PDA

View Full Version : Matthew 6:15?

HeLivesInYou
Nov 30th 2010, 12:04 AM
I believe that as long as we accept and believe that Jesus Christ is the Son of God, that through Him we are eternally saved.

But after reading Matthew 6:15:

"But if you do not forgive others their sins, your Father will not forgive your sins."
biblegateway

I fear now that I haven't forgiven someone for something that I may have forgotten about or I die before forgiving someone for something and God won't forgive me. :cry:

I know there are several verses in the Bible that say that when we accept Jesus and believe that he is the Son of God we are saved eternally. Such as:

Romans 8:1-2:

1 Therefore, there is now no condemnation for those who are in Christ Jesus, 2 because through Christ Jesus the law of the Spirit who gives life has set you free from the law of sin and death.
biblegateway

Am I just confused on the true meaning of this verse or will God really not forgive me if there is someone I haven't forgiven?

What do I do if there is something I haven't forgiven of someone that I have forgotten?

Sorry if this is, kind of a silly question, but I'm concerned.

-SEEKING-
Nov 30th 2010, 12:18 AM
Ask Jesus to forgive you for anyone that you may not have forgiven. And ask Him to show you any hidden sins you may have and are not aware of so that He can forgive you and you won't have any more guilt.

Bandit
Nov 30th 2010, 12:28 AM
I believe that as long as we accept and believe that Jesus Christ is the Son of God, that through Him we are eternally saved.

"But if you do not forgive others their sins, your Father will not forgive your sins."
biblegateway

I fear now that I haven't forgiven someone for something that I may have forgotten about or I die before forgiving someone for something and God won't forgive me. :cry:

I know there are several verses in the Bible that say that when we accept Jesus and believe that he is the Son of God we are saved eternally. Such as:

1 Therefore, there is now no condemnation for those who are in Christ Jesus, 2 because through Christ Jesus the law of the Spirit who gives life has set you free from the law of sin and death.
biblegateway

Am I just confused on the true meaning of this verse or will God really not forgive me if there is someone I haven't forgiven?

What do I do if there is something I haven't forgiven of someone that I have forgotten?

Hello HeLivesInYou,

First, know that I am not a 'once saved always saved' guy, but aside from that, I believe Matthew 6:15 (like the parable in the 2nd half of Matthew 18) has to do with intentional unwillingness to forgive another (one who has asked for forgiveness) rather than "Oh, I forgot to forgive that person." It is not a silly question.

Caleb
Nov 30th 2010, 01:37 AM
Hi HeLivesInYou!

We are told that we must forgive from the heart. (not the head)

If there is anyone you have not forgiven, then it will be on your heart and you will know it.

There may be some who have had a bad thought or done a bad deed towards you, and you may have not ever know about it.
When I pray, I often ask the Lord that no one would be held accountable to Him, for any wrong they have done towards me.

To not forgive is not a sin, for if that was so then how can God not forgive?
Forgiveness is an act of grace and mercy

BroRog
Nov 30th 2010, 03:36 PM

biblegateway

biblegateway

You aren't confused about the meaning of Matthew 6:15. If a man is not willing to forgive others, then God won't forgive that man. The willingness to forgive others demonstrates a particular type of heart and mind. Why do we forgive others? We forgive others because we know that in many ways we are no different than they. We sympathize with those who have hurt us, because we have hurt others ourselves. And since we are as guilty of offending God's moral vision as anyone else, and if we want forgiveness from him, then we should want forgiveness for them also.

Now, as for times when you didn't forgive others in the past. I would say, don't worry about it; move forward from here. God is not keeping score, so to speak. What is important is whether or not you are humble, contrite, and honest right now. Remember, if he is forgiving you, he is forgiving you for those times you forgot to forgive others.

With regard to Romans 8:1, as you can see, there is no condemnation for those who are in Christ Jesus. To be "IN" Christ Jesus is to be his follower, to have a heart like his in you, to have a desire to serve God in you, to love others as he love them, and etc. This would also include a desire to forgive others as God has forgiven you. Paul is saying, if you are this kind of person, you will not be damned to eternal destruction, but God will grant you eternal life.

RollTide21
Nov 30th 2010, 04:51 PM
If you truly have a heart for God through Christ, you desire forgiveness for those who have wronged you. The fact that you made this thread is evidence of that. Your heart is in the right place. God is not going to condemn you for a wrong that you forgot about. If there is unresolved resentment toward someone, the Spirit would point that out to you. I'm positive of that.