PDA

View Full Version : Please Help Flag Banner Waving in Your Church - Tell Me Your Denomination

Kylism
Jan 29th 2011, 06:30 PM
Our new fellowship (church group) has recently stopped a few people waving banners and flags (no flags from countries) in church. The reason is because the teachers of flagging, outside of our church, have a doctrine of different beliefs, which is a certain denomination (which I don't want to mention). They say this denomination is associated with flagging and will be stopped because of that association.

Yet I think many denominations do flagging. Am I wrong?

PLEASE - Comment of flagging to you as well.

Hey -- if I missed you in the the list "Other" mention it please here.

Amos_with_goats
Jan 29th 2011, 07:25 PM
Our new fellowship (church group) has recently stopped a few people waving banners and flags (no flags from countries) in church. The reason is because the teachers of flagging, outside of our church, have a doctrine of different beliefs, which is a certain denomination (which I don't want to mention). They say this denomination is associated with flagging and will be stopped because of that association.

I am somewhat puzzled by your post. I am interested in hearing more...

amazzin
Jan 29th 2011, 07:25 PM
Certain denominational churches do that but it isn't a denominational mandate or denominationally sanctioned. Each church has their own leadership who accept or do not accept the practice. The issue is one of submission rather than one of acceptablity. Are those who flag willing to submit to the churches leaders?

Spirit filled churches or otherwise charismatic churches, which encompasses a wide range of denominations will allow flags. Most will have a teaching around the practise. Such as , certain colors means certain interpretations. It must be done in concert with the worship and the worship leader. Otherwise it is just confusion.

Amos_with_goats
Jan 29th 2011, 09:03 PM
Yes bother, I get that. The part i am not understanding is the poll to ask what denom one fellowships with... and the statement;

I just don't quite get the connection... other then to ask to discuss the issue? What would it matter what denom everyone answers in the poll?

Diggindeeper
Jan 29th 2011, 10:59 PM
I know of one church that used to do this, but stopped it when it got to be so many that people were being swiped in the face by so many flaggers.

I have nothing for or against, but that has nothing to do with any denominational leaning.

I do tend to think if more people used that time in opening the word and preaching it, it would do more good in the long run. But that too is my personal opinion.

Psalms Fan
Jan 30th 2011, 01:58 PM
Other: Orthodox

I don't quite understand what you mean by "flagging". Would you please explain that a little more?

NHL Fever
Jan 30th 2011, 06:11 PM
I know of one church that used to do this, but stopped it when it got to be so many that people were being swiped in the face by so many flaggers.

The rules could be changed to be more similar to flag football. You are allowed to flag, but you open yourself up to tackling if you do, especially when you swipe someone in the face! :hmm:

Reynolds357
Jan 31st 2011, 12:52 AM

I have no theological problem with waving flags, but I personally think it is stupid and distracting.

VerticalReality
Jan 31st 2011, 12:57 AM
I really don't have a problem with people doing it if that is how they would like to express themselves to the Lord in worship. However, I really don't have any leading or desire to do it.

Amos_with_goats
Jan 31st 2011, 03:23 AM
Ok,

So...

Luke 22:31

And the Lord said, “Simon, Simon! Indeed, Satan has asked for you, that he may sift you as wheat.

This separation.. the division over pointless distinctions... is of the Deceiver. Of course, many of the things come from works of the Lord that became works of men.... well, it is sad commentary that not only do we allow these artificial divisions, we (generic we, the Church) actually SEEK them OUT. :cry:

Who is glorified in this? :rolleyes:

There is nothing wrong with the OP, or the replies... please don't take what I posted above as an indictment against anyone in this thread. My heart is just sick right now over the artificial lines we find to divide over.

notuptome
Jan 31st 2011, 04:29 PM
What happens when someone brings in a checkered flag? Does he wave it to end the service? What an inspiration...1st Church of NASCAR...green flag to start...yellow flag to warn that sin is close??

I have heard of folks waving their hankies when they were blessed in the old holiness churches but I was unaware of the practice in the modern church.

For the cause of Christ
Roger

teddyv
Jan 31st 2011, 05:17 PM
Like others, I have never heard of such a practice.

Reynolds357
Jan 31st 2011, 09:05 PM
Like others, I have never heard of such a practice.

I have seen it too many times. It annoy's me to no end.
The only place I have seen it happen with regularity is in predominantly black, Charismatic churches.

Diggindeeper
Jan 31st 2011, 10:44 PM
Me too, in charismatic churches. Its kind of a recent thing. To me, distracting.

amazzin
Jan 31st 2011, 11:02 PM
Me too, in charismatic churches. Its kind of a recent thing. To me, distracting.

Recent as in? It's been ongoing since the mid 90's when Toronto Airport Vineyard and Brownville began t introduce it to those who attended. Done properly it can be a very powerful prohetic act of worship, with proper teaching and submission it can work in most spirit filled churches. The problem is when those who do flag ministyr do it for the sake of "show" with no purposeful intent.

Diggindeeper
Jan 31st 2011, 11:21 PM
Recent as in? It's been ongoing since the mid 90's when Toronto Airport Vineyard and Brownville began t introduce it to those who attended. Done properly it can be a very powerful prohetic act of worship, with proper teaching and submission it can work in most spirit filled churches. The problem is when those who do flag ministyr do it for the sake of "show" with no purposeful intent.
Amazzin,, the 'mid-90s' (to me) is recent! Seems like 1995 was just last week....:dunno:

Here in East Tennessee, there seems to be no teaching on it at all. What I have seen here really can be described as 'show' or performance. I saw a woman one time waving her 'flag' and someone went to the altar and knelt down, crying, praying, and here goes this woman who covered his whole kneeling body with her 'flag.' The Pastor stepped down and grabbed it off him, tossed it aside and knelt to pray with that man.

I couldn't ever figure what that woman was thinking when she 'covered' that man, from his head to his toes, with her 'flag'....

Reynolds357
Feb 1st 2011, 03:20 AM

I will take your word about it can be a powerful prophetic act. To me it is just extremely annoying.

amazzin
Feb 1st 2011, 03:29 AM
I will take your word about it can be a powerful prophetic act. To me it is just extremely annoying.

It can be annoying especially within the context of the example used by Diggin!

teddyv
Feb 1st 2011, 03:59 AM
Well Youtube did not fail, as there were several examples of what this is about. I guess maybe we've had this in our church before; some of the younger kids with streamers on Christmas or Easter (typically anyway). Close enough?

Kylism
Feb 6th 2011, 11:48 PM
My church fellowship is evanglical and decided to stop waving flags during our time of music worship. Not country flags, just colorful ones with no color meaning to them. People waved these flags in the back of our meeting area (only once in front by request of music worship leader).

In their hearts with God they got expression of God to express it in waving flags, just as some it and make songs with them.

Well people have stopped waving them. The reason our fellowship stopped was association with "word of faith" movement, which has different beliefs in who God is and our relationship with God.

Such ****____________________**** the word-faith heresy. "Man…was created on terms of equality with God, and he could stand in God’s presence without any consciousness of inferiority…God has made us as much like Himself as possible…He made us the same class of being that He is Himself…Man lived in the realm of God. He lived on terms equal with God…The believer is called Christ…That’s who we are; we’re Christ!" (

THUS WANTED TO KNOW -- If other denominations do waving of flags or banners beside word of faith. I think there are others and it is not just associated with "word of faith". For the record I will not flag at our fellowship in respect of our leaders, even though I know not see it in association with "word of faith" movement.

Kylism
Feb 6th 2011, 11:52 PM
Yes I agree that expression of waving a flag was not respective. I have seen that before, usually on people standing. No in our present fellowship church but in others. I agree it can be for prophetic or spiritual warefare moments as well. Though I am not called to do in that manner.

Kylism
Feb 6th 2011, 11:54 PM
Yes I see how it can be
To me it is just extremely annoying Reynolds357. Some new things to me in connecting to God were troublesome as well. A one point raise hands was annoying thing. Now even dancing is ok to me.

Kylism
Feb 6th 2011, 11:56 PM
Yes, I think it is close enough. It is an expression of joy in God and instead of clapping or singing or jumping up and down or kneeling on the ground. All methods to me are fine to connect with God in a relationship.

Kylism
Feb 6th 2011, 11:59 PM
My church fellowship is evanglical and decided to stop waving flags during our time of music worship. Not country flags, just colorful ones with no color meaning to them. People waved these flags in the back of our meeting area (only once in front by request of music worship leader). The children loved to connect and enjoy God that way.

I agree that
I do tend to think if more people used that time in opening the word and preaching it, it would do more good in the long run. But that too is my personal opinion. .

Also agree that
that has nothing to do with any denominational leaning.

Izdaari
Feb 7th 2011, 11:13 AM
Pentecostal here, specifically Assemblies of God.

No flags of any kind are on display at my church, and I don't recall ever having seen anyone use flags in worship either. Either AG is not very "flaggy" or my particular congregation isn't.