PDA

View Full Version : My Daily Bible study - Ephesiand (2)

Frances
Jan 6th 2011, 04:49 PM
Ephesians 1

What does the text say?- God, the Father of our Lord Jesus Christ chose, before the foundation of the world, those who would be in Christ to be holy and without fault in His eyes and to adopt them as His sons, through Jesus Christ. He is so rich in Grace that He purchased their/our Freedom with the Blood of His Son and Forgives our Sins. At the right time God will put everything in heaven and earth under Christís Authority. Because the Jews who trusted Christ were united in Him they have an inheritance from God, and the Gentiles are also Saved by the Good News that God Saves, and when they believe in Christ He gives them the Holy Spirit Ė His guarantee that He will give us the inheritance He Promised to His people. Paul says he prays for those who have faith in Jesus Christ, that each one will receive the Spirit of wisdom and the knowledge of God, that their hearts will be enlightened as to the confident Hope of those He has Called, and of the incredible greatness of His Power that raised Christ from the dead with everything under His authority. The Church is Christís Body.

Application? Ė Do I take advantage of every Spiritual Blessing that is available to me? If Jesus Christ is my Saviour I am Godís Son (even if I am a woman). Have I received the Holy Spirit? Do I always do as He tells me? Do I give thanks for all those who have become Christians? Do I pray that each one will receive Godís Wisdom and greater knowledge of Him? Do I know the Hope of those Called by God? Am I fully aware of all the Greatness of Godís Power? And all the Blessings He wants to give those who trust Him?

Frances
Jan 9th 2011, 09:16 PM
Ephesians 2

What does the text say? – God gives Life to those who trust Jesus Christ for Redemption, those who do not trust Him to be their Saviour obey the devil, who is at work in the hearts of those who refuse to obey God. All of us used to live that way, following the passionate desires and inclinations of our sinful nature, and were subject to God’s Anger. God is so Merciful, and loves us so much, that He offered us Life when He raised Christ from the dead. It is only by God’s Grace that we are Saved, so no one can take credit for their Salvation. Salvation is a free Gift from God through the Blood of Christ, and is nothing to do with ceremonies we go through. Now Jews and Gentiles can come to God together – made one by Jesus Christ Who holds everyone together to form a holy temple where God lives by His Spirit.

Application? – Before each of us trusted Christ for our Salvation we were Spiritually dead, fulfilling the desires of our sinful natures.
But God . . . .
Do I fully value God’s Mercy or am I guilty of presumption and assume that whatever I do He will Forgive? Do I regard God with sufficient awe or as ‘a kind of heavenly Father Christmas’? As a Gentile I am doubly Blessed to be able to be part of God’s family through Jesus Christ; does my behaviour demonstrate sufficient gratitude? Do I experience God’s Peace? God lives by His Spirit in the Church of Jesus Christ - am I part of that Church?

Quote (David Pawson) – “Paul places great emphasis on Jew/Gentile unity. He is keen to stress that God has broken down the wall between (them), so powerfully demonstrated by the wall in the Temple which barred Gentiles from the inner courts on pain of death.

Frances
Jan 10th 2011, 05:27 PM
Ephesians 3

What does the text say?- Paul says he is a prisoner of Jesus Christ who has given him the responsibility of telling the Gentiles the facts about Himself, so that they might have the opportunity of being Godís heirs, as well as the Jews, of the riches inherited by all Godís children. God did not reveal His Plan to past generations, but now He has revealed it to the apostles and prophets by His Spirit. Paul has been given the privilege of spreading the Good News that God, the Creator of all things, has kept for this time. Because of Christ and our faith in Him we can come boldly and confidently into Godís Presence. Paul prays that, from His unlimited resources, God will empower those who trust Jesus Christ with inner strength by His Spirit, and that He will inhabit their hearts, and their roots will grow deep into Godís Love and keep them strong, understanding how long, wide, high and deep that Love is, and experience the Love of Christ, though it can never be fully known; and will be filled with the fullness of Life and Power that come from God. Then giving all Glory to God, Who can accomplish much more than we can ask, or think of, Paul prays that God will do exceedingly abundantly through His Church in all generations, for ever.

Application? - Do I regard myself as a willing prisoner of Jesus Christ? Am I making the Love of God through Jesus Christ made known to others? Do I pray with boldness and confidence through Jesus Christ? I am fully aware of the extent of Christís Love. Do I pray that God will strengthen the faith of all other Christians known to me? Do I pray for, and work towards, the knowledge of the extent of Christís Love? Do I believe that Christ will always be Glorified in His Church throughout all generations? (even though some Christians bring dishonour to Him instead).

Quote:- (David Pawson) ďAn examination of chapters 1-3 show that Paul is explaining the doctrine of Salvation in the context of a Service of worship. The Ďorderí is praise, prayer, preaching, prayer and praise and the themes of the Service is the Power and Purpose of God.

Frances
Jan 11th 2011, 03:32 PM
Ephesians 4

What does the text say?- Paul begs the Christians to ensure that their lives are worthy of those who are Called by God. He urges them to be humble, gentle, patient because of their love, making allowances for each other’s faults, endeavouring to keep the unity of the Spirit in a bond of peace. There is one Spirit, one faith, one baptism, one Lord, one God and Father above, through, and in all. The Lord makes some to be apostles, some prophets, some evangelists, some pastors and some teachers who all have the responsibility of equipping God’s people to do His Work and build up the Church which is the Body of Christ. God wants His people to all come to such unity in faith and knowledge of God’s Son that that they will be mature in the Lord, having reached Christ’s standard, then they will no longer be influenced by deviations from God’s Word by clever lies that pretend to be truth. Then each Christian will speak the Truth in love, becoming more and more like Christ Who is the head of the Church. As each part of His Body does it’s own work it helps the whole Body to be healthy and full of love. Christians must not live as those who are unsaved any longer, for the unsaved live for lustful pleasures and practice impurity, wandering far from the Life God gives, with minds and hearts closed and hardened against Him, corrupted by lust and deception; instead, they must let the Holy Spirit renew their thoughts and attitudes and put on the new nature of righteousness and holiness, and must not sin by letting anger control them – which gives an opening to the devil. They must not grieve God’s Holy Spirit by the way they live, for He guarantees Salvation on the day of Redemption. They must be kind and, tender-hearted, forgiving one another as God, through Christ, has forgiven them.

Application? – Does the way I live Glorify Jesus Christ? Am I gentle, long-suffering and loving? Am I argumentative or a peace-maker (one who attempts to bring folk to peace with God)? Do I fulfil my God-given role in Christ’s Body? Do I always check what others declare to be true against God’s Word? Could my understanding be darkened or my heart blind? Is my mind being renewed by Christ? Am I truly righteous and holy? Do My thoughts, and the way I live, glorify Christ?

Frances
Jan 12th 2011, 04:38 PM
Ephesians 5

What does the text say? – Christians should imitate God and love others as Christ loved us and gave Himself for us. Give thanks to God, and remember that immoral or obscene thoughts, talk or actions have no place among God’s people, for no immoral, impure or greedy person (who is an idolater) will inherit the Kingdom of God; do not try to excuse any of those Sins for the anger of God will fall on all those who disobey Him. Christians have the Light from the Lord, so must live as people of the Light, and expose all deeds of Darkness. Be careful how you live, not foolishly but with wisdom. Don’t act thoughtlessly but with understanding of the Lord’s Will. Too much alcohol will ruin your life, so be filled by the Holy Spirit instead, singing spiritual songs, hymns and psalms and make music to the Lord in your heart. Give thanks to God the Father, in the Name of Christ, for everything, submitting to one another out of reverence for Christ. When husbands love their wives in the same way that Christ loved the Church – giving up His life, wanting what was best for her - then their wives must submit to them in all things.

Application? – Is my life filled with love for others or love for myself? Do I covet status or possessions other folk have? Am I greedy? If I am immoral in thought, speech or action I will not inherit the kingdom of God. Do I live in the Light of Christ or in the Darkness of Sin? Am I wisely living to please God or foolishly allowing the devil to control my thoughts and actions? Am I filled with the Holy Spirit? Do I sing the praises of the Lord in my heart? Am I more concerned about my spouse’s welfare and pleasure than my own?

Frances
Jan 13th 2011, 04:36 PM
Ephesians 6

What does the text say? – the first Commandment is to honour your parents; so children must obey their parents and fathers must not provoke their children unnecessarily but bring them up with the discipline and instruction of the Lord. Servants/slaves must respectfully obey their earthly masters as they would Christ. As slaves of Christ the Will of God must be done at all times, and earthly tasks be done with enthusiasm and you must treat everyone working for you well. Be strong in the Lord, trusting His Mighty Power. Put on all the armour God has given you to enable you to stand firm against all the evil rulers of the world and against evil spirits in heavenly places. If you are truthful, having submitted your life to God the Father through Jesus Christ, and are prepared by the Good News, and live by your knowledge of it, and put complete trust in God your Father and Jesus Christ your Saviour, understanding God’s Word, persevere with pray on all occasions as the Holy Spirit leads, for all Christians to boldly tell others the Good News of Jesus Christ, and experience the Power and Grace of God.

Application? - Do I obey my parents? Do I unnecessarily anger my children? Do I teach the children the Lord’s requirements for His people. Am I obedient to my Christian leaders and those I work for? Do I do everything in ways that will please Christ? Have I acquired, and put on, every piece of armour God has supplied? Am I always totally truthful? Do I trust Jesus Christ to have done all that is necessary for my Salvation? Have I repented of past Sins and submitted my life to Him? Do I trust Him in every way? Is my mind protected from the devil’s darts by my assurance of Salvation? Do I fight battles using the Word of God, knowing His Word has Power? Do I pray as the Holy Spirit leads me to? Do I boldly share the Gospel knowing I’m Christ’s ambassador, and He will enable me to say what is exactly right for each occasion? Do I have sincere, undying love for Christ?