PDA

View Full Version : Difference between blessing and covenant in Genesis 17?

karenoka27
Jan 6th 2011, 02:24 AM
In Genesis 17:20 it says: "And as for Ishmael, I have heard thee: Behold, I have blessed him, and will make him fruitful, and will multiply him exceedingly; twelve princes shall he beget, and I will make him a great nation"
and in verse 21 it says:
"But my covenant will I establish with Isaac, which Sarah shall bear unto thee at this set time in the next year."

What is the difference?

AndrewBaptistFL
Jan 6th 2011, 02:33 AM
In Genesis 17:20 it says: "And as for Ishmael, I have heard thee: Behold, I have blessed him, and will make him fruitful, and will multiply him exceedingly; twelve princes shall he beget, and I will make him a great nation"
and in verse 21 it says:
"But my covenant will I establish with Isaac, which Sarah shall bear unto thee at this set time in the next year."

What is the difference?

I'd say that the Lord blessed Ishmael because he too was a son of Abraham, however the covenant, the everlasting promise was made for Isaac (Israel).

karenoka27
Jan 6th 2011, 03:06 AM
Thanks Andrew :hug:
Someone just shared with me:
Blessed means- consecrated; sacred; holy; sanctified; worthy of adoration, reverence, or worship; divinely or supremely favored; fortunate
It's something given, a gift. You might bless a close friend

Covenant means- an agreement, usually formal, between two or more persons to do or not do something specified. The conditional promises made to humanity by God, as revealed in Scripture. The agreement between God and the ancient Israelites, in which God promised to protect them if they kept His law and were faithful to Him.
This is more of a commitment, a promise, a declaration, more like a marriage than a friendship

-SEEKING-
Jan 6th 2011, 03:10 AM
I'd say that the Lord blessed Ishmael because he too was a son of Abraham, however the covenant, the everlasting promise was made for Isaac (Israel).

Great answer. Short, sweet, and right to the point.

AndrewBaptistFL
Jan 6th 2011, 03:13 AM
Covenant means- an agreement, usually formal, between two or more persons to do or not do something specified. The conditional promises made to humanity by God, as revealed in Scripture. The agreement between God and the ancient Israelites, in which God promised to protect them if they kept His law and were faithful to Him.
This is more of a commitment, a promise, a declaration, more like a marriage than a friendship

Praise God! I want some of that!

Brother Mark
Jan 6th 2011, 03:23 AM
Thanks Andrew :hug:
Someone just shared with me:
Blessed means- consecrated; sacred; holy; sanctified; worthy of adoration, reverence, or worship; divinely or supremely favored; fortunate
It's something given, a gift. You might bless a close friend

Covenant is far deeper than contract or commitment. The closest relationship we have today to covenant is marriage. When someone went into covenant with another person, there were several steps. In no particular order they are...

1. Exchanging of names... God started being called "The God of Abraham" and the "ah" part of His name was given to Abram who became Abraham.

2. Exchanging of enemies

3. Exchanging of weapons

4. Exchanging of robes. (Jesus took on our robe of sin and we took on His robe of righteousness.)

5. Covenant meal

6. A striking of the hands

I can't remember the rest. But there were several steps and you can see them in scripture. Anyway, covenant is a deep, deep commitment far greater than a contract. When covenant was made, or "cut", blessings was spoken on each other and curses were also spoke on each other if the covenant was broken. It was a greater commitment to each other than to father or mother.

Blessings are included in covenant. But one can be blessed without being in covenant.

karenoka27
Jan 6th 2011, 03:31 AM
Blessings are included in covenant. But one can be blessed without being in covenant.
I think that is what I was looking for. Because in one verse God is blessing but then in the next verse He says, "BUT my covenant..."
A group of us are reading through the Bible in a year on FB and this question came up. I knew you amazing people here could help us out! Thanks. :hug:

Brother Mark
Jan 6th 2011, 04:05 AM
I think that is what I was looking for. Because in one verse God is blessing but then in the next verse He says, "BUT my covenant..."
A group of us are reading through the Bible in a year on FB and this question came up. I knew you amazing people here could help us out! Thanks. :hug:

Here's another way to look at it too. You are in covenant with your husband. You bless him. You have acquaintances that you bless too. Which person experiences a greater blessing from you? There are blessings your husband experiences from you that no one else will experience. That's the difference between a blessings in a covenant and blessings outside a covenant.