PDA

View Full Version : Bible Chat... Should we do it according to the Bible?

Firefighter
Jan 7th 2011, 11:01 PM
In a perfect world, moderators of a Christian board should be here to assist members, protect them from those that wish to cause trouble, and be a part of the conversations. This seems to be increasingly impossible as of late because we are having to spend our time being a referee between believers. It seems we get so caught up in debating what we believe that we forget about representing WHO we believe in. I am all for debate. I am all for passionate debate. I passionately debate a host of topics that I feel that I am right about. IT IS NOT ENOUGH TO BE RIGHT, WE ALSO HAVE TO BE RIGHTEOUS. At any given time, there are about 3 times the number of lurkers in here as there are members. Quite a few of those are undoubtedly non-believers. Does how you conduct yourself in a debate represent Christ? Does your conduct align with the scriptures you are so vigorously defending? Is your posting style in line with what you want the world to know and think about Christ? How you act says much more about what you believe then your theological musings.

I want everyone here to post at least one scripture that tells us how we should interact with each other and personal insight in regards to that scripture.

jeffweeder
Jan 7th 2011, 11:11 PM
Hello FF.
Good post.
Cant remember where the scripture is, but that one about considering others better than ourselves.
That should keep conversations in line.

Quickened
Jan 7th 2011, 11:19 PM
One that came up
1Th 5:14 And we urge you, brothers, admonish the idle, encourage the fainthearted, help the weak, be patient with them all.

Patient stood out to me. Helping the weak and encouraging the fainthearted.

One of the things i have learned in my years here is that people have such a strong zeal that it sometimes gets the best of them. If only we would all slow down and not be so quick to hit "post reply". A lot things would change for the better if we took our time more

david
Jan 7th 2011, 11:32 PM
I therefore, a prisoner for the Lord, urge you to walk in a manner worthy of the calling to which you have been called, 2 with all humility and gentleness, with patience, bearing with one another in love, 3 eager to maintain the unity of the Spirit in the bond of peace.
Eph 4:1-3 (ESV)
And he gave the apostles, the prophets, the evangelists, the shepherds and teachers, 12 to equip the saints for the work of ministry, for building up the body of Christ, 13 until we all attain to the unity of the faith and of the knowledge of the Son of God, to mature manhood, to the measure of the stature of the fullness of Christ, 14 so that we may no longer be children, tossed to and fro by the waves and carried about by every wind of doctrine, by human cunning, by craftiness in deceitful schemes. 15 Rather, speaking the truth in love, we are to grow up in every way into him who is the head, into Christ, 16 from whom the whole body, joined and held together by every joint with which it is equipped, when each part is working properly, makes the body grow so that it builds itself up in love.
Eph 4:11-16 (ESV)
Let the word of Christ dwell in you richly, teaching and admonishing one another in all wisdom, singing psalms and hymns and spiritual songs, with thankfulness in your hearts to God.
Col 3:16 (ESV)

keck553
Jan 8th 2011, 12:17 AM
I stumble from time to time, and sometimes more - however I always keep this near to my heart -

Though I speak with the tongues of men and of angels, but have not love, I have become sounding brass or a clanging cymbal. And though I have the gift of prophecy, and understand all mysteries and all knowledge, and though I have all faith, so that I could remove mountains, but have not love, I am nothing. And though I bestow all my goods to feed the poor, and though I give my body to be burned, but have not love, it profits me nothing.

Apparently one can do everything right, be right, have a heapin' helpin' of faith, know lots and lots of stuff intellectually, give up everything for the needy, but if done with a hard heart, it's just vanity and blowing in the wind. None of these attributes glorify God without love because in the absence of love, pride always fills the cup.

Vhayes
Jan 8th 2011, 01:10 AM
Philippians 2
3 - Do nothing from selfishness or empty conceit, but with humility of mind regard one another as more important than yourselves;

4 - do not merely look out for your own personal interests, but also for the interests of others.

5 - Have this attitude in yourselves which was also in Christ Jesus,

6 - who, although He existed in the form of God, did not regard equality with God a thing to be grasped,

7 - but emptied Himself, taking the form of a bond-servant, and being made in the likeness of men.

8 - Being found in appearance as a man, He humbled Himself by becoming obedient to the point of death, even death on a cross.

9 - For this reason also, God highly exalted Him, and bestowed on Him the name which is above every name,

10 - so that at the name of Jesus EVERY KNEE WILL BOW, of those who are in heaven and on earth and under the earth,

11 - and that every tongue will confess that Jesus Christ is Lord, to the glory of God the Father.

12 - So then, my beloved, just as you have always obeyed, not as in my presence only, but now much more in my absence, work out your salvation with fear and trembling;

13 - for it is God who is at work in you, both to will and to work for His good pleasure.

14 - Do all things without grumbling or disputing;

15 - so that you will prove yourselves to be blameless and innocent, children of God above reproach in the midst of a crooked and perverse generation, among whom you appear as lights in the world,

16 - holding fast the word of life, so that in the day of Christ I will have reason to glory because I did not run in vain nor toil in vain.

karenoka27
Jan 8th 2011, 01:13 AM
Hello FF.
Good post.
Cant remember where the scripture is, but that one about considering others better than ourselves.
That should keep conversations in line.

You may be thinking of Phillipians 2:3-"Let nothing be done through strife or vainglory; but in lowliness of mind let each esteem other better than themselves."
oops didn't see the post above this!

karenoka27
Jan 8th 2011, 01:17 AM
I thought of Galatians 5:13-"For, brethren, ye have been called unto liberty; only use not liberty for an occasion to the flesh, but by love serve one another."
This verse reminds of threads that talk about drinking or another topic that some feel they have freedom to do certain things and others don't. Instead of turning it into a debate...let every man stand or fall before God in their own convictions.:hug:

Vhayes
Jan 8th 2011, 01:20 AM
Different people need different things. Jesus was soft spoken and compassionate with those who were not His followers. They were lost and He knew it. To His followers, He was loving and forgiving even when He saw their doubts, fears, pride and plain old pig-headedness. To those who were of the persuasion that they were better than others based upon their station in life and their ability to make God happy with their own deeds - He was brutal.

It seems a good guideline to me.

Slug1
Jan 8th 2011, 01:23 AM
James 1:19 So then,[a (http://www.biblegateway.com/passage/?search=James%201&version=NKJV;#fen-NKJV-30282a)] my beloved brethren, let every man be swift to hear, slow to speak, slow to wrath; 20 for the wrath of man does not produce the righteousness of God.

If we come into a thread looking for a win, no matter what... it's already spiritually lost because the heart is in a wrong place.

v21 Therefore lay aside all filthiness and overflow of wickedness, and receive with meekness the implanted word, which is able to save your souls.

If we come into a thread not willing to listen... not only will we not hear, but NEVER learn ( Word received/implanted into ones heart) either.

With v19-21, through this we DO... both produce and receive!

22 But be doers of the word, and not hearers only, deceiving yourselves.

We won't forget who we are in Christ and He will be able to be who His IS, in us.

Mark F
Jan 8th 2011, 01:58 AM
I was thinking the same thing, many times I read threads that interest me, but I do not post because I have convictions that differ with others and it seems that there is a sort of condescending criticism that is intended to belittle and humiliate, it just should not be so...

There are so many if we really look. The hard part is to see the speck in our own eye.

James 3:13-18
13 Who is wise and understanding among you? Let him show by good conduct that his works are done in the meekness of wisdom. 14 But if you have bitter envy and self-seeking in your hearts, do not boast and lie against the truth. 15 This wisdom does not descend from above, but is earthly, sensual, demonic. 16 For where envy and self-seeking exist, confusion and every evil thing are there. 17 But the wisdom that is from above is first pure, then peaceable, gentle, willing to yield, full of mercy and good fruits, without partiality and without hypocrisy. 18 Now the fruit of righteousness is sown in peace by those who make peace.

And this too, the writer giving instruction to avoid chastening....

Hebrews 12:12-17
12 Therefore strengthen the hands which hang down, and the feeble knees, 13 and make straight paths for your feet, so that what is lame may not be dislocated, but rather be healed.
14 Pursue peace with all people, and holiness, without which no one will see the Lord: 15 looking carefully lest anyone fall short of the grace of God; lest any root of bitterness springing up cause trouble, and by this many become defiled; 16 lest there be any fornicator or profane person like Esau, who for one morsel of food sold his birthright. 17 For you know that afterward, when he wanted to inherit the blessing, he was rejected, for he found no place for repentance, though he sought it diligently with tears.

It seems that the root of bitterness is watered and fed by us, and we can cause others to stumble as well.

So yes, I agree with Firefighter on this.

ProjectPeter
Jan 8th 2011, 02:47 AM
Folks need to knock it off and grow up because I'm fixing to start going Cujo on some of the junk happening... I don't mind folks with their toe on the line... it's lively and it's real. But we are going to start using hammers on the toe that crosses that line. If you have "Yes I am a Christian" in your profile... prove it because the actions of many make me think we have quite a few folks that are either highly confused about what Christian means... or they are liars.

1 Ken 1: 1

Slug1
Jan 8th 2011, 02:52 AM
Folks need to knock it off and grow up because I'm fixing to start going Cujo on some of the junk happening... I don't mind folks with their toe on the line... it's lively and it's real. But we are going to start using hammers on the toe that crosses that line. If you have "Yes I am a Christian" in your profile... prove it because the actions of many make me think we have quite a few folks that are either highly confused about what Christian means... or they are liars.

1 Ken 1: 1I'm having trouble locating this in my 1 Ken 1... :lol:

Ya know, I just had to say it :P

amazzin
Jan 8th 2011, 02:54 AM
I'm having trouble locating this in my 1 Ken 1... :lol:

Ya know, I just had to say it :P

Behave! And then Slug wept
2 Amazzin 1:3

Slug1
Jan 8th 2011, 02:55 AM
Behave! And then Slug wept
2 Amazzin 1:3Hahaha, yes pa!

chad
Jan 8th 2011, 07:18 AM
I have noticed that people either do not post much or have left this forum for the very reasons that Fire Fighter has pointed out.

(Col 3:12 NIV) Therefore, as God's chosen people, holy and dearly loved, clothe yourselves with compassion, kindness, humility, gentleness and patience.

(Col 3:13 NIV) Bear with each other and forgive whatever grievances you may have against one another. Forgive as the Lord forgave you.

(Col 3:14 NIV) And over all these virtues put on love, which binds them all together in perfect unity.

(Col 3:15 NIV) Let the peace of Christ rule in your hearts, since as members of one body you were called to peace. And be thankful.

matthew7and1
Jan 8th 2011, 09:11 AM
MATTHEW 5:16
"Let your light so shine before men, that they may see your good works and glorify your Father in heaven. "
All that we do is seen and heard and interpreted as the actions of Christ himself. To unbelievers and believers alike we can paint a picture of who Christ is that is inaccurate and derailing. When we let the light of Jesus shine through us ... less of us and more of Him.... That is when we glorify our God.

1 JOHN 3:18
"My children, our love should not be just words and talk; it must be true love, which shows itself in action."
.. or text! When we are finding ourselves behaving, speaking or typing unlovingly, we have to examine our hearts and minds. Because as they say: actions speak louder than words. We show what we we really feel with facial expressions, comments and actions. When those things aren't full of the love of God, we need to be honest in examining ourselves and openening up to what God wants to pour into us instead of what we think.

AndrewBaptistFL
Jan 8th 2011, 12:06 PM
As for scripture, I like to read my signature line after every post.
I think we should be continuously be praying for our moderators here, that the Lord strengthens them and allows them to fearlessly make known His Word as they should. Most of us put a great deal of trust in the moderating team, that if and when we step out of line we will be lovingly corrected.

notuptome
Jan 8th 2011, 05:22 PM
The word of God is quick and powerful...Heb 4:12 The word of God is a discerner of the thoughts and intents of the heart.

Thanks for the reminder to proceede with care.

For the cause of Christ
Roger

-SEEKING-
Jan 9th 2011, 04:13 PM
I stumbled upon this scripture while doing a study with my wife about a different topic.

2 Corinthians 10:7 "You are looking at things as they are outwardly If anyone is confident in himself that he is Christ's, let him consider this again within himself, that just as he is Christ's, so also are we." - NASB

-SEEKING-
Jan 9th 2011, 07:13 PM
Bumping this. I think this is something we should always keep in mind.

Dizzytimes7
Jan 9th 2011, 10:20 PM
Proverbs 3:3

Don't ever forget kindness and truth.
Wear them like a necklace.
Write them on your heart as if on a tablet.
Then you will be respected
and will please both God and people.

If we write something like we are writing it to the Lord
then we won't hurt someone's feelings.

Servant89
Jan 9th 2011, 10:30 PM
... being full of the Holy Ghost does not mean being soft all the time. It is written:

Acts 7:51 Ye stiffnecked and uncircumcised in heart and ears, ye do always resist the Holy Ghost: as your fathers did, so do ye.
52 Which of the prophets have not your fathers persecuted? and they have slain them which shewed before of the coming of the Just One; of whom ye have been now the betrayers and murderers:
53 Who have received the law by the disposition of angels, and have not kept it.
54 When they heard these things, they were cut to the heart, and they gnashed on him with their teeth.
55 But he, being full of the Holy Ghost, looked up stedfastly into heaven, and saw the glory of God, and Jesus standing on the right hand of God,
56 And said, Behold, I see the heavens opened, and the Son of man standing on the right hand of God.
57 Then they cried out with a loud voice, and stopped their ears, and ran upon him with one accord,
58 And cast him out of the city, and stoned him: and the witnesses laid down their clothes at a young man's feet, whose name was Saul.

Mt 12:34 O generation of vipers, how can ye, being evil, speak good things? for out of the abundance of the heart the mouth speaketh.

Mt 23:33 Ye serpents, ye generation of vipers, how can ye escape the damnation of hell?

There is a balance with God.... being full of the Holy Ghost some times it means locking horns with the religious establishment.

Shalom

Fenris
Jan 10th 2011, 04:44 PM
Psalms 34:13. Who is the man who desires life, who loves days to see goodness? Guard your tongue from evil and your lips from speaking deceitfully. Shun evil and do good, seek peace and pursue it.

Repeated in 1 Peter 3:10-11 :)

RabbiKnife
Jan 10th 2011, 05:54 PM
Answer not a fool according to his folly.~~ Proverbs

Sometimes, you just have to let the idiots stupify themselves.

Cast not you pearls before swine.

Sometimes, you just have to let the stupid idiofy themselves.

If you win a fight with a goober, what have you really won? ~~RabbiKnife Book of Wisdom, Chapter 6, verse 66.

ProjectPeter
Jan 10th 2011, 06:10 PM
Answer not a fool according to his folly.~~ Proverbs

Sometimes, you just have to let the idiots stupify themselves.

Cast not you pearls before swine.

Sometimes, you just have to let the stupid idiofy themselves.

If you win a fight with a goober, what have you really won? ~~RabbiKnife Book of Wisdom, Chapter 6, verse 66.

I intentionally stayed out of Proverbs for the very reason you displayed. :lol:

Diggindeeper
Jan 10th 2011, 06:35 PM
2 Timothy 4:1-4
1 I charge thee therefore before God, and the Lord Jesus Christ, who shall judge the quick and the dead at his appearing and his kingdom;

2 Preach the word; be instant in season, out of season; reprove, rebuke, exhort with all longsuffering and doctrine.

3 For the time will come when they will not endure sound doctrine; but after their own lusts shall they heap to themselves teachers, having itching ears;

4 And they shall turn away their ears from the truth, and shall be turned unto fables.

I think one of the biggest things Paul was saying is that we should " reprove, rebuke, exhort." We should not ever get to the point of allowing false doctrine, occult teachings, etc. to grow and spread, especially on a board such as this. We've had people come here and do exactly that, and they must be confronted. Yes, with kindness and gentleness if they will allow that. But once in a while, we have an obligation to take a stand and not let 'tolerance' rule, as in doctrinal issues. There are people here who hold all kinds of beliefs, but there are main points that we can all agree on.

Goofiness and deliberate false teachings, well, Paul said in Titus "their mouths must be stopped." I know this was addressed to bishops, but it applies in general also, I believe.

Titus 1:9-16

9 Holding fast the faithful word as he hath been taught, that he may be able by sound doctrine both to exhort and to convince the gainsayers.

10 For there are many unruly and vain talkers and deceivers, specially they of the circumcision:

11 Whose mouths must be stopped, who subvert whole houses, teaching things which they ought not, for filthy lucre's sake.

12 One of themselves, even a prophet of their own, said, The Cretians are alway liars, evil beasts, slow bellies.

13 This witness is true. Wherefore rebuke them sharply, that they may be sound in the faith;

14 Not giving heed to Jewish fables, and commandments of men, that turn from the truth.

15 Unto the pure all things are pure: but unto them that are defiled and unbelieving is nothing pure; but even their mind and conscience is defiled.

16 They profess that they know God; but in works they deny him, being abominable, and disobedient, and unto every good work reprobate.

As Moderators, we walk a fine line sometimes.

Servant89
Jan 11th 2011, 12:41 AM
Rebuking sharply is far easier than taking the sharp rebuke.

Insulting fellow Christians is far easier than taking the insults.

Too many Christians get offended when someone questions their theology.

1 Cor 6:7 Now therefore there is utterly a fault among you, because ye go to law one with another. Why do ye not rather take wrong? why do ye not rather suffer yourselves to be defrauded?

Ps 119:165 Great peace have they which love thy law: and nothing shall offend them.

That is the true measure of a giant, on how we handle those that insult us.

Shalom

Servant89
Jan 11th 2011, 12:42 AM
Psalms 34:13. Who is the man who desires life, who loves days to see goodness? Guard your tongue from evil and your lips from speaking deceitfully. Shun evil and do good, seek peace and pursue it.

Repeated in 1 Peter 3:10-11 :)

Lord... bless Fenris !!!!

Shalom

Doge
Jan 11th 2011, 01:16 AM
Interesting thread it will be even more interesting to see how many that talk at others rather then to them post cute verses..but it's all good .. group hug anyone :hug::hug::hug::help::hug::hug:

Firefighter
Jan 11th 2011, 02:24 AM
Always the optimist, huh? :B

Doge
Jan 11th 2011, 03:13 AM
Always the optimist, huh? :BNot sure what to make of this .. is it sarcasm .. indifference...or did I frustrate you already..

Perhaps you're right but it seems to me this thread is guilty of its accusation. Because (and I'm not being argumentative just sharing my thoughts) you/this thread is imposing/forcing its/your views.....and in a rather patronizing way...are you sure you're doing the very same thing you're asking of others.

I want everyone here to post at least one scripture that tells us how we should interact with each other and personal insight in regards to that scripture.
Is this mandatory .. what are we in kindergarten.

ProjectPeter
Jan 11th 2011, 03:20 AM
You have several options. Don't post in the thread. Always a good option if you really have nothing to add. There's the ever popular red X option... at the top right corner of our screens. Another option well exercised if something is getting that badly on your nerves. As to forcing views... this ain't a Communist Government. You have many options including the ones above. So not quite sure what dog you're bringing to the hunt here... but I think you're sort of barking up the wrong tree.

Firefighter
Jan 11th 2011, 03:52 AM
Because (and I'm not being argumentative just sharing my thoughts) you/this thread is imposing/forcing its/your views.....and in a rather patronizing way...are you sure you're doing the very same thing you're asking of others.

To answer your question, YES. I expect users to post in accordance to the commands and examples found in scripture. Am I wrong for expecting Christians to post in a manner that is worthy of their profession of faith in Christ? If so, then feel free to lay the blame entirely at my feet.

Vhayes
Jan 11th 2011, 04:13 AM
Interesting thread it will be even more interesting to see how many that talk at others rather then to them post cute verses..but it's all good .. group hug anyone :hug::hug::hug::help::hug::hug:
I ain't a group hugger. I do not sing Kumbaya. I stand my ground.

But I TRY to do that with humility. Now and again my hilljack, school-of-hard-knocks comes out and I say things I may later regret. I try to apologize for those.

Why is asking a Christian to act with the grace and dignity of the King a big deal?

V

Doge
Jan 11th 2011, 04:25 AM
You have several options. Don't post in the thread. Always a good option if you really have nothing to add. There's the ever popular red X option... at the top right corner of our screens. Another option well exercised if something is getting that badly on your nerves. As to forcing views... this ain't a Communist Government. You have many options including the ones above. So not quite sure what dog you're bringing to the hunt here... but I think you're sort of barking up the wrong tree.This must be what a loving Christian response looks like .. :lol:

But I know the options and I chose to share my thoughts on this one..

Doge
Jan 11th 2011, 04:30 AM
I ain't a group hugger. I do not sing Kumbaya. I stand my ground.

awww noo .. come on you kow you want too :)

But I TRY to do that with humility. Now and again my hilljack, school-of-hard-knocks comes out and I say things I may later regret. I try to apologize for those.

Don't we all

Why is asking a Christian to act with the grace and dignity of the King a big deal?

Nothing .. just not all Christians agree on what it means to be a Christian so we can expect to agree disagree .. and the rest of it..

Firefighter
Jan 11th 2011, 04:38 AM
Nothing .. just not all Christians agree on what it means to be a Christian so we can expect to agree disagree .. and the rest of it..

Do you reckon that is might be why I asked you guys to post a scripture of your choosing and then "your personal insights" concerning the scripture?

-SEEKING-
Jan 11th 2011, 04:47 AM
Wow. I had such high hopes for this one. Nothing wrong with us doing a little soul searching every now and then.

ProjectPeter
Jan 11th 2011, 04:54 AM
This must be what a loving Christian response looks like .. :lol:

But I know the options and I chose to share my thoughts on this one..It was said in absolute love. Why would you think otherwise? Bad day today?

Firefighter
Jan 11th 2011, 05:02 AM
1 Corinthians 4:21 What do you prefer? Shall I come to you with a rod of discipline, or shall I come in love and with a gentle spirit?

Sometimes love is both.

Doge
Jan 11th 2011, 05:08 AM
Do you reckon that is might be why I asked you guys to post a scripture of your choosing and then "your personal insights" concerning the scripture?Erm let me be blunt .... I've seen people with starts on their profiles be abrupt, belittling to new members, laugh at their misunderstanding of scripture, one can learn the cute verses by heart and forget their meaning we arn't perfect hence some of my reasons for holding the mirror back on this thread.

Vhayes
Jan 11th 2011, 05:17 AM
Erm let me be blunt .... I've seen people with starts on their profiles be abrupt, belittling to new members, laugh at their misunderstanding of scripture, one can learn the cute verses by heart and forget their meaning we arn't perfect hence some of my reasons for holding the mirror back on this thread.

Which, I believe, was the point of this thread. We ALL need to think before we type. Well, all except me, of course :-)

If you believed that last line, I have a bridge in Brooklyn that I'll sell ya realllll cheap. :-)

Firstfruits
Jan 11th 2011, 11:33 AM
Gal 6:10 As we have therefore opportunity, let us do good unto all men, especially unto them who are of the household of faith.

Eph 4:13 Till we all come in the unity of the faith, and of the knowledge of the Son of God, unto a perfect man, unto the measure of the stature of the fulness of Christ:

Firstfruits

Slug1
Jan 11th 2011, 01:01 PM
Erm let me be blunt .... I've seen people with starts on their profiles be abrupt, belittling to new members, laugh at their misunderstanding of scripture, one can learn the cute verses by heart and forget their meaning we arn't perfect hence some of my reasons for holding the mirror back on this thread.We've all seen it and many of us are perpetrators, myself included... of it as well.

What is exposed now and as Firefighter is trying to point out... this isn't a place where the person with the bigger Bible in his/her hand is the one who is always correct in their understanding of God's Word and His meaning. That 4x6x1 Bible in my back pocket is just as correct and authoritive as the 11x8x3 Bible in someones other hand AND no matter what the translation is as well. But if they are bashing their's upside other peoples heads thinking they'll make a better dent that means something and should knock sense into a person... they're wrong :lol:

The bashing is whats wrong... all can offer correction and if it's not accepted, all we can do is offer correction, if it's not accepted, all we can do is offer correction. The moment that flow is interupted by what you describe... we're guaranteed no acceptance of the correction(s) that are put forth.

PneumaPsucheSoma
Jan 11th 2011, 04:27 PM
"And we beseech you, brethren, to know them which labor among you, and are over you in the Lord, and admonish you; And to esteem them very highly in love for their work's sake. And be at peace among yourselves. Now we exhort you, brethren, warn them that are unruly, comfort the feebleminded, support the weak, be patient toward all men. See that none render evil for evil unto any man; but ever follow that which is good, both among yourselves, and to all men."
-1Thessalonians 5:12-15

Culture and forum format has equalized everyone on a personal basis and has diminished positional recognition and respect. A baby or lifetime-indoctrinated believer has no qualms about addressing those who are called to ministry "office". There's little sense of discerning positional authority.

For example, I respond to those laboring in ministry (Amazzin, ProjectPeter, Firefighter, RabbiKnife, etc.) differently than others. They are to be esteemed positionally. Others are esteemed personally based on evidence of the Spirit.

"My brethren, be not many masters (didaskolos G1320), knowing that we shall receive the greater condemnation."
-James 3:1

"And he gave some, apostles; and some, prophets; and some, evangelists; and some pastors and teachers (didaskolos G1320)."
-Ephesians 4:11

Everyone wants to teach their view. Didaskolos is a position given by the calling of God for the perfecting of the saints, et al. Most doctrinal problems have come from others taking roles not appointed by God.

Where there's no recognition of spiritual authority, there will be unnecessary conflict. Everyone wants to be a master. A password and forum log-in isn't spiritual carte blanche. Few want to sit under governors and tutors until the time appointed by the Father. Jesus did... and He was God made flesh.

Reprove. Rebuke. Exhort. It ain't all fluff and roses, especially with a bazillion conflicting doctrines out there.

Dani H
Jan 11th 2011, 04:54 PM
It's a matter of being hearers, and not doers.

People know the Bible, that's a fact. Researched it, studied it, you can tell who here has done so. They got a verse and chapter for everything. Just ask them, they know it.

You can, however, also tell who here doesn't live what the Bible says. They know the Bible, but they do not know Jesus. Because people who actually know Jesus, know how to treat others because they live every single day to obey His commandments which are those of loving God and your neighbor as yourself.

And if you take offense to that statement, then I'm talking about you.

Best go repent before it's too late and your knowledge without love (you clanging cymbal, you) buries you alive.

keck553
Jan 11th 2011, 06:27 PM
Having been guilty of every prideful sin expressed in this thread, the best I can offer is confession and plead for forgiveness. The reason I need to confess having been manipulative, arrogant and deceitful is important.

Those of us who claim to be chosen of God in New Covenant through Messiah Jesus depend on promises of God through His prophets and through His Son. Those promises point to works of God in each of us. Whereas the Law commands one to circumcise their heart, God promises to circumcise the heart of a New Covenant believer. Even more, it is written that God does all things, that we can not make ourselves holy, that we can not boast of our works, that we can not obey God properly by our own effort.

We need Him. However, we need to tell something to our hearts and souls. If we claim we are members of God's promises to change our hearts, to sanctify us, to conform us to His Son thorugh His Word and indwelling Holy Spirit, then by default we become emmissaries of His promise. I usually jump to the bottom line in things, so I've come to recognize that each time I act as a hypocrite, I give a testimony that 1) either God can't do what He promised or 2) I have unbelief. I don't think there is a middle ground. And that's why Jesus raises the standards of God's Laws to a heart-condition. If God can circumcise our hearts, then the fruit of that shouldn't be a hard heart, and Jesus makes that pretty clear (to me) in the Gospels. There's no other way around it. Either I allow Him in or I refuse to.

I suppose i can lay the blame of this on "sanctification." After all, it's a process....right? I do not think we can use that as an excuse. If God's Spirit is in us, then we know when we feel pride, when we feel we have to prove we're right, when self-righteousness creeps in. I certainly do. Sometimes I ignore the conviction. Sometimes I get so zealous that I don't recognise it for what it is. But each time I transgress, I profane the promise of God. And that hurts, especially when in the process of defending God's Word, I actually do the opposite - I profane His promise that He has circumcised my heart.

So, all I can do when I've basically displayed God's promises as empty by my rebellious behaviour is confess it to all who will hear, and depart from those ways.

I do not know the hearts of those here - or anywhere. Only God knows. But that's the point. He knows my intentions even as I type these words.

But..there is one truth that unbelievers may have difficulty understanding. The LORD of the universe, the God of creation is longsuffering and His arms are outstretched all day long to receive the repentent.

Servant89
Jan 12th 2011, 12:54 PM
They are right, I stink, I am blind, I am a sinner, and I do not know him as I should. But I am having a good day, yes I am... Cause I am called by his name.

Shalom

onecalled
Feb 6th 2011, 06:07 AM
AMEN... I agree that we should love one another but also disciple each other with what we have learned from God's Word. All of us have been raised differently in life, because of this our views on God differ. So what do you do. Help one another and ALLOW GOD TO TEACH the person, just as God has taught me. I also have noticed some defensiveness on this forum which is unfortunate because even if you are a scholar of God's Word but do not reflect the image of Christ what have you gained? And what about the Holy Spirit, do you allow the Spirit to teach you how to love one another? My greatest desire is to love as Jesus loves, even if I have only two bible verses memorized.

Servant89
Feb 7th 2011, 02:49 AM
Psalms 34:13. Who is the man who desires life, who loves days to see goodness? Guard your tongue from evil and your lips from speaking deceitfully. Shun evil and do good, seek peace and pursue it. Repeated in 1 Peter 3:10-11 :)

Yeah Fenris, but there is something about being full of the Holy One of Israel that caused most prophets to be killed. Where do we see the prophets singing Kumbaya and calling for group hugs in the Old Testament?

When people are not allowed to quote Scripture (or historical data that brings glory to God by showing prophecy was fulfilled) because it offends people, that usually gets God's attention.... the wrong way.

Isa 30:8 Now go, write it before them in a table, and note it in a book, that it may be for the time to come for ever and ever:
9 That this is a rebellious people, lying children, children that will not hear the law of the LORD:
10 Which say to the seers, See not; and to the prophets, Prophesy not unto us right things, speak unto us smooth things, prophesy deceits:
11 Get you out of the way, turn aside out of the path, cause the Holy One of Israel to cease from before us.
12 Wherefore thus saith the Holy One of Israel, Because ye despise this word, and trust in oppression and perverseness, and stay thereon:
13 Therefore this iniquity shall be to you as a breach ready to fall, swelling out in a high wall, whose breaking cometh suddenly at an instant.

There is no fear of God anymore. Someone says, it is written... And he gets punished because it offended someone with poor character.

Ps 119:165 Great peace have they which love thy law: and nothing shall offend them.

Glory to God for persecution for his name's sake.

Too many people are willingly ignorant (2Pet 3:5).

Hos 6:6 For I desired mercy, and not sacrifice; and the knowledge of God more than burnt offerings.

Hos 4:6 My people are destroyed for lack of knowledge: because thou hast rejected knowledge, I will also reject thee, that thou shalt be no priest to me: seeing thou hast forgotten the law of thy God, I will also forget thy children.

When wolves come in with the wrong doctrine, do not be surprised if the Holy Spirit moves Christians to let them have it.

Acts 4:31 And when they had prayed, the place was shaken where they were assembled together; and they were all filled with the Holy Ghost, and they spake the word of God with boldness.

Shalom

Zack702
Feb 7th 2011, 05:45 AM
Hebrews 13
"Let brotherly love continue.
Be not forgetful to entertain strangers: for thereby some have entertained angels unawares.
Remember them that are in bonds, as bound with them; and them which suffer adversity, as being yourselves also in the body."

I try to remember that there are/will be readers who may have a snare around there feet concerning certain topics and perhaps christianity in general.

As well as try to remember that I myself may have such a snare.

I do it so that I might be a help to get out of that snare.

For example, trying to strike interest in the subject rather than just bluntly stating it as end of discussion.

As well as diligently listening to others and trying to understand there position and how it relates to biblical knowledge.

Try to give respect to others opinion no matter how I personally feel.

Whether right or wrong I believe we can place ourselfs in each others shoes so to speak. For the sake of discussion.

This is perhaps easier for a user than it is for a mod. Since I have the option of being somewhat more open ended.

I find it also important to respect the position of the website/mods and to always consider there stance and settlement.

Servant89
Feb 7th 2011, 12:46 PM
Hebrews 13
"Let brotherly love continue.
Be not forgetful to entertain strangers: for thereby some have entertained angels unawares.
Remember them that are in bonds, as bound with them; and them which suffer adversity, as being yourselves also in the body."

I try to remember that there are/will be readers who may have a snare around there feet concerning certain topics and perhaps christianity in general.

As well as try to remember that I myself may have such a snare.

I do it so that I might be a help to get out of that snare.

For example, trying to strike interest in the subject rather than just bluntly stating it as end of discussion.

As well as diligently listening to others and trying to understand there position and how it relates to biblical knowledge.

Try to give respect to others opinion no matter how I personally feel.

Whether right or wrong I believe we can place ourselfs in each others shoes so to speak. For the sake of discussion.

This is perhaps easier for a user than it is for a mod. Since I have the option of being somewhat more open ended.

I find it also important to respect the position of the website/mods and to always consider their stance and settlement.

WOW.... AMEN !!!

Shalom