PDA

View Full Version : Not sure where to post this.... News

A820djd
Jan 10th 2011, 06:43 PM
Link: http://gizmodo.com/5729144/obama-administration-sets-ambiguous-national-internet-id-program-in-motion

Official post: http://www.cbsnews.com/8301-501465_162-20027837-501465.html

each U.S. citizen with a single online ID with which to sign into multiple sites, pages and platforms.

Doesn't sound like to bad of an idea right? Wrong.

This makes it so if you want online you have to enter your real information which contains every one of your online ID's. Not too bad if you have nothing to hide right? Wrong again.

This is the start of the government reducing your freedoms and telling you they are making it more secure.

Is it really MORE secure to have a single login that controls essentially everything you have online? You will be monitored more so than you are now.

It's called the "Obama Administration National Internet ID Program"

Sounds nothing like a way to control America at all does it?/sarcasm\ Also if you're a follower of wikileaks on twitter, you will not be able to get ANY government job and the government will track your movements online as they see fit. Scary isn't it? no longer a conspiracy theory folks:note:

Dani H
Jan 10th 2011, 08:40 PM
This has been moved to our Controversial section.

Clavicula_Nox
Jan 10th 2011, 09:22 PM
Yeah, I saw this the other day. The logic goes way beyond fail, but most people will buy into it.

And it's not like politicians need our permission anyway, m i rite?

Athanasius
Jan 10th 2011, 10:10 PM
Is this similar to what South Korea enforces? Otherwise I enjoy the modicum of anonymity I actually do have.

Ecumaniac
Jan 10th 2011, 10:27 PM
Facebook Connect is probably a bigger threat to online privacy than this is. The convenience of logging in with one account is not worth trading every little bit of demographic data they have about you. Every silly little application demands an obscene level of access to your personal information, and we are not far shy of them offering unlimited access to their advertisers—they pay the bills, after all.

Your online habits are tracked by cookies which provide networks with shockingly rich, detailed information on your personal browsing habits. Governments have tried, and so far as we know failed, to subpoena unimaginable volumes of data on the flimsiest of pretexts.

If you are worried about your privacy, close your Facebook account, get a decent ad-blocker, be careful about sharing too much and start fragmenting your online identity. And most importantly, never give out real demographic information if you can help it.

Pop quiz: how many of you know if I'm a girl or a boy? (Don't say if you know. ;))

Clavicula_Nox
Jan 10th 2011, 10:55 PM
Facebook Connect is probably a bigger threat to online privacy than this is. The convenience of logging in with one account is not worth trading every little bit of demographic data they have about you. Every silly little application demands an obscene level of access to your personal information, and we are not far shy of them offering unlimited access to their advertisers—they pay the bills, after all.

Your online habits are tracked by cookies which provide networks with shockingly rich, detailed information on your personal browsing habits. Governments have tried, and so far as we know failed, to subpoena unimaginable volumes of data on the flimsiest of pretexts.

If you are worried about your privacy, close your Facebook account, get a decent ad-blocker, be careful about sharing too much and start fragmenting your online identity. And most importantly, never give out real demographic information if you can help it.

Pop quiz: how many of you know if I'm a girl or a boy? (Don't say if you know. ;))

None of this matters if we are forced to register a single, unique, Internet ID by the government.

Besides the obvious control factor, this is a good way of taxing our internet usage. I shutter to think what my first "Message board, forum, BB tax" bill will look like.

Ecumaniac
Jan 10th 2011, 11:25 PM
Oh, honestly…

I just wrote a response to you Clav, but a combination of clicking while tired and the whiz-bang reply form obliterated it. I'm off to bed.

Athanasius
Jan 11th 2011, 12:23 AM
If my "anonymity" was removed, I actually wouldn't use forums.

baxpack7
Jan 11th 2011, 12:42 AM

No worries dude. Everybody thinks that you're Dr. House.....

Clavicula_Nox
Jan 11th 2011, 01:30 AM

This. I would find my trolling activity to be absolutely unmanagable.

Athanasius
Jan 11th 2011, 01:45 AM

I wonder this some times...

This. I would find my trolling activity to be absolutely unmanagable.

I say a lot of controversial things (surprise, surprise). I don't want to have to deal with it should a future employer, co-worker, etc. find out.

Clavicula_Nox
Jan 11th 2011, 01:54 AM
I say a lot of controversial things (surprise, surprise). I don't want to have to deal with it should a future employer, co-worker, etc. find out.

Same.

154 characters.

A820djd
Jan 11th 2011, 03:55 AM
Is this similar to what South Korea enforces? Otherwise I enjoy the modicum of anonymity I actually do have.

Uhm I think you mean North Korea with Kim Jong Ill, he controls all media, and internet. It would be no different than that and when the Germans made people have papers..

Athanasius
Jan 11th 2011, 02:25 PM
Uhm I think you mean North Korea with Kim Jong Ill, he controls all media, and internet. It would be no different than that and when the Germans made people have papers..

I mean South Korea - there it is a requirement that you use your social insurance number when registering on forums.

RabbiKnife
Jan 11th 2011, 06:46 PM
My life is more than forums, and I have no friends on Facebook, so it the internet disappeared tomorrow, remarkably little in my life would change.

However, the federal government has absolutely no constitutional authority to regulate the internet, so good luck with that law. Plus, with this Congress? Please. That bill would never get out of committee in the House, although I'm sure Sen. Reid would make it a top priority based on "it would have stopped Rep. Giffords from being shot by Sarah Palin's agent."

Clavicula_Nox
Jan 11th 2011, 06:52 PM
The Internet ID is the Mark of the Beast.

Discuss.

RabbiKnife
Jan 11th 2011, 06:57 PM
That's as reasonable a theory as credit cards, Social Security numbers, infrared tattoos, RFID chip implants, income tax refund checks, driver's licenses, and passports...OH, an cell phone identifiers, computer ISPs, and security threads in $100 bills.

Firefighter
Jan 11th 2011, 07:02 PM
Last edited by RabbiKnife; Today at 01:48 PM. Reason: Continued brilliant pontification

:lol: :rofl: :lol: :rofl: :lol: :rofl: :lol: :rofl: :lol: :rofl:

Firefighter
Jan 11th 2011, 07:03 PM
That's as reasonable a theory as credit cards, Social Security numbers, infrared tattoos, RFID chip implants, income tax refund checks, driver's licenses, and passports...OH, an cell phone identifiers, computer ISPs, and security threads in $100 bills.

You forgot the CPU ID...

teddyv
Jan 11th 2011, 08:31 PM
The Internet ID is the Mark of the Beast.

Discuss.

What really is there to discuss? ;)

RevLogos
Jan 12th 2011, 12:35 AM

Harbinger of Math? Minkowski Space? A guy, definitely a guy. I've only met about 2 women interested in high end mathematics, and I dated both of them.

So unless you're my ex, got to be a guy.

And if you are my ex, well, I'm really really sorry about, well you know.

tango
Jan 12th 2011, 12:50 AM

They are also shockingly bad, in most cases, of actually verifying the information. If a site wants my date of birth and I see no reason for them to have it, I give a false date. I only give an address if it offers me a tangible benefit. It's not hard to do.

Cookies are easy to delete, all you have to do is configure your browser to only allow session cookies. Or use one of a few cookie managers that lets them stick around long enough for the site to register that you "accept cookies" and then deletes them.

If you are worried about your privacy, close your Facebook account, get a decent ad-blocker, be careful about sharing too much and start fragmenting your online identity. And most importantly, never give out real demographic information if you can help it.All good tips.

Pop quiz: how many of you know if I'm a girl or a boy? (Don't say if you know. ;))You're a boy. No, wait, a girl. Maybe a bit of both? No idea, but then I'm not the kind of person you're probably hiding from :)

Liquid Tension
Jan 16th 2011, 03:36 AM
:rofl:

OK, I had to use this in my sig.

Last edited by RabbiKnife; Jan 11th 2011 at 08:48 AM. Reason: Continued brilliant pontification

Bandit
Jan 16th 2011, 09:24 PM

Yes, and I prefer going door-to-door saying 'trick or treat' with my mask on.

Bandit
Jan 16th 2011, 09:29 PM

Actually, I thought he was nurse Chapel of Star Trek fame! :o

NHL Fever
Jan 16th 2011, 10:31 PM
I think the biggest threat would be identify theft and fraud. If you had only one universal ID, you would be really hooped if someone hacked it.