PDA

View Full Version : The ugly underside of the Egypt protests

Fenris
Feb 18th 2011, 12:32 PM
I'm surprised this hasn't been mentioned already-

photo moments before the attack

http://www.accesshollywood.com/content/images/139/originals/139375_cbs-reporter-lara-logans-brutal-assault-in-egypt.jpg

CBS reporter's Cairo nightmare

By MICHAEL SHAIN, DON KAPLAN and KATE SHEEHY

Last Updated: 6:14 PM, February 16, 2011

Posted: 1:19 AM, February 16, 2011

"60 Minutes" correspondent Lara Logan was repeatedly sexually assaulted by thugs yelling, "Jew! Jew!" as she covered the chaotic fall of Egyptian President Hosni Mubarak in Cairo's main square Friday, CBS and sources said yesterday.

The TV crew with Logan, who is also the network's chief foreign correspondent, had its cameras rolling moments before she was dragged off -- and caught her on tape looking tense and trying to head away from a crowd of men behind her in Tahrir Square.

"Logan was covering the jubilation . . . when she and her team and their security were surrounded by a dangerous element amidst the celebration," CBS said in a statement. "It was a mob of more than 200 people whipped into a frenzy.

"In the crush of the mob, [Logan] was separated from her crew. She was surrounded and suffered a brutal and sustained sexual assault and beating before being saved by a group of women and an estimated 20 Egyptian soldiers.

"She reconnected with the CBS team, returned to her hotel and returned to the United States on the first flight the next morning," the network added. "She is currently in the hospital recovering."

A network source told The Post that her attackers were screaming, "Jew! Jew!" during the assault. And the day before, Logan had told Esquire.com that Egyptian soldiers hassling her and her crew had accused them of "being Israeli spies." Logan is not Jewish.

In Friday's attack, she was separated from her colleagues and attacked for between 20 to 30 minutes, The Wall Street Journal said.

Her injuries were described to The Post as "serious."

CBS went public with the incident only after it became clear that other media outlets were on to it, sources said.

"A call came in from The [Associated Press]" seeking information, a TV-industry source told The Post. "They knew she had been attacked, and they had details. CBS decided to get in front of the story."

Most network higher-ups didn't even know how brutal the sexual assault was until a few minutes before the statement went out.

"We were surprised it stayed quiet" as long as it did, one source said.

Another source insisted that Logan was "involved in the process" of deciding whether to make her attack public, and ultimately understood why the statement had to be released.

The horrific incident came a week after the 39-year-old reporter was temporarily detained by Egyptian police amid tensions over foreign coverage of the country's growing revolution.

As part of the anti-media backlash, CNN's Anderson Cooper had also been roughed up, and ABC correspondent Brian Hartman had been threatened with beheading.

"[Logan] was not in the country for long -- she'd been thrown out, if you remember -- and had just gone back in," one source said.

"She had security with her, but it wasn't enough."

Before the attack, Logan -- who is based in Washington, where she lives with her 2-year-old daughter and husband -- had been set to return to the States sometime over the weekend to tape a "60 Minutes" segment on Wael Ghonim.

Ghonim, Google's head of marketing in the Middle East, had been briefly kidnapped after helping to organize protesters.

But after she was assaulted, Logan went back to her hotel, and within two hours -- sometime late Friday and into early Saturday -- was flown out of Cairo on a chartered network jet, sources said.

She wasn't taken to a hospital in Egypt because the network didn't trust local security there, sources said.

And neither CBS nor Logan reported the crime to Egyptian authorities because they felt they couldn't trust them, either, the sources said. "The way things are there now, they would have ended up arresting her again," one source said.

-SEEKING-
Feb 18th 2011, 01:15 PM
Stuff like this just gets me so angry I can't really get too involved with it. My mother in law says my solutions are too brutal.

Fenris
Feb 18th 2011, 01:21 PM
Stuff like this just gets me so angry I can't really get too involved with it. My mother in law says my solutions are too brutal.

This is one of those times when anger is justified.

BrianW
Feb 18th 2011, 01:26 PM
I've started to type at least 3 replies to this and had to stop and start over again because not one of them were reflecting a Christian attitude. I guess that means that I'm not as far in my walk or as close to my Lord as I should be.

I'll just say that I'll be praying for this woman and her family and for the vile rapists who committed this atrocity instead.

-SEEKING-
Feb 18th 2011, 01:32 PM
I've started to type at least 3 replies to this and had to stop and start over again because not one of them were reflecting a Christian attitude. I guess that means that I'm not as far in my walk or as close to my Lord as I should be.

Believe me when I tell you that I know EXACTLY what you mean.

NewInHim
Feb 18th 2011, 05:51 PM
I have had a hard time looking at that picture, it has bothered me for days. Are we looking right into the face of a man who did this? I dunno, but it's chilling.

Fenris
Feb 18th 2011, 05:53 PM
I think she knows that she's in trouble at this point. It wouldn't surprise me if the men in this picture were some of the ones who assaulted her.

the rookie
Feb 18th 2011, 05:58 PM
Who knows what the response to this will be, so I'll say it carefully - Islam and the Koran (not speaking of Muslims - but of the ideology and the book) has no paradigm for the worth of a woman - i.e. what is reflected in Proverbs 31 or Ephesians 5. It is, from its roots, misogynistic. Thus the plight of women within radically Islamic contexts - they are either non-entities or objects of personal gratification in paradise. From its founder, Mohammed, on down, Islam is a radically anti-woman ideology.

moonglow
Feb 18th 2011, 06:34 PM
Who knows what the response to this will be, so I'll say it carefully - Islam and the Koran (not speaking Muslims - but of the ideology and the book) has no paradigm for the worth of a woman - i.e. what is reflected in Proverbs 31 or Ephesians 5. It is, from its roots, misogynistic. Thus the plight of women within radically Islamic contexts - they are either non-entities or objects of personal gratification in paradise. From its founder, Mohammed, on down, Islam is a radically anti-woman ideology.

Yes it is.

Though we know many Christians were among the protesters too (I haven't heard about other religious faiths there..surely there are some). I saw this days ago on the news..they now show this photo with the faces in the background blurred out though I haven't heard them say why. :hmm: I don't understand the rapist mind..so its confusing to me why they would attack the news crew when they just gotten the most joyous news of freedom from a dictator? Let alone feel the need to brutally attack and rape her? Rape is about humiliation and control ..very much the opposite of what they should have been feeling at that moment...freedom and relief of their oppressor. :hmm: So I just don't understand why this happened then of all times...:confused

My first thought on hearing this was they need to get these female news reporters out of these dangerous places! They should know how things are and acts of violence had been going on against the reporters for a couple of weeks by then so why wasn't she pulled out before this happened? I personally thought all of the news reporters should have been pulled out due to the attacks. Its not worth it...we don't need to know every little bitty thing going on there to risk the life and limb of these reporters. I think its just insane they were sent there to start with. It really makes me thinks these big news networks don't care about their employees at all. :cry: Let alone the women. Even if the women wanted to go I would be saying no for their own protection. Just made me sick to read this had happened.

A day or two on one of those morning shows they talked about the violence against women in general there. They showed a photo from the university there with a large group of women all dressed in casual clothes taken, I think, in the 70's. Then a few more moving forward on the dates. The style of clothing changed..the women were covered more...more and more wearing headscarves which this lady that grew up there said the women do as a way to feel some protection from the men...but even with women in full Burka they still get attacked. :( Nothing was said about them wearing these more and more because more and more were Muslims which I thought was a strange thing to leave out. But anyway the women feel they will have more rights now and feel safer ..I hope they are right.

God bless

decrumpit
Feb 18th 2011, 08:42 PM
Though we know many Christians were among the protesters too (I haven't heard about other religious faiths there..surely there are some).

I know for certain that many of Egypt's Christians are hedging their bets on a government that will actually respect their rights. I personally know one young Christian man who I graduated with who attended the protests and the mood among the Copts is hopeful. Mubarak was one of the most brutal dictators in the region, and his inaction against anti-Christian violence was tacit approval.

No matter what these men believe, they are awful people.

Jeanne D
Feb 18th 2011, 11:32 PM
I read this a couple of days ago and it made me so angry!

Can you imagine what this poor woman has gone through. She'll never totally recover from this horrific experience. :(

Jeanne

Vhayes
Feb 18th 2011, 11:38 PM
Yes it is.

Though we know many Christians were among the protesters too (I haven't heard about other religious faiths there..surely there are some). I saw this days ago on the news..they now show this photo with the faces in the background blurred out though I haven't heard them say why. :hmm: I don't understand the rapist mind..so its confusing to me why they would attack the news crew when they just gotten the most joyous news of freedom from a dictator? Let alone feel the need to brutally attack and rape her? Rape is about humiliation and control ..very much the opposite of what they should have been feeling at that moment...freedom and relief of their oppressor. :hmm: So I just don't understand why this happened then of all times...:confused

My first thought on hearing this was they need to get these female news reporters out of these dangerous places! They should know how things are and acts of violence had been going on against the reporters for a couple of weeks by then so why wasn't she pulled out before this happened? I personally thought all of the news reporters should have been pulled out due to the attacks. Its not worth it...we don't need to know every little bitty thing going on there to risk the life and limb of these reporters. I think its just insane they were sent there to start with. It really makes me thinks these big news networks don't care about their employees at all. :cry: Let alone the women. Even if the women wanted to go I would be saying no for their own protection. Just made me sick to read this had happened.

A day or two on one of those morning shows they talked about the violence against women in general there. They showed a photo from the university there with a large group of women all dressed in casual clothes taken, I think, in the 70's. Then a few more moving forward on the dates. The style of clothing changed..the women were covered more...more and more wearing headscarves which this lady that grew up there said the women do as a way to feel some protection from the men...but even with women in full Burka they still get attacked. :( Nothing was said about them wearing these more and more because more and more were Muslims which I thought was a strange thing to leave out. But anyway the women feel they will have more rights now and feel safer ..I hope they are right.

God bless

I am not defending what these men did - not at all. They are criminals and should be treated as such, although I would guess they will never be prosecuted. However - you say:

its confusing to me why they would attack the news crew when they just gotten the most joyous news of freedom from a dictator? Let alone feel the need to brutally attack and rape her? Rape is about humiliation and control ..very much the opposite of what they should have been feeling at that moment...freedom and relief of their oppressor. :hmm: So I just don't understand why this happened then of all times...:confused

To these people, or at least a part of them, the United States is/was the reason they lived under the dictator. In their minds, because we helped keep Mubarack in power for so long, we are a huge part of the problem.

It's horrible.

songbird
Feb 19th 2011, 06:36 AM
I agree that to think horrid things about her attackers is unchristian like, but believe me, the Lord will NOT let their actions slide. I feel justification in being angry and disgusted with their behavior.

kayte
Feb 19th 2011, 11:49 AM
Who knows what the response to this will be, so I'll say it carefully - Islam and the Koran (not speaking of Muslims - but of the ideology and the book) has no paradigm for the worth of a woman - i.e. what is reflected in Proverbs 31 or Ephesians 5. It is, from its roots, misogynistic. Thus the plight of women within radically Islamic contexts - they are either non-entities or objects of personal gratification in paradise. From its founder, Mohammed, on down, Islam is a radically anti-woman ideology.

Agreed. I don't understand how any women can willingly convert to it. It boggles my mind. I also don't understand why they were screaming "Jew! Jew!" during the attack either. I guess that's because I can't grasp a mindset that is so warped by evil. That would be a good thing.

Unfortunately, women being non-entities or objects of personal gratification isn't limited to radical Islam. It's pretty pervasive right here when you consider that statistics say 25% of all women in the U.S. will be sexually assaulted in their lifetime. That's pretty staggering on how a lot of men view/relate to women. :(

As for what happened to her making us angry... YES. And it makes God angry, too. They won't get away with it. One way or another.

Psalm 10
A Song of Confidence in God’s Triumph over Evil
1 Why do You stand afar off, O LORD?
Why do You hide in times of trouble?
2 The wicked in his pride persecutes the poor;
Let them be caught in the plots which they have devised.

3 For the wicked boasts of his heart’s desire;
He blesses the greedy and renounces the LORD.
4 The wicked in his proud countenance does not seek God;
God is in none of his thoughts.

5 His ways are always prospering;
Your judgments are far above, out of his sight;
As for all his enemies, he sneers at them.
6 He has said in his heart, “I shall not be moved;
I shall never be in adversity.”
7 His mouth is full of cursing and deceit and oppression;
Under his tongue is trouble and iniquity.

8 He sits in the lurking places of the villages;
In the secret places he murders the innocent;
His eyes are secretly fixed on the helpless.
9 He lies in wait secretly, as a lion in his den;
He lies in wait to catch the poor;
He catches the poor when he draws him into his net.
10 So he crouches, he lies low,
That the helpless may fall by his strength.
11 He has said in his heart,
“God has forgotten;
He hides His face;
He will never see.”

12 Arise, O LORD!
O God, lift up Your hand!
Do not forget the humble.
13 Why do the wicked renounce God?
He has said in his heart,
“You will not require an account.”

14 But You have seen, for You observe trouble and grief,
To repay it by Your hand.
The helpless commits himself to You;
You are the helper of the fatherless.
15 Break the arm of the wicked and the evil man;
Seek out his wickedness until You find none.

16 The LORD is King forever and ever;
The nations have perished out of His land.
17 LORD, You have heard the desire of the humble;
You will prepare their heart;
You will cause Your ear to hear,
18 To do justice to the fatherless and the oppressed,
That the man of the earth may oppress no more

daughter
Feb 19th 2011, 01:48 PM
Oh, God help her. It's almost impossible to imagine how terrified she must have been. And it looks like the man on the left is threatening her, her whole body language is tense and fearful. God help her.

ProjectPeter
Feb 19th 2011, 06:38 PM
Read a bit about all this and they spoke about it a bit on the news. They had just previously accused her of being an Israeli spy and kicked her out. They couldn't even report this to the police there because she'd of just been arrested again. This is where you're glad the government that was in place has been toppled. The other side of the coin though... what replaces it? It's an interesting time over there right now... and with Iran sending ships through the Suez Canal right now.. I suspect it is going to get even more tense than it is.

I know you guys are paying out the nose for gas in England Daughter but even here in the US... 3.75 a gallon in the next 45-60 days and if tension doesn't lessen sometimes here real soon... it's going to bust 4.00 by the 4th of July. I suspect in England it will take a second mortgage on the house to fill up the tanks.

moonglow
Feb 19th 2011, 07:23 PM
I am not defending what these men did - not at all. They are criminals and should be treated as such, although I would guess they will never be prosecuted. However - you say:

To these people, or at least a part of them, the United States is/was the reason they lived under the dictator. In their minds, because we helped keep Mubarack in power for so long, we are a huge part of the problem.

It's horrible.

If they are targeting the US reporters then that is another reason to keep them out of there...but I posted this news article when one of their own reporters was killed by the protesters:

http://bibleforums.org/showthread.php/220664-Reporter-in-Egypt-slain

The Mubarak regime hasn't discriminated in which sorts of journalists are being attacked: Egyptians and other Arabs, Russians, Americans, Europeans and South Americans all have been targeted, the committee said.

Of course that was before he left. Since she and her group had been targeted before by their police like ProjectPeter pointed out...then I truly don't understand why they weren't removed by their employees once they were released and kept out. Alot of warning flags there ignored I think. :( I am just disgusted with the news networks for even putting their employees in harms way like this to start with. Especially the female reporters! :cry:

God bless

Fenris
Feb 22nd 2011, 04:44 PM
Some more details coming to light. She was apparently raped and sexually assaulted by between 6 and 50 men and it might have lasted as long as 3 hours.

Fenris
Feb 22nd 2011, 04:50 PM
I don't understand the rapist mind..so its confusing to me why they would attack the news crew when they just gotten the most joyous news of freedom from a dictator? Let alone feel the need to brutally attack and rape her? Rape is about humiliation and control ..very much the opposite of what they should have been feeling at that moment...freedom and relief of their oppressor. :hmm: So I just don't understand why this happened then of all times...:confused

As I'm fond of saying, culture matters a lot. They live in a society where women are objects to be used and abused, so really, what better way to celebrate?

Vhayes
Feb 22nd 2011, 05:17 PM
Women are gang raped all over the world. It's wrong, no matter where it happens. Here in the US, we've had children as young as 7 gang rapped.

It isn't necessarily the culture as much as it's a "mob" mentality.

Fenris
Feb 22nd 2011, 05:24 PM
Women are gang raped all over the world. Especially in Muslim countries, because they're not big on women's rights there. Do you deny that fact?

Yup, lots of women getting gang raped at those nasty "tea party" protests. :rolleyes:

Vhayes
Feb 22nd 2011, 05:34 PM
Fenris, I said it was wrong no matter WHERE it happens.

Why isn't that enough for you?

Fenris
Feb 22nd 2011, 05:41 PM
Fenris, I said it was wrong no matter WHERE it happens.

Why isn't that enough for you?
Because of your continued insistence that "everyone is equally bad" when in fact some cultures are quite a bit better than others.

Vhayes
Feb 22nd 2011, 06:02 PM
Rape is all about control.

If you cannot see that, then I am glad for you because you have never had to deal with anyone who WAS raped.

It isn't about being Muslim or Jewish or Christian or agnostic or atheist. It's about CONTROL.

Fenris
Feb 22nd 2011, 06:08 PM
Rape is all about control. Indeed it is. And in cultures where men are expected to exhibit their control over women, it's far more common. Because, as I've been saying, culture matters.

It isn't about being Muslim or Jewish or Christian or agnostic or atheist.

OK, and is it your contention that women have just as many rights in the middle east as they do here?

moonglow
Feb 22nd 2011, 06:18 PM
Some more details coming to light. She was apparently raped and sexually assaulted by between 6 and 50 men and it might have lasted as long as 3 hours.

Oh my goodness...:cry::cry: No words other then I am surprised she lived. How horrible. I will keep her in my prayers. :pray:

Diggindeeper
Feb 22nd 2011, 07:03 PM
Indeed it is. And in cultures where men are expected to exhibit their control over women, it's far more common. Because, as I've been saying, culture matters.

OK, and is it your contention that women have just as many rights in the middle east as they do here?

I have read reports out of Muslim countries about young women who were raped, but when they reported it to the police...the women were arrested for ADULTERY and the man (the RAPIST) was never charged with any crime! They reason that the woman should not have been where she was and she would not have been raped, even if the man entered her home and raped her. And the woman either ends up being 'flogged' with canes or even hanged in the public square.

Women have NO rights in those countries. They are no better off than cock roaches. Women definitely DO NOT "have just as many rights in the middle east as they do here"!

Fenris
Feb 22nd 2011, 07:16 PM
I have read reports out of Muslim countries about young women who were raped, but when they reported it to the police...the women were arrested for ADULTERY and the man (the RAPIST) was never charged with any crime!
That's because under sharia law, for rape you need four male witnesses. But a woman admitting to having sex can convict herself- and usually does.

Vhayes
Feb 22nd 2011, 07:20 PM
It's them there danged muslims. Yep. They are evil, dirty beasts.

Fenris
Feb 22nd 2011, 07:27 PM
It's them there damned muslims. Yep. They are evil, dirty beasts.
Aaand she went there.

Did I ever say anything disparaging about Muslims? Or did I decry the culture that pervades their countries?

Vhayes
Feb 22nd 2011, 07:34 PM
Aaand she went there.

Did I ever say anything disparaging about Muslims? Or did I decry the culture that pervades their countries?

Aaaaaannnnd - WHAT IS THAT CULTURE?

If it's something other than Muslim, why use the Sharia stick?

moonglow
Feb 22nd 2011, 07:46 PM
I agree diggin...her employers should have known better and never sent her there. We don't know the situation on that. If she was told to go or lose her job..if she fully understood the danger or not. I think her employers along with the rapist should be held accountable for what happened to her.

Rape is used in many different cultures. In parts of Africa its used by different groups claiming or not claiming a religious belief...many times they are simply government soldiers. Its a way to control, terrorize the people and for many women it brings shame to the family and she can't be married. It ruins her from marriage and having children...which is the point. These groups don't want certain groups in Africa to have more children because its a genocide going on there. :(

And sadly in certain Muslim countries rape is acceptable. Rarely are any men ever charged because the women simply don't have any rights. :cry:

Fenris
Feb 22nd 2011, 07:55 PM
Aaaaaannnnd - WHAT IS THAT CULTURE? Arab/Muslim. Doesn't speak for the people, just their values system.

Or maybe you think all cultures are equal?

If it's something other than Muslim, why use the Sharia stick?
Because that's what they use. Just like the church in the middle ages used the NT as an excuse to burn heretics. That use has fallen out of favor because western culture changed.

Fenris
Feb 22nd 2011, 08:00 PM
V, seriously, the problem is not going to go away if it is not addressed. Pretending it doesn't exist isn't helping anyone.

Vhayes
Feb 22nd 2011, 08:17 PM
Arab/Muslim. Doesn't speak for the people, just their values system.

Or maybe you think all cultures are equal?

Because that's what they use. Just like the church in the middle ages used the NT as an excuse to burn heretics. That use has fallen out of favor because western culture changed.

You're talking in circles.

I am not defending rape. I am not defending Islam. I am not defending these men.

Where was your outcry when a 7 year old child was raped repeatedly by men her sister sold her to? That was in New Jersey - AND the child was not there of her own volition.

Fenris
Feb 22nd 2011, 08:21 PM
Where was your outcry when a 7 year old child was raped repeatedly by men her sister sold her to?
AKA "All people are equally bad".

When you find violent crime of this nature in this country, it's the exception. In the middle east, it's the majority.

Arab/Muslim countries need some serious introspection. Pretending that they have no problems and are "just as bad as anyone else" is not going to spur that introspection.

Vhayes
Feb 22nd 2011, 08:23 PM
AKA "All people are equally bad".

When you find violent crime of this nature in this country, it's the exception. In the middle east, it's the majority.

Arab/Muslim countries need some serious introspection. Pretending that they have no problems and are "just as bad as anyone else" is not going to spur that introspection.

The introspection seems to be coming in the form of uprisings. The regular folks are tired of the clerics and the princes.

Fenris
Feb 22nd 2011, 08:27 PM
The introspection seems to be coming in the form of uprisings. The regular folks are tired of the clerics and the princes.
Princes, yes. Clerics? Time will tell. Will they form genuine democracies with minority rights, including religious minorities, women and gays? Mind you, the aforementioned rape took place at a victory rally after their leader was run out of town.

ProjectPeter
Feb 22nd 2011, 08:27 PM
The introspection seems to be coming in the form of uprisings. The regular folks are tired of the clerics and the princes.Not sure that is the case. It's a lot like all of those nasty, stupid, immoral congressmen and senator's everyone talks about... you know... the other ones but not mine! I suspect we're fixing to find out that the mindset is the same over there by and large. There will be truly those who want to rid that mess from the politics of their nation but in the end... they are likely going to find themselves in the minority when the vote count is taken.

It's a weird situation over there. You have to admire the folks for taking the stand and the bravery it takes to do that in those places. Lybian folks are dying by the boatload for taking it. Apparently bodies of protestor's are all over the streets there now. Problem is though... even if they run the dude out of the country, chaos will rule and chaos is a bad ruler.

Fenris
Feb 22nd 2011, 08:46 PM
Not sure that is the case. It's a lot like all of those nasty, stupid, immoral congressmen and senator's everyone talks about... you know... the other ones but not mine! I suspect we're fixing to find out that the mindset is the same over there by and large. There will be truly those who want to rid that mess from the politics of their nation but in the end... they are likely going to find themselves in the minority when the vote count is taken.

Well these changes usually take a long period of time. It's not like the whole country is going to wake up one morning and cumulatively decide "Gee! Maybe women have feelings too and don't like it when they are forced to accept a male's physical overtures!".

Fenris
Feb 23rd 2011, 02:04 PM
Sigh. This can't lead anywhere good. They're chanting "To Jerusalem we are heading, Martyrs in the millions "

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ENKn5lDtLvE

NewInHim
Feb 23rd 2011, 03:49 PM
Fenris, is this from today? I am not finding it on any US news sites. Scary stuff.

Amos_with_goats
Feb 23rd 2011, 04:09 PM
Fenris, is this from today? I am not finding it on any US news sites. Scary stuff.

I believe it was posted on Youtube on the 19th of February.

Fenris
Feb 23rd 2011, 04:13 PM
Apparently Arabic speakers are disputing what is being said, so I can't vouch for it.

RevLogos
Feb 23rd 2011, 07:53 PM
Women are gang raped all over the world. It's wrong, no matter where it happens. Here in the US, we've had children as young as 7 gang rapped.

I would suggest that is a cultural problem too.

BTW, because the 15 year old girl kept changing her story, and there was no DNA evidence, all sex charges were dropped and everyone arrested has been plea bargained down to trespassing or child endangerment, and sentenced to time served and given probation.

Vhayes
Feb 23rd 2011, 10:59 PM

BTW, because the 15 year old girl kept changing her story, and there was no DNA evidence, all sex charges were dropped and everyone arrested has been plea bargained down to trespassing or child endangerment, and sentenced to time served and given probation.

Is this the New Jersey case? If so, I am thankful. Or at least I am if nothing happened.

Thanks, Rev. I had completely missed this.
v

moonglow
Feb 23rd 2011, 11:01 PM

Yea..what case are you talking about?

RevLogos
Feb 23rd 2011, 11:37 PM
Yea..what case are you talking about?

The New Jersey case, I think it was about April 2010. A search finds lots of articles about the event and reactions, and a few others about the father of the girl defending the men charged, but finding the plea deals was harder.

gringo300
Apr 23rd 2011, 05:29 AM
I've heard things about Egypt like what's termed female genital mutilation being performed upon 10-year old girls.

I'm not going to sit here and lie: The thought of people who do such things, or condone such things, spending eternity in Hell doesn't bother me one bit. You say that's an unChristian attitude? Then so be it. That is how I feel about it.