PDA

View Full Version : Is it Time For Jesus To Go Back To School?

Dravenhawk
Jan 20th 2011, 03:49 AM
Recently in the news there has been two accounts of kids bringing guns to school and shooting up the place. The gun accidently went off when the student set his backback down and in another a kid robbing items from cars in the parking lot shot some people with an automatic weapon. Seems like hardly a week goes by without some angry half crazed troubled kid is on the news having shot up his classmates. As liberal entities such as the ACLU have stomped the essence of Jesus Christ out of the classroom the death toll mounts up in increasing numbers of the dead and wounded. It is hardly news worthy to hear of another school shooting. I wonder what would be the outcome if they had morning prayers, said grace before snack / lunch, Christian Bible studies, and the 10 commandments posted for all to see. Might be worthy of some of those stimulus bux to take a hardened inner city school and salt it well with the teachings of Gods Word and see what happens. Maybe its time for Jesus to go back to School.

Dravenhawk

BrckBrln
Jan 20th 2011, 04:47 AM
I don't understand this reasoning. Do you think that because a school says morning prayers that everybody will act as good Christians? Jesus doesn't need to be in the schools, but in the lives of the students. And that starts at home, not school.

Oh, and another thing about school prayer. If it were instituted, there would be a lot of schools where most teachers and students aren't Christians. So what do you do? Fire the non-Christians and hire only Christians? Or would you want your kids to be led into prayer by somebody who's not even a believer? How could that possibly be good?

decrumpit
Jan 20th 2011, 05:03 AM
America is only 5% of the world.

For the vast majority of people on earth, gun attacks in school are not a problem. Heck, for nearly all Americans gun attacks aren't a problem. Why can't we look at people like this student and Jared Laughner and just say the obvious - they are insane, idiotic, and mentally deranged. No amount of gun control, rote prayer, or postings of the ten commandments can change these folks if they don't have Jesus in their lives.

Jesus doesn't need to be in the schools, but in the lives of the students. And that starts at home, not school.

Best thought so far!

Fenris
Jan 20th 2011, 01:02 PM
Maybe its time for Jesus to go back to School.

What happens to non-Christians in school?

RabbiKnife
Jan 20th 2011, 01:59 PM
What happens to non-Christians in school?

They can ignore all the vain repetition of forumlaic prayers like all the Christian kids.

Fenris
Jan 20th 2011, 02:04 PM
They can ignore all the vain repetition of forumlaic prayers like all the Christian kids.

Yes, there is always that...

RevLogos
Jan 20th 2011, 02:15 PM
I have to run to work so I'll be very brief. This is not about prayer in school or posting the Ten Commandants. This is about a worldview that says we are all children of God, created by God with a purpose, in God's image. This is being systematically replaced by a worldview that says we are all children of goo, without purpose, meaning or hope. Where all thoughts and feelings are nothing more than chemical processes in the brain. You cannot teach love and respect and compassion when the people around you are nothing more than bags of chemicals and water.

Fenris
Jan 20th 2011, 02:27 PM
I have to run to work so I'll be very brief. This is not about prayer in school or posting the Ten Commandants. This is about a worldview that says we are all children of God, created by God with a purpose, in God's image. This is being systematically replaced by a worldview that says we are all children of goo, without purpose, meaning or hope. Where all thoughts and feelings are nothing more than chemical processes in the brain. You cannot teach love and respect and compassion when the people around you are nothing more than bags of chemicals and water.
Good points, and no argument. But this is a free country, and if one wishes to believe that all we are is "bags of goo", they are free to do that. And it's not the place of state-run schools funded by taxpayer money to impose religious views on students.

Athanasius
Jan 20th 2011, 02:59 PM
What are the school shooting statistics of Scandinavian countries?

Fenris
Jan 20th 2011, 03:02 PM
What are the school shooting statistics of Scandinavian countries?
Not sure what the point is, especially given that those countries have much stricter gun-control laws.

Athanasius
Jan 20th 2011, 03:48 PM
Not sure what the point is, especially given that those countries have much stricter gun-control laws.

Scandinavian countries are far more secular than the states. If the OP is correct, there should be an enormous amount of school violence. I suspect that there isn't.

Fenris
Jan 20th 2011, 03:56 PM
Scandinavian countries are far more secular than the states. If the OP is correct, there should be an enormous amount of school violence. I suspect that there isn't.

Hmm. True. Then again, they have less violent crime in general. Perhaps because (at least until recently) they were much more homogenous societies than we are.

RabbiKnife
Jan 20th 2011, 04:06 PM
And, more vodka and saunas. Just wonderin'...

Fenris
Jan 20th 2011, 04:26 PM
How about the wacky weed? I understand that has a mellowing effect.

RabbiKnife
Jan 20th 2011, 04:42 PM
How about the wacky weed? I understand that has a mellowing effect.

I have no recollection of that, Senator.

Firefighter
Jan 20th 2011, 04:48 PM
I do, but I didn't inhale. :lol:

Fenris
Jan 20th 2011, 04:52 PM
I do, but I didn't inhale. :lol:

Yeah but as a firefighter you're used to encountering smoke and not inhaling.

notuptome
Jan 20th 2011, 05:39 PM
Well it is said that nature abhors a vacuume. What fills the hearts and minds of our youth could do with some filtering. Sex, drugs and rock and roll just ain't cutting it. We can teach our youth to worship the environment but not about the creator of the universe. We can teach our children of tolerance for perverted lifestyles but of traditional family values. We can teach our children about social justice but not a just and holy God. In fact we can teach everything except Christianity.

Of course it would be wrong to hire Christian teachers at the expense of sodomites, communists and atheists. The performance of our very expensive educational system is inferior to just about the rest of the world but hey it's only because we don't spend enough on it. More money can always fix a fatally flawed system.

For the cause of Christ
Roger

teddyv
Jan 20th 2011, 06:27 PM
Of course it would be wrong to hire Christian teachers at the expense of sodomites, communists and atheists. The performance of our very expensive educational system is inferior to just about the rest of the world but hey it's only because we don't spend enough on it. More money can always fix a fatally flawed system.

For the cause of Christ
RogerI did not know people put such classifications on the resumes.

Fenris
Jan 20th 2011, 06:38 PM
I did not know people put such classifications on the resumes.

Mine says "heathen" in big letters across the top. You should put "Hypnotoad" on yours. It's all the rage right now.

teddyv
Jan 20th 2011, 06:41 PM
Mine says "heathen" in big letters across the top. You should put "Hypnotoad" on yours. It's all the rage right now.

Hmm. That ought to get me any job I like.

Athanasius
Jan 20th 2011, 06:46 PM

How odd... Mine has "RAGING CHRISTIAN LUNATIC" at top center.

Fenris
Jan 20th 2011, 06:52 PM
Hmm. That ought to get me any job I like.
Only if you use your hyponotoad powers.

Fenris
Jan 20th 2011, 06:54 PM

Well you can't get a job in the education system...

teddyv
Jan 20th 2011, 06:54 PM
I'd hire you just for that.

Only if you use your hyponotoad powers.
Power corrupts.

Athanasius
Jan 20th 2011, 07:53 PM
Well you can't get a job in the education system...

Oh, for those jobs I leave that part out. What I replace it with is better! Instead of telling a prospective employer about myself, I use a lot of 'feeling' language (e.g. "I feel that..."). I also give a brief summary of other peoples views of me - making sure that they are all contradictory, while pointing out that they are equally valid and valuable. I then describe how I feel I'm best qualified - not for the particular job, only that I feel I'm qualified. Essentially, I turn my educational experience (being educated), and turn that into a resume of how I would educate others.

(Sounds pathetic, because it is... And because I'm paying so much for it.)

Fenris
Jan 20th 2011, 08:25 PM
(Sounds pathetic, because it is... And because I'm paying so much for it.)
It sounds like so much WIN!

notuptome
Jan 20th 2011, 09:11 PM
If you want to have fun sometime just ask a politician to define education.

We lack sufficient funding for basic studies in math and science because the sports programs have been expanded. Our elementary school was recently remodeled to accomodate a weight room for the K-6 grades. Millions spent by government mandate unfunded of course so elementary age kids can have a weight room to bulk up. HGH in the milk?

For the cause of Christ
Roger

teddyv
Jan 20th 2011, 09:17 PM
We lack sufficient funding for basic studies in math and science because the sports programs have been expanded. Our elementary school was recently remodeled to accomodate a weight room for the K-6 grades. Millions spent by government mandate unfunded of course so elementary age kids can have a weight room to bulk up. HGH in the milk?

For the cause of Christ
RogerPerhaps interestingly, the public education system up this way is the opposite, with cuts typically being applied to physical education and arts.

Vhayes
Jan 20th 2011, 09:25 PM
Perhaps interestingly, the public education system up this way is the opposite, with cuts typically being applied to physical education and arts.

The same where I am. The band in the high school down the street had to buy their own uniforms this past year. While there is a beautiful gym and a natatorium in the school, the athletic teams are being forced to pay for many of the things that were formerly taken for granted.

Athanasius
Jan 20th 2011, 09:53 PM
It sounds like so much WIN!

Hey, what else could it be?! They're educating thousands this way!

TomH
Jan 21st 2011, 03:28 PM
We should put more money in sports programs.

Football commentator and former player Joe Theismann:
"Nobody in football should be called a genius. A genius is a guy like
Norman Einstein."

RabbiKnife
Jan 21st 2011, 05:33 PM
Norman's brother, Albert, was a dumbkopf.