PDA

View Full Version : Meaning of Words

onecalled
Feb 14th 2011, 04:33 AM
The other night my wife and I went to a marriage workshop. What impressed me was the knowledge of the speakers (husband/wife team). When reading from God's Word the husband would explain the original Hebrew/Greek meanings of words. My question is, what translation can correctly translate (Hebrew/Greek) words? I know there are many different translations out there but is there one that will follow the original meaning of words without looking up the Hebrew/Greek word, is it possible to even do this? If there is not a bible like this why don't someone make a bible that would have this information or correct words in a bible. If there is a bible like this what is it, and is it a trustworthy bible to use?

Example: If a bible uses a word that means ''togetherness'', why would a bible use a different "word" for this word.

Is it possible to comprehend every word of the bible without having to know how to read Hebrew and Greek ( I know that the Holy Spirit helps with this ). I do not plan on going to school to learn Hebrew and Greek. From what I have been told by people that have done this it is very hard to learn.

Also, I do have e-sword and use it when studying the bible sometimes.
Thank you for all of your input.

chad
Feb 14th 2011, 04:56 AM
KJV is a word for word translation. There are computer bible programs that link the KJV with a Hebrew/Greek dictionary. So you can look up the Hebrew or Greek meaning of the word.

The other night my wife and I went to a marriage workshop. What impressed me was the knowledge of the speakers (husband/wife team). When reading from God's Word the husband would explain the original Hebrew/Greek meanings of words. My question is, what translation can correctly translate (Hebrew/Greek) words? I know there are many different translations out there but is there one that will follow the original meaning of words without looking up the Hebrew/Greek word, is it possible to even do this? If there is not a bible like this why don't someone make a bible that would have this information or correct words in a bible. If there is a bible like this what is it, and is it a trustworthy bible to use?

Example: If a bible uses a word that means ''togetherness'', why would a bible use a different "word" for this word.

Is it possible to comprehend every word of the bible without having to know how to read Hebrew and Greek ( I know that the Holy Spirit helps with this ). I do not plan on going to school to learn Hebrew and Greek. From what I have been told by people that have done this it is very hard to learn.

Slina
Feb 14th 2011, 05:46 AM
Some translations are more word-for-word than others (for example, NASB is pretty word-for-word, while NIV is a bit more thought-for-thought while still staying pretty true to the text), but honestly, you're never going to get an English translation that has quite the same depth of meaning to each and every word or carry all the same nuances as the original languages if that's what you're looking for. Greek has some weird rules that don't reflect very directly in English (for example, a double negative in Greek means a more emphatic no, whereas in English it would mean a yes), their verb tenses and articles can carry a whole lot of nuance that English really can't, and some words just don't have an exact English match. Sometimes multiple English words can match a single Greek word, and vice-versa. Plus you have the issue where there are actually multiple manuscripts for the Bible, which results in some variation as well depending on which manuscripts each translation was based on.

Pretty much any of the major translations do a pretty good job though, and are more than sufficient for good Bible study. If you want to dig into the Greek and Hebrew a bit more without actually learning the languages, there are plenty of tools out there. A good Greek-English and Hebrew-English lexicon (my Greek teacher highly recommended the Greek-English lexicon by Bauer and Danker and I did love using it, though it is a little pricey), a Hebrew and Greek dictionary, and a Greek and Hebrew concordance for even more thorough word studies (including one for the septuagint). Having a Bible computer program that includes a Greek and Hebrew dictionary is also a huge help. I'd also suggest learning about the different tenses at least, and maybe having a handy guide somewhere you can reference when looking up verbs, since their tenses work a little different from ours.

crossnote
Feb 14th 2011, 06:03 AM

We do not have the 'original' Hebrew or Greek manuscripts.
With the New Testament for example we have many old manuscripts and partials found over different periods and different locations. Though some vary slightly they for the most part have over a 99% reliability when compared with each other and in no way affects cardinal Christian doctrine. Even if we had the original Greek manuscripts of each N.T. book, there would still be a difference of opinion on how to translate some words and phrases due to context.
If you are not going to study Hebrew or Greek the next best thing is to use your Esword program and run 3, 4 or 5 versions on the same passage.
The other two keys to proper Scripture meaning, is (1) to remember that Scripture is it's own interpreter. Often a hard passage will be cleared up by a passage elsewhere.
And (2) Context, context, context. Look carefully at the surrounding verses, ponder them, and you will be amazed how the verse in question will begin to open up.

Phish
Feb 14th 2011, 01:56 PM
Some translations are more word-for-word than others (for example, NASB is pretty word-for-word, while NIV is a bit more thought-for-thought while still staying pretty true to the text), but honestly, you're never going to get an English translation that has quite the same depth of meaning to each and every word or carry all the same nuances as the original languages if that's what you're looking for. Greek has some weird rules that don't reflect very directly in English (for example, a double negative in Greek means a more emphatic no, whereas in English it would mean a yes), their verb tenses and articles can carry a whole lot of nuance that English really can't, and some words just don't have an exact English match. Sometimes multiple English words can match a single Greek word, and vice-versa. Plus you have the issue where there are actually multiple manuscripts for the Bible, which results in some variation as well depending on which manuscripts each translation was based on.

Pretty much any of the major translations do a pretty good job though, and are more than sufficient for good Bible study. If you want to dig into the Greek and Hebrew a bit more without actually learning the languages, there are plenty of tools out there. A good Greek-English and Hebrew-English lexicon (my Greek teacher highly recommended the Greek-English lexicon by Bauer and Danker and I did love using it, though it is a little pricey), a Hebrew and Greek dictionary, and a Greek and Hebrew concordance for even more thorough word studies (including one for the septuagint). Having a Bible computer program that includes a Greek and Hebrew dictionary is also a huge help. I'd also suggest learning about the different tenses at least, and maybe having a handy guide somewhere you can reference when looking up verbs, since their tenses work a little different from ours.

This, great answer

nzyr
Feb 15th 2011, 04:26 AM
Here are some good online study helps:

http://bible.cc/genesis/1-1.htm

http://www.eliyah.com/lexicon.html

http://biblos.com/genesis/1-1.htm

http://jfb.biblecommenter.com/genesis/1.htm

http://quod.lib.umich.edu/k/kjv/