PDA

View Full Version : Bible-Marking

xIRoyal KnightIx
Feb 10th 2011, 11:57 PM
If you have a simple and effective system for marking your "sword" please share it with us and if possible, tell how this system of bible-marking has helped you in your walk with God.

I am looking forward to adopting the most effective techniques for my walk.

-SEEKING-
Feb 10th 2011, 11:58 PM
Bible Marking!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! That's blasphemy!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

amazzin
Feb 10th 2011, 11:59 PM
I use a color code technique. For instance, anything to do with the cross I underline in red, anything to do with God's majesty is purple...you can adopt whatever colors suits you and begin to color your Bible :D

Servant89
Feb 11th 2011, 12:03 AM
Bible Marking!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! That's blasphemy!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I know you are joking.... :-)

Jer 23:18 For who hath stood in the counsel of the LORD, and hath perceived and heard his word? who hath marked his word, and heard it?

I mark with different marks next to the verse depending on the doctrine. For example, if it deals with trinity, I put "3/1" next to it. If it deals with soul/spirit/body, I write "soul" next to it. If the OT verse deals with Jesus, I write Jesus next to it. If it deals with some of the key doctrines, that are important and people do not have a good grip on it, I mark it accordingly. My first Bible study was on wine, I had written the word "wine" next to every verse in the Bible that deals with that subject. I takes me about 60 minutes to go through my entire paper Bible to extract all the verses dealing with a particular doctrine.

Shalom

Sherry W
Feb 11th 2011, 12:04 AM
Personally, I prefer not to mark my Bible, unless it is a cheap one. I just put parenthesis around the passage with an ink pen.

-SEEKING-
Feb 11th 2011, 12:10 AM
I know you are joking.... :-)

Sorry. Couldn't resist. :cool: :cool: :cool:

AndrewBaptistFL
Feb 11th 2011, 02:30 AM
If I highlight something, in the margins I'll write why I highlighted it, or a way to practically apply what is written. For example, if I'd highlighted text about humility, I'd write a few examples of how I can strive to be humble.

Athanasius
Feb 11th 2011, 04:24 AM
Oddly enough, the bible is the only book I haven't marked in any way... Then again, all of my bible's have really thin paper. Maybe I should get a bible with thick pages...

RabbiKnife
Feb 11th 2011, 02:38 PM
I've never marked or made notes in a Bible. I figure that Scofield/Dake/Thompson/Ryrie/MacArthur/Hagee or whoever else was smarter than me and already made all the notes I needed...

That's a joke. The second sentence, not the first.

Note taking has never been big for me in any academic endeavor.

Fenris
Feb 11th 2011, 02:57 PM
I would make notes, but the margin is too small to contain it.

Phish
Feb 11th 2011, 04:39 PM
What ever color I have handy at the time, I just go for it. If someting comes to mind I just right it down wherever I can.

TrustGzus
Feb 11th 2011, 06:49 PM
I stopped marking my Bible years ago. I used to highlight verses that jumped out at me. However, as I learned more about entire contexts, then it wasn't individual verses that meant so much to me as paragraphs, or entire chapters or even a whole book. The individual verses must make their point inside of a bigger context that supports the point. Once I started thinking along the lines of "what is the point of this chapter/book" marking seemed less important.

That being said, my wife is a Bible marker. Her and I will read 3-5 chapters together and she'll be marking every few seconds.

markedward
Feb 11th 2011, 06:51 PM
I just write notes in 4-point font in the margins.

keck553
Feb 11th 2011, 07:46 PM
Scribble everywhere. Very tribal, only makes sense to me.

Servant89
Feb 11th 2011, 09:56 PM
Scribble everywhere. Very tribal, only makes sense to me.

I like that!

Shalom

PilgrimPastor
Feb 11th 2011, 10:35 PM
I have used different techniques. I presently underline key words in the text as I am reading for sermon preparation then use a system of parenthesis around key phrases. I do this while reading the text initially and then that helps me to build my exegetical outline for sermon preparation. Often those underlined words are the basis of the key points in the sermon or Bible study for my adult Bible class.

I would say BRAVO to any system that means you are actually reading your Bible especially if you are not "obligated" to do as a pastor. Sadly... some pastors don't even fulfill that obligation very well or almost at all!

A biblically literate laity in the pew is the ultimate safeguard against biblical illiteracy and heresy in the pulpit.

NoChurchHome
Feb 19th 2011, 06:13 AM
Old thread. New member here.

Wow, the responses are all over the place. I have an NASB wide margin Bible. It is my main Bible and I note in it extensively. I try to keep it fairly neat although I have to print because my handwriting is not so good. What I do is highlight with a colored pencil then put my notes in the ample margin with a .005 micron pen. I use either blue or black for writing. The color of the pencil is whatever stands out. I don't distiguish with different colors for different subjects, I'm too simple for anything that complicated.

episkopos
Feb 19th 2011, 02:54 PM
If you have a simple and effective system for marking your "sword" please share it with us and if possible, tell how this system of bible-marking has helped you in your walk with God.

Love to colour my bible with highlighters! :)

What I also do is write in the greek and hebrew words and phrases that correspond to important passages. I write in my own commentary at times AND I make my own references that tie in similar passages. As you can imagine my bibles are pretty messy! But I like it that way! :) Enjoy!!!

ProjectPeter
Feb 19th 2011, 07:06 PM

Here is a link to a picture of one of my Bibles.

http://bibleforums.org/album.php?albumid=2&attachmentid=5596

I color code them... 13 different colors and all have their own topic. For one... it helps when looking for a passage quickly. For example, if I am looking for an instance where someone was healed in Scripture by Jesus... I can skim through the gospels and just pay attention to the blue colors... in short order I find what I am looking for. Biggest thing though... it forced me to slow down when I read and I concentrated on what I was reading so as to know which color to color the passage(s). I've been doing this for over 30 years now and it's hard to read a Bible that ain't color coded now! Done a lot of them over the years and several people on the board even have one as I color them and give them away. ANyway... it works for me and I've never known anyone who doesn't love the system once they do it.

Use coloring pencils and Crayola is the best. Roseart works fine but the lead is harder so you have to be careful. The lead can tear through a page. Even happens with Crayola's if you get a burr in the lead but over time... I can feel it before it does the rip. Nevertheless.. I do keep clear tape handy because now and again I get carried away! :lol:

Also... don't start out with a boat-load of colors because it can get frustrating for you. Maybe start out with your basic 12 box of pencils. Out of that you will have brown, black, blue, red, yellow, green, pink, orange and purple. If you do something like this... and you decide you like the system holler at me and I will tell you the other colors you can use. Keep in mind that they have a lot of colors but out of all those colors... 13 is about the most you can do because once the colors fade out... green looks like green no matter if it is light, dark, or whatever other shades of green they come up with.

Also... think before assigning a color. I'll give you an example... when I started I made healings the color blue. Over the years I added another color because I wanted to color all the passages pertaining to salvation and the gospel. I chose aqua as that color since when it faded it stood alone just fine. Problem is... it isn't a primary color and there are a LOT of passages that I color with it. So I have to get the 24 box which cost more for that color and there is the blue... one blue pencil will color code 6 or 8 Bibles if not more. I tried to switch but my brain wouldn't grasp the concept so I had to suck it up and keep it the same! :lol:

As well... BACK TO SCHOOL is like Christmas morning! I can get the 12 box of Crayola's for under a dollar usually at Wally World. Take advantage of that and stock up. Naturally that depends on how much you color... I do a Bible every month so I go through a lot of pencils.

Another tip... DO NOT USE a pencil sharperner. The point tears through much easier PLUS it is a gross waste of lead. Use a knife and trim the wood around the lead. Keeps your lead fat and you get full use of it and it generally stays fairly rounded. Two advantages there. It doesn't rip through the page AND it covers a fatter area so you don't have to set a friction record just to color a long passage. :)

Anyway... all that to say this is really a good way to even study your Bible. It forces you to concentrate on what you're reading.

xIRoyal KnightIx
Jun 25th 2012, 10:29 AM
Red... obedience
Orange... prophecy unfulfilled
Green... Holy Spirit
Blue... Healing
Aqua... Salvation
Yellow... righteousness/holiness
bronze yellow... prayer
jade... NOSAS/OSAS
pink... love
burgandy... prosperity stuff
brown... faith
purple... sin
black (lightly colored... gray don't think it. Fades to almost nothing)... demons/satan

Wow, some time has passed and so has much trial and persecution and deliverance.

I haven't yet adopted a consistent coding system, but I am much closer to that goal now than I was when I first asked about it.

I googled "colors of the rainbow in scripture" and found some info that will also be considered for my choice of system, but I have a few questions before I choose...

1. Dark blue, deep blue, or indigo...what happens to it when it fades?

2. for portions of scripture where it seems only white is the proper color, I don't want to leave any important spiritual truth blank.

chad
Jun 26th 2012, 08:52 AM
I have a red letter edition bible, where the words of Jesus are highlighted in Red. I also use highlighters in different colors to highlight important passages, have underlined verses in pen that speak to me, have scribbled notes in the columns and all over the page, have written on the cover and drawn pictures on the bible and written notes on the introductions. Yeah you get the idea, my bible is a mess, but I love it...The real power of the bible though is when it goes from the page into your mind and heart, and the written words becomes living flesh (in you).

-SEEKING-
Jun 26th 2012, 10:59 AM
The real power of the bible though is when it goes from the page into your mind and heart, and the written words becomes living flesh (in you).

Wow! That last sentence speaks a GREAT truth. Well said Chad.

claybevan
Jun 26th 2012, 04:02 PM
What ever color I have handy at the time, I just go for it. If someting comes to mind I just right it down wherever I can.
I inherited my grandmothers bible full of notes, thoughts, poems in fact anything that came into her mind while reading, it is now my most treasured heirloom.
So I scribble away and hope that the thoughts I leave behind will be as treasured as Nana Florrie's.

Saved7
Jun 27th 2012, 02:53 AM

I tried that and ended up confused.:lol: So many times I would highlight something and put a note next to it and when I stumbled onto it a year later I had NO CLUE what I marked it for.:lol: So I took up journaling, MUCH more effective for me!:spin:
Now, about once or twice a year, I go through all of my journals and read from start to finish and I see what areas I've grown in, I'm reminded of things that I wanted to journal about, and I learn something new.:bounce:

xIRoyal KnightIx
Jun 27th 2012, 04:28 PM
I tried that and ended up confused.:lol: So many times I would highlight something and put a note next to it and when I stumbled onto it a year later I had NO CLUE what I marked it for.:lol: So I took up journaling, MUCH more effective for me!:spin:
Now, about once or twice a year, I go through all of my journals and read from start to finish and I see what areas I've grown in, I'm reminded of things that I wanted to journal about, and I learn something new.:bounce:

I tried journaling several times for several reasons such as future reference. It's seems every time I begin a journal I get half way done with that journal and something happens and that journal is gone for some reason, be it destroyed, misplaced, trashed, stolen, or whatever.

The most effective for me is to mark my sword and pray that any journal I may be writing is dealt with carefully and treated respectfully.

In marking my bible, I include a "key" on one of the blank pages located at either the front or the back. All bibles have at least 2 blank pages inside its cover. This Key reveals what color represents what and to clarify, I include a Letter and possibly a number . this way if red symbolizes say 9 things and each one of those symbolize 9 things, it would be something like this...

Red A8 or Purple B5

2Cor 3:18 But we all, with open face beholding as in a glass the glory of the Lord, are changed into the same image from glory to glory, even as by the Spirit of the Lord.

Rom 1:17 For therein is the righteousness of God revealed from faith to faith: as it is written, The just shall live by faith.

These 2 verses for instance, are in two different contexts but speak of the same thing. My point here is that we go from faith to faith and from glory to glory. The experiences we have as we go from faith and glory to faith and glory, as well as deeper revelations and enlightenments, these are what we journal.

I have seen some bibles have in the back a few pages titled "notes", but they are only a few pages and aren't meant for note-taking while studying.

Let's also not fail to mention that many people highlite and color code etc for different purposes. My brother highlites to designate a personal experience he has concerning a certain verse or passage. He also highlites verses and passages which meant something to him personally somehow especially when he was a babe in Christ.
Bible marking seems to be a preference for most but the way we mark seems to be a variety of techniques.

One may choose to not mark his/her bible at all. such as my bio-dad. He feels that marking a bible in any way is a form of disrespect for Gods Word. someone earlier in the thread mentioned that it is blasphemy (jokingly), but they were shown very quickly where marking the word can have a literal meaning and yet innocent.

It's like when the apostle paul spoke of the meat sacrificed to idols being set before a mature christian and a baby christian. the mature knows that we have the liberty of eating, but if eating means one sheep being stolen away or lost or stumbling, then we no longer have that liberty for the sake of that one believer.