PDA

View Full Version : Would you say Jesus was a citizen of Isreal or Judea?

moonglow
Jan 6th 2011, 01:30 AM
Er....that's my question and I don't know what to write on the post...:rolleyes::lol:

percho
Jan 6th 2011, 02:20 AM
Judea and he came unto his own the Jews consisting of Levites, Benjaminites, Judeans and maybe a few from other tribes. His own received him not. The vast majority of the other tribes were scattered among the heathen and considered themselves Gentiles. There were also those of the Jews that were also scattered but they were known as Jews and called themselves Jews. A good question would be is how did the heathen know who the Jews were but did not know who those of the other tribes were? The fold he came to was the fold of Judea.

moonglow
Jan 6th 2011, 03:40 AM
Judea and he came unto his own the Jews consisting of Levites, Benjaminites, Judeans and maybe a few from other tribes. His own received him not. The vast majority of the other tribes were scattered among the heathen and considered themselves Gentiles. There were also those of the Jews that were also scattered but they were known as Jews and called themselves Jews. A good question would be is how did the heathen know who the Jews were but did not know who those of the other tribes were? The fold he came to was the fold of Judea.

Wouldn't those be religious sects though? Not citizens? :hmm:

What about this:

Matthew 2

1 Now after Jesus was born in Bethlehem of Judea in the days of Herod the king,

But was Judea part of Israel? I know in the OT at one time they were divided and considered different nations. :hmm:

God bless

percho
Jan 6th 2011, 04:05 AM
Wouldn't those be religious sects though? Not citizens? :hmm:

What about this:

Matthew 2

1 Now after Jesus was born in Bethlehem of Judea in the days of Herod the king,

But was Judea part of Israel? I know in the OT at one time they were divided and considered different nations. :hmm:

God bless

Israel was no longer a country when Jesus walked the earth.

moonglow
Jan 6th 2011, 04:09 AM
Israel was no longer a country when Jesus walked the earth.

Are you sure about that because Israel is talked about all through the NT..here is one example:

Matthew 10:23
When they persecute you in this city, flee to another. For assuredly, I say to you, you will not have gone through the cities of Israel before the Son of Man comes.

David Taylor
Jan 6th 2011, 03:19 PM
Are you sure about that because Israel is talked about all through the NT..here is one example:

Matthew 10:23
When they persecute you in this city, flee to another. For assuredly, I say to you, you will not have gone through the cities of Israel before the Son of Man comes.

Judea was the country or kingdom at the time....however, 'Israel' was the common area name, still often used.

Herod was the 'king' of Judea, Rome occupied Judea, there was no 'Israel' as a political, governmental entity.

Israel as a unique governing political entity hadn't existed since the time of the split, just after the time of King Solomon. The actual time period where 'Israel' was a full kingdom was pretty small, only about 90 years. (1020 BC to 930 BC).

moonglow
Jan 6th 2011, 03:27 PM
Judea was the country or kingdom at the time....however, 'Israel' was the common area name, still often used.

Herod was the 'king' of Judea, Rome occupied Judea, there was no 'Israel' as a political, governmental entity.

Israel as a unique governing political entity hadn't existed since the time of the split, just after the time of King Solomon. The actual time period where 'Israel' was a full kingdom was pretty small, only about 90 years. (1020 BC to 930 BC).

Ok thanks. So then was Jesus a citizen of Judea?

And why is Israel talked about so much in the NT? :hmm:

God bless

David Taylor
Jan 7th 2011, 01:45 PM
Israel was the ancient ancestrial name, the name of Jacob father of all the 12 tribes...
it just stook.

notuptome
Jan 7th 2011, 03:36 PM
Judah was the tribe from which David was descended. Judaea is the area known as Palestine in the broader sense. In the narrower sense it is the southern portion of Palestine lying on this side of the Jordan and the Dead Sea. It is to distinguish it from Samaria, Galilee, Parea, and Idumaea.

For the cause of Christ
Roger