PDA

View Full Version : looking for a verse:

karenoka27
Jan 25th 2011, 01:12 PM
I believe I read somewhere in Exodus where the people asked that the Lord not come in their presence, therefore God called Moses and Aaron and the priests, but only Moses could come before Him.
Am I making this up or did the people ask that the Lord not come in their presence?

Slug1
Jan 25th 2011, 01:18 PM
I believe I read somewhere in Exodus where the people asked that the Lord not come in their presence, therefore God called Moses and Aaron and the priests, but only Moses could come before Him.
Am I making this up or did the people ask that the Lord not come in their presence?It's more like they feared His presence because of their sinful hearts?:

Exodus 20:18 Now all the people witnessed the thunderings, the lightning flashes, the sound of the trumpet, and the mountain smoking; and when the people saw it, they trembled and stood afar off. 19 Then they said to Moses, “You speak with us, and we will hear; but let not God speak with us, lest we die.” 20 And Moses said to the people, “Do not fear; for God has come to test you, and that His fear may be before you, so that you may not sin.” 21 So the people stood afar off, but Moses drew near the thick darkness where God was.

karenoka27
Jan 25th 2011, 01:24 PM
Thank you!!! Yes. That is the exact verse I was looking for.
I'm reading through the Bible with a group of people on FB and we are in Exodus. I had a thought on this that I wanted to share. I'll ask you all here as well.
The people suggested that God speak to Moses and Moses tell them because of the fear they had in His presence... do you think people today don't get close to God for the same reason? I mean Christians? It seems that we all have the opportunity to get very close but some of us stand "afar off."
This has been on my heart so much lately.

Slug1
Jan 25th 2011, 01:35 PM
I'm reading through the Bible with a group of people on FB and we are in Exodus. I had a thought on this that I wanted to share. I'll ask you all here as well.
The people suggested that God speak to Moses and Moses tell them because of the fear they had in His presence... do you think people today don't get close to God for the same reason? I mean Christians? It seems that we all have the opportunity to get very close but some of us stand "afar off."
This has been on my heart so much lately.Yes...

We have this scripture because we tend to stand afar off and this scripture shows us NOT TO :P

James 4:7 Therefore submit to God. Resist the devil and he will flee from you. 8 Draw near to God and He will draw near to you. Cleanse your hands, you sinners; and purify your hearts, you double-minded.

Seems that Christians stand afar off for a variety of reasons but the number one reason is sin. Seems they don't want the pain of conviction, even though the pain of guilt is what's keeping them away. We get so used to the pain of the guilt, we get used to it because it's just a simmering pain. The pain of conviction is HOT and very painful but this intense pain will purge and purify. That guilt, just keeps you at a painful simmer. Kinda like the Israelis when they complained to Moses about shelter, water and food. They said they were better off for the many generations in slavery. This is that simmering pain we all get used to and would rather endure than endure a short period of INTENSE pain while God purges and purifies us like He did the Israeli nation for those 40 years.

So to stand afar off and just simmer, instead of jumping in the furnace of purification? Many would just rather stand afar off and simmer and complain.

karenoka27
Jan 25th 2011, 01:38 PM
I'm going in!
I told you before that I felt the Lord calling me to something but was unsure what it was. I am finding that He is indeed calling me closer.
Thanks, and if you don't mind, I would like to share some of this with the group of FB. And you are more than welcome to join us as well. We are in Exodus now...just wanted to make sure you knew you were welcome.

Slug1
Jan 25th 2011, 01:45 PM
I'm going in!
I told you before that I felt the Lord calling me to something but was unsure what it was. I am finding that He is indeed calling me closer.
Thanks, and if you don't mind, I would like to share some of this with the group of FB. And you are more than welcome to join us as well. We are in Exodus now...just wanted to make sure you knew you were welcome.I've gone in many times Karen. Some of those times was painful but even in those most painful times, I didn't want to leave. Laying on your face in a puddle of tears and snot when you are brought to that point of godly sorrow for sin you have done, when God is done, you do stand up a different person or at the least... a focus and perspective that is realigned with God.

So is this on your page in FB?

Use all you want of anything I have ever said!!

Slug1
Jan 25th 2011, 01:57 PM
v10 Humble yourselves in the sight of the Lord, and He will lift you up.

Also... by going in, is putting v10 of James 4 into action!!!

karenoka27
Jan 25th 2011, 02:00 PM
I haven't posted in there yet, but thanks for allowing me to use some of what you shared.
Our youth pastor spoke on Sunday evening, and he was talking about how God changes us when we take the time to get completely alone with Him and make a habit of it. He was sharing how he was once very quiet, but now he can't stop talking! But the talking he does is about our awesome God. This happened through him getting himself alone with God and allowing Him to show Him who he was and what he needed to repent of etc.
I believe that we all think we know who we are but we don't fully understand or appreciate who God created us to be until we allow Him to show us. First He does have to show us where we are wrong in our ways and then we confess, repent and are cleansed. Then He can show us who it was that He created us to be.
Psalm 139:14-15-"I will praise thee; for I am fearfully and wonderfully made: marvellous are thy works; and that my soul knoweth right well.My substance was not hid from thee, when I was made in secret, and curiously wrought in the lowest parts of the earth."
Interesting that in the same chapter it says:
Psalm 139:23-24-"Search me, O God, and know my heart: try me, and know my thoughts:And see if there be any wicked way in me, and lead me in the way everlasting."

God already knows what is in our heart...He wants us to see it. He desires to lead us in His way...we just have to want to go.

Slug1
Jan 25th 2011, 02:13 PM
All I can say to what you posted is... HOOAH!

karenoka27
Jan 25th 2011, 02:22 PM
I'm going to go spend some time with the Lord right now. I just wanted to let you know that I posted my thoughts on FB and posted the link on my page. I entitled the group, "Sharing Through the Bible in a Year."
You can see if I shared what you did properly." :hug:

Slug1
Jan 25th 2011, 03:12 PM
I just asked to join your group Karen. I see that Angel is in there too... GOOD!!!

BroRog
Jan 26th 2011, 01:10 AM
This has been on my heart so much lately.What does standing "afar off" look like?

karenoka27
Jan 26th 2011, 01:31 AM
What does standing "afar off" look like?

Are you asking because you assume I might know or are you asking in general?
I would say that standing afar off would refer to someone who is content with being saved but does not have the desire to really get to know the Savior.
I really want to know Him....

BroRog
Jan 26th 2011, 04:08 PM
Are you asking because you assume I might know or are you asking in general?
I would say that standing afar off would refer to someone who is content with being saved but does not have the desire to really get to know the Savior.
I really want to know Him....I'm asking because I was curious what everyone was talking about in this thread. I can't comprehend the category, "someone who is content with being saved but does not have the desire to really get to know the Savior." Those two things: being saved, and no desire to know the Savior don't seem to go together. I would question the salvation of someone who didn't want to know the savior.

karenoka27
Jan 28th 2011, 01:12 AM
Though I kind of understand what you might be saying, I do believe there are Christians who do not desire to know God as much as He would like us too.
I personally feel that some are either too busy to come closer or maybe even too afraid?

BroRog
Jan 28th 2011, 06:13 PM
Though I kind of understand what you might be saying, I do believe there are Christians who do not desire to know God as much as He would like us too.
I personally feel that some are either too busy to come closer or maybe even too afraid?

Yea, I hear you. I love the fact that you are concerned for others, which is noble and good. I think our modern problem is that we are too busy, distracted, and easily pulled away in other directions. I think we can help each other by gently calling each other back, making the effort to remind people of the main gospel, bring ourselves and them to continually make the main thing the main thing, if you know what I mean. Personal letters, text messages, group meetings, church attendence, personal visits, etc. helping each other stay focused on the hope set before us.

Thanks for helping me.

Slug1
Jan 28th 2011, 06:17 PM
Yea, I hear you. I love the fact that you are concerned for others, which is noble and good. I think our modern problem is that we are too busy, distracted, and easily pulled away in other directions. I think we can help each other by gently calling each other back, making the effort to remind people of the main gospel, bring ourselves and them to continually make the main thing the main thing, if you know what I mean. Personal letters, text messages, group meetings, church attendence, personal visits, etc. helping each other stay focused on the hope set before us.

Thanks for helping me.Problems, being busy, and distractions are the biggies, no doubt. I'd peg all three of those as the reasons I'm not on my knees daily before the Lord. The bald spots on my hairy legs just under my knees have hair on them once again. As stupid as that sounds, its the truth, the spots were bald because I was on my knees daily in prayer but not any more.

However, what about those afraid though? What help/advice can be offered to them?

karenoka27
Jan 30th 2011, 01:40 AM
Distractions! The biggest thing that keeps us from drawing near to the Lord.
I am reading through the Old Testament and I am amazed at how easily the Israelites were distracted and before they knew it, serving other gods. It's easy to read history and see where they fell short. But I know for me, I need to search my heart to see daily where I do.

BroRog
Jan 30th 2011, 05:04 PM
Distractions! The biggest thing that keeps us from drawing near to the Lord.
I am reading through the Old Testament and I am amazed at how easily the Israelites were distracted and before they knew it, serving other gods. It's easy to read history and see where they fell short. But I know for me, I need to search my heart to see daily where I do.

Yes, it's so easy to get distracted and Yes I also need to search my heart. In addition to that, if the distractions of the world are taking you away from the Lord, then bring the Lord into your distractions. When you go to the store to by milk, for example, take the Lord to the store with you. When you go to work, take the Lord to work. When you watch TV, bring the Lord along. Realize that God is always there anyway, so the way to overcome distraction is to increase your awareness of the Lord everywhere. If you find the Lord in your heart, then take your heart everywhere. If you have ecconomic struggles, or family issues, bring the Lord into your struggles and family issues in a way that makes sense to you.

Does this make sense?