PDA

View Full Version : The sky is falling! er..the birds are falling!

moonglow
Jan 4th 2011, 03:33 PM
For days now they have been talking on the news about a a large group of birds that fell from the sky and died in Arkansas...I have been waiting for someone to start a post about it...but haven't seen any so I guess I will because all sorts of bizarre things are being said about this. Here are the facts:

Falling birds likely died from massive trauma (http://www.cnn.com/2011/US/01/03/arkansas.falling.birds/index.html?hpt=T2)
The thousands of birds that fell from the sky just before midnight New Year's Eve in Arkansas likely died from massive trauma, according to a preliminary report released Monday.

The birds, most of which were dead when they were found, were red-winged blackbirds and starlings. They were found within a one-mile area of Beebe, about 40 miles northeast of Little Rock, the Arkansas Game and Fish Commission said.

Keith Stephens, a spokesman for the commission, said the birds showed evidence of trauma in the breast tissue, with blood clots in the body cavity and a lot of internal bleeding. All major organs were normal.

He cited a preliminary report conducted by the Arkansas Livestock and Poultry Commission.

"Further tests will be done to rule out other causes, but the birds suffered from acute physical trauma leading to internal hemorrhage and death. There was no sign of any chronic or infectious disease," the report said, according to the game and fish commission.

As of Saturday, between 4,000 and 5,000 birds had been found dead, said Stephens.

Karen Rowe, an ornithologist for the game and fish commission, said the incident is not that unusual and is often caused by a lightning strike or high-altitude hail.

A strong storm system moved through the state earlier in the day Friday. Officials also speculated that fireworks shot by New Year's revelers in the area might have caused severe stress in the birds.

Blackbirds do not normally fly at night, and it was not immediately clear what caused the odd behavior. Loud noises were reported shortly before the birds began falling, according to the game and fish commission.

"The birds obviously hit something very hard and had hemorrhages," said Rowe.

Like I said on another post about this..yea the hard thing they hit was the ground...which of course killed them. :rolleyes:

My vote is fireworks went off around that time..since it was New Years Eve...they were shooting them off here too..it scared the birds who were sleeping..they took flight and the concussions...(sound waves) from the fireworks stunned them and they fell and when they hit the hard ground, roofs, etc...they died. Birds don't weight much at all so it doesn't take much to kill them.

Some articles say, 'dead birds fell from the sky'...well they have no way of knowing if they were dead before they hit the ground though so I think those are misleading. :rolleyes: And now there are reports of dead birds found in Louisiana too though I don't know when that happened...also a bunch of dead fish in Arkansas too further away from the birds and all the same type of fish so they think that was caused by a disease. Be back with those links...

God bless

karenoka27
Jan 4th 2011, 03:34 PM
I just watched this on Fox news..gives new meaning to the sky is falling.

Theophilus
Jan 4th 2011, 03:52 PM
The flock flew, foolishly, into a uFo.

karenoka27
Jan 4th 2011, 03:54 PM

So good to see you here...now don't go away again!:lol::hug:

moonglow
Jan 4th 2011, 03:57 PM
I just watched this on Fox news..gives new meaning to the sky is falling.

I guess...:rolleyes:

Here is a video about the birds in Louisiana...clearly these are very sick birds and I pray some twisted person didn't decide to poison them just to make people really talk because of the ones in Arkansas: http://www.cnn.com/video/#/video/us/2011/01/04/dnt.la.bird.deaths.wafb?hpt=T2

I am suspicious because this happened three days later...it was 500 birds a much smaller number compared to the ones in Arkansas which was 5,000. Someone could have easily thrown out some poisoned bird food into some field where they knew the birds roosted at. I hope I am wrong on that.

Anyway here is some of the junk going around the net about this story..I swear some of these people need to just get a career in writing fiction...:rolleyes:

http://sandrarose.com/2011/01/500-more-dead-birds-fall-from-the-sky-in-louisiana/
Birds own the sky. They’ve navigated around the sky for millions of years. By now they should be acclimated to a little noise in the air. Even if they were blind, birds fly using sonar (echolocation) and the gravitational pull of the earth. They don’t have to see well to get where they’re going.

But yet the government lies continue — and they use the Obama-friendly, left wing media to spread that lie. Obviously the government doesn’t have a very high opinion of the intelligence level of Americans.

Click link to read more

Scientists believe that fireworks appeared to have frightened the birds into such a frenzy that they crashed into homes, cars and each other. Some may have flown straight into the ground.

It’s hard to believe that a tiny town like Beebe, AR (population: 5,000) set off stadium sized fireworks displays with sufficient noise level to frighten 5,000 birds so badly that they flew into homes and cars below the roof level.

Not one resident of Beebe who was interviewed has mentioned anything about birds colliding into their homes or shattering their windows.

They all say the same thing — that the birds simply “fell out of the sky.”

The fact that so many birds were found on roof tops suggests that they were not flying below the roof level.

Some forward thinkers and conspiracy theorists believe that the government used Beebe as a testing ground for a new, top secret weapon. Which explains how they got into town so quickly.

Well first no...birds cannot fly at night using echolocation..this person seems to be confusing birds with bats. And no reports said the birds flew INTO roofs or window in the first place. :rolleyes:

People commenting on this want to know why this hasn't happened before if fireworks were the cause. There could be a number of reason...the fireworks were bigger this year then in the past...I don't know of course...the starlings were higher in number in that area then normally...all sorts of things can play into that. Here they have a cannon that it hauled around town to shoot off at dusk in certain parts of town to scare the starlings off because there gets too be too many in one part of town and they doo-doo on everything..:rolleyes::lol:

But birds don't normally fly at night unless something really scares them...they shoot the cannon off as dusk because the birds are still awake but looking for a place to roost for that night and will gather in the trees in neighborhoods. This way their is still enough light for them to fly off and find another place to go.

I saw a bird literally fall out of the sky once years ago. It was stunned because we had a sudden change in weather..a 30 degree drop in temperature. I got it and kept it over night and released it the next day. If I hadn't it probably would have died. Birds are alot more sensitive then I think people realize. Its not uncommon around here to see dead birds after a sudden change in temperature or weather..they go into shock and yes literally fall from the sky. This bird I got was lucky in that it hit the dirt..not a street or a hard roof.

God bless

Theophilus
Jan 4th 2011, 03:57 PM
So good to see you here...now don't go away again!:lol::hug:

Heavy (and time consuming) is the burden of working (said the man grateful to have a job).

Obviously, y'all have been on my heart...I just couldn't find the margin...'til today.

Muah!

Theophilus
Jan 4th 2011, 03:59 PM
*ahem* X-Files conspiracy *cough, cough*

They flew through an experimental cloud of nerve gas...

moonglow
Jan 4th 2011, 04:01 PM

That is what some of these people think! Either the government did it or aliens from outter space..its crazy!

TomH
Jan 4th 2011, 04:52 PM
The fish are also floating in Ark. 100 mi. away from where the birds fell.

They say there is no connection.

??????

TomH
Jan 4th 2011, 04:54 PM
Only redwing blackbirds fell from the sky, and only drum fish are dying in the river.:eek:

Theophilus
Jan 4th 2011, 05:14 PM
See! See! Highly specific neuro-toxins, tailored to targeted genetic codes.

Next, it'll be all the stickpeople!

....I'm skeered!

TomH
Jan 4th 2011, 06:55 PM
See! See! Highly specific neuro-toxins, tailored to targeted genetic codes.

Next, it'll be all the stickpeople!

....I'm skeered!

Yes, neuro-toxins with tiny erasers on their tips to erase stick people. If they don't kill you, they'll at least cripple you.

catlover
Jan 4th 2011, 07:15 PM
I actually was going to post about this but really didn't think anyone be interested!! So I'm glad to see you did. The area in Arkansas where the birds were is about 40 miles (or so) from where the dead fish were found in the Arkansas River. I also saw a story where a lady in Kentucky said there were dead birds in her yard. And Louisiana !!

The last I read is that it would take a couple of week to get results of how (or why) the birds died. But will they tell us the real truth!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!

TomH
Jan 4th 2011, 07:28 PM
500 more dead redwing blackbirds found in Louisiana!!!!!!!

moonglow
Jan 4th 2011, 07:45 PM
500 more dead redwing blackbirds found in Louisiana!!!!!!!

Yea I already posted that news story on this thread here with a video...those birds are obviously sick. http://bibleforums.org/showthread.php/219526-The-sky-is-falling!-er..the-birds-are-falling!?p=2593358#post2593358

The reason btw people only certain fish or certain birds die is because of a disease specific to that breed. Its like when the bats were dying of an illness...birds and other animals didn't get it because its specific to them only.

Fish die off is a common effect that happens all over several times a year..its just not normally this much and they will probably find its a disease specific only to that type of fish too.

Massive fish kill blankets Arkansas River (http://articles.cnn.com/2011-01-02/us/arkansas.fish.kill_1_massive-fish-dead-birds-bird-deaths?_s=PM:US)

"The fish kill only affected one species of fish," he said. "If it was from a pollutant, it would have affected all of the fish, not just drum fish."

moonglow
Jan 4th 2011, 07:55 PM
I actually was going to post about this but really didn't think anyone be interested!! So I'm glad to see you did. The area in Arkansas where the birds were is about 40 miles (or so) from where the dead fish were found in the Arkansas River. I also saw a story where a lady in Kentucky said there were dead birds in her yard. And Louisiana !!

The last I read is that it would take a couple of week to get results of how (or why) the birds died. But will they tell us the real truth!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!

I was 125 miles from the birds to the fish actually...which is why they don't think its related...I found the news story on the bird in Kentucky:

Dead birds mysteriously appear in Kentucky (http://www.fox41.com/story/13779745/dead-birds-appearing-in-kentucky)

These titles crack me up...:lol: So how do dead birds mysteriously get into someone's yard? Do they move? Did someone put them there? Or like my son and I were laughing about earlier...how do dead birds get into the sky to fall in the first place? :rofl:

They really need to work on their titles...unless they think someone killed the birds and threw them out of planes or something....:hmm:

Anyway here is the story on that:

LOUISVILLE, Ky. (WDRB Fox 41) -- A Paducah television news station is reporting that a Gilbertsville, Ky. woman has found dozens of dead birds in her front yard.

It's a story that sounds eerily similar to an event that took place in Arkansas over the weekend. Residents there have found 3,000 dead blackbirds on the ground, starting last Friday. Biologists have developed several theories on the cause of the deaths, but have been at a loss to determine a solid conclusion.

On Monday, WPSD Local 6 in Paducah, Ky. reported that a woman named Sandy -- she would not divulge her last name -- found dozens of dead birds in her yard.

"I've never seen anything like it," Sandy said. "It's really creepy."

Everyone and their brother is now going to be reporting ANY dead birds or fish they see....:rolleyes:

I should call AP and report this...a year or so ago I saw a line of dead birds in the street! Probably two dozen of them...they lined up perfectly with an over head power line that crossed the street....:hmm: I wonder if there is a connection? :lol:

Poor things were obviously all sitting on the power line..where was a surge that electrocuted them all and they fell literally dead onto the street. :( It was really gross to because you couldn't avoid running over them. :(

Anyway so that makes me wonder since apparently so few were in this ladies yard if they were on a power line too and got zapped. :(

Actually they have the results for the dead birds in Arkansas already in...I posted the news story on my first post...and why wouldn't they tell us the truth? :confused

God bless

catlover
Jan 4th 2011, 09:56 PM
I just heard on the radio an official (not sure what his role is) said he thinks it was fireworks. But that doesn't explain the fish

moonglow
Jan 4th 2011, 10:04 PM
I just heard on the radio an official (not sure what his role is) said he thinks it was fireworks. But that doesn't explain the fish

I think it was fire works too...birds don't fly at night..except owls and a few others..these type don't and can't see in the dark which is why they roost at night..something scared them enough to take flight..(fireworks) then something probably stunned them in the air (fireworks) and they fell...hit the ground and roofs hard enough to kill most of them. I have sat in the grand stands here for the 4th of July fireworks show and you can feel the boom, boom in your chest from them. Image what that would do it a tiny bird that weight less then a pd?

Since one type of fish died in that fish kill as they call it, that is a sign its a disease related to that fish..which is what the news article said. Like I explained certain diseases are very specific to a certain type of animal.

God bless

moonglow
Jan 6th 2011, 03:11 PM
Bumping this back up because of new developments:

2 million fish found dead in Maryland (http://www.cnn.com/2011/US/01/06/maryland.fish.kill/index.html?hpt=T2)

(CNN) -- Authorities in Maryland are investigating the deaths of about 2 million fish in Chesapeake Bay.

"Natural causes appear to be the reason," the Maryland Department of the Environment said in a news release. "Cold water stress exacerbated by a large population of the affected species (juvenile spot fish) appears to be the cause of the kill."

The investigation comes days after the deaths of an estimated 100,000 fish in northwest Arkansas. Authorities suspect disease was to blame there, a state spokesman said.

In Maryland, preliminary tests showed water quality to be acceptable, officials said.

"The affected fish are almost exclusively juvenile spot fish, 3 to 6 inches in length," the Maryland department said. A recent survey "showed a very strong population of spot in the bay this year. An increased juvenile population and limited deep water habitat would likely compound the effects of cold water stress."

Large winter kills of spot fish have occurred at least twice before in the state, in 1976 and 1980, the department said.

Dead birds in Sweden killed by 'external blows' (http://www.cnn.com/2011/WORLD/europe/01/05/sweden.bird.deaths/index.html?hpt=T2)

(in other words they hit the ground really hard!..they really need to work on their titles)

(CNN) -- A large number of dead birds were found in the city of Falkoping, Sweden, on Tuesday night and Wednesday morning, according to the Swedish National Veterinary Institute.

Autopsies were performed on five of the birds. The institute said they died due to "sudden, hard external blows," according to its website. They had no signs of infection or other illnesses, and there were no external signs indicating what killed them.

"We have determined that the birds have died from severe internal bleedings caused by external blows," said the institute's Marianne Elvander.

A similar unusual incident occurred in Arkansas on New Year's Eve. Thousands of red-winged blackbirds and starlings were found dead over a square-mile area in the town of Beebe.

In a separate incident, some 500 red-winged blackbirds, starlings and sparrows were found dead Monday morning in the southern Louisiana community of Labarre.

Here is an interesting opinion article...Please read all of it! Not half of it, then freak out...ok...I am not responsible for people having panic attacks because they didn't fully read something on here...you guys are really bad about skimming through posts and articles then coming up with some strange idea because you didn't fully read something.:rolleyes:

Dead Birds and Dead Fish in Bible affiliated wih the demise of mankind? (http://www.examiner.com/pop-culture-in-hartford/dead-birds-and-dead-fish-bible-affiliated-wih-the-demise-of-mankind)

(apparently the author can't spell any better then I do...lol..but its still a good article).

Maybe if everyone reads it and is calm we can actually discuss the bible verse in question.

There were other reports this morning on the news about more dead birds being found too. Some from starvation...some from disease..:(

Oh and when I went out to start the car and opened the garage I heard birds chirping. The reason this is unusual is because its winter time...usually during this time of year we don't hear birds except geese. I know spring is coming when I hear birds chirping after months of silence. I tried to see what kinds of birds they were because they sounded like different kinds but I only saw a Starling.

God bless

Diggindeeper
Jan 6th 2011, 04:16 PM
I say the death of the birds by blunt force is happening when they fall and hit the ground. THAT much, to me, is obvious. If they suddenly get ... say, dizzy, then fall, they will SPLAT! on the ground and bleed to death from the force of impact.

But what's causing them to fall, I dunno.

Haven't seen any dead birds here in Tennessee. Or fish either. Could be some, but I haven't heard of any.

moonglow
Jan 6th 2011, 04:26 PM
I say the death of the birds by blunt force is happening when they fall and hit the ground. THAT much, to me, is obvious. If they suddenly get ... say, dizzy, then fall, they will SPLAT! on the ground and bleed to death from the force of impact.

But what's causing them to fall, I dunno.

Haven't seen any dead birds here in Tennessee. Or fish either. Could be some, but I haven't heard of any.

I agree with you...the hard object is probably the ground. I could see them saying this IF they thought they had ran into something...like a plane..a tall building, etc...they just need to work on their titles...:rolleyes:

If I fall down and get bruised I don't say I hit a hard object...:cool: I say I fell down on the ground..which everyone knows is a hard object. Its just really weird how they phrased it.

God bless

TomH
Jan 6th 2011, 04:27 PM
Most species of birds, (which would include the redwing blackbird) do not fly at night. A large flock of birds will roost together.
This flock of birds could very likely have been several thousand. If frightened, perhaps rhe several thousand took to the air and the several hundred were the result of mid air collisions during the confusion.

Watch a flock of birds and how close they fly to one another in the daytime. Add to this the fact that the birds can't see in the dark. BAM!!!

Diggindeeper
Jan 6th 2011, 04:33 PM
Yep, plus...they are falling from way up in the air! That would hurt me a lot more than even falling on my face to the ground! Falling from a height of two or three stories, I would think, would really BAM! Splattttt! Ouch!

moonglow
Jan 6th 2011, 04:40 PM
Most species of birds, (which would include the redwing blackbird) do not fly at night. A large flock of birds will roost together.
This flock of birds could very likely have been several thousand. If frightened, perhaps rhe several thousand took to the air and the several hundred were the result of mid air collisions during the confusion.

Watch a flock of birds and how close they fly to one another in the daytime. Add to this the fact that the birds can't see in the dark. BAM!!!

You could very well be right on that! I heard one guy on the news say they are as blind in the dark as we are. For them to take off and fly like that something had to really scare them.

Diggindeeper

Yep, plus...they are falling from way up in the air! That would hurt me a lot more than even falling on my face to the ground! Falling from a height of two or three stories, I would think, would really BAM! Splattttt! Ouch!

In which we would say you died from a "sudden, hard external blows" :rolleyes: No one says that...:rolleyes:

moonglow
Jan 6th 2011, 05:05 PM
Aww...more dead animals..this time seas creatures...

40,000 crabs join slew of animal-death mysteries (http://www.thestar.com/news/world/article/916503--40-000-crabs-join-slew-of-animal-death-mysteries)

First, it was birds falling from the sky, then thousands of dead fish washing up on shore.

Now, more than 40,000 Velvet swimming crabs have wound up dead on England beaches. The possible reason? Hypothermia.

The Thanet shoreline is littered with the crabs, along with dead starfish, lobsters, sponges and anemones.

The crabs benefit from warm seas, but when winter hits and snow covers the beaches, they just can’t handle the freezing temperatures, Tony Child, Thanet Coast Project manager, told the Star.

“It is a horrendous crash in the population,” he said, adding similar crab deaths happened in the same place two years and five years ago.

You know here its actually been a very mild winter...we seem to be stuck in this pattern of having really cold weekends then a gradual warm up...even hit 60's some weeks, then a sudden extreme drop in temperatures to into the 30's. Now that can put birds and other animals into shock. This exact same pattern has been going on since before Thanksgiving (that is when I stared to take notice of it and keep track) because its gotten really bitterly cold every single holiday and weekends (which most holidays were on a weekend this year)....but inbetween it warms up.

Its suppose to be in the 50's today and tomorrow and again a sudden extreme drop in temperatures by Saturday with a chance of blowing snow on Sunday...:rolleyes: Its been really hard on us humans I can tell you! Alot of people are getting sick because of these drastic temperature changing..its hard on the body and hard on our immune system. :( My son has been coughing for weeks..the dr said its part allergies (we have had no rain..no snow..a tiny bit of ice and that's it) and part low grade sinus infection.

Now I have been keeping an eye on my goldfish that is outside in a pond and the water actually insulates him from these sudden temperature changes. Water is slow to cool down or warm up. So just a couple of days of very cold weather won't cause a sudden change in his water temperatures. It has to stay cold for a longer period of time before it affects the water...same thing with the warm days. And since it still gets pretty cold at night I think his water temperature is staying pretty much the same. He hasn't died from these severe changes yet anyway.

Diggindeeper
Jan 6th 2011, 05:22 PM
Well, one thing is certain...its not straight out of the book of Revelation! I was thinking wormwood? But no...

Revelation 8:6-11

6 And the seven angels which had the seven trumpets prepared themselves to sound.

7 The first angel sounded, and there followed hail and fire mingled with blood, and they were cast upon the earth: and the third part of trees was burnt up, and all green grass was burnt up.

8 And the second angel sounded, and as it were a great mountain burning with fire was cast into the sea: and the third part of the sea became blood;

9 And the third part of the creatures which were in the sea, and had life, died; and the third part of the ships were destroyed.

10 And the third angel sounded, and there fell a great star from heaven, burning as it were a lamp, and it fell upon the third part of the rivers, and upon the fountains of waters;

11 And the name of the star is called Wormwood: and the third part of the waters became wormwood; and many men died of the waters, because they were made bitter.

So far, there has been a lot of fires lately...Israel, the U.S. etc. But what we're seeing doesn't amount to a third part of the creatures which were in the sea, and had life, died; and not a third part of the ships destroyed.

And I haven't heard about a great star from heaven, burning as it were a lamp, that fell upon the third part of the rivers, and upon the fountains of waters;

Nor not heard that any men died of the waters, because they were made bitter.

So, can't blame wormwood....

teddyv
Jan 6th 2011, 05:23 PM

I am not sure how much that a fall from up in the air would cause blunt trauma. The birds are not very heavy (probably less than a pound) therefore the impact forces from acceleration of gravity is quite low. It would probably hurt less than you falling on your face.

moonglow
Jan 6th 2011, 05:46 PM
Well, one thing is certain...its not straight out of the book of Revelation! I was thinking wormwood? But no...

Revelation 8:6-11

6 And the seven angels which had the seven trumpets prepared themselves to sound.

7 The first angel sounded, and there followed hail and fire mingled with blood, and they were cast upon the earth: and the third part of trees was burnt up, and all green grass was burnt up.

8 And the second angel sounded, and as it were a great mountain burning with fire was cast into the sea: and the third part of the sea became blood;

9 And the third part of the creatures which were in the sea, and had life, died; and the third part of the ships were destroyed.

10 And the third angel sounded, and there fell a great star from heaven, burning as it were a lamp, and it fell upon the third part of the rivers, and upon the fountains of waters;

11 And the name of the star is called Wormwood: and the third part of the waters became wormwood; and many men died of the waters, because they were made bitter.

So far, there has been a lot of fires lately...Israel, the U.S. etc. But what we're seeing doesn't amount to a third part of the creatures which were in the sea, and had life, died; and not a third part of the ships destroyed.

And I haven't heard about a great star from heaven, burning as it were a lamp, that fell upon the third part of the rivers, and upon the fountains of waters;

Nor not heard that any men died of the waters, because they were made bitter.

So, can't blame wormwood....

The one listed in one of the articles I posted gave this verse:

Zephaniah 1
The Great Day of the LORD
2 “ I will utterly consume everything
From the face of the land,”
Says the LORD;
3 “ I will consume man and beast;
I will consume the birds of the heavens,
The fish of the sea,

The problem though with it, if the reader goes down a little further this judgment was on certain nations:

4 “ I will stretch out My hand against Judah,
And against all the inhabitants of Jerusalem.
I will cut off every trace of Baal from this place,
The names of the idolatrous priests with the pagan priests—

Unless those living in Judah and Jerusalem are worshiping Baal I don't think it applies...plus it was fulfilled already.

The rest of that chapter can be read here: http://www.biblegateway.com/passage/?search=Zephaniah%201-3&version=NKJV

The Adam Clarke Commentary (http://www.studylight.org/com/acc/view.cgi?book=zep&chapter=001)

Verse 14. The great day of the Lord is near
It commenced with the death of the good king Josiah, who was slain by Pharaoh-necho at Megiddo, and continued to the destruction of Jerusalem by Nebuchadnezzar.

Verse 15. That day is a day of wrath
See the parallel passages in the margin, and the notes there. From the fourteenth to the sixteenth verse inclusive there is a most beautiful amplification of the disasters that were coming on Jerusalem; the invasion, incursion, attack, carnage, confusion, horrible din occasioned by the sound of the trumpet, the cries of the people, and the shrieks and groans of the dying, are pointed out with great force and mighty effect.

canvasjockey
Jan 6th 2011, 09:43 PM
Maybe the birds, scared into flight by fireworks or whatnot, found themselves unable to navigate flying in the dark, and flew into the ground not knowing which was was up, so to speak (at least us blind-at-night land animals know where the ground is because we're usually on it). Probably not, just a thought, I admit I don't know a ton about birds.

RabbiKnife
Jan 6th 2011, 09:47 PM
Were there any reports of dead flying fish?

teddyv
Jan 6th 2011, 10:00 PM
Were there any reports of dead flying fish?

I heard reports from Seattle:

nWRLC1NpZTo

:P

RabbiKnife
Jan 6th 2011, 10:10 PM
THAT'S what I'm talkin' about...

Just don't ever turn your head and look away, or you might be impaled by a mackerel.

teddyv
Jan 6th 2011, 10:13 PM
THAT'S what I'm talkin' about...

Just don't ever turn your head and look away, or you might be impaled by a mackerel.

I think I'd be more concerned about a swordfish or marlin. Might not be that easy to toss though.

RevLogos
Jan 7th 2011, 12:25 AM
Another strange environmental event:

http://nationalpostnews.files.wordpress.com/2010/12/river.jpg?w=620

Article below. Somebody must have dumped something.

VICTORIA — Horrified nature-lovers at Goldstream Provincial Park watched as the Goldstream River turned bright green late Wednesday afternoon.

The fluorescent green colouring appeared to start about 500 metres on the Victoria side of the entrance to the park and, over the course of an hour, the substance flowed down into the environmentally sensitive estuary.

http://news.nationalpost.com/2010/12/30/victoria-river-mysteriously-turns-bright-green/

teddyv
Jan 7th 2011, 01:08 AM
Another strange environmental event:

http://nationalpostnews.files.wordpress.com/2010/12/river.jpg?w=620

Article below. Somebody must have dumped something.

http://news.nationalpost.com/2010/12/30/victoria-river-mysteriously-turns-bright-green/

That looks like something from Half-Life.

ETA: there is an update that the chemical is at least, not toxic. http://news.nationalpost.com/2010/12/31/green-chemical-in-b-c-river-not-toxic-study-confirms/

RabbiKnife
Jan 7th 2011, 03:02 PM
Looks like the Chicago River on St. Paddy's Day.

moonglow
Jan 7th 2011, 04:03 PM
http://www.myfoxorlando.com/dpp/news/international/010711-700-turtledoves-fall-from-sky-in-italy
700 turtledoves fall from sky in Italy

Updated: Friday, 07 Jan 2011, 8:16 AM EST
Published : Friday, 07 Jan 2011, 8:14 AM EST

NewsCore - The global spate of unexplained mass animal deaths continued Friday as some 700 turtledoves mysteriously fell from the sky in the northwestern Italian city of Faenza.

The birds, which are often seen throughout the area, left behind a scene evocative of a Hitchcock movie as their carcasses piled up over the last five days, according to Corriere della Sera.

The cause of death had yet to be determined, but a researcher at a local zoological institute, Dr. Frasnelli, said people should not be alarmed, noting that the birds' bodies were found near a distillery and a chemical plant. The turtledoves would be checked for diseases and toxins, he added.

Theories for what may be behind the recent round of animal deaths -- ranging from 100,000 drum fish in the Arkansas River to 40,000 devil crabs in England to tons of dead fish in New Zealand and Brazil, as well as smaller amounts of birds and fish throughout the US and Europe -- included fireworks, cold stress, disease and natural causes.

However, such explanations have not stopped conspiracy theorists and doomsayers from interpreting the massive deaths as heralding the end of the world.

:hmm:

Well...I won't pretend I know what is going on but as far as I know there is nothing in the bible about this being one of the 'signs' of the end times...but if it scares the daylights out of people then its a good time to do some witnessing...hate it that people have to get frightened to be open to listening though but that seems to be part of human nature.

TomH
Jan 7th 2011, 04:09 PM
Looks like the Chicago River on St. Paddy's Day.

Couldn't have been the Chicago.

No floating bodies.

RevLogos
Jan 7th 2011, 04:29 PM
[url]

Well...I won't pretend I know what is going on but as far as I know there is nothing in the bible about this being one of the 'signs' of the end times...but if it scares the daylights out of people then its a good time to do some witnessing...hate it that people have to get frightened to be open to listening though but that seems to be part of human nature.

True, which leaves me wondering. In all these articles they find someone who relates this to some sort of end-of-world scenario. They aren't getting it from the Bible. Do people, who do not place their faith in God, still have some kind of understanding that there will be an end? If so, where does this come from?

moonglow
Jan 7th 2011, 04:51 PM
True, which leaves me wondering. In all these articles they find someone who relates this to some sort of end-of-world scenario. They aren't getting it from the Bible. Do people, who do not place their faith in God, still have some kind of understanding that there will be an end? If so, where does this come from?

One article I read says its the media itself causing these fears but actually these things are being really under reported and the media has actually tried to calm people down. I have seen no news reports with some reporter going .."Is this the end?" Of course not. It would have to be a billion times worse then this for any secular news reporter to say that!

I have to search to find anything and then end up almost always on Huffington posts where I get hit by many pop up's inspite of my pop up blocker...:rolleyes: Or The Examiner...both of these are as close to being a rag magazine as possible without actually being one. :cool: And they are the ones that are saying this end times junk too...or its aliens or its the government up to something...I even saw one person comment to an article saying its the terrorist practicing some service weapon on the animals before turning it on people! :rolleyes:

Plus people on youtube are doing it also...though there is NO connection to this and the return of Christ...yet at least a few people are frightened from what I am reading in comments to these articles. But not very many at all...not what I expected from how these news articles made it sound like there is mass panic going on with many thinking its either a sign of the end of the world or a sign of the return of Christ.

I think the general public does have concerns about the end of the world if for no other reason because of Hollywood movies. The latest being the movie 2011...

Plus you can find all sorts of disaster movies on about any day of the week! Of course in the end the earth and all of humidity is saved at the last minute from volcanoes, earthquakes, massive floods, tornadoes, asteroids...etc, etc. I like watching them for the special effects.

Anyway I went to the CBS news site and found this great article...I guess I was right the first time...because of the first death of birds now everyone and his brother is reporting any dead birds or fish, etc..even if its just small numbers of them...so it appears there is an increase of animal deaths when their really isn't:

http://www.cbsnews.com/stories/2011/01/06/ap/tech/main7220470.shtml?tag=mncol;lst;10
Jan. 07, 2011
FACT CHECK: Mass Bird, Fish Deaths Occur Regularly
FACT CHECK: After Birds Fall And Fish Die, People Seek Apocalyptic Links That Aren't There

(AP) WASHINGTON (AP) - First, the blackbirds fell out of the sky on New Year's Eve in Arkansas. In recent days, wildlife have mysteriously died in big numbers: 2 million fish in the Chesapeake Bay, 150 tons of red tilapia in Vietnam, 40,000 crabs in Britain and other places across the world. Blogs connected the deadly dots, joking about the "aflockalypse" while others saw real signs of something sinister, either biblical or environmental.

The reality, say biologists, is that these mass die-offs happen all the time and usually are unrelated.

Federal records show they happen on average every other day somewhere in North America. Usually, we don't notice them and don't try to link them to each other.

"They generally fly under the radar," said ornithologist John Wiens, chief scientist at the California research institution PRBO Conservation Science.

Since the 1970s, the U.S. Geological Survey's National Wildlife Health Center in Wisconsin has tracked mass deaths among birds, fish and other critters, said wildlife disease specialist LeAnn White. At times the sky and the streams just turn deadly. Sometimes it's disease, sometimes pollution. Other times it's just a mystery.

In the past eight months, the USGS has logged 95 mass wildlife die-offs in North America and that's probably a dramatic undercount, White said. The list includes 900 some turkey vultures that seemed to drown and starve in the Florida Keys, 4,300 ducks killed by parasites in Minnesota, 1,500 salamanders done in by a virus in Idaho, 2,000 bats that died of rabies in Texas, and the still mysterious death of 2,750 sea birds in California.

On average, 163 such events are reported to the federal government each year, according to USGS records. And there have been much larger die-offs than the 3,000 blackbirds in Arkansas. Twice in the summer of 1996, more than 100,000 ducks died of botulism in Canada.

"Depending on the species, these things don't even get reported," White said.

Weather - cold and wet weather like in Arkansas New Year's Eve when the birds fell out of the sky - is often associated with mass bird deaths, ornithologists say. Pollution, parasites and disease also cause mass deaths. Some are even blaming fireworks for the blackbird deaths.

So what's happening this time?

Blame technology, says famed Harvard biologist E.O. Wilson. With the Internet, cell phones and worldwide communications, people are noticing events, connecting the dots more.

"This instant and global communication, it's just a human instinct to read mystery and portents of dangers and wondrous things in events that are unusual," Wilson told The Associated Press on Thursday. "Not to worry, these are not portents that the world is about to come to an end."

Wilson and the others say instant communications - especially when people can whip out smart phones to take pictures of critter carcasses and then post them on the Internet - is giving a skewed view of what is happening in the environment.

The irony is that mass die-offs - usually of animals with large populations - are getting the attention while a larger but slower mass extinction of thousands of species because of human activity is ignored, Wilson said.

I think the reason I have to do so much searching to find these news stories is because in most cases the major news media isn't reporting a small number of animal deaths because they do happen all the time.

moonglow
Jan 7th 2011, 05:02 PM
Here is that video on the dead birds in Texas...though I had to laugh because you see this cat sneaking up on one of the dead birds and grabbing it...hopefully that bird that was about to be eaten wasn't carrying a disease! If we hear reports of alot of dead cats turning up in Texas in the next few days will we know why...:cool:

http://www.cbsnews.com/video/watch/?id=2338874n&tag=mncol;lst;8

RabbiKnife
Jan 7th 2011, 06:31 PM
The sad thing is that no one in the press seems concerned about the genocide in various parts of the world but have their knickers in a twist over dead blackbirds and floating fish.

moonglow
Jan 7th 2011, 07:11 PM
The sad thing is that no one in the press seems concerned about the genocide in various parts of the world but have their knickers in a twist over dead blackbirds and floating fish.

I know...:cry: But I think the only reason there is concern is because if they don't know what caused these deaths it could mean we are in danger...all of humanity. That is why people are afraid.

CNN did have a news report on their homepage about mass rape in Africa the other day...:( And today featuring Haiti and how things have not progressed because some bone head in Washington hasn't released the money donated to them...which is why I don't donate! They never get it!! :B Makes me so mad. They do all these big fund raises and people want to help ...then very little of the aide actually gets to them because of red tape...:mad:

moonglow
Jan 7th 2011, 08:55 PM
Mass Animal deaths mapped by Google earth: (http://news.blogs.cnn.com/2011/01/07/mass-animal-deaths-scrutinized-as-google-maps-numerous-incidents/?hpt=T2)

Five thousand blackbirds in Arkansas. One hundred pelicans near Jacksonville, North Carolina. Three hundred doves in Italy. Seventy bats in Tucson, Arizona. Thousands of fish in Australia, New Zealand, Vietnam, the Philippines, Brazil and the United States.

Google is now hosting a map of incidents of mass animal deaths around the world (http://maps.google.com/maps/ms?ie=UTF8&hl=en&oe=UTF8&msa=0&msid=201817256339889828327.0004991bca25af104a22b). Google Maps' distinctive blue balloons indicate where the deaths took place. Click on a balloon, and the map provides you with a link to a news report on the incident.

As of Friday afternoon, there were about 30 cases pinpointed on the search engine's mapping site, most of them in the U.S. and Europe.

Some might say it's getting spooky - and not just by conspiracy theorist standards - but experts tell CNN Radio that theories of UFOs and secret government weapons are, naturally, far-fetched.

In the case of the Arkansas blackbirds, wildlife buffs have said that a loud noise or other event may have precipitated the blunt-force trauma that killed the birds. Of all the notions about their deaths, Susie Kesielke, curator of birds at the Los Angeles Zoo, believes the theory that fireworks startled the birds is the most plausible. read the rest at the link.

I hadn't heard about the bats or the pelicans. :hmm:

canvasjockey
Jan 7th 2011, 09:19 PM
Necropsy's showed the bats died of ballistic trauma... as in they were shot by a BB gun :P. Maybe it was an "apocalyptic" BB gun?

http://azstarnet.com/news/local/article_eb1fcfd0-1a8a-11e0-95a3-001cc4c002e0.html

moonglow
Jan 7th 2011, 09:34 PM
Necropsy's showed the bats died of ballistic trauma... as in they were shot by a BB gun :P. Maybe it was an "apocalyptic" BB gun?

http://azstarnet.com/news/local/article_eb1fcfd0-1a8a-11e0-95a3-001cc4c002e0.html

Oh how horrible...:cry:

Necropsies performed on 15 of the Mexican free-tailed bats tested by a state lab in Phoenix and another lab in Wisconsin found the mammals had been shot with a 4 millimeter BB gun.

The remaining bats removed from the scene by the Pima Animal Care Center also exhibited physical trauma consistent with “ballistic trauma,” said Mark Hart, a Game and Fish spokesman. Necropsies showed damage to the 15 bats ranged from mild to severe, with seven fractured wings, one spinal fracture, one leg fracture, two “through-and-through” entrance and exit wounds on opposite sides of the body and four cases of generalized wing trauma.

“This is an especially cruel case, given the number of animals killed outright or apparently mortally wounded by BBs ricocheting around beneath the bridge. Quick escape from the concrete expansion joints of the bridge that the bats inhabit would have been difficult,” said Raul Vega, Game and Fish regional supervisor. “We are now conducting a criminal investigation and actively seeking information leading to full prosecution of whoever is responsible.”

I guess with more awareness and concern about animal deaths...people will notice and care more and report these things and stop what too many times is shrugged off and ignored...

Thanks for that information!

moonglow
Jan 16th 2011, 04:17 PM
More bird deaths..video on CNN...they think 300 birds flew into a semi...now I can see a few doing that but three hundred not seeing it or something?

http://www.cnn.com/video/#/video/us/2011/01/13/al.more.dead.blackbirds.waff?iref=allsearch

moonglow
Jan 16th 2011, 10:44 PM
200 cows found dead in Wisconsin field (http://www.upi.com/Top_News/US/2011/01/15/200-cows-found-dead-in-Wisconsin-field/UPI-43151295134745/)

STOCKTON, Wis., Jan. 15 (UPI) -- A Wisconsin farmer suspects a virus killed about 200 of his cows.

Portage County sheriff's deputies were dispatched to a farm field in Stockton Friday after the department was notified of the dead cows, the Wausau Daily Herald reported.

The sheriff's department said in a release the owner of the cattle told deputies he had been working with a veterinarian and suspected the animals died of either infectious bovine rhinotracheitis or bovine virus diarrhea.

Samples were taken from the dead animals for testing, the newspaper said.

There is no threat to humans or other animals, the sheriff's department said.