PDA

View Full Version : My Daily Bible Study - 2 Samuel (2)

Frances
Jan 14th 2011, 05:30 PM
2 Samuel 1+2

What does the text say – David was told that Saul and Jonathan were dead by an Amalekite who gave David Saul’s crown and bracelet, and claimed to have killed Saul at his own request. David had the man killed for killing the Lord’s anointed, then he wrote a lamentation for Saul and Jonathan to be taught to all the Israelites. David asked the Lord for Guidance, he was told to go to Hebron so he, his men and their families, went there. The men of Judah met David and anointed him their king. David wanted to bless the men of Jabesh Gilead for burying Saul and Jonathan, but Abner the Commander of Saul’s army declared Ishbosheth, Saul’s son, king over all the other Israelite tribes. After 2 years David’s army led by Joab, and Ishbosheth’s army led by Abner, met in battle. David’s troops won and chased the men commanded by Abner. Asahel, Joab’s brother ran after Abner, who tried to prevent having to kill him but Asahel continued to chase him, so Abner hit Asahel hard in the stomach with the blunt end of his spear, which killed him. Joab continued chasing Abner and his men until, from the top of a hill, Abner shouted at Joab asking how many more men must die, then Joab took his men back to Hebron.

Application – Do I always ask the Lord for His Guidance before taking any action? Even though the Lord has anointed me for a task it may be many years before the opportunity to start doing it. I may sometimes have to rely on others to fight on my behalf. Are battles I fight always with those opposing the Lord? Do I try to prevent injuring others who mean me harm? Could I ever feel obliged to destroy someone to save myself, and so compound my disloyalty to the Lord? Am I always wise enough to know when to stop and retire from the field of battle?

Frances
Jan 15th 2011, 05:09 PM
2 Samuel 3

What does the text say? – There was an on-going war between the people of Judah who were faithful to David and the other Israelite tribes who were faithful to Saul and Ishbosheth. During this time David’s 6 wives each had a son, and his position got stronger and Ishbosheth’s got weaker. Abner, leader of Ishbosheth’s army, slept with Rizpah Saul’s concubine and, accused of it by Ishbosheth, became so angry that he said he would give Saul’s kingdom to David. David refused to make a covenant with Abner unless his wife Mical came to him. David sent a message to Ishbosheth demanding that Mical was returned to him, so she was taken from Paltiel her husband who loved her, and taken to David. Abner consulted the leaders of each tribe in Israel, telling them it was time to make David their king. Abner then went to Hebron with 20 men and told David that all Israel and Benjamin had agreed to support him. David gave a feast for them then sent them away in peace. When Joab, and some of David’s troops returned from a raiding party laden with booty and was told of Abner’s visit, he went straight to David and accused Abner of being a spy, then without David knowing, sent messengers to bring Abner back. When Abner arrived Joab killed him in revenge for killing his brother Asahel. When David heard of Abner’s death he cursed Joab and his family, fasted and mourned and went to Abner’s funeral – so all the people of Judah and Israel knew David was not responsible for Abner’s murder.

Application - I may have to fight for a long time to take possession of all that the Lord has given me. If I have turned away from the Lord’s Will and then turn back to Him and be intent on putting that right, I may suffer at the hands of those who have remained faithful to Him. Do I make sure of all of the facts before jumping to, what may be, the wrong conclusion? Do I seek revenge for anything? If so I must carefully consider the Lord’s prayer and saying “Father forgive me as I forgive.”

Frances
Jan 16th 2011, 04:58 PM
2 Samuel 4+5

What does the text say – when Saul’s son Ishbosheth heard that Abner was dead he lost heart and all Israel was distressed. 2 captains in the army, Baanah and Richab, killed Ishbosheth as he slept, cut off his head and took it to David thinking he would be pleased with them; but instead he had them killed for killing Saul’s son. The leaders of the tribes of Israel went to David and made a covenant with him, and anointed him their king, then he reigned over the united kingdom for 33 years. David led his men to Jerusalem to fight against the Jebusites, the original inhabitants of the land (some of those who God had told the Israelite’s ancestors to destroy). David captured Zion, but the Jebusites mocked him saying the blind and the lame among them would stop David conquering them, but David and his men went into the city through the water tunnel and conquered it. David made the fortress his home, and called it the ‘City of David’. King Hiram of Tyre sent cedar wood, carpenters and stonemasons to David and they built his palace. David married more wives and had more concubines who, between them produced daughters and 11 sons. The Philistines spread out in the valley of Rephaim, David asked the Lord if he should fight them, and the Lord said ‘yes’, so David went and defeated the Philistines, acknowledging that the Lord had won the battle. Later when the Philistines returned David asked the Lord again what he must do, and the Lord told him to go round behind the Philistines, in front of the mulberry(poplar?)trees and when he heard the sound of an army marching in the tops of the mulberry trees to advance quickly. David did as the Lord commanded him, and the Lord went before David and drove the Philistines from Gibeon to Gezer.

Application – If I do what seems to facilitate the Lord’s Will thinking those who benefit will be pleased, they may make me suffer for my action. Do I follow the leader of the Lord’s choice for me? Does being mocked make me less, or more, determined to succeed? Do I always ask the Lord to Guide me even if the situation seems the same as when I’ve been in it before? Do I obey the Lord implicitly? Does the Lord overlook actions that stem from the culture I live in, or not?

Frances
Jan 17th 2011, 04:02 PM
2 Samuel 6

What does the text say – David took 30,000 men to fetch the Ark from Abinadab’s house and take it to Jerusalem. The Ark was put on a new ox cart, and played music on a variety of instruments. When they arrived at Nashon’s threshing floor the oxen stumbled, so Uzzah put out his hand to keep the Ark steady, so God struck him dead because of his irreverence (Numbers 4:15). Then David wouldn’t take the Ark into his city, instead he took it to the house of Obed-Edom the Gittite, where it remained for 3 months during which the Lord Blessed Obed-Edom and all his household. When David heard of this he went to fetch the Ark to the City of David, when those who had gone to fetch the Ark had gone 6 paces David sacrificed oxen and sheep to the Lord, then the whole company with the Ark blew trumpets and shouted and David danced; Mical, David’s wife, saw David leaping and whirling before the Lord and despised him. The Ark was put in the Tabernacle and David sacrificed burnt and peace offerings then blessed the people in the Name of the Lord of Hosts, then gave everyone there a loaf of bread, a piece of meat and a cake of raisins. As David went home Mical met him and passed scathing remarks about the indignity of his dancing, and David retorted that his desire was to be humble. Mical was childless all her life.

Application – Do I always remember that the God of the Old Testament, the God of the New Testament and the God I worship today are one and the same? Do I remember that He never changes, and that what angered Him then angers Him today? Do I always honour God in all I do? Am I truly humble – not in a ‘Uriah Heap’ sort of way, but by my obedience to, and honour of the Lord. Do those whose love of me has turned to active dislike pass scathing comments? If so, did I do something to earn their dislike? Do I let their reaction upset me, or consider good things instead? Do I deny myself possible future pleasure by saying hurtful things to those close to me?

Frances
Jan 18th 2011, 06:08 PM
2 Samuel 7

What does the text say – When David told Nathan, the prophet, he would like to build a house for the Ark of the Covenant Nathan told him to go ahead with the project. That night God told Nathan to tell David He had never asked anyone to build Him a house, He had always been with David and destroyed his enemies, and He would make David the head of a Royal dynasty. One of David’s sons would build the Lord a permanent house; he would be the Lord’s son and if he sinned the Lord would discipline him, but His Mercy would always be available to him, not taken away as it had been from Saul; David’s descendants and kingdom would always continue, and his throne would always be secure. When David heard all that the Lord had said to Nathan David gave thanks to God for all He had given him, a lowly shepherd, knowing what David was really like. David acknowledged that there is no greater God anywhere; no other god had redeemed a people from slavery to people and gods to become their God. David expressed his gratitude for the Promises the Lord had made regarding his descendants, and asked Him to Bless his family and enable them to serve Him forever.

Application – What I would like to do for the Lord may not be what He wants me to do for Him, so I must not rush ahead with projects, but always ask the Lord for Guidance and be willing not to do what I would like, nor be offended that He wants someone else is to do it. If I have agreed with someone else’s ‘good idea’ and then realise I was wrong, do I admit my failure? To admit an error of judgment is not a sign of weakness but of strength. Have I the strength of character to admit when I have been wrong? Do I always remember to thank the Lord for His many Blessings?

Frances
Jan 19th 2011, 05:00 PM
2 Samuel 8+9

What does the text say – David’s military victories resulted in his being paid tribute(taxes) by the nations he conquered, and in their becoming his servants. The Lord protected David in all the battles wherever he went, resulting in a large amount of gold, silver and bronze which he dedicated to the Lord, and he left garrisons in many places. David reigned over all Israel and administered justice and judgement to all his people. Joab commanded the army, Jehoshophat was the royal historian, Zadok and Ahimelech were priests, Seraiah was his secretary, Benaiah ruled over the Cherethites and Palethites, and David’s sons were chief ministers. Then David asked if any of Saul’s descendants were still living, as he wanted to show kindness to them for Jonathan’s sake. He was told of Jonathan’s son Mephibosheth who was lame in both feet; so David gave Mephibosheth all that had belonged to Saul, his grandfather, and told Ziba that he, and his family (he had 20 sons) must care for it all for Mephibosheth who would always eat at David’s table, like one of his own sons.

Application – I must remember that when David lived nations were always at war with their neighbours, and what I think is unnecessarily cruel was, in fact, necessary to keep long-term peace, and it was normal to kill all the descendants of a previous ruler; so David’s kindness to Mephibosheth was remarkable because it was unusual. If I am faithful to the Lord He will always protect me from adversaries.

Frances
Jan 20th 2011, 05:19 PM
2 Samuel 10

What does the text say? – David sent his condolences on the death of Nashan, king of Ammon, to his son Hannun. Thinking that David’s messengers were, in fact, spies Hannun shaved off half of each man’s beard and cut their robes off at their buttocks. When David heard of his men’s shame he told them to stay in Jericho until their beards had grown again. When the Ammonites realised how offensive their actions were to David they hired 23,000 Syrian troops; when David heard of this he sent Joab and his army against them, and they defeated the Ammonites and their Syrian allies. More Syrians joined those who had been defeated to fight against Israel, so David took his army to meet Hadadezer’s army and defeated them, killing the Syrian leader. Then the leader’s of the Syrian troops made peace with Israel and served them. Then the Syrians were afraid to help the Ammonites in war any more.

Application – Have my good intentions ever been misconstrued? How do I react to humiliation? Am I sensitive to other people’s shame and help them to overcome it? I may have to fight more than one battle against those who intend me harm. Am I wise enough to know when to stop fighting?

Frances
Jan 21st 2011, 03:30 PM
2 Samuel 11

What does the text say? – Kings normally went to war in the spring, so that was when David sent Joab and the army to Ammon, but David stayed in Jerusalem. One evening David was on the roof when he saw Bathsheba, the wife of Uriah the Hittite, having a bath. He sent for her and had intercourse with her. Bathsheba sent David a message to say she had conceived. David sent for Uriah, expecting him to go and sleep with his wife, but Uriah refused to while the Ark and army were in the field - even when David got him drunk, so he was sent back to Joab with a letter saying he must be placed where he was sure to be killed. Joab sent David a message, including that Joab was dead. When she heard her husband was dead Bathsheba mourned for him, then David married her, and she had a son. But God was not pleased.

Application – Have I ever desired an illicit relationship? Have I allowed that desire to become reality? If so, how have I dealt with the consequences? Have I been open and honest or have I tried to hide the consequences of my Sin? Have my actions caused others to suffer? If so, the Lord will be very displeased.

Note:- David’s adultery, even though God forgave him when he repented, opened the way to even worse sins among his own sons.

Frances
Jan 22nd 2011, 03:30 PM
2 Samuel 12

What does the text say? – The Lord sent Nathan the prophet to David to ensure he recognised his guilt. Nathan said that as he had taken Uriah’s wife and had him killed, now his own family would rebel against him and his wives would be openly taken by another man. When David confessed that his Sin had been against the Lord Nathan said the Lord Forgave him, but because David’s Sin had given the Lord’s enemies a reason to blaspheme, Bathsheba’s child would die. The child became ill, so David fasted and pleaded with the Lord for it’s life. On the 7th day the boy died. David washed, worshipped the Lord, then ate. In time Bathsheba bore David a son who they called Solomon, but the Lord sent word through Nathan that he should be called Jedidah – beloved of the Lord. Joab sent word to David that he had control of the water supply of Rabbah, the capital of Ammon, and that David must come to lead in the capture of the city, or Joab would receive the glory. David went and fought against Rabbah, conquered it, and took much plunder, including the crown of the king weighing 75pounds, and made the inhabitants work for him.

Application – Do I acknowledge my Sin against people as being Sin against the Lord? I will suffer the consequences of my Sin in some way; however if I repent He will Forgive me and Bless me in future. Do I ensure my leader gets the honour that is their right? Or do I try to ensure I am the one who gets the acclaim?

Frances
Jan 23rd 2011, 06:23 PM
2 Samuel 13

What does the text say? – Among David’s children were Absolem, his sister Tamar and their ½ brother Amnon. Amnon lusted after Tamar, and told Jonadab his cousin; Jonadab advised Amnon to pretend to be ill in bed, and ask his father to send Tamar to make him some cakes. Tamar went and baked Amnon some cakes, then he asked her to take them to him where he was in bed – which she did. Amnon asked her to lie with him, she refused, so he raped her. After raping Tamar Amnon hated her. Absolem found Tamar in tears, discovered why, and took her to his home. When David was told he was very angry. 3 years later Absolem gave a party for all his brothers, having told his servants to kill Amnon when he was drunk – which they did. Absolem’s brothers left hurriedly meeting David, Joab and some of the army on their way home. Absolem fled and lived in self-imposed exile in Gurshur. When David was reconciled to Amnon’s death he longed to be reunited to Absolem.

– Could I ever mistake lust for love? If so, it will inevitably turn to dislike if not worse. If my friend’s give unGodly advise I would be wise to ignore it, and maybe consider if I would be better off without those friends. Allowing dislike/hate to control my actions will inevitably ruin my life. Am I always willing to accept the blame for advise I give others, or do I ‘forget’ my part? If David had disciplined Amnon adequately, instead of just being angry, he may have saved Amnon’s life, and the resulting consequences of Absolem’s actions.

Frances
Jan 24th 2011, 06:11 PM
2 Samuel 14

What does the text say ?– Joab fetched a woman from Tekoa to tell David that one of her sons killed the other and her relatives wanted to take revenge and kill her remaining son, and she asked David to stop them. David agreed to act for her if any more threats were made. The woman then said David was acting like her relatives in refusing to let his son come home, and he risked the anger of God on his people. Then David agreed to let Absolem come home, but refused to see him. David asked if Joab had anything to do with the woman being there, and she agreed that he had. Joab went to Gershur to bring Absolem home to Jerusalem with his family, 3 sons and a daughter, Tamar. After Absolem had been in Jerusalem 2 years without seeing his father he sent for Joab, who didn’t go to him. The second time didn’t go when Absolem sent for him, Absolem sent his servants to burn Joab’s barley; then Joab went to see him. David then received Absolem, but by this time Absolem had become bitter and decided to take David’s crown.

Application – Do I try to gently encourage folk to see themselves as others see them? Have I ever said, or thought, that I would forgive someone but I didn’t have to have anything to do with them, without realising that I was not forgiving them at all? Have I become bitter because someone has not really forgiven me, which affects my life? Have I sought revenge by blackening their name?

Frances
Jan 25th 2011, 03:08 PM
2 Samuel 15+16

What does the text say?– Absolem made sure he met those going to David with complaints, treated them all as equals and acted as though he really cared about them – so the people all warmed towards him. After 4 years Absolem went to Hebron and sent men over all Israel to say that he would be king when the ram’s horn sounded in Hebron. Absolem had taken 200 leading citizens of Jerusalem to Hebron with him, but they thought they were just going to a sacrifice. Soon many others joined Absolem including Ahithophel, David’s advisor, and the conspiracy gained momentum. When David heard of this he prayed that Ahithophel’s advise to Absolem would be foolishness. Instead of fighting Absolem David left Jerusalem with his servants and 600 men, leaving only 10 concubines to care for his house. David’s friend Hushai, together with Zadock and Abiathar and their sons the priests, remained in Jerusalem as spies for David. Mephibosheth’s servant Ziba met David with provisions, saying they were his gift for David and that Mephibosheth welcomed Absolem as king. David believed Ziba, and gave him all that Mephibosheth owned. Then Shimei a relative of Saul who kept pace with them, but at a distance, kept cursing David. David wouldn’t let his men hurt Shimei as he thought God had allowed the cursing, and would bless him instead. David and the people with him rested when they reached the River Jordan. Meanwhile, Absolem had reached Jerusalem and taking advise from Ahithophel, Davids’ former advisor, slept publicly with David’s concubines.

Application – Do I ever do anything underhanded with ulterior motives? Have I ever run away from difficult problems while kidding myself it was to protect others? Do I trust the Lord to ensure I triumph in the end? Do I remain faithful to those I am associated with, or turn to others who seem to be more popular instead? Do I tell lies to gain an advantage? Am I willing to do the Lord’s Will whatever that may entail (eg. as a spy in the enemy camp)?

Frances
Jan 26th 2011, 04:37 PM
2 Samuel 17

What does the text say – Ahithophel, David’s former adviser, offered to take 12,000 men to attack David and his men while they were weak and weary – which was good advise. Absolem asked Hushai if he thought it was good advise so, as he was still faithful to David, he gave different advise including that Absolem should lead his men into battle himself. Hushai’s advise was accepted so he sent word of this to David. Athithophel went home and hanged himself. Ammaaz and Jonathan were seen on their way to David, and Absolem was told, but they hid in a well that a woman covered with grain, she told Absolem’s men they’d crossed the brook, so they were not discovered. When David heard what Absolem was going to do he, and his men, crossed the brook. Absolem gave the command of his troops to Joab’s cousin Amasa. Some Ammonites took David and his men some food.

Application – If I turn against a God-given leader it may well mean my destruction. It is possible to defeat good advise by telling the truth. Doing the Lord’s Will does not necessarily mean freedom from danger, so I must be alert at all times. If I am deposed and my post given to another it may be so that I am free to serve the Lord in another capacity. Help may come from an unexpected source.

Frances
Jan 27th 2011, 03:39 PM
2 Samuel 18

What does the text say? – David told his army leaders, in front of his men, to be gentle with Absolem. David’s army beat Absolem’s. Riding his mule under a tree while trying to escape from David’s men Absolem’s hair was caught in the branches, his mule kept going, leaving him hanging from the tree. When Joab was told of this he went and drove 3 spears into Absolem’s body, 10 young men ensured Absolem was dead, then his body was thrown into a pit. During his life Absolem had built a monument to himself in the Kidron valley, which is still there. When David heard of Absolem’s death he wept and mourned for his son.

Application – Do I always make wise decisions where those I love are concerned? Or am I guided by emotion instead? Could my emotional involvement with someone lead me away from the Lord and His Will? Do my friends act wisely in-spite of my wishes? Or are their actions contrary to my best interests?

Frances
Jan 28th 2011, 04:33 PM
2 Samuel 19

What does the text say ?– Joab and the people were who had fought with him were told David was weeping and mourning for Absolem so, even though they had won the victory they were almost ashamed of it. Then Joab went to the king and told him that if he didn’t go out and congratulate his men for what they had done for him they would all desert him, so David went and spoke to them. All the tribes of Israel except Judah decided to ask David to be their king again, so he sent Zadok and Abiathar the priests to the leaders of Judah, and to tell Amasa he would replace Joab as commander of the army, so Amasa persuaded the leaders of Judah to ask David to be their king. The people of Judah went to escort David and those with him across the Jordan, including Ziba and his sons and servants. Barzillai, who had provided David and those with him with food in Mananaim, went to escort David across the Jordan and the king wanted him to go with him, but Barzillai refused owing to his age, but sent his son Chimham in his place. David asked Mephibosheth why he hadn’t gone with him when he had to leave Jerusalem. Mephibosheth accused Ziba of slandering him by saying he wanted Absolem to be king, and said Ziba could keep the property that rightfully belonged to Mephibosheth.

Application - Do I show gratitude to those to whom it is due? Do I confine my grief to when I am alone, to prevent driving those loyal to me away? When I am proved wrong do I admit it, or let wounds I have inflicted fester? Do I forgive those who have cursed me publicly when they repent? Am I willing to give up what is mine by right when I receive other blessings? When my advise is taken do I feel slighted when others take the credit? I would do well to regard such things as part of life and not try to get the credit due to me.

Frances
Jan 29th 2011, 03:55 PM
2 Samuel 20

What does the text say? – Sheba, a Benjaminite, persuaded the Israelites to desert David, but the men of Judah stayed with David their king and escorted him back to Jerusalem. David never again slept with any of the concubines Absolem had defiled, though he provided for them. David told Amasa to have the men of Judah assembled in 3 days, but in 3 days they weren’t assembled, so David told Abishai to take his bodyguard also Joab and all his mighty warriors and go after Sheba. Amasa and the men with him met Joab at Gibeon. Pretending friendship Joab killed Amasa his cousin, then all the men followed Joab. Meanwhile Sheba had gone to Abel-beth-Maasah with the men of his own clan, ready for battle. When Joab and David’s army arrived they made a siege mound against the city wall. A wise woman called for Joab and told him he didn’t need to destroy the city as they would give him Sheba’s head. When Sheba’s head was thrown down to him Joab returned to Jerusalem and the men with him went home. David appointed Joab commander of his army; Benaiah, captain of his body-guard; Adoniram, to lead the labour force; Jehoshophat, to be the royal historian; Sheva, to be court secretary; Zadok and Abiathar, to lead the priests; and Ira to be David’s personal priest.

Application – There may be unwelcome repercussions if, because of my emotional pain, I turn against someone who has served me well. Rebelling against Godly rulers will do me no good. Am I peaceable and faithful to the Lord?

Frances
Jan 30th 2011, 04:12 PM
2 Samuel 21

What does the text say ? – there was a famine for 3 consecutive years that the Lord said was because Saul had, over-zealously, killed the Gibeonites who the children of Israel had sworn to protect(Josh 9:3+14-20), so David asked the Gibeonites what he could do to make atonement for Saul’s action. They asked for 7 of Saul’s descendants to hang at Gibeah of Saul. David spared Jonathans’s son Mephibosheth, and sent them Saul’s 2 son’s by his concubine Rizpah, and the 5 sons of Saul’s daughter Merab, they were all executed together at the start of the barley harvest. Rizpah stayed at that place until the latter rains preventing scavenging birds and wild animals from touching the bodies. When David was told what Rizpah had done he took the bones of Saul and Jonathan from Jabesh-gilead and the bones of those the Gibeonites had executed to the tomb of Saul’s father Kish in Zela. After that God ended the famine. When the Philistines were again at war with David, he was in the thick of the battle exhausted and cornered by a descendant of the giants who was about to kill him when Abishai killed the Philistine. David’s men insisted that he must not go out to battle any more, in case he was killed and all Israel suffer. In subsequent battles 3 more of the giant of Gath’s descendants were killed.

Application – When I meet constant extreme difficulties do I ask the Lord why? Do I heed His answer and take whatever action is necessary to redeem the situation, however repugnant that may be to me? Do I protect the reputation of those who have suffered through no fault of their own? Leaders who have proved their ability, don’t always need to be in the thick of the battle. Does God require me to make restitution for something one of my ancestors did? If so, in what way?

Frances
Jan 31st 2011, 05:03 PM
2 Samuel 22 (Ps.18)

What does the text say ?– David proclaimed a song glorifying the Lord who had answered his prayers, and saved him from Saul who was too strong for David alone. David said the Lord had rewarded him because he had put his faith in Him(Gen.15:6) and obeyed Him. The Lord acts towards people in the way they act towards Him, He rescues those who trust in Him and do His Will, knowing His Ways are perfect. The Lord is immovable and gives His Strength and Power to those who trust Him, giving them ability to climb to the peaks of achievement they would not otherwise have. Salvation is a shield the Lord gives to those who obey Him, together with the ability to follow Him and sufficient for their needs. Because the Lord had given David strength to win the battle he had persevered and become the victor over the nations. David knew the Lord is Alive, He is the Rock and He will be exalted because He delivered him from his enemies, and is a tower of strength to the king and shows him, and his descendants, His Mercy.

Application – Do I trust the Lord to protect me when I obey Him? Do I pray for my needs and thank the Lord for His provision for me? Do I persevere in battles knowing the Lord will ensure victory in the end? Am I sufficiently grateful to the Lord for each Blessing He gives in the battles of my life? Am I fully aware that my faith in the Lord precedes the Salvation He gives? The Lord gives me strength for each battle, so am I persevering with battles against all kinds of evil? Do I really believe the Lord is Alive? Does my life exalt Him? Do I thank Him sufficiently for all He does for me? Do I recognise His great Mercy, or take it for granted? Do I really believe the Father of the Lord Jesus Christ is the only God?

Frances
Feb 1st 2011, 06:35 PM
2 Samuel 23+24

What does the text say – David said he was anointed by the God of Jacob to be the king and psalmist of Israel and that the Spirit of the Lord, the Rock of Israel, spoke through him, and he ruled righteously because he feared/respected God who made a covenant with him which ensured his safety and success. The ungodly are like thorns to be destroyed. David named 37 of his elite warriors, including 2 groups of 3 who had shown special bravery. David took a census of Israel and Judah, Joab questioned this but David insisted so he, and the army captains, went to count the people, arriving back at Jerusalem 9 months and 20 days later, to tell the king there were 800, 000 fighting men in Israel and 500,000 in Judah. David confessed counting the people as Sin against the Lord. The Lord told Gad, a prophet, to tell David he had a choice between 3 years of famine, 3 years of fleeing from his enemies or 3 days of plague in the land. David chose the plague trusting in God’s Mercy. From Dan to Beersheba 70,000 people died. When the angel of the Lord was by the threshing floor of Arunah the Jebusite, about to enter Jerusalem, the Lord stopped the plague. God told David to erect an altar to Him at that place. David bought the threshing floor and oxen for the Burnt and Peace sacrifices from Arunah for 50 shekels of silver. Then the plague stopped.

Application – Does the Holy spirit speak to, and through, me? Only 37 elite fighting men were named but 1,300,000 fought, and supported the elite; although my name is very unlikely to be remembered I, too, must fight and support the noteworthy members of the Lord’s army. My leaders may make mistakes, that mean I will suffer, because of their pride. If I know my leader is wrong will I refuse to carry out their orders and be ‘killed’ or do what I know is wrong? If I Sin against the Lord many innocent people may suffer needlessly. Do I trust in the Lord’s Mercy? I must expect my submission to the Lord to cost me what I am able, but unwilling, to pay.

Quote:- (Henry H. Halley) “It is difficult to see wherein was the sin of taking a national census . . . perhaps in this case it indicated that David, who had so consistently relied implicitly on God was beginning to slip, in a tendency to rely on the greatness of his kingdom. The census showed . . . a total population of, probably, about 6 – 8 million. . . Where David built the altar, there Solomon built the Temple (2 Chron. 3:1).”