PDA

View Full Version : Discussion Moons and Sabbaths are a shadow

Cyberseeker
Jan 5th 2011, 02:59 AM
... with regard to a festival or a new moon or a Sabbath. These are a shadow of the things to come, but the substance belongs to Christ. (Colossians 2:16-17)Two questions for everyone.

1st question: In what way are new moons and sabbaths a shadow? In other words, how is Christ the 'substance' of a moon or a sabbath?

2nd question: If moons and sabbaths are a shadow and Christ is the 'substance,' is there any value in observing moons or sabbath? (By this, I assume it means both weekly and/or yearly sabbaths)

Cyberseeker :hmm:

Br. Barnabas
Jan 5th 2011, 02:07 PM
What St Paul was talking about here is the new moon celebrations and Sabbath practices the 2nd Temple Jewish people had. This is part of a larger discourse of Paul talking about how the Christian believers should not feel or be forced into Jewish celebrations. That is why earlier in verse 16 he says don't let anyone judge you about what you eat or drink and about religious festivals... He then goes on to name two such religious festivals new moon celebrations and the Sabbath.

Paul is exhorting the Gentile Christians to not feel bad because they have not celebrated these Jewish religious festivals. Becuase these festivals were a pointing to what would come, Christ. He is the substance of all celebration. Just as our shadow is an outline or representation of ourselves so too are new moon celebrations and Sabbaths and outline and representation of Christ.

If you find value in observing a weekly Sabbath then by all means observe it. However, becareful that it does not puff you up as Paul warns later in this chapter. If you want to do some research and find how the 2nd Temple Jews celebrated the new moon have at it and do it if it helps your walk. But do not hold it over other Christians heads or look down on them because they do not observe the Sabbath or new moons. This is pretty much what Paul is trying to get at in this section of his letter.

keck553
Jan 5th 2011, 04:38 PM
When I read about 'shadows,' I tend to consider who is casting those shadows. Who is the 'shadow-caster?'