PDA

View Full Version : Chronoligical version Bibles

Jack Thompson
Feb 13th 2011, 10:53 AM
Hi, I just saw a website ad for a new Chronological version Bible. It states it's in the order of events in the Bible. It looks (from their website) that this version starts with the book of Exodus. This version is confusing to me.....If it goes by events in the Bible, Creation is still the first event in the Bible and not Exodus. I also think this version would be hard to use in Church as I need to look up verses fast and i wouldn't know where they put the book in their order. Any knowledge of this version? Thanks!!

-SEEKING-
Feb 13th 2011, 05:24 PM
Never heard of it. And if it starts with Exodus it's no where near chornological.

Jack Thompson
Feb 13th 2011, 11:31 PM
It's a new Bible from "Thomas Nelson Bibles". I believe their web page is http://nelsonbibles.com. They are a trusted long time Bible publisher, I just don't understand the organization of this version! Thanks!

PilgrimPastor
Feb 14th 2011, 02:35 AM
I bought this recently but I haven't had a chance to look at it yet.

WSGAC
Feb 14th 2011, 05:35 PM
Hi, I just saw a website ad for a new Chronological version Bible. It states it's in the order of events in the Bible. It looks (from their website) that this version starts with the book of Exodus. This version is confusing to me.....If it goes by events in the Bible, Creation is still the first event in the Bible and not Exodus. I also think this version would be hard to use in Church as I need to look up verses fast and i wouldn't know where they put the book in their order. Any knowledge of this version? Thanks!!

Exodus would probably be the likel candidate for the first book of the Bible. This is where creationists get off the beaten path, because they see beginning in creation rather than salvation.

Notice what the prophet Isaiah says,

“This is what the LORD says—
your Redeemer, who formed you in the womb:
I am the LORD,
the Maker of all things,
who stretches out the heavens,
who spreads out the earth by myself, Isaiah 44:24

See anything in the scenario above? God as "redeemer" next makes himself known as "creator."

Exodus is the beginning, because God makes himself known there as savior! The great Old Testament scholar Gerhard van Rad argues that the oldest creedal statements of ancient Israel do not contain references to creation. Instead, they begin with the call of Abraham. There is no evidence from ancient Israel to suggest they were motivated to give a rationale for the world's existence by pointing to God. In other words, "intelligent design" was not the basis for their creedal statements of God. They did not *begin* with creation (belief in God as Creator) and then move to a belief in God as redeemer. Rather they believed in a Redeemer God and then moved to a belief that their God was responsible for the existence of the earth and the enitire universe.

"I AM the Lord your God who brought you up out of the land of Egypt" - This is first, and from this we come to learn He is also creator.

teddyv
Feb 14th 2011, 06:28 PM
I would surmise that since Genesis is traditionally attributed to Moses, he would not have penned it until sometime well after the exodus (if this version is based on the timing of the writing rather than the timing of the events).

Jack Thompson
Feb 15th 2011, 07:39 AM
Thomas Nelson Pulishers state that this Bible is in order of Events. If it's by Events....Adam and Eve can't be after other Events.....They came prior.....Eventwise.!!

NoChurchHome
Feb 19th 2011, 06:07 AM
I have had a Reese Chronological Bible for quite some time. I like it for reading through the Bible. Of course it isn't something you can take to church with you. And I have no idea, theologically, how accurate it is. It compared pretty well with the NIV Chronological by Lagard Smith that the wife had for a while.

Not a main Bible I use. But I do like it for reading occassionally.