PDA

View Full Version : When to not fellowship with argumentative christians

watchman 2
Jan 8th 2011, 01:28 PM
Some christians are so argumentative, combative, and attacking types. I have tried to make the peace, but because I have not thrown out my non KJV translations, I have been publicly attacked by some people. I never once said that the KJV was a bad translation or not the word of God. But because I said it was not the most accurate translation and this is based upon my completion of some classic in textual criticism, and reading some KJV Only books, I have been attacked by some christians.

It gets discouraging, but I just cant communicate with some christians anymore. I tried to not even speak about what divides us, but this pastor kept on bringing it up, and up, and up, and no matter how many times I tried to ignore him, or not mention it, he kept on pointing back to it. And the sad thing is that there are people that follow people like this! Making a wise decision?

John

Samuel Owen
Jan 8th 2011, 02:09 PM
John.

I would most certainly agree, that the KJV’s old English translation is not the easiest to read. With it’s old world phrases and words; but you can become accustomed to them if you really want to.

As for other translations than the KJV, I own several. But I also realize that they are inferior to the KJV, regardless of language. The texts of the newer translations are from Alexandrian origin, which are corrupted by a combination of Christian doctrine, and Egyptian mysticism. These are well documented facts, and there is no argument except! by the modern educated so called scholars. :)

I am not going to fuss on you, but I suggest you do some more non-biased research before deciding which translation is best, not just based on ease of reading. It’s the textual corruption I object to, and not so much the modernization of the language. Although some of the modern words do not do the best job of conferring the thought of the text, as do the older words; believe it or not. :o

PS. I know just how argumentative some Christians can be, and believe me that gets them nowhere. It just heaps much criticism on their heads, whether they realize it or not.

watchman 2
Jan 8th 2011, 02:40 PM
Actually graduate level courses in textual criticism are far from biased. They focus on facts. Very very few if any KJVO types have taken these kinds of classes, and often they speak from bias, and feelings, rather than hardcore facts and research.

I have taken undergraduate courses in exegesis and I have friends that have taken graduate courses in exegesis and languages. We all agree that the KJVO argument is one of emotion, feeling, opinion, and bias. Its not a rational argument.

John

Ninna
Jan 8th 2011, 04:08 PM
Thread moved to Bible Chat.

EarlyCall
Jan 8th 2011, 04:52 PM
Some christians are so argumentative, combative, and attacking types. I have tried to make the peace, but because I have not thrown out my non KJV translations, I have been publicly attacked by some people. I never once said that the KJV was a bad translation or not the word of God. But because I said it was not the most accurate translation and this is based upon my completion of some classic in textual criticism, and reading some KJV Only books, I have been attacked by some christians.

It gets discouraging, but I just cant communicate with some christians anymore. I tried to not even speak about what divides us, but this pastor kept on bringing it up, and up, and up, and no matter how many times I tried to ignore him, or not mention it, he kept on pointing back to it. And the sad thing is that there are people that follow people like this! Making a wise decision?

John

It is difficult to argue with someone when they will not argue back. :)

notuptome
Jan 8th 2011, 05:32 PM
It is difficult to argue with someone when they will not argue back. :)
There are forums here on Bible Forums where argument or debate is not allowed. I have a suspicion that anyone can be seen as argumentive it they are advocating for something they really believe.

For the cause of Christ
Roger

EarlyCall
Jan 8th 2011, 05:57 PM
There are forums here on Bible Forums where argument or debate is not allowed. I have a suspicion that anyone can be seen as argumentive it they are advocating for something they really believe.

For the cause of Christ
Roger

Yes, without a doubt what you say is so. And you make a good point. I think we all have to decide, if we think another person is being argumentative, whether we wish to cintinue or not. If we do continue, then we are also being argumentative, if in fact we consider the other person to be so. Or so it would seem to me.

Vhayes
Jan 8th 2011, 06:03 PM
Yes, without a doubt what you say is so. And you make a good point. I think we all have to decide, if we think another person is being argumentative, whether we wish to cintinue or not. If we do continue, then we are also being argumentative, if in fact we consider the other person to be so. Or so it would seem to me.

Good post, Earl Call - whre have you been? It's good to see you back!
V

RabbiKnife
Jan 10th 2011, 07:30 PM
Never argue with a fool, whether that fool is a believer or a non-believer.

Just makes you tired and hardens the head of the fool.

RollTide21
Jan 10th 2011, 07:38 PM
As far as this board goes, I like the vehement arguing. There has been very little hostility on this board and I sense that most of us have the shared respect of Christ being our Lord. In my view, it's Ok that we get a little riled up. We're all Brothers and Sisters.

Besides, I am a member of a couple of other message boards. Those arguments make the most heated debates on this board look like a big group hug. :lol: