PDA

View Full Version : The cherubim, the seraphim, and the zoa

markedward
Jan 2nd 2011, 09:34 PM
This is just a minor, irrelevant curiosity.

Cherubim - Mentioned and described to various extent between Genesis and Kings. Described in great detail in Ezekiel.

Seraphim (the "burning ones") - Mentioned and described only in Isaiah.

Zoa (the "living ones") - Mentioned and described only in the Revelation.

No two descriptions of the cherubim are exactly the same, and although there are notable distinctions between the three major descriptions (cherubim in Ezekiel 1, seraphim in Isaiah 6, zoa in the Revelation 4), they share many attributes, particularly their positions as the retinue for the throne of God, and when one (e.g. the cherubim) is mentioned the others (e.g. the seraphim and zoa) happen to be absent.

What do some of you think of the idea that these entities are the same thing? That is, that a cherub is a seraph, which is a zoa?

Diggindeeper
Jan 2nd 2011, 11:45 PM
That's one that I have no idea about. But I found myself wondering, Does it really matter anyway?

I admit there's a lot I don't know, especially about the heavenly realm. I don't bother myself too much with my common 'wonderings' (I think I invented a word!) because I figure I might get so much head education (knowing) that I'm no earthly good to anyone. That's why I ask, Does it really matter anyway?

markedward
Jan 2nd 2011, 11:47 PM
It doesn't really matter. That's why I said "This is just a minor, irrelevant curiosity"...

Close the thread.

losthorizon
Jan 3rd 2011, 12:18 AM
What do some of you think of the idea that these entities are the same thing? That is, that a cherub is a seraph, which is a zoa?

Interesting topic. It is my u"nderstanding that the three represent three “ranks” of heavenly being and I would have no problem considering them to be the same "type" of angelic being.

Firefighter
Jan 3rd 2011, 12:20 AM
Close the thread.

Per the OP's Request, This Thread is Closed.