PDA

View Full Version : My Daily Bible Study - 1 Samuel (2)

Frances
Dec 6th 2010, 05:02 PM
Samuel
Samuel was a connecting link between Judges and the kingdom of Israel, telling of events between 1100 and 1050 BC. Ramah, about 6 miles north of Jerusalem was the place of his birth, judicial residence, and burial. Bethel was about 5 miles north of Ramah, Mizpah 3 miles west, Gibeah (Saul’s home) about half way between Ramah and Jerusalem, Bethlehem 12 miles South of Ramah, Shiloh 15 miles north of Ramah was where Joshua set up the Tabernacle (Josh. 18:1) and where Samuel ministered as a child. Kiriath-jearim, about 8 miles south-west of Ramah was where the Ark was kept after returning from the Philistines.

1 Samuel 1
What does the text say? – Elkanah, a Levite Ephraimite, and his 2 wives went to sacrifice to the Lord at Shiloh each year. He gave his wife Hannah, who was childless, double the amount of the meat as he gave Peninah and her children. Each year Peninah mocked Hannah because she was childless, and reduced her to tears, which distressed Elkanah. One day, when at Shiloh, Hannah went to pray to the Lord, and promised that if He gave her a son she would give him back to the Lord, as a Nazarite. Eli, the priest, thought her drunk at first but when he realised she wasn’t he said “go in peace, and may the God of Israel grant your request.” Hannah had a son and called him Samuel (heard by God). When Samuel was weaned (usually about 5 years old) his parents took him to Eli with 3 bulls, an ephah of flour and a skin of wine.

Application? – Do I ever mock anyone? Do I realise how much pain mockery can cause? Do I always tell the Lord of those things that distress me and ask for His help – either to change me or the circumstance? Do I always keep my promises to God?

Frances
Dec 9th 2010, 04:39 PM
1 Samuel 2
What does the text say? – Hannah praised the Lord for being in control of all things, then Elkanah and his family went home, leaving Samuel to serve the Lord by assisting Eli the priest? Eli’s sons were scoundrels who had no respect for the Lord or for their sacred duties. They treated the Lord’s offerings with contempt. But Samuel served the Lord, and each year his mother brought him a robe for him – she also had 3 more sons and 2 daughters. Eli knew what his sons were doing and remonstrated with them, but they took no notice and continued to lead the people into sin. The Lord sent a prophet to Eli to tell him that God would bring his family line to an end, and to prove it both of his sons would die on the same day; then the Lord God would raise up another priest to serve Him, and his descendants would serve Him forever. The Lord said He would honour those who honour Him, and despise those who despise Him.

Application? – Do I sing the Lord’s praises from my heart, or do the words have no real meaning for me? Do I serve the Lord in ways that please Him, or do I use the position He has given me just to please myself? Do I faithfully serve the Lord whatever those around me are doing?

Frances
Dec 10th 2010, 04:45 PM
1 Samuel 3
What does the text say? – Samuel served the Lord by assisting Eli, who was going blind. In those days it was rare for anyone to hear directly from the Lord. The lamp of God was still alight and Samuel was asleep in the Tabernacle near the Ark when the Lord called him by name. Samuel thought it was Eli calling him and ran to him, Eli sent him back to bed; this happened 3 times. The 3rd time Eli realised the Lord had called Samuel, so told the boy if he was called again to reply “speak Lord, your servant is listening”. The Lord Called, and Samuel responded, then the Lord told Samuel He would carry out all His threats against Eli and his family, and neither Eli nor his family would be forgiven by sacrifices or offerings. In the morning Eli asked Samuel what the Lord had said to him, so Samuel told him, and Eli accepted the Word of the Lord. The Lord was with Samuel and all he said was reliable. All Israel, from Dan to Beersheba, knew Samuel was a prophet of the Lord as He continued to give Samuel His Word.

Application? – Do I recognise the Lord’s Voice? Do I take notice of what He says? Do I act on what the Lord says to me? So I realise that there are consequences of my disobedience to the Lord, and bringing discredit to His Name? Do I realise He is very unlikely to remove those consequences – though He may use them in some way. Is the Lord revealed to those I meet, through what I say and do?

Frances
Dec 11th 2010, 03:33 PM
1 Samuel 4+5
What does the text say? – The Israelites and Philistines fought and Israel was beaten, losing about 4,000 men. Eli’s sons, Phinehas and Hophni, went with the Ark to the battle-front from Shiloh – thinking that God would then fight for His people. The Israelites were defeated again losing about 30,000 men, including Phinehas and Hophni, and the Ark was captured. When Eli, who was 98, was told he fell off his seat backwards and his neck was broken, so he died. Eli had judged Israel for 40 years. Eli’s daughter in law gave premature birth to a son and called him Ichabod (the name of a philistine idol) saying the Glory had departed from Israel.
The Philistines put the Ark in the temple of their god Dagon in Ashod. In the morning their god Dagon had fallen on it’s face in front of the Ark, so they stood it up again. Next morning it had fallen again with it’s head and hands broken off. The people in, and around Ashod were stricken with tumours (probably bubonic plague [6:15]) so the leaders decided to send the Ark to Gath, then the people of Gath sent it to Ekron, who decided to send it back to the Israelites because of the plague that accompanied it.

Application? – Have I put my faith in God or something associated with Him? When I am defeated in any way could it be because I have not ensured that God is truly worshipped and Glorified? Will God destroy what I worship? Could my ill-health be a test from the Lord? Or punishment because I don’t worship Him alone? Or just the result of living in a fallen world?

Frances
Dec 12th 2010, 04:18 PM
1 Samuel 6

What does the text say? – The Ark of the Lord was in the land of the Philistines for 7 months before the leaders decided how to get rid of it and the problems having it had caused. Their priests and diviners said that if they sent a guilt offering of 5 gold tumours and 5 gold rats, one for each of the cities the Ark had been kept in, and put the box beside the Ark on a new cart pulled by 2 freshly calved cows, whose calves had been shut away from them, then let the cows choose which way to go. If the cows went towards Israelite land they’d know their ill-health was from God, if they went the other way they’d know the tumours afflicted them quite by chance. When the cows were released they went straight to Beth Shemesh, where the people were harvesting their wheat; when they saw the Ark they were overjoyed and used the cart for a fire and the cows for a burnt offering to the Lord. However the Lord killed 50,000 men of Beth Shemesh because they looked into the Ark (Numbers 4:15-20). Then the people asked the people of Kirjath Jearim to come a fetch the Ark.

Application? – What angered the Lord ‘yesterday’ will anger Him ‘today’ and ‘tomorrow’ as well. Is anything I do contrary to His revealed will? If so, the Lord is unlikely to forgive me unless I’m trusting Jesus Christ to have died in my place on the Cross, and desire to please Him in all I do.

Frances
Dec 13th 2010, 06:20 PM
1 Samuel 7

What does the text say? – The Ark was put in the house of Abinadab, and his son Eleazar was consecrated to be responsible for it. The Ark remained there for 20 years. During that time the Israelites thought the Lord had abandoned them. Samuel told the people if they were really serious about returning to the Lord they must get rid of all their idols and worship Him alone. Samuel told the Israelites to gather at Mizpah, where they fasted and confessed their Sins. The Philistine army were on their way to fight the Israelites at Mizpah, so Samuel pleaded with the Lord and sacrificed a young lamb as a burnt offering. As the Philistines drew near the Lord answered His people with mighty thunderings, which so confused the Philistines that the Israelites defeated them and drove them back to Beth Car, where Samuel erected a large stone, and named it Ebenezar(stone of help). The Lord was against the Philistines for the rest of Samuel’s life. The villages near the Israelite boundary, from Ekron to Gath, were returned to Israel; also there was peace between Israel and the Amorites. Samuel lived in Ramah where he built an altar to the Lord; each year he travelled from there to Bethel, Gilgal and Mizpah judging the people.

Application? – Do I (wrongly) expect the Lord to protect me when I worship other gods (eg. sport, shopping, sex, study etc.) Am I wholeheartedly committed to the Lord? Do I Glorify Him in all I do? Although the Lord gives His Help to overcome my enemies I must be cleansed from all Sin, and ready to fight under His Banner at all times.
Note:- God enabled the Israelites to defeat the Philistines in the same place the Philistines had captured the Ark (4:1; 7:12). The Ark was never taken back to Shiloh, so it lost it’s status as an important place.

Frances
Dec 14th 2010, 04:16 PM
1 Samuel 8

What does the text say? – When Samuel was old he made his sons, Joel and Abijah, judges over Israel – but they were dishonest in many ways and perverted justice. The Elders of Israel went to Samuel about this matter and demanded that he made them a king to rule over them, such as other nations had. Samuel was distressed, and prayed about the matter. The Lord said the people had not rejected Samuel, but had rejected Him as they had done many times before. The Lord told Samuel to do as the people asked, but first he must warn them how a king would behave and treat them; he must warn them that they would all, in effect, be the kings slaves. The people took no notice of what Samuel said, or believe that God would not listen to them when they cried to Him when in distress, and insisted that they wanted a king to rule over them and lead them into battle. So Samuel sent the Elders home.

Application? – Am I always totally honest? Are my judgments always just, or are they made to benefit me in some way? Does my behaviour encourage others to obey God or to turn away from Him? Do I warn folk of the results for them of turning away from the Lord God? Do I realise that the Lord will not help me if I don’t allow Him to rule every detail of my life? As the Lord is not allowed to rule my nation am I, in effect, it’s slave?

Frances
Dec 15th 2010, 04:52 PM
1 Samuel 9

What does the text say? – Saul’s father, Kish a Benjaminite, asked him to go to find the donkeys that were lost. Saul and a servant searched for 3 days without finding them. Near Zuph Saul decided to go home, but his servant said there was a seer (prophet) in the city, so they went to consult him. The previous day the Lord had told Samuel He was sending a man of Benjamin to him the next day who Samuel must anoint to be the leader of His people. So Samuel had invited 30 people to a feast, and told the cook to keep the leg separate. Saul and his servant met Samuel on his way to the feast, and the Lord told Samuel this was the man He’d spoken of; so Samuel told them the donkeys had been found, and that they must accompany him to the feast – where he gave them the best seats. Samuel told the cook to give the leg to Saul; at the end of the feast Samuel made a bed for Saul on the roof of the house, then accompanied them to the outskirts of the town at daybreak, telling Saul to send his servant ahead.

Application? – God doesn’t necessarily choose people for special positions because of their family connections. Could calamities (eg. losing donkeys) be what the Lord uses to get me in the place of His choosing?

Frances
Dec 16th 2010, 04:34 PM
1 Samuel 10
What does the text say? – Samuel poured a flask of oil on Saul’s head and told him the Lord had appointed him to be the ruler of Israel, then Samuel told Saul that, on his way home, he would meet 2 men by Rachel’s tomb who would tell him that the donkeys had been found then, at Mount Tabor, he’d meet 3 men on their way to worship the Lord God at Bethel, with 3 young goats, 3 loaves of bread, and a skin of wine; they’d offer Saul 2 of the loaves which he must accept. At Gibea he would meet a group of prophets and be filled with the Spirit of the Lord, would prophecy and be turned into a different person( Born again?), then Saul must go to Gilgal and wait for Samuel, who would join him to sacrifice Burnt and Peace offerings 7 days later. All these things came true. Later Samuel called all the people of Israel to the Lord at Mizpah, where he told them their rejection of God as their leader, and demands for a king, had been heard by God and He would choose their king. Saul was hiding, but was presented to the people and Samuel explained the rights and duties of kings, he wrote them down then sent the people home. When Saul went home to Gibea a group of men whose hearts God had touched went with him.

Application? – What is the task God has given me? Has the Spirit of the Lord come upon me? Has my heart been changed by the Lord? The Lord may confirm my appointment in very ordinary ways. Am I fulfilling the task God has given me? Do I recognise His Voice? Am I obeying Him? Has the Lord appointed me to be a leader or a helper? Do I despise anyone the Lord has chosen to be a leader? Am I wise enough to keep silent when despised and ignored?

Quote:- (David Pawson) - “the last public thing Samuel does as a prophet is to anoint Saul as king. The people know . . . that God is their king, but they want a king who is visible. At first Samuel is offended by their request , until God reminds him that he has no right to take offence, for it is God they have rejected”.

Frances
Dec 17th 2010, 04:09 PM
1 Samuel 11+12
What does the text say? – When the king of Ammon led his army against Jabesh Gilead the citizens asked for a treaty instead of war. The king agreed on conditions that everyone had one eye gouged out. The citizens sent messengers to all Israel asking for help. When Saul heard of it the Spirit of the Lord motivated him to kill 2 oxen and send pieces all over Israel, saying the same thing would happen to anyone who didn’t go to war with him and Samuel. 300,000 men of Israel and 30,000 from Judah assembled at Bezek. Saul divided them into 3 companies and launched a surprise attack on the Ammonites, killing many and scattering the rest. Some of the Israelites wanted to execute those who hadn’t wanted Saul to be their ruler, but Saul refused as God had given Israel the victory that day. Then Samuel led the people to Gilgal, and in a solemn ceremony made Saul their king, and made Peace offerings to the Lord. Samuel reminded the people of the history of their nation, and said that if they obeyed the Lord in future the Lord would be with them and their king, but if they turned away from Him the Lord would be against them; he reminded them that it didn’t rain at that time of year, and prayed that the Lord would send thunder to indicate their wickedness in asking for a king. Then the Lord sent thunder. Samuel told the people not to go back to worshipping idols, and promised to continues to pray for them and teach them the good and right way, but said if they continued to displease the Lord both they, and their king, would be swept away.

Application? – Do I go to help those in trouble – however inconvenient that may be? Do I ensure those I follow are serving the Lord? Have I gone back to disregarding the Lord? The Lord will not willingly abandon me, but if I continue to sin He will. If I do not pray for the Lord’s people, and teach them the good and right way, I Sin against Him

Frances
Dec 18th 2010, 03:46 PM
1 Samuel 13

What does the text say? – Two years later Saul chose 2,000 men to be with him at Michmash and 1,000 to be with Jonathan at Gibeah of Benjamin. Before long Johathan attacked, and defeated the Philistine garrison at Geba – which made the Philistines want their revenge. Saul summoned the entire Israelite army to join him at Gilgal. The Philistines had 3,000 chariots and 6,000 horsemen and multitudes of warriors. The Israelite army waited with Saul at Gilgal for Samuel(10:8) and his men were leaving him; so instead of waiting for Samuel, to ask for God’s Presence and help among them in the forthcoming battle, Saul made the Burnt offering himself. When Samuel arrived he told Saul he had been very foolish as God would have established his kingdom for ever, but because of Saul’s ungodly action God would find Himself someone whose heart was truly His. Saul and Jonathan had only 600 men left to meet the Philistines at Gibeah. The Philistines sent out 3 companies of men in different directions then set up their camp at Michmash. The only blacksmiths were Philistines, so the only Israelites with a sword or spear were Saul and Jonathan. The pass(only way between the rocks) at Michmash was in the hands of the Philistines.

Application? – have any of my actions caused problems for others? Have I ever lost patience and done someone else’s task? Have my actions distanced me from the Lord’s intended Blessings for me?

Quote (Henry H. Halley) “Tall, handsome and humble, Saul began his reign with a brilliant victory over the Ammonites. Any misgivings about the new kingdom disappeared. . . .
Saul’s successes rapidly went to his head. Humility gave place to pride. He offered sacrifice, which was the exclusive function of priests. This was the first sign of Saul’s self-importance. “

Frances
Dec 19th 2010, 07:15 PM
1 Samuel 14

What does the text say? – Jonathan and his armour-bearer went to the Philistine outpost between Michmash and Gibeah, without telling anyone; acknowledging that the Lord can win battles with only a few faithful warriors, they believed if the Philistines told Jonathan to go to them then God would fight with them. This happened, and the 2 of them killed about 20 men. This caused the Philistine army, and raiding parties, to panic; then there was an earthquake. Seeing the Philistine army in confusion, Saul discovered Jonathan and his armour-bearer were missing, and led his army into battle. Those of his troops that had hidden because they were afraid joined the battle, and also those Israelites who had previously defected returned, and the Philistines ran away. The Israelites were exhausted because Saul had cursed anyone who had anything to eat till sunset. Jonathan didn’t know of his father’s curse, so ate some honeycomb he found, then someone told him of the curse saying that was why they were all so weak and weary. The Israelites chased the Philistines all day from Michmash to Aijalon. That evening the army was so hungry that they killed animals and ate them without draining the blood. When Saul heard this he built an altar to the Lord to slaughter the animals on, so the blood could be drained. Saul asked God if they would go to fight the Philistines during the night but He didn’t answer, so Saul decided someone must have sinned. He discovered Jonathan had eaten the honey, and sentenced him to death, but the people save Jonathan, saying he had won a great victory. The commander of Saul’s army was his cousin Abner. Israel was constantly at war with the Philistines, and Saul drafted any strong and brave man into the army.

Application? – I don’t have to be part of a large, vibrant church to be used by the Lord, He can use just a few to fulfil His purposes. Do I ever put unwise restrictions on other people? If so, do I then make things worse by penalising anyone not sticking to my rules? Could my rules encourage other people to ignore God’s rules? Do I blame others if I don’t hear from God? Do I ever consider that the reason I don’t hear from God may be my fault?

Frances
Dec 20th 2010, 03:42 PM
1 Samuel 15
What does the text say? – Samuel told Saul that the Lord said He would punish the Amalekites for the way they’d treated His people on their way from Egypt, so Saul must go to attack them, and totally destroy them and their animals. Then Saul took 210,000 men to attack the Amalekites, but first he warned the Kenites among them because they had been kind to the Isrealites on their way from Egypt, so that they could leave the area. All the Amalekites were destroyed, but Agag their king, and the best of the animals were kept alive. The Lord told Samuel He regretted making Saul king because he didn’t totally obey Him. Samuel went to meet Saul who said the best of the animals had been saved to sacrifice them to the Lord at Gilgal, but Samuel said that because Saul had not obeyed the Lord He had rejected Saul as king of Israel. God wants obedience, and regards it more highly than sacrifice; He regards disobedience as bad as witchcraft. Saul acknowledged his Sin so Samuel went with him to worship the Lord at Gilgal, he commanded that Agag be brought to him and then killed him. Then Samuel went home to Ramah and never saw Saul again, but mourned constantly for what might have been.

Application? – Could difficulties I face be because of un-repented Sin from long ago? Do I totally obey the Lord, or add on to His directions what I hope will please Him. Could I have incurred God’s wrath when I thought I was pleasing Him? Have my ‘good intentions’ separated me from what I most desire? Is what I am ‘doing for the Lord’ really what He wants me to do for Him?

Frances
Dec 21st 2010, 05:11 PM
1 Samuel 16

What does the text say? – the Lord asked Samuel how long he was going to mourn for Saul, and said he must go to Jesse the Bethlehemite to anoint one of his sons as the next king. Samuel feared that Saul would kill him, but the Lord told him to say he had come to sacrifice to Him and he was to invite Jesse to the sacrifice. Samuel did as the Lord said, and he told the town elders to come to the sacrifice. Seven of Jesse’s sons were introduced to Samuel, but each time the Lord said that was not His choice, as He looks at the heart not the outward appearance, so Samuel asked Jesse if he had any more sons, and was told the youngest, David, was looking after the sheep. Samuel refused to sit down until David came; when David arrived the Lord told Samuel to anoint him, then the Holy Spirit came on David from then onwards. But God’s Spirit departed from Saul, and the Lord sent a spirit of depression to him; his servants suggested a musician to play to him when depressed, and Saul agreed. One of Saul’s servants recommended David, so Saul sent for him, loved him, and made him his armour-bearer. When Saul was depressed David would play the harp and Saul would feel well again.

Application? – Do I waste time, energy and emotion mourning for what might have been ‘if only’? Do I always allow the Lord to guide me, in spite of my fears? Do I judge folk by their physical appearance, financial position, intellectual ability etc. – or by their heart attitude to the Lord? Do I fear to disobey the Lord in case His spirit departs from me? Am I willing to wait for the Lord’s timing when He has made clear how He will use me to Glorify Him? Am I willing to do what I can to help the one the Lord has said I will replace?

Frances
Dec 22nd 2010, 05:00 PM
1 Samuel 17
What does the text say? – The Philistines gathered on a hill between Socoh and Azekah ready for battle, so Saul gathered the Israelite army on a hill opposite the Philistines with the valley between them. Goliath, who was over 9 feet tall, wore bronze armour and whose spear-head weighed 15-20lbs, taunted the Israelites twice each day, saying he’d fight one of them and whoever won would also have the loser’s nation as servants. All the Israelites were very frightened. Jesse had 8 sons and the 3 eldest were fighting with Saul; he sent David, his youngest son, to take provisions for his brothers. David was with his brothers when Goliath was delivering his challenge on the 40th day; he also learned that Saul had promised to give riches, his daughter in marriage, and freedom from taxes for all his family, to the one who killed Goliath. David told Saul he would fight Goliath, he had killed lions and bears that attacked the sheep and God would protect him, and give him victory as he fought Goliath also. David refuse the armour Saul wanted to give him and went to meet Goliath with weapons he was used to using – a staff and stones for his sling. Goliath cursed David, but David had confidence in the Lord God, and knew the battle was the Lord’s and He would give the victory. David killed Goliath using his sling and a stone, then cut off Goliath’s head with his own sword. The Philistine army fled, with the Israelites chasing them all the way back to Gath.

Application? – Am I paralysed with fear of those who insult Jesus Christ, or do I stand up for Him? Do I discredit those who feel led to do what I am afraid to do? Do I think battles must always be fought as I would fight them? Do I fight those fighting against the Lord’s people with His Armour and whatever ability I have, or try to use weapons and armour I have no experience of? Do I trust the Lord enough to believe He will give the victory against His Enemies? The Lord will give me small battles to fight, and win, then gradually bigger ones, to strengthen my faith in Him, to enable me to fight even bigger battles with Him.

Frances
Dec 23rd 2010, 03:28 PM
1 Samuel 18

What does the text say? – Saul kept David with him from then onwards, and his son Jonathan and David became firm friends. Whatever Saul asked David to do he did very well, so Saul made him a commander in the army, which pleased the officers and people. When Saul heard the women praising David more than himself he became jealous. Next day Saul became depressed so David played his harp as previously, and Saul threw his spear at him twice, but David escaped. Saul was afraid of David so made him captain over 1,000 soldiers and it was clear that the Lord was with him. Saul’s daughter Michal loved David so Saul said he’d give her to David for his wife, her dowry would be 100 Philistine foreskins – thinking David would be killed. David and his men gave Saul 200 Philistine foreskins, so Michal became David’s wife, and Saul was even more afraid of David. As time went on David succeeded in all he did, but Saul was his enemy, but David became famous in Israel and Judah.

Application? – Do I always behave well? If I am jealous of anyone my bitterness will affect my whole life. Could anyone be against me because they are jealous of the Lord’s Presence with me? Do I ever praise anyone in the hearing of someone who is jealous of them – and make the situation worse? Is jealousy of someone making me bitter and encouraging me to act against the Lord? Have I ever tried to kill the reputation of someone I’m jealous of?

Frances
Dec 25th 2010, 10:51 AM
1 Samuel 18
What does the text say? – Saul kept David with him from then onwards, and his son Jonathan and David became firm friends. Whatever Saul asked David to do he did very well, so Saul made him a commander in the army, which pleased the officers and people. When Saul heard the women praising David more than himself he became jealous. Next day Saul became depressed so David played his harp as previously, and Saul threw his spear at him twice, but David escaped. Saul was afraid of David so made him captain over 1,000 soldiers and it was clear that the Lord was with him. Saul’s daughter Michal loved David so Saul said he’d give her to David for his wife, her dowry would be 100 Philistine foreskins – thinking David would be killed. David and his men gave Saul 200 Philistine foreskins, so Michal became David’s wife, and Saul was even more afraid of David. As time went on David succeeded in all he did, but Saul was his enemy, but David became famous in Israel and Judah.

Application? – Do I always behave well? If I am jealous of anyone my bitterness will affect my whole life. Could anyone be against me because they are jealous of the Lord’s Presence with me? Do I ever praise anyone in the hearing of someone who is jealous of them – and make the situation worse? Is jealousy of someone making me bitter and encouraging me to act against the Lord? Have I ever tried to kill the reputation of someone I’m jealous of?

Frances
Dec 26th 2010, 04:35 PM
1 Samuel 19
What does the text say? – Saul told Jonathan and all his servants he wanted David killed. As David and Jonathan were good friends Jonathan told David and asked him to hide until morning when he would find out more from his father. Jonathan asked Saul not to Sin against David, and reminded him of the times David had risked his life to give Israel victory over their enemies. Saul listened to Jonathan and vowed that David would not be killed; so David continued to serve Saul at home and with the army. Some time later David was playing his harp for Saul when the king hurled his spear at David, who managed to escape into the darkness, leaving the spear stuck in the wall. Saul sent men to kill David in the morning but Michal, David’s wife, let him down through a window and he escaped. Michal put an idol in the bed with a goats-hair cushion at the head, and told her father it was because David had threatened her. David went to Samuel and told him all that Saul had done to him. Saul sent troops to Ramah 3 times to kill David, but each time they were overcome by the Holy Spirit, so Saul went himself and was also overcome and David escaped.

Application? – Has anyone discredited me and tried to kill either me or my reputation? Did I react like David or fight back? Do I love others enough to protect them? Am I faithful to my friends? or do I do, or say, things behind their back I wouldn’t say to their face? Do I listen to, and act on, good advise? Do I always keep my promises? Do I trust the Holy Spirit to protect me in emergencies? Do I take opportunities to escape harm? Or presume (maybe erroneously) the Holy Spirit will protect me from harm wherever I am, and whatever the danger?

Frances
Dec 27th 2010, 04:30 PM
1 Samuel 20

What does the text say? – David fled from Ramah. He asked Jonathan what he had done to offend Saul so much that he was determined to kill him. Jonathan was sure David had mistaken his father’s intentions, as Saul always told him everything he wanted to do. David was convinced that, knowing of their friendship, Saul had concealed his intentions from his son; so Jonathan said he’d talk to his father and let David know what he said. The 2nd day that David was absent from the table Saul questioned Jonathan , who said David had asked permission to go to his family’s annual sacrifice. Saul was furious, and said that as long as David was alive Jonathan would never be king, and ordered him to go and fetch David so he could kill him, then Saul hurled a spear at Jonathan to kill him, then Jonathan realised his father was really determined to kill David. On the 3rd day David hid in the agreed place to discover what Jonathan had learned. To any onlookers Jonathan seemed to be practicing archery with a lad who was gathering the arrows he’d shot but was, by pre-arranged signals, telling David he must go away as Saul wanted to kill him. Then Jonathan gave his equipment to the lad and told him to take it back to the city; when he had gone David and Jonathan embraced and wept. Eventually Jonathan told David to go in peace for they had sworn to be loyal to each other and their descendants, in the Lord’s Name. Then David left and Jonathan returned to the city.

Application? – Does anyone intend to harm me even though I have done nothing wrong? If someone intends to harm me, how am I reacting to that threat? What is my attitude to the one who is determined to destroy my reputation? Do I intend to do anyone harm? do I realise the results of my gossip is like feathers blown in the wind, that can cause undreamed of harm wherever they land?

Frances
Dec 28th 2010, 03:59 PM
1 Samuel 21+22

What does the text say? – David went to Nob, a city of priests, and asked Abimelech for food and a weapon, saying the king had given him secret business to attend to, and he’d told his men where to meet him. So knowing David was Saul’s son in law and faithful to Saul, Abimelech gave him holy bread and Goliath’s sword. Doeg, an Edomite and chief of Saul’s herdsmen, saw David in Nob. David went to Gath where he acted as though he was mad; then he went to the cave of Adullam (Josh. 15:35) and his brothers and all his family joined him there, as well as about 400 who were discontented, in debt or distress and David became their leader. David took his parents to Mizpah in Moab and asked the king to allow them to stay there, then he and his men went to the forest of Hereth. Doeg told Saul he had seen David in Nob and Abimelech had given him Goliath’s sword and food. Saul sent for Abimelech and all his father’s family, the priest’s in Nob. Saul told his servants to kill them all, but they refused so Doeg killed all 85 of them, then went and killed everyone in Nob and their animals. But Abiathar, one of Abimelech’s sons, escaped and went to tell David. David acknowledged that he was responsible for the death of all Abimelech’s family, and told Abiathar to stay with him.

Application? – Have I told lies when desperate? Do I always believe what well-known people say? It may not be wise to go to an enemy for protection. Places that were safe for me in the past may not be safe today (the cave of Adullam was once in territory belonging to Judah). I may get good advise from someone I regard as an enemy. Have I ever been responsible for evil befalling innocent people?

Frances
Dec 29th 2010, 06:37 PM
1 Samuel 23

What does the text say? – David was told the Philistines were attacking the threshing floors at Keilah, so he asked the Lord if he should go to attack them, and the Lord said ‘yes’; but David’s men were afraid to go. David asked the Lord again, and He told David to go and conquer the Philistines. So David and his men went and had victory over the Philistines, took their livestock and rescued the people of Keilah. Saul soon heard that David was at Keilah, so he took his army to besiege David and his men. When David knew saul was coming he asked Abiathar the priest to bring the ephod, then asked the Lord what he should do. The Lord said the people of Keilah would betray David and his men to Saul, so they all left. Saul hunted David and his men but the Lord did not let him find them. One day Jonathan went to David in the woods at Horesh and encouraged him to keep his faith in God strong, and reminded him that he would be king one day, and they renewed their covenant before the Lord. The men of Ziph told Saul that David was hiding on the hill of Hakilah and that they would deliver him to the king. When Saul’s army was encircling the hill David was on Saul was told the Philistines were invading Israel, so he went to fight them, and David went to live in the strongholds of Ein-gedi.

Application? – Do I always ask the Lord before I fight evil? Do I always think it is the right thing to do (when it may not be)? Or (perhaps wrongly) that I cannot win as the opposition is too great? Those I help may not, necessarily, be faithful to me, but may turn against me. Am I faithful to my friends? Can I always rely on my friends? I can rely on the Lord to be faithful to me at all times; am I always faithful to Him?

Frances
Dec 30th 2010, 05:33 PM
1 Samuel 24

What does the text say? – When Saul was told that David was in the wilderness near the Rocks of the Wild Goats with about 600 men he took 3,000 troops to find him. Saul went into a cave to relieve himself where, unknown to him, David and some of his men were. While Saul was relieving himself David crept up to him and cut the corner off his robe, but would not allow his men to harm Saul. When Saul had left the cave David followed him, called Saul and showed him the corner of his robe, saying that if he’d wanted to harm Saul he could easily have killed him. Saul admitted he was wrong to seek David’s life, and saying he knew David would be king one day, asked for David’s assurance that his descendants would not be killed. When David gave his word Saul went home and David and his men returned to the stronghold.

Application? – Do I seek the downfall of someone who means me no harm? Is someone opposed to me for no apparent reason? If I am obedient to the Lord and filled with the Holy Spirit I may seem a threat to someone not in that position. Do I react towards those opposed to me for no good reason with honour, or intending to harm them if possible? Do I really trust someone who has shown their determination, in the past, to harm me – even if they say they have repented? Or would I be wise to wait and stay watchful to ensure their actions match their words? Do I acknowledge my faults when I’m shown to be in the wrong?

Frances
Dec 31st 2010, 05:19 PM
1 Samuel 25

What does the text say? – When Samuel died David went to the wilderness of Paran. Later he sent 10 men to ask Nabal, whose 3,000 sheep and 1,000 goats David and his men had helped to protect in Carmel, for some provisions. Nabal refused. David was furious and set out with 400 men to fight and to kill him, and his family. Abigail, Nabal’s wife, was told what had happened, so set out to intercept David, with 200 loaves of bread, 5 slaughtered and prepared sheep, a bushel of roasted grain, 100 clusters of raisins, and 100 cakes of figs. When she met David, Abigail took all the blame for her husband’s behaviour, saying she knew he was a wicked and ill-tempered fool; Abigail asked David’s forgiveness and asked him to accept the food she’d brought him; she pleaded with him not to take vengeance and kill, then bear the burden of needless bloodshed. David accepted the food and promised not to kill her husband. About 10 days later Nabal died from a stroke; when David heard this he sent messengers to ask Abigail to marry him. Abigail agreed. David also married Ahinoam from Jezreel. Meanwhile, Saul had given Michal, David’s wife, to Palti, son of Laish.

Application? – Do I share what I have with those who have done me favours and are in need? I may suffer if I antagonise others unnecessarily. If I put myself out to accept blame for what I had no knowledge of I may prevent much pain and distress to others.

Frances
Jan 1st 2011, 04:31 PM
1 Samuel 26
What does the text say? – Some Ziphites told Saul that David was on the hill of Hakila which overlooks Jeshimon. So Saul took 3,000 men to hunt for him. David’s spies told him where Saul had camped, so David took Abishai with him and went there at night while Saul and his men were asleep. David wouldn’t let Abishai harm Saul, but took the spear and water jug from beside Saul’s head. When they were a safe distance away, up the hill, David called Abner and asked where the king’s spear and water jug were, and told Abner he deserved to die because he had not guarded the king. David asked Saul why he was hunting him when he meant him no harm and Saul acknowledged his sin in hunting David. David said he was trusting the Lord to reward him for doing good and being loyal to the one He had anointed. Then David went away and Saul returned home.

Application? – Do I always share information with the right people, and withhold it from those acting against the Lord? Do I always refuse to harm those whose intention is to harm me in some way? Do I ensure such people know I could have harmed them in a specific situation, but mean them no harm? Have I always kept promises not to harm those who the Lord appears to be going to replace me with?

Frances
Jan 2nd 2011, 05:05 PM
1 Samuel 27
What does the text say? – David realised Saul would certainly kill him one day, so he decided to go to Gath, the land of the Philistines, with his 600 men and their families; so he went to king Achish who, after a while, gave him Ziklag to live in – which ever after belonged to the kings of Judah. David and his men lived in Ziklag for 16 months, and while there raided the Girga****es, Gerzites, and Amalekites, not leaving any survivors, and taking all their possessions; when Achish asked where he’d been raiding David said either the southern end off Judah, the Jerahueelites or the Kenites. Achish believed what David told him and thought David would always be his servant.

Application? – Would I be wise to leave the area where I am constantly attacked? Do I attack the Lord’s enemies (eg. in prayer) without letting anyone know? Do those antagonistic to the Lord, and His people, think I’m opposed to Him as well? Because of what I say or because of what I do?

Frances
Jan 3rd 2011, 04:39 PM
1 Samuel 28+29

What does the text say? – After Samuel had died and Saul had banned all Spiritualists and Mediums from Israel, the Philistine armies were going to make war on Israel and Achish was expecting David and his men to accompany him as his bodyguard. When Saul saw the size of the vast Philistine army he was terrified and asked the Lord what he should do, but the Lord didn’t answer him. Saul was told there was a Medium in Endor, so he disguised himself, went to her at night, and asked her to bring Samuel up for him. He believed the person she could see was Samuel, and asked him what he should do. ‘Samuel’ said the Lord would hand Israel over to the Philistines, and Saul and his sons would be killed because he’d refused to obey the Lord regarding the Amalekites. Saul became paralysed with fear; when he had eaten he left and joined his army. The Philistines were angry with Achish for including David and his men in the Philistine army, thinking he might turn against them in the battle; so Achish told David they would have to leave at dawn next day and go back to Ziklag. The Philistines went to meet the Israelites at Jezreel.

Application? – Do I do what I have believed and taught others is wrong and contrary to God’s Word? If I heed and obey the Lord He will ensure I am prevented from situations that will be a future embarrassment. If I knew the future it may paralyse me with fear which would prevent me enjoying good things in the present. Do I trust the Lord to give me strength to endure what lies ahead, and to ensure His Will is done always, for the ultimate good of His people?

Frances
Jan 4th 2011, 04:28 PM
1 Samuel 30

What does the text say? – When David and his men arrived at Ziklag they discovered the Amalekites had taken all the people captive and burnt their homes. David asked the Lord if he should follow them. The Lord said Yes, and the captives would be recovered. David and his 600 men went in pursuit. At Brook Besar they left 200 men who were too tired to cross; then on the way they came across an Egyptian who had not eaten or drunk for 72 hours, so they gave him food and water. They discovered the Egyptian was the servant of an Amalekite and had been involved at Ziklag – he agreed to show David where the Amalekites were feasting because they had taken so much spoil from the Philistines and from Judah. David and his men attacked the Amalekites, rescuing all who had been taken from Ziklag and large flocks, herds and
other livestock. When they met the 200 men left at Brook Besar with their supplies David insisted they had equal shares of the booty with those who had fought. When they all reached Ziklag David sent presents to the elders of all the places in Judah where he and his men were welcomed.

Application? – Do I always ask the Lord’s advise before retaliating when I have been treated badly? Do I treat those in need well? If so I may benefit in the future. Do I regard those who stay at home and pray for the success of a mission of equal value to those ‘up front’? Do I share benefits I receive with those who are good to me?

Frances
Jan 4th 2011, 04:30 PM
.................................................. .................

Frances
Jan 5th 2011, 04:44 PM
1 Samuel 31
What does the text say? – The Philistines fought the Israelites who fled, and were killed on Mount Gilboa. Saul’s sons, Jonathan, Abinadabb and Malchishua, were killed; then Saul was seriously wounded, and feared torture in the hands of the Philistines. As his armour bearer refused to kill Saul, he deliberately fell on his sword and died, then his armour bearer did the same. When the Philistines went next day to strip the bodies of the dead they found the bodies of Saul and his 3 sons, so they put Saul’s armour in the temple of Ashteroth and fastened his body to the wall of Beth-shan. When the people of Jabesh Gilead heard of this their warriors went by night and retrieved the bodies of Saul and his 3 sons. They burned their bodies at Beth-shan and buried their bones under a tamarisk tree, then fasted for a week.

Application? – What the Lord has decided will inevitably happen, so I will waste my time fighting against Him regarding the results of disobedience to Him. However, if I trust the death of Jesus Christ on the Cross to have paid my penalty, true repentance will ensure God’s Forgiveness but I may still suffer the consequences of my Sin.

Quote:- (Henry H. Halley) “ Archaeological note:- Saul’s armour was put in the house of Ashteroth in Beth-shan and (Chronicles 10:10) “his head was fastened in the house of Dagon” . The University Museum of Pennsylvania (1921-30) uncovered in Beth-shan, in the stratum of 1,000BC, the remains of a temple of Ashtaroth, and also a temple of Dagon, the very same buildings in which Saul’s armour and head were fastened.”