PDA

View Full Version : Spirit Willing, Flesh Weak

VerticalReality
Jan 16th 2011, 12:51 AM
We all know the passage. What could the disciples have done differently in order to overcome the flesh? Why couldn't they stay up to pray?

Likewise, how do we overcome the flesh as well?

Many like to give answers like "you need to pray" or "you need to be in the word of God" when asked how to overcome the flesh. However, the disciples show that this wasn't the answer for them. They couldn't pray.

So, what is the answer?

Doge
Jan 16th 2011, 05:37 PM
Coffee .........http://images.teamsugar.com/modules/smileys/examples/hysterical.gif

RogerW
Jan 16th 2011, 06:15 PM
We all know the passage. What could the disciples have done differently in order to overcome the flesh? Why couldn't they stay up to pray?

Many like to give answers like "you need to pray" or "you need to be in the word of God" when asked how to overcome the flesh. However, the disciples show that this wasn't the answer for them. They couldn't pray.

So, what is the answer?

I believe the answer is obey! We know through the Spirit in us when we are not in obedience to the Word of God, but knowing is only the beginning. For instance we recognize an attitude of lacking love for another Christian. So the minute we observe this lack of love in our hearts, we obey God by putting on the gift of love. It's as simple (not so easy) as that...stop lacking love and start to love. How do we put on love for someone we really dislike? By being kind, thoughtful, and considerate, when we would rather ignore or walk away from them. Also we do indeed pray for them. It's hard to keep hating someone you are praying good things for. It's so simple, yet so hard to simply obey, but when we obey from a true heart we are walking in the spirit by faith, and denying our fleshly desire to hold on to our grudge or keep on hating.

Ta-An
Jan 16th 2011, 06:29 PM

So, what is the answer?

VR are you referring to overcoming the flesh in general, or like for the disciples, to stay awake to pray..:hmm:

VerticalReality
Jan 16th 2011, 06:36 PM
I believe the answer is obey! We know through the Spirit in us when we are not in obedience to the Word of God, but knowing is only the beginning. For instance we recognize an attitude of lacking love for another Christian. So the minute we observe this lack of love in our hearts, we obey God by putting on the gift of love. It's as simple (not so easy) as that...stop lacking love and start to love. How do we put on love for someone we really dislike? By being kind, thoughtful, and considerate, when we would rather ignore or walk away from them. Also we do indeed pray for them. It's hard to keep hating someone you are praying good things for. It's so simple, yet so hard to simply obey, but when we obey from a true heart we are walking in the spirit by faith, and denying our fleshly desire to hold on to our grude or keep on hating.

I would say Jesus addresses your statement. The spirit is willing to obey. The flesh isn't. It wasn't like the disciples' spirit didn't want to obey. Yet, they were still not able to overcome what the flesh wanted to do.

VerticalReality
Jan 16th 2011, 06:37 PM
VR are you referring to overcoming the flesh in general, or like for the disciples, to stay awake to pray..:hmm:

Both I guess. Jesus insinuates that the reason the disciples couldn't stay awake and pray was because of the flesh.

dagar
Jan 16th 2011, 07:37 PM
Not that they couldn't, but that they didn't. Why? Not because they did not pray, but because they did not 'watch'. Watch is the key word here.

Ta-An
Jan 16th 2011, 07:43 PM
Both I guess. Jesus insinuates that the reason the disciples couldn't stay awake and pray was because of the flesh.

Galatians 5:17 says that the Spirit and the flesh are contrary to one another ... and the most important thing is to acknowledge that...as in know your enemy :D so that you do not make provision for the (flesh) enemy

Once you have determined what the weakness of the flesh is, it is easier to prepare for battle... by that I mean, you need to wear the correct armor for the battle.... you find truths in the Bible to combat weakness of the flesh.... and when the spirit is inline with the Scripture, the flesh has to follow
eg. meditating on scripture already helps you to walk by the Spirit...

Thus find a scripture to combat a specific act of the flesh,
eg.
The Spirit and the flesh are contrary to one another Versus : Rom8:14...be led by the Spirit

When 2 dogs are fighting, which dog will win, the stronger one.... why is one dog stronger than the other one,,, because you feed it...

Feed the spirit, walk in fellowship with God, wear the armor of God.... practice makes perfect.... and you can not do it alone... you need to walk with God. Romans 8 26-27.....Therefor, find a scripture for each weakness of the flesh to fight it with :D

Also, for me.... I used to overspend on buying food,,,, I was buying food and then it went to waste in the fridge because I was just buying without having a plan on how I was to use it.... I love food and was buying because I know how it tastes,,,,,, I'd buy a whole watermelon, and only I eat of it.... now I rather buy a 1/4 watermelon, at a higher price per kg, but nothing goes to waste Now, I plan my menu, and buy according to the menu.... no food goes to waste....

Know the pitfall of the flesh, and wear the correct armor for combat :)

BroRog
Jan 16th 2011, 08:16 PM
We all know the passage. What could the disciples have done differently in order to overcome the flesh?Paul has coined the term "flesh" to communicate his thoughts concerning our identity. Jesus is not using the term "flesh" in this way. He simply means that the disciples got tired and couldn't stay awake.

Why couldn't they stay up to pray?Unlike Jesus, the disciples didn't realize the danger. Not only were the authorities on their way to arrest them, their faith was going to be tested to a great degree. Had they known this, perhaps they would have been able to stay awake.

Likewise, how do we overcome the flesh as well?Find the truth in every situation and circumstance. The truth will set you free.