PDA

View Full Version : Please Help Site Stuido online web builder.

ikester7579
Jan 28th 2011, 10:30 AM
When I was hosted by someone else I used their online builder named Site Studio. Now my site is moved here. The problem I am having is trying to edit text on any page and the whole page goes wacko. I have tried the editors in the control panel, and Namo web editor on my computer. Same results. it's like the template I'm using is specifically made to be edited by that one program (is this common?).

So the question is, am I going to have to change the template on my whole site (which is huge) to solve this problem? I have new updates to add but cannot because of this problem.

I have spent countless hours building this site. Now I feel like I'm having to start all over.

ikester7579
Jan 28th 2011, 08:35 PM
I was just reading the thread about add on domains. Which gave me an idea that may make the conversion to a new template much easier. Here's my idea, and tell me if it will work.

I take and make a addon domain with one of my extra website addresses. I then take my new template and start working on transferring text etc... When done I download a back up of my old website, then delete it and transfer the new website with new template to the original address. Then put back my extra website address (the add on domain) where it was.

This way I can take my time and test everything as I do it. Make sure all files links etc... work. And my old site stays up until the conversion is complete. And I have a back up just in case anything goes wrong.

I'm beginning to think it's more trouble this way than it's worth. But maybe not. Maybe someone has a better way?

Hmm, just came up with another idea. Make the addon domain, install the online website editor in the control panel and start the transfer of info that way. The reason I don't use my pc is because my upload speed is slow and it would take forever to do the site on it then upload. So I'm looking for a way to do it all online.

bdh
Jan 28th 2011, 09:40 PM
All site builders are unique. They generally have their own way of doing things and don't play nice with each other. We use a different one to the one your previous host used hence the compatibility issues. It's like trying to import a Joomla site into a Mambo CMS. Ive seen it done but it's real messy. Not much you can do about that unfortunately. (One of the reasons I'll never use on myself).

Your plan, if I understand you correctly should work fine.

ikester7579
Jan 29th 2011, 07:21 AM
All site builders are unique. They generally have their own way of doing things and don't play nice with each other. We use a different one to the one your previous host used hence the compatibility issues. It's like trying to import a Joomla site into a Mambo CMS. Ive seen it done but it's real messy. Not much you can do about that unfortunately. (One of the reasons I'll never use on myself).

Your plan, if I understand you correctly should work fine.

Well the problem was, this was my first workings with doing anything with the web or html. The online builder made it easy so I got hooked on it. But later I had to learn some html anyway because of all the things I wanted to do with the site.

So now I have to fix the problem I caused by basically being lazy and taking the easy way out :rolleyes:.Now all I can do is :B.

Just one more question. When it comes time to transfer the site from the add on domain with new template and replace the old one. Can it be done from the control panel, or do I need to contact you?

ikester7579
Jan 29th 2011, 11:26 AM
Okay, I made the addon domain. And the site builder from the control panel went right in. Soholaunch. I started looking around and it said at the bottom that it was a trial version. So what happens when the 15 days are up?

Never mind. Only the shopping cart is unavailable after 15 days, and I don't need that.

bdh
Jan 29th 2011, 11:21 PM
First, if you want a nice site builder, use RVSiteBuilder (I'm not a fan of SOHO builder, but that's just me) -- link near the bottom of your CP. It has a blog, guest-book and more. If you build your site using RV, publish it to a dummy folder (like "test") and when you're happy, publish it to the folder you want.

ikester7579
Jan 30th 2011, 05:43 AM
You are probably right. After looking at soho, I was seeing some restricting stuff I did not like. Though it had a complete site server to server transfer. At least that's what I think it is because you enter the other domain name to start the transfer. The templates were to restrictive, basic etc... And I like to be able to control "all" the colors of the template. SOHO only allows this in certain areas of the template. And only certain colors. At least site studio was more free in customizing their templates, and they were more professional looking.

Back to the drawing board.