PDA

View Full Version : My Daily BIble study - Galations (2)

Frances
Nov 27th 2010, 04:18 PM
Galations

Quote:- (David Pawson) “The liberty of the Spirit is not doing what you want, and it is not doing what others tell you, it is letting the Spirit guide you . . . it is not the freedom to Sin, it is the freedom not to Sin. That is real freedom. Chapters 1+2 talk about this liberty, chapters 3+4 talk about the legalism that can spoil it, and chapters 5+6 talk about the opposite danger, licence . . . to keep liberty and avoid legalism and licence is quite a delicate operation.”

Galations 1
What does the text say? – Paul is scared that the churches in Galatia (which included Iconium, Lystra, Derbe, and maybe Psidion Antioch) are following something that is a corruption of the Good News. Paul explains that he was appointed an Apostle by Jesus Christ, who gave Himself for our Sins, and God the Father who had raised Him from the dead. Paul was amazed that those who he had brought to the Lord should turn away from the Gospel to a distorted gospel; he says he seeks to please Christ not men, and what he taught was revealed to him by Jesus Christ. Paul reminded his readers how he had formerly persecuted the Church and tried to destroy it; he had been very zealous for the traditions of Judaism, however God called him and revealed His Son to him, so that he would proclaim the Good News to the Gentiles, he had then gone to Arabia. 3 years later Paul went to Jerusalem and stayed with Peter for 15 days and met James (Jesus’ brother). After that he went to Syria and Cilicia. No one in the Judean churches knew Paul by sight, but heard of his change of heart, his preaching, and how he Glorified God.

Application? – Do I Glorify God by doing the Work He gave me, in spite of difficulties? Or am I disobedient to Him? Could I be perverting the Gospel of Christ in any way, by adding or removing anything? Is my primary concern to please Christ or other people? Do I offend people unnecessarily when speaking of the way to Christ and continuing to live with Him? Have I had a revelation of Jesus Christ? Have I ‘seen’ Him dying in my place? Have I seen the resurrected Jesus Christ who is Alive for evermore, and accepted His Power to do His Will, His Way for His Glory? Do I stand up for Him in hostile situations?

Frances
Dec 1st 2010, 04:27 PM
Galations 2

What does the text say? – Paul said that 14 years later he went back to Jerusalem with Barnabus and Titus, in obedience to the Lord. When there he met privately with those considered the leaders of the Church, and told them what he had been preaching, yet they didn’t compel Titus to be circumcised even though he was a Gentile; that subject only came up because some who called themselves Christians wanted to take away the freedom Christ’s followers have in Him, and force them to follow Jewish regulations. Because Paul wanted to preserve the liberty of the Gospel. The leaders agreed that the task of sharing the Gospel with the Gentiles was given to Paul, just as telling the Jews was given to Peter, to which James and John agreed. When Peter arrived in Antioch he ate with Gentiles, but when men from James arrived he, and the rest of the Jews, no longer ate with them; so Paul told him he was a hypocrite knowing that no one is justified by obeying the Law. Paul said that he had been crucified with Christ, it was no longer he who lived but Christ who lived in him; and the life he was living in the flesh he lived by faith in the Son of God who loved us and gave Himself for us, and said if righteousness comes through keeping the Law then Christ died in vain.

Application? – Do I frequently check with Scripture to ensure that what I believe to be true is accurate? Do I live in the Freedom Jesus bought for me , or is my life bound by rules and regulations that have been added to God’s requirements for a Christian? Do I fully realise the Lord has given me a different task to some other Christians? Am I a hypocrite? Does what I do encourage others to be hypocritical? Do I correct folk in public or private depending on whether the misdemeanour was in public or private? Am I aware that no one is made right with God by obeying rules and regulations? Has my whole self been crucified with Christ? If so I will automatically be totally obedient to Christ at all times. If keeping religious rules and regulations, and undergoing ceremonies, would make me right with God then Christ died for nothing.

Frances
Dec 2nd 2010, 04:18 PM
Galations 3
What does the text say? –Paul said the Galatians action suggested they were under a spell. He asked if they had received the Holy Spirit by keeping the Law or by faith in Christ; he asked why, having started their Christian lives in the Spirit, they were trying to become perfect by their own human efforts. Paul said the real descendants of Abraham are those who put their faith in God, who told Abraham that all nations would be Blessed who put their faith in Him. Those who put their faith in the Law would be cursed for Scripture says that it is through faith that a righteous person has Life. Christ has redeemed us from the curse of the Law, so the blessings of Abraham might be received by faith through Jesus Christ who is His Seed. When Christ hung on the Cross He took upon Himself the curse for our Sin. The Promise God made to Abraham could not be annulled 430 years later by the Law. The Law was given as well as the Covenant to show people their Sins, but the Law was only meant to last until the Child who was Promised came. The Scriptures declare that we are all prisoners of Sin and we can only receive God’s Promise of freedom by believing in Jesus Christ. Those who put their faith in Christ are sons of God, and all who have faith in Christ and have been baptised are able to have the character of Christ. Your social status and nationality no longer matters, for all those who trust Christ are one group; if you belong to Christ you are Abraham’s heir, and therefore heir to the Promises God made to him.

Application? – I can only receive the Holy Spirit by faith in Jesus Christ – not by going through any ceremony or effort. Am I trying to become perfect by my own efforts? If I truly trust God I will receive the same Blessings Abraham received because of his faith. Do I obey God to receive His Blessings, or to thank Him for Blessings I have already received because I trust in Christ and have received His Holy Spirit?

Frances
Dec 3rd 2010, 05:37 PM
Galations 4
What does the text say? – God gave his people the Law at Sinai to encourage them to learn to please Him, and told them rewards of being obedient, and the penalties of disobedience, to Him – so that when the time was right they could receive the Promise. When God’s time had come He sent His Son to be born under the Law, to redeem those under the Law, so we might become His adopted children. Because we are His children we are no longer slaves but heirs to His Promises through faith in Christ. Paul wants to know why the Galations want to turn away from the freedom they have in Christ to try to earn God’s favour in the old ways; he pleaded with his readers to live in the Freedom Christ had bought for them, and stop acting as though He had never come. Abraham had 2 sons. One by a slave woman according to the flesh and one by a free woman according to God’s Promise and intervention. These are symbolic and relate to the earthly Jerusalem (Hagar) and the Heavenly Jerusalem (Sarai). Those born of the flesh have always persecuted those born of the Spirit. Only those born of the Spirit will inherit the Promises of God.

Application? – Do I fully realise the extent of the Freedom I have in Christ? Do I try to earn God’s Favour by combining the Gospel with the Mosaic Law? Is my relationship with God one of rules I must keep, or the freedom of total trust of Him, and acting in love for Him? Are my actions governed by gratitude for Jesus, or fear of repercussions if I don’t obey every rule and regulation? Have I added rules and regulations to the only essentials at the start of the Christian Life – which are Repent, Believe, Be baptised and Receive the Holy Spirit.

Frances
Dec 4th 2010, 03:53 PM
Galations 5
What does the text say? - As Christ has set you free do not become slaves to the Law again. Circumcision will not make you right with God, but it will mean you must keep all of the Law as well, and you will have cut yourself off from Christ, and fallen from God’s Grace. We who live by the Spirit put our faith in the righteousness God has Promised and express our faith in love, not in religious ceremonies. False ‘Christian’ teaching contaminates everyone in the Church. Paul wants Christians to use their Freedom to serve one another in love, for the whole Law can be summed up as ‘love your neighbour as yourself’. If you let the Holy Spirit guide you, you will always act with love, therefore you will not commit any form of sexual immorality, idolatry, hatred, quarrelling, selfish ambitions, dissention, division, envy, drunkenness, wild parties, etc. for no one practicing such things will inherit the Kingdom of God; but the Fruit of the Spirit is Love, Joy, Peace, Longsuffering, Kindness, Goodness, Faithfulness, Gentleness, Self-control. Those who are Christ’s have crucified their fleshly passions and desires.

Application? – Am I trying to become a Christian by what I do, or by trusting what Christ has done on the cross to have paid the penalty for my Sin? Do I live in the liberty Christ bought for me? Have I, wrongly, added any ‘churchianity’ to my Christian faith? Does my lifestyle show that I have, or have not, crucified my fleshly passions and desires? Is my faith in Christ evident by the growth of the Fruit of the Spirit in my life? Am I conceited?

Quote :- (David Pawson)”In the Christian you will find all the flavours of the Fruit of the Spirit . . . it is limited, of course, without the Gifts of the Spirit, just as the Gifts are inadequate without the Fruit . . . Legalism is all over the place . People are trying to get to heaven by their own works. Or, having started in faith, they are going back to works, which is tragic . . . you will not inherit the Kingdom of God if you deliberately go back to Sin.

Frances
Dec 5th 2010, 03:06 PM
Galations 6
What does the text say? - If another Christian is overcome by Sin, gently and humbly, help them to overcome it – being careful not to fall into the same temptation yourself. Demonstrate your Christian life by sharing each other’s burdens. Don’t kid yourself into thinking you are too important to help others – you are not. Do your own job well, then you won’t be tempted to compare yourself with others. Ensure those who teach you about the Word of God are adequately provided for , and share your spiritual insights with them. Don’t sow what you don’t want a harvest from; whatever ‘little’ Sins you allow yourself to commit, you will ensure a harvest of decay and death. Those who live to please the Holy Spirit will have a harvest of everlasting Life, so don’t tire of pleasing the Lord for then you will harvest many Blessings - if you don’t give up; so take every opportunity to do good to everyone, especially other Christians. Those who want to add their chosen religious ceremonies to Christianity don’t want to be persecuted for teaching that the Cross of Christ alone can Save, but just want to claim you as one of their group. What really does matter is that we are transformed into people Christ will be pleased to own as His disciples.

Application? – Do I take care not to be tempted to sin? Do I help those who have given in to temptation to renounce it and be restored to Christ? Do I demonstrate Christ’s Love to others by helping them physically and spiritually? Do I do the tasks the Lord has given me, at this time, to the best of my ability? or do I try to get out of it and do something ‘better’ instead? Do I complain when others treat me as I treat them? if so, would I be wise to treat others as I want to be treated? When evangelising do I ‘water down’ the Gospel or add requirements for Salvation? (if so, are those I lead to Christ really saved? Or have I immunised them against becoming a Christian?) Has my life been transformed by my faith in Christ?

Quote:- (David Pawson) “Paul’s letter to the Galations is one of the most relevant letters, though not one of the most comfortable, and I would share the opinion of those who say this letter is the Magna Carta of Christian liberty . . . many people are standing for other kinds of freedom, good or bad, but the freedom we stand for is the freedom not to sin, the freedom to keep out of the cage called legalism, and out of the swamp called licence, and the freedom to enjoy the Blessings of God’s Favour”.