PDA

View Full Version : More than one wife?

fees
Jan 18th 2011, 11:00 AM
Just wondering about the subject when you get someone to be bornagain but he has more than one wife what must be done?

Tonton
Jan 18th 2011, 12:47 PM
Very interesting question...

My impulsive response is that he keeps all of them, and treats them as equals?

Could get tricky if some of them also turn to Jesus.

Anton

notuptome
Jan 18th 2011, 02:03 PM
This is not much of a problem in the West unless you consider divorce and remarriage. I would say that if a man has multiple wives he is disqualified from the ministry. I would not think that it would be wise for a man who is saved to marry more than one wife if he currently has only one. Cultural considerations would doubtless complicate any attempts to unwind multiple marriage households.

For the cause of Christ
Roger

Reynolds357
Jan 18th 2011, 03:33 PM
Just wondering about the subject when you get someone to be bornagain but he has more than one wife what must be done?

I do not see a theological problem with polygamy as long as it is legal in that jurisdiction.

RabbiKnife
Jan 18th 2011, 03:35 PM
I think Paul was pretty clear that his advice was "if you become a Christian, stay in the same marital situation that you are in, unless you are unmarried, and if you want to get married, OK, just marry a believer."

I think that pretty much sums up Paul's teaching on the subject.

fees
Jan 18th 2011, 03:45 PM
I think Paul was pretty clear that his advice was "if you become a Christian, stay in the same marital situation that you are in, unless you are unmarried, and if you want to get married, OK, just marry a believer."

Are you speaking about 1Kor. 7? So a man whom had two wives must try and stay with the two after being converted.

RabbiKnife
Jan 18th 2011, 04:27 PM
Are you speaking about 1Kor. 7? So a man whom had two wives must try and stay with the two after being converted.

There is nothing in Paul's teaching to suggest otherwise.

keck553
Jan 18th 2011, 04:32 PM
It seems to me if one is born from above, that hardened-heart issue should not be an issue. As Jesus said, this was not God's intent from the beginning, although hardened hearts made a way for it, so Moses allowed it. God does not lie or fail in His Word. If God says He's changed us, turned our hearts of stone to flesh, then the fruit of our actions will testify to His promise fulfilled. Therefore in Jesus, there is no excuse for a hardened heart attitude. If our fruit stinks, then we have issues. Serious issues.

So perhaps that person should go to his first love. God.

Reynolds357
Jan 18th 2011, 04:36 PM

What in scripture tells us polygamy is wrong ore even suggests it is?
The reason you hear leadership in scripture being limited to one wife is because of responsibility vs. time constraints. Paul actually tells us that NO wife is best.

Reynolds357
Jan 18th 2011, 04:38 PM
It seems to me if one is born from above, that hardened-heart issue should not be an issue. As Jesus said, this was not God's intent from the beginning, although hardened hearts made a way for it, so Moses allowed it. God does not lie or fail in His Word. If God says He's changed us, turned our hearts of stone to flesh, then the fruit of our actions will testify to His promise fulfilled. Therefore in Jesus, there is no excuse for a hardened heart attitude. If our fruit stinks, then we have issues. Serious issues.

So perhaps that person should go to his first love. God.

So you are contending that if an unsaved person with 7 wives becomes born again, they should then divorce 6 of the wives?

keck553
Jan 18th 2011, 04:59 PM
So you are contending that if an unsaved person with 7 wives becomes born again, they should then divorce 6 of the wives?

I am contending nothing. What did Jesus say about 6 wives?

percho
Jan 18th 2011, 05:34 PM
Jesus answered this specific question.

The Mighty Sword
Jan 18th 2011, 05:36 PM
I consider myself to have "more than one wife" sometimes my wife has a "split personality":lol:

keck553
Jan 18th 2011, 05:45 PM
I consider myself to have "more than one wife" sometimes my wife has a "split personality":lol:

LOL!! No wonder Paul instructs us to pay attention!

Reynolds357
Jan 18th 2011, 06:53 PM
I am contending nothing. What did Jesus say about 6 wives?

I have no idea. What did Jesus say about Fords and Winchesters?

keck553
Jan 18th 2011, 07:12 PM
I have no idea. What did Jesus say about Fords and Winchesters?

Well experience teaches me that fords will break down while you're taking your winchester to a fight. But that is not a Biblical principal taught by God.

Matthew 19 is. But perhaps not for all. For the truth is written in Isaiah 6:9-10....

fees
Jan 18th 2011, 09:37 PM

1Co 7:10 Now to the married I command, yet not I but the Lord: A wife is not to depart from her husband.
1Co 7:11 But even if she does depart, let her remain unmarried or be reconciled to her husband. And a husband is not to divorce his wife.
1Co 7:12 But to the rest I, not the Lord, say: If any brother has a wife who does not believe, and she is willing to live with him, let him not divorce her.
1Co 7:13 And a woman who has a husband who does not believe, if he is willing to live with her, let her not divorce him.
1Co 7:14 For the unbelieving husband is sanctified by the wife, and the unbelieving wife is sanctified by the husband; otherwise your children would be unclean, but now they are holy.
1Co 7:15 But if the unbeliever departs, let him depart; a brother or a sister is not under bondage in such cases. But God has called us to peace.
1Co 7:16 For how do you know, O wife, whether you will save your husband? Or how do you know, O husband, whether you will save your wife?
1Co 7:17 But as God has distributed to each one, as the Lord has called each one, so let him walk. And so I ordain in all the churches.
1Co 7:18 Was anyone called while circumcised? Let him not become uncircumcised. Was anyone called while uncircumcised? Let him not be circumcised.
1Co 7:19 Circumcision is nothing and uncircumcision is nothing, but keeping the commandments of God is what matters.
1Co 7:20 Let each one remain in the same calling in which he was called.
1Co 7:21 Were you called while a slave? Do not be concerned about it; but if you can be made free, rather use it.
1Co 7:22 For he who is called in the Lord while a slave is the Lord's freedman. Likewise he who is called while free is Christ's slave.
1Co 7:23 You were bought at a price; do not become slaves of men.
1Co 7:24 Brethren, let each one remain with God in that state in which he was called.

Is he speaking about wives or a wive? This situation seems like a single husband and wive.
Paul lists a few option states in which we can remain(Married, Un\Circumsiced, Slave) But we have to decide what the others should be? For a thief/harlot etc. cannot remain in the state they were?
What if he wants to be a deacon\bishop but has more than one wive?
Tit 1:5 For this reason I left you in Crete, that you should set in order the things that are lacking, and appoint elders in every city as I commanded you--
Tit 1:6 if a man is blameless, the husband of one wife, having faithful children not accused of dissipation or insubordination.
1Ti 3:12 Let deacons be the husbands of one wife, ruling their children and their own houses well.
What about the poor widow who's had more than one husband now she cannot be blessed by the church providing for her.
1Ti 5:9 Do not let a widow under sixty years old be taken into the number, and not unless she has been the wife of one man,

Diggindeeper
Jan 18th 2011, 09:58 PM
If God had intended many wives (or many husbands, for that matter!) he would not have made just ONE wife for Adam.

How come its always the "many wives" thing and never do I hear of multiple husbands'?????

fees
Jan 18th 2011, 10:05 PM
If God had intended many wives (or many husbands, for that matter!) he would not have made just ONE wife for Adam.

How come its always the "many wives" thing and never do I hear of multiple husbands'?????

I agree with one wife/husband story.
Mal 2:15 And did not he make one(One Wife(Adam\Eve))? Yet had he the residue of the spirit(He could make more than one wife but he didnt. There was enough spirit for thousands of Eve's.). And wherefore one? That he might seek a godly seed. Therefore take heed to your spirit, and let none deal treacherously against the wife of his youth.

keck553
Jan 18th 2011, 10:20 PM
A heart of flesh will seek rightouesness.
A heart of stone will seek justification.

percho
Jan 19th 2011, 02:46 AM
Jesus answered this question in Luke 20:34-36. If being a son of God means you are born of God then verse 36 says sons that is those born of God are sons because they are sons that is born of the resurrection.
Born again. In verse 35 he says these sons born of the resurrection do not marry.

RabbiKnife
Jan 19th 2011, 04:32 PM
Paul said that if you are married, remain married. He does not address whether you are married to one wife or to multiple wives at the time. He just said, "Whatever marital state you are in, stay there."

Unless you believe that being righteous means breaking vows and throwing women and children on the street.

Scripture is otherwise remarkably silent on the issue, mostly because very few places practiced polygamy at that point in history.

Liquid Tension
Jan 19th 2011, 06:39 PM
I was married once before.....how anyone would want more than one wife is beyond me. :D

<quietly tip-toeing out of rooom>

Reynolds357
Jan 19th 2011, 07:07 PM
I was married once before.....how anyone would want more than one wife is beyond me. :D

Yeah, know what you mean there.

Proverbs 21:9 (King James Version)

9It is better to dwell in a corner of the housetop, than with a brawling woman in a wide house.

fees
Jan 19th 2011, 07:15 PM
So it seems so far the husband must remain with his wives. So before conversion marry as most wives as possible. No other scriptures than 1 Kor. 7 so far?

RabbiKnife
Jan 19th 2011, 07:17 PM
So it seems so far the husband must remain with his wives. So before conversion marry as most wives as possible. No other scriptures than 1 Kor. 7 so far?

Scripture is remarkably silent on the specific point.

fees
Jan 19th 2011, 07:43 PM
Thanks for your input. Been wondering about this. Could not find anything. Scripture does not voice about this subj. allot.

Reynolds357
Jan 19th 2011, 08:03 PM
Thanks for your input. Been wondering about this. Could not find anything. Scripture does not voice about this subj. allot.

Scripture indirectly deals with it. King David was a "man after God's own heart," and he had many wives.

jayne
Jan 19th 2011, 08:49 PM
Scripture indirectly deals with it. King David was a "man after God's own heart," and he had many wives.

But King David was a man after God's own heart not because of, but in spite of the fact that he had many wives. His being a man after God's own heart and having multiple wives have no correlation. And he was also that same man after God's own heart in spite of the fact that he was a terrible father and a murderer.

The Mighty Sword
Jan 19th 2011, 08:59 PM

Hence the phrase "Suicidal Tendencies" :P