PDA

View Full Version : My Daily Bible Study - 1 Kings (2)

Frances
Feb 7th 2011, 05:53 PM
1Kings

Quote:- (Rev. David Pawson)”this is a record of God’s people told from God’s point of view. The writer of Kings is not interested in focusing on political, economic or military history, though he may mention all these in passing. Rather he is concerned with two aspects of each king’s rule or kingdom. (1) It’s spiritual qualities – worship, either the God of Israel or idols. (2) It’s moral qualities – justice and morality, or their opposites. Eg. Omri in the north we know from other historical sources to have had an outstanding reign . . .the book of kings dismisses him in 8 verses because he ‘did evil in the sight of the Lord’, on the other hand Hezekiah who was largely a good king is given 3 chapters, and the stories of Elijah and Elisha, who were not kings, take up a third of the 2 books.

1 Kings 1
What does the text say? – David was old when his son Adonijah, who he had never disciplined, decided to be proclaimed king, and gathered a small army. Joab the commander of David’s army and Abiathar the priest helped him, but Zadok the priest, Benaiah the son of Jehoida, Nathan the prophet, Shimei, Rei, and David’s personal bodyguard refused to support Adonijah. Adonijah invited all David’s sons except Solomon, and those who opposed his claim to the throne, to a sacrifice at En-rogel, a spring in the Kidron Valley. Nathan told Bathsheba that Adonijah had proclaimed himself king without David’s knowledge, and told her to tell David and that he, Nathan, would be there to back her up. Bathsheba reminded David of his promise to make Solomon king after himself, but that Adonijah had become king. David swore again that Solomon would become king, and sent those faithful to himself to proclaim Solomon king at Gihon. All Adonijah’s guests heard the rejoicing and Jonathan, the son of Abiathar, arrived to tell Adonijah that David had made Solomon king and he was sitting on the throne. All Adonijah’s guests were afraid and left, Solomon said Adonijah could live if he was loyal to him, but would die if he caused trouble.

Application? – If children are not disciplined, bigger problems will develop as they get older. Am I faithful to my friends even when they are old, frail, and unable to help themselves? Can the Lord rely on me to do His Will all of my life? Do I give those who have acted against me a second chance?

Frances
Feb 9th 2011, 05:44 PM
1 Kings 2

What does the text say? – Knowing he was close to death David told Solomon to be strong and prove himself a man, to observe all the requirements of the Law of God and follow all His Ways; to keep all the decrees, commands, regulations and laws written in the law of Moses, so that he’d be successful in all he did. David also told Solomon to kill Joab because he killed Abner, Ner and Amasa, and also to kill Shimei who had cursed him, but to be kind to Barzillai’s sons as their father had helped David. David reigned over Israel for 40 years – 7 in Hebron and 33 in Jerusalem. Adonijah asked Bathsheba to intercede with Solomon on his behalf, asking that he be given Abishag as his wife. Solomon said Adonijah had signed his own death warrant with that request, and had him killed. Then Solomon told Abiathar, the priest, he would not be killed as he deserved, as he had served David well before he had sided with Adonijah, but he could no longer be a priest, or live in Jerusalem. Joab was killed for joining Adonijah’s rebellion. Then Solomon sent for Shimei and told him he could live as long as he didn’t leave Jerusalem. 3 years later he went across the Kidron valley to fetch 2 runaway slaves – then he was executed too.

Application? – Do I encourage others to abide by the Word of God? Is my forgiveness of others total, or do I secretly bear a grudge and expect others to punish them for me? Do I seek to gain advantages by stealth? When receiving mercy do I take it for granted and expect more mercy if I offend in future, or do I ensure I keep inside the boundaries of behaviour set for me?

Frances
Feb 10th 2011, 05:30 PM
1 Kings 3

What does the text say? – Solomon married Pharoah’s daughter and while he was having his palace and Jerusalem’s city wall built they lived in Zion. Solomon loved the Lord and sacrificed, and burnt incense at local places of worship. After he had sacrificed 1,000 burnt offerings at Gibeon the Lord appeared to him in a dream, saying He would give Solomon whatever he asked for; so he asked for an understanding heart, to enable him to govern the people well, knowing the difference between right a wrong. The Lord said that He had given Solomon what he asked for because he had not asked for personal glory and He would also give him riches and fame as well; and if he followed and obeyed Him as David had done he would also have long life. Some time later 2 prostitutes who lived together went to Solomon. They had both had a baby, one of which died in the night; each claimed the live baby was hers. Solomon said the living baby must be cut in two. One woman agreed, the other pleaded for the child to live and be given to the other woman – Solomon said the compassionate woman must be given the baby as she was the baby’s mother.

Application? – Do I ask the Lord for things that will benefit others or myself? Do I recognise my need for God’s Wisdom in all I do? Do I worship the Lord in ways that please Him or ways that please me? Am I using the gifts God has given me to Glorify Him? Do I love anyone enough to let them belong to someone else instead of me? Do I always ask the Lord to Guide me in everything I do and say, or do I think my own wisdom is sufficient?

Frances
Feb 11th 2011, 05:11 PM
1 Kings 4+5

What does the text say? – Solomon was king over all Israel, and his officials were all named. He also reigned over all the kingdoms from the Euphrates to the borders of Egypt, and there was peace from Dan to Beersheba. Solomon had 4,000(40,000?) chariot horses and 12,000 horsemen. Each month a different Governor in his kingdom supplied for the needs of Solomon’s table, those employed by him, and of his horses. Solomon’s wisdom was widely known, so people from all nations went to meet him and hear what he had to say on a wide variety of subjects – trees, other plants, animals, birds, insects and fish; he said 3,000 proverbs, and sang over 1,000 songs. Solomon told Hiram, the king of Tyre, he intended to build the Temple and asked for cedar wood, cyprus and craftsmen to assist the Israelite workers; they agreed that, in exchange, each year Hiram would receive 20,000 kors of both wheat and oil (NLT - 100,000 bushels of wheat and 110,000gallons of pure olive oil). Solomon had 30,000 men, under 3,300 supervisors, working on the project in shifts of 1 month on the project and 2 months at home, preparing timber and stones to build the Temple.

Application? – Am I prepared to support the Lord’s Work both physically and financially? Do I lose sight of the ‘big picture’ and consider my small input is not necessary, or realise each small thing done in the Lord’s service by each of His people is an essential contribution?

Frances
Feb 12th 2011, 05:49 PM
1 Kings 6

What does the text say? – 480 years after the Israelites left Egypt (966BC), which was the 4th year of Solomon’s reign, he began to build the Temple about 90 feet long, 30feet wide and 45feet long. The vestibule in front of the Temple was 30 foot wide and extended 15 foot. There were windows with bevelled edges throughout the Temple and also a complex of rooms against the outer walls 3 stories high, connected to the walls of the Temple by beams resting on ledges built out from the wall. The stones used in the construction were made the right size and shape in the quarry. Inside the Temple was covered with cedar beams and planks on the walls and ceiling and cyprus on the floor. Then the Most Holy place was built of cedar 15ft x 30ft, carved with buds and open flowers, and overlaid with gold 15ft x 30ft, and a cedar-wood altar also overlaid with gold. The rest of the interior of the Temple was also overlaid with gold, and gold chains protected the entrance to the Most Holy Place. 2 Cherubim were in the Most Holy place, 15ft high and 15ft wide overlaid with gold, so their wings touched the walls on one side and each other in the centre. The entrance to the inner sanctuary had doors of wild olive wood decoratively carved and covered with gold, with 5 sided posts. The entrance to the temple had 4 sided posts of wild olive wood and folding doors, hinged to fold back on themselves, of Cyprus wood, also carved and overlaid with gold. The walls of the inner courtyard were built with a layer of cedar beams between every 3 layers of stones. The Temple took 7 years to build. The Lord told Solomon that if he kept all His regulations and decrees, and obeyed all His Commands He would live with, and never abandon, His people.

Application? – As each Christian’s body is a temple of the Holy Spirit, and will take a lifetime of obedience to Him to perfect - am I intent on being perfect for Him, or do I assume He’ll accept what I give so perfection doesn’t matter?

Quote- (David Pawson)- “although the Temple was built out of cut stone the sound of a hammer was never heard. This was a mystery . . until someone discovered a gigantic cave at Mt. Moriah outside Jerusalem. The floor is covered with millions of little chips where the rock has been cut. The rock is so soft that it can be cut with a penknife, but when it is brought out into the open air it oxidises and goes quite hard. All the stone for the Temple came from this cave, where they cut the blocks the exact shape needed to fit into the Temple above ground.”

Frances
Feb 13th 2011, 03:06 PM
1 Kings 7

What does the text say? – Solomon took 13 years to build his own palace and a home for his wife; he also had other large and imposing buildings constructed from huge blocks of stone and cedar wood, with foundations stones 12ft or 15ft long. Solomon sent for Hiram, a man from Tyre whose mother was an Israelite, because he was skilled in constructing things from bronze. Hiram cast many things in moulds in the Jordan valley between Succoth and Zarethan, including 2 bronze pillars 27ft. tall and 18ft in circumference, and 7½ft tall capitals for the tops of them decorated with lattice work, chains and pommegranites. The sea was made 3inches thick, 15ft from rim to rim, 7½ft deep and about 45ft in circumference, decorated under the rim, to hold about 11,000 gallons of water, and 12 bronze oxen to put it on. Hiram also made 10 bronze water carts with bronze wheels made from the same mould, as were the basins for each cart to hold 220 gallons of water, all 6ft across. Hiram also made all the washbasins, shovels and bowls that were needed for the Temple. All the furnishings for the Temple were made of solid gold – the altar, table for shewbread, 10 lamp-posts, lamps, tongs, bowls, lamp-snuffers, dishes, incense burners, also the doors that were overlaid with gold. Then Solomon took all the silver and gold and other articles David had dedicated for the temple, and put them in the Temple treasury.

Application? – Is my life dedicated to Glorify the Lord? Is my dedication visible? (James 2:26 says ‘faith without works is dead’). Have I / will I ensure my parents will to glorify God is carried out?

Frances
Feb 14th 2011, 05:12 PM
1 Kings 8

What does the text say? – Solomon summoned the leaders of all Israel to Jerusalem to accompany the Ark when it was taken from Zion and put in the most Holy Place in the Temple, in early autumn. Innumerable animals were sacrificed when the Ark, containing the two stone Tablets of the Covenant, was placed under the wings of the Cherubim in the Most Holy Place. Then the cloud of the Lord’s Presence filled the Temple, stopping all activity. Solomon Blessed the people and explained how the Temple came to be built. He knelt at the altar and prayed that when God’s people prayed, looking towards the Temple, He would hear them and forgive them; when they have Sinned against Him and He is punishing them, and they repent He would forgive them; when any of His people, knowing the condition of their heart does not please Him, He will forgive and cleanse them, for He alone knows everyone’s heart. Then Solomon cautioned the people to ensure their hearts were loyal to the Lord God in every way. 22,000 bulls and 120,000 sheep were sacrificed as Peace offerings. On the same day the king consecrated the courtyard in front of the Temple with Burnt offerings, Grain offerings and Peace offerings; then the large congregation of people, who had come from as far as Lebo-hamoth in the north and the Brook of Egypt in the south, celebrated the Festival of Shelters. The celebrations went on for 14 days – 7 days for the dedication of the altar and 7 days for the Festival of Shelters. Then Solomon sent the people home,

Application? – Do I do everything I do to the best of my ability and for the Glory of God? Do I acknowledge God’s Presence and praise Him for all He does? Do I acknowledge my Sin and repent with all my heart and soul, and so turn back to God’s Way?

Frances
Feb 15th 2011, 06:07 PM
1 Kings 9

What does the text say? – The Lord appeared to Solomon and said He would always watch over the Temple that had been built for Him, and if Solomon followed Him with integrity and Godliness as David had done, obeying all His Commands, decrees and regulations He would establish his dynasty over Israel for ever but if he, or his descendants, abandoned Him, disobeyed Him, to serve and worship other gods, the Israelites would be removed from the land He had given them and He would abandon the Temple. Solomon took 20 years to build the Temple and his palace; then he gave 20 towns to king Hiram of Tyre, who regarded them as worthless (Cabul), then he sent Solomon 9,000 pounds of gold. Solomon conscripted all the people left of the Ammonites, Hittites, Perizites, Hivites and Jebusites as his labourers, and 550 Israelites to supervise them; they built the wall of Jerusalem and the cities of Hazor, Meggido and Gezer, and the towns of Lower Beth-horon, Baalath, and Tadmor, he built towns as centres for his chariots and cavalry etc. . 3 times each year Solomon presented incense and Burnt and Peace offerings; he also built a fleet of ships and Hiram sent experienced sailors to work with Solomon’s men, they went to Ophir and returned with 16 tons of gold.

Application? – Does the way I live always honour God? Am I known for integrity and obedience to God? Or for saying one thing and doing another? Is my life being spent building God’s Kingdom on earth? Do I enlist help from those better qualified to support those who help me?

Quote:- (Henry H. Halley) “In the outside world this was the age of Homer, the beginning of Greek history. Egypt, Assyria and Babylon at the time were weak. Israel was the most powerful kingdom in the world . . . Solomon’s income, and supply, in gold is said to be enormous. Within 5 years of Solomon’s death, Shishak, king of Egypt, came and took away all this gold . . . the mummy of Shishak was found in Tanis, in Egypt, in a gold covered sarcophagus – perhaps some of the same gold he had taken from Solomon.”

Frances
Feb 16th 2011, 05:10 PM
1 Kings 10

What does the text say? – When the Queen of Sheba heard of Solomon’s wisdom bringing honour to the Lord his God she went to see him for herself and to ask him hard questions. She was accompanied by many attendants with camels loaded with spices, much gold and precious jewels. Solomon answered all her questions, nothing was too hard for him to explain. She was overwhelmed by all she saw, Solomon’s palace, the food on his tables, the organisation of his officials, their splendid clothes, and the Burnt offerings Solomon made at the Temple of the Lord, and gave him 9,000 pounds of gold, great quantities of spices and precious jewels, king Solomon gave the queen of Sheba everything she asked for before she returned home. Each year Solomon received about 25 tons of gold and also the revenue from merchants, traders, all the kings of Arabia and the Governors of the land. Solomon made 200 large shields of gold, each weighing 15 pounds, and 300 smaller shields each weighing 4 pounds; a huge throne was made for him and covered with gold, all his cups were solid gold and all the utensils in the palace. Solomon’s ships sailed with Hiram’s fleet returning every 3 years loaded with gold, silver, ivory, apes, and peacocks – so he became richer and richer. People went from every nation to consult Solomon and to hear the wisdom God had given him; they took him valuable gifts including horses and mules. Solomon had 1,400 chariots and 12,000 horses, at that time many valuable things were treated as ordinary items.

Application? – Do I really value all the benefits I have, or do I take them for granted? What do I consider ‘ordinary’ today that would not have been available 100 years ago, and are not available to many folk today? Could I enrich the lives of others by giving them what I don’t really need?

Frances
Feb 17th 2011, 04:39 PM
1 Kings 11

What does the text say? – Solomon had 700 wives and 300 concubines, many from the nations that the Lord had forbidden His people to intermarry with, because they worshipped idols. Solomon became disloyal to the Lord God and worshipped his wive’s idols and providing High Places for the worship of their gods – he was not at Peace with God as his father David had been. The Lord became very angry with Solomon and told him he would give the kingdom to his servant, but for the sake of his father David He would wait until Solomon was dead and, also because of David, his son would reign over Judah and Jerusalem. During David’s reign he had attacked the Elamites when Hadad, the kings son, who was a child had been taken by servants to Egypt because Joab was killing every male in Elam; the king of Egypt provided for him and eventually he married the king’s sister in law. When Hadad heard that David and Joab were dead the Lord encouraged him to go home also Razom from Zoab gathered a band of raiders and lived in Damascus reigning over Syria, both these men were Solomon’s adversary all his days. Solomon’s servant Jereboam, an Ephraimite, was very industrious, so Solomon put him in charge of the labour force from Ephraim and Manasseh. The prophet from Shiloh, Ahijah, met Jereboam in open country, tore the new garment he was wearing into 12 pieces telling Jereboam to take 6 of them because after Solomon died the Lord was giving him 10 tribes, because Solomon had worshipped other gods and had not obeyed Him. If Jereboam listened to the Lord God and obeyed Him, and obeyed all His decrees and commands as David had done, he would have an enduring dynasty in Israel. Because Solomon tried to kill Jereboam he lived in Egypt until Solomon died after reigning for 40 years. Solomon’s son, Rehoboam, became king.

Application? – Do I worship the Lord God with all my heart, soul, mind and strength? Does my behaviour encourage my family to turn to the Lord, or away from Him? If I marry someone whose life does not belong to the Lord, I may turn away from Him and will not fulfilled His good Purposes for me. If I am responsible for destroying anyone their descendants may cause problems for my family in the future. Even though I know the Lord will uses me in some way it may not be for a long time; am I ensuring I am in the right place, getting the training I require, in the meantime?

Frances
Feb 18th 2011, 04:47 PM
1 Kings 12

What does the text say? – Rehoboam, Solomon’s son, was made king of Israel at Shekem. Jereboam, and representatives of all Israel, went to Rehoboam asking for relief from the heavy demands Solomon had made in regard to labour and taxes. Rehoboam asked for 3 days to decide; he asked Solomon’s advisors, who said if he reduced his demands the people would serve him forever – he asked his peers for their advise, they said he should make even harsher demands. When Rehoboam sent Adoniram, who was in charge of the king’s labour force and tax collection to the people, they stoned and killed him. Rehoboam fled to Jerusalem in Judah. The rest of the Israelites sent for Jeroboam and made him king of all Israel except Judah and Benjamin. Rehoboam assembled 180,000 men to fight, but the Lord sent Shemaiah to tell Rehoboam and all the people that they must not fight as what had happened was His doing. Jereboam was afraid that if the people went to Jerusalem to worship God they’d return to Rehoboam so he made 2 gold calves, putting one in Bethel and one in Dan. He also erected buildings at these pagan shrines and ordained priests who were not Levites, and imitated the religious Festival of Shelters, and offered sacrifices on an altar at Bethel and burnt incense.

Application? – Do I seek advise from the Lord, wise counsellors, or my friends? Do I consider the interests of other people or only my own interests? Am I more concerned with losing support for myself or adhering to God’s Will as written in His Word? Do I realise that going against God’s Word will lead me even further away from Him?

Quote:- (Henry H, Halley) “Jereboam, founder of the Northern kingdom, to keep the 2 kingdoms apart adopted Calf worship, the religion of Egypt. The calf came to stand as a symbol of Israel’s independence from Judah . . . . everyone of the 19 kings of the Northern kingdom followed the worship of the golden Calf, some of them also served Baal, but no one ever attempted to bring the people back to God

Frances
Feb 19th 2011, 05:18 PM
1 Kings 13

What does the text say? – The Lord sent a man from Judah to Bethel who arrived as Jereboam was about to burn incense on the altar. The man shouted that a child named Josiah would be born in David’s dynasty who would sacrifice the priests of pagan shrines who burnt incense, and the sign that what he said was from the Lord was that the altar would split. Jereboam pointed at the man saying ‘arrest him’ and his arm became paralysed in that position; he pleaded with the man of God to pray for him to be restored – which he did, and Jereboam was healed. The king offered hospitality, but the man refused saying the Lord had told him not to eat or drink anything there, and to go home another way. An old prophet who lived in Bethel heard what had happened, went to find the man and said an angel had told him to take the man home with him for refreshment – but it was a lie. The man went back with the prophet and ate and drank. Then the Word of the Lord came to the man, through the old prophet, that he would not get home because he had disobeyed the Lord. After he left, a lion killed the man and stood beside the corpse with his donkey. When the old prophet was told, he fetched the man’s corpse, buried it, and said what he had said about the shrines in Samaria would come true. Jereboam continued consecrating anyone who wanted to be a priest of one of the High Places – which gave the Lord a reason to exterminate his descendants.

Application? – Do I ensure I always do, or don’t do, everything the Lord tells me? If I lie to anyone there maybe tragic results. Do I heed the Word of the Lord and act upon it, or ignore it?

Quote:-( Henry H. Halley)” this amazing prophecy, calling Josiah by name, 300 years before he was born, was fulfilled (2 Kings 23:15-18).

Frances
Feb 20th 2011, 04:39 PM
1 Kings 14

What does the text say? – Jereboam’s son Abijah became sick, so Jereboam asked his wife to disguise herself and go to Shiloh to ask the prophet Ahijah, who had told him he would be king, what would become of the boy. Ahijah was now old and blind, but the Lord had told him that Jereboam’s wife was coming to see him, and what he must say to her. Ahijah told her to give Jereboam a message from the Lord, that he had done more evil than any who were before him by making and worshipping other gods. As he had turned his back on the Lord He would ensure none of Jereboam’s male descendants were buried, but their bodies would be food for animals and birds. Then Ahijah told Jereboam’s wife that when she got home her son would die. The Lord God would raise up a king who would destroy the family of Jereboam and scatter the Israelites beyond the river Euphratees. When Jereboam’s wife arrived home the child died. After 22 years as king of Israel Jereboam died and his son Nadab became king of Israel. Meanwhile, Solomon’s son Rehoboam was king of Judah. During the 17 years Rehoboam reigned the people provoked the Lord to anger because of their sin of building pagan shrines, having male and female prostitutes at them, and putting up Asherah poles. In the 5th year of Rehoboam’s reign Egypt’s king, Shishak, attacked Jerusalem, ransacked the Temple and took all the gold. Rehoboam later made bronze shields to replace the gold ones, to be used whenever he went to the Temple. There was constant war between Rehoboam and Jereboam. When Rehoboam died his son Abijam became king.

Application? – Do I fully realise that the Lord knows everything I do? However old and infirm I may become the Lord will still speak to, and through, me. Do I use blessings the Lord gives me to Glorify Him, or to turn away from Him and encourage others to turn away from Him too? Could I have lost something precious to me because I turned away from the Lord? When I displease the Lord I may not lose the benefits He has given me immediately, but my un-repented Sin may start a process that will inevitably end in my despair.

Frances
Feb 21st 2011, 04:44 PM
1 Kings 15

What does the text say? – Abijam reigned over Judah for 3 years, doing evil in the sight of the Lord, and being at war with Israel all his life. Then Asa reigned in his place, when Jereboam had been king in Israel for 20 years. Asa pleased the Lord by removing all the idols and banishing all those practising Sodomy or prostitution in religious rituals, he also deposed his grandmother, the queen mother, because she erected an Ashera pole; but he did not remove all the High Places. Nevertheless Asa’s heart was loyal to the Lord, and he put back into the temple treasury all the silver and gold that had been dedicated to the Lord. There was constant war between king Asa of Judah and king Baasha, who became king of Israel when he killed Nadab in the 3rd year of his reign, and killed all the other descendants of Jeroboam too. Basha reigned 24 years, being as evil as Jeroboam. Baasha invaded Judah and was fortifying Ramah in order to prevent anyone going into, or out of, Judah. Asa sent all the gold and silver in the Temple, and his palace, to BenHadad who was ruling in Damascus asking him to break his treaty with Baasha so that he’d leave Judah alone – which BenHadad did, and then he sent his army to attack Israel. Asa ordered everyone to remove all the timber and stone Baash used to fortify Ramah and take it to Geba and Mizpah. When Asa was old he suffered with diseased feet; when he died Jehoshaphat, his son, became king.

Application? – Does the way I live please or anger the Lord? Is my heart loyal to the Lord? Do I have the courage of my convictions when dealing with my family?
Could my relationship with the Lord, or lack of it, mean the stability and protection, or destruction, of all my family?

Note:- Nadab – king of Israel 911BC – 910BC
Baasha – king of Israel 910BC – 887BC.

Frances
Feb 22nd 2011, 06:04 PM
1 Kings 16

What does the text say? – The Lord sent word to Baasha saying He had raised him up to become king, but because Baasha had provoked Him to anger, by encouraging Israel to Sin, He would destroy him, his relatives and friends – then Baasha died and his son, Elah became king of Israel. When Asa had been king of Judah for 26 years Elah began his reign. 2 years later Zimri, who commanded half of the royal chariots, killed him; then Zimri became king and killed all Baasha’s relatives and friends. Zimri’s reign only lasted 7 days because the people chose Omri, commander of the army, to be their king and when Zimri realised he was beaten he burned the house and died in it. Then ½ of the people of Israel wanted Tibni to be king and ½ wanted Omri; Omri’s supporters defeated Tibni’s, so Omri became king of Israel in the 31st year of Asa’s reign in Judah. Omri reigned 12 years, then he bought the hill now known as Samaria for 150 pounds of silver and built a city there, but he committed all the Sins Jereboam had done, provoking God to anger. When Omri died his son Ahab became king in the 38th year of Asa’s reign in Judah; he reigned 22years and was more evil than any other king. Ahab married Jezebel and began to worship Baal, and built a temple to Baal. During Ahab’s reign Heil, from Bethel, re-built Jericho which cost him the lives of his eldest and youngest son fulfilling the prophecy of Joshua the son of Nun (Josh. 6:26).

Application? – Does what I do provoke the Lord to anger? Would I be wise to try to please Him instead? What the Lord says will take place – including raising everyone for Judgment – so am I trusting Jesus Christ to be my Saviour? Am I fully submitted to Him?

Quote:- (Henry H. Halley)”A Harvard University expedition found, in the ruins of Samaria, the foundations of Omri’s palace, but nothing older than Omri . . . . the ruins of Jericho show it was inhabited continuously from Abrahamic times to about 1,400 BC with no signs of habitation from then to the 9th century BC, the time of Ahab. . . A jar with the remains of a child was found in the masonry of a gate, and 2 such jars in the wall of a house.”

Frances
Feb 23rd 2011, 04:39 PM
1 Kings 17

What does the text say? – Elijah, whose home was in Gilead, told king Ahab there would not be any dew or rain unless he said there would be. Then the Lord told Elijah to go and hide by the brook Cherith, He had commanded ravens to take him meat and bread twice each day and he could drink from the brook. When the brook dried up the Lord told Elijah to go to Zarapeth where He had commanded a widow to provide for him. When Elijah got near the gate of the city he met a woman gathering sticks, so he asked her to give him some water, then asked for some bread as well. The woman said she only had a little flour and oil left, when she had cooked it for her son and herself they would starve. Elijah told her to make him a small cake first, then bake for herself and her son, for the Lord God said she would have oil and flour until He sent rain, so she did as he said and her oil and flour did not run out. Some time later the woman’s son died, so Elijah took his body to the upper room where he was staying, put it on the bed and laid on him 3 times while praying that he would live, and the boy returned to life. Then the widow knew that Elijah really was a man of God and that He spoke through him.

Application? – If I follow the Lord’s specific instructions I will be in the right place to receive each Blessing He has prepared for me – if I ignore any detail of His instructions I will be the loser. Do I share what ability I have with others – financial, physical, intellectual etc.? Do I trust the Lord to provide what I need to enable me to do His Will? Do I pray for what seems impossible? Do I only pray once for a need or continue to pray until I receive what I believe the Lord will give?

Frances
Feb 24th 2011, 04:53 PM
1 Kings 18

What does the text say? – In the 3rd year of the drought the Lord told Elijah to go to Ahab and He would send rain, so he went. Because of the famine in Samaria Ahab had sent Obadiah - who was secretly faithful to the Lord, having saved 100 of His prophets when Jezebel massacred the rest of them – in a different direction to the one he himself took, to see if there was a spring still capable of keeping his animals alive. Elijah met Obadiah telling him to tell Ahab he was there; but Obadiah was afraid to go in case Elijah vanished again and Ahab killed him. When Elijah promised to meet Ahab Obadiah went and Elijah told Ahab to gather all Israel at Mount Carmel (where there is a spring that never runs dry in the severest drought) including the 450 prophets of Baal and the 400 prophets of Ashtoreth (Baal’s wife). Elijah challenged the people to trust the God who could set fire to the sacrifice prepared for him. Both Elijah and the prophets of Baal built altars, Elijah also dug a ditch round his to be filled with water, to make the Lord’s task hardest. The prophets of Baal were 1st to prepare their sacrifice, they called on Baal all morning but no fire came, at noon Elijah mocked them but no fire had come by evening, even though they cut themselves and prophesied. Elijah had the ditch filled with water and the meat of the sacrifice drenched on the altar he had prepared for the Lord, with 12 stones representing the 12 sons of Jacob. Then Elijah prayed and the Lord set fire to the sacrifice. The people fell to their knees and worshipped the Lord. Elijah had all the prophets of Baal and Asherah arrested, taken to the brook Kisha and executed. Then Elijah told Ahab to go and eat and drink, but he went to the top of Mt. Carmel himself and prayed while sending his servant to look for a cloud, which he did the 7th time he went. Then Elijah told Ahab to get home before the rain came, running in front of his chariot all the way to Jezreel.

Application? – I will only be able to trust the Lord enough to do big things for Him after I have constantly trusted him with all the small difficulties I face each day. Am I trusting the Lord with every area of my life now? Am I obeying Him in all things?

Quote:- (David Pawson)”We now know that the altar s of Baal had a tunnel underneath where a priest would be concealed to set fir to the wood . . . Elijah cunningly asked them to build their altar in the open and promised to build his in the same way, only he would add water to make the challenge greater.”

Quote:- (Henry H. Halley)”The Oriental Institute, excavating at Meggido, found in the stratum of Ahab’s time . . . many jars were found containing the remains of infants who had been sacrificed. The prophets of Baal and Ashera were official murderers of little children” (like those involved in abortion today)

Frances
Feb 25th 2011, 05:17 PM
1 Kings 19

What does the text say? – Ahab told Jezebel what had happened, then Jezebel sent a message to Elijah saying she’d have him killed within 24 hours - so he ran away. When Elijah reached Beersheba he left his servant there and continued a day’s journey into the wilderness and sat under a tree and prayed to die, then went to sleep. An angel woke him, offering food and water which he consumed then laid down again. Again the angel offered food and water, after he’d eaten it Elijah consumed no more for 40 days, he went to Mount Horeb (Ex.3:1 + 4:27) and slept in a cave. God asked Elijah what he was doing there, and he explained what had happened and said he, alone, was true to the Lord and was in danger of being killed. The Lord told Elijah to go and stand on the mountain, there was a strong wind – but the Lord was not in the wind; then an earthquake - but the Lord was not in the earthquake, then a fire – but the Lord was not in the fire. Then Elijah heard a still, small, Voice – the gentlest possible whisper; the Lord asked Elijah why he was there and he repeated his reason for being there. The Lord told Elijah to go to the Wilderness of Damascus and anoint Hazeal king of Syria and Jehu, the son of Nimshi, king over Israel and Elisha, the son of Shabat, as his own successor. The Lord also said He had 7,000 in Israel who had always been faithful to Him. Elijah found Elisha ploughing with 2 oxen and threw his mantle over him. Elisha killed the oxen, used the plough to cook them, gave the meat to the people, and went to serve Elijah.

Application? – Does the way the Lord uses me cause me to be ostracized? Am I sure any feeling against me is because of God’s message and not because of the way I do His Will or give His message? Do I run away from the reactions of others to me, and withdraw from those who do not seem to want my company? Do I seek refuge in places where others have met with the Lord in the past? Have I discovered that time alone with the Lord re-charges my spiritual batteries, and enables me to do His Will His Way for His Glory? Am I preparing someone else to do the Work I currently do for the Lord? If I sometimes think I am the only person true to the Lord and His Word I must remember there are many more, though they may be unknown to me. Do I heed the still, small Voice of the Lord that comes to me unexpectedly?

Quote:- (Henry H. Halley) “It seems like God was aiming to tell Elijah that, while force and spectacular demonstrations of Power are sometimes necessary . . . yet after all God’s real Work in the world is not accomplished by such methods. . .”

Frances
Feb 26th 2011, 05:36 PM
1 Kings 20

What does the text say? – King BenHadad of Syria besieged Samaria with the support of 32 allied kings. He sent a message to Ahab claiming all his silver, gold, wives and children and Ahab agreed. BenHadad sent another message saying that next day his officials would search Ahab’s palace and the homes of all the people and take anything of value. Ahab replied that he would give what he had already agreed, but no more. BenHadad and his allies prepared to attack when a prophet went to Ahab and told him the Lord said He would hand all the enemy over to the Israelites – then they’d know He really was the Lord. About noon while BenHadad and his allies were getting drunk, Ahab’s provisional commanders marched out of the city with their men, and each one killed those they attacked. The Syrians were slaughtered but BenHadad escaped. The prophet told Ahab he must be prepared as BenHadad would attack again in the spring. The Syrians decided the Israelite’s God would have no power in the low land, so in the spring went to Aphek to fight Israel. A man of God told Ahab that even though his army was greatly outnumbered God would hand BenHadad’s army over to him, so that he’d know the Lord was God. The Israelites killed 100,000 men and the rest of BenHadad’s army fled to Aphek, where a wall fell and killed 27,000 men; then Ahab made a treaty with BenHadad. A prophet met Ahab and told him the Lord had appointed BenHadad and his people for destruction, but as Ahab had let them escape that sentence of death was transferred to him and his people.

Application? – When the Lord enables me to win a battle I must prepare for the next one immediately or I will be taken unawares. If I water down the Gospel in any way I am letting misconceptions live in my hearers hearts and will ultimately suffer because of it.

Frances
Feb 27th 2011, 05:13 PM
1 Kings 21

What does the text say? – Naboth had a vineyard next to Ahab’s palace in Jezreel that Ahab wanted; so he offered to either buy it or exchange it for a better vineyard. Naboth refused to part with what he had inherited from his ancestors. So Ahab sulked. Jezebel was amazed that Ahab, who had authority over all Israel, should be downhearted about this matter. Jezebel wrote letters in Ahab’s name, sealed with his seal, to the elders of the city where Naboth lived, telling them to proclaim a fast, and arrange for two men to accuse Naboth of blaspheming God, and stone him to death. When Jezebel was told Naboth was dead she told Ahab to take possession of Naboth’s vineyard, which he did. The Lord told Elijah to go to Ahab in the vineyard and tell him the Lord would destroy every one of the male members of his family wherever, and whoever, they may be, because He was so angry with Ahab for giving Israel such a bad example to follow. He also said Jezebel would die and be eaten by dogs, as would his family members in the city, and those outside would die and be eaten by birds. This would happen because Ahab worshipped idols and had killed Naboth. Ahab humbled himself publicly, so the Lord’s sentence against his family was postponed until after his death.

Application? – If I covet anything it may lead me into Sin? Have I ever acquired anything by underhanded means? However large or small that acquisition may be it will anger the Lord? Have my actions encouraged others to be deceitful? Do I tell others if their actions risk the Lord’s anger?