PDA

View Full Version : Information Bandwidth stealing, making it work for you.

ikester7579
Feb 19th 2011, 07:42 AM
Every site owner is going to have some people use pics off their site that loads from their site. I usually don't mind. The other day I went in and notice my bandwidth was way up. So I went into my awstats to see what was going on. A very high bandwidth site was using one of my pics to do a page.

I thought about blocking the website. But after looking at it, and it was not a hateful site. And it was not using my pic to twist truth. I decided to get some advertisement through their high bandwidth site. So I edited the pic and put my site address and site motto at the bottom of the pic. So now they steal bandwidth, I get free advertisement:lol:.

How much bandwidth? At over 1 million downloads of the pic I figure probably about 4 gigs worth, give or take a gig.

But I post this as an idea for someone if this happens to you. I estimate I got somewhere around 500-1000, maybe more, visitors because of this. This is because my stats are now what they usually are at the end of the month and over that amount as well. And we are only halfway through the month. To bad I did not notice this sooner because most of the views on the pic was done at the very beginning.

bdh
Feb 20th 2011, 05:53 AM
I've done the same thing before :D

Slina
Feb 20th 2011, 06:35 AM
Lol, never thought of doing it that way, but that's a pretty clever solution. :D

ikester7579
Feb 20th 2011, 10:48 PM
Here's the pic I altered, just to give an idea of what I did:
http://www.yecheadquarters.org/images/flat_earth.jpg

They were discussing the idea of flat earth and were relaying that it was not Christians who thought this up (which is the truth). That Washington Irving (atheist) added this to his book named: The voyages of Christopher Columbus. And later admitted to it not being true. He was trying to discredit the Christians at that time. Problem was, his book was deemed as historical, so his lie ended up in several educational books and got passed off as actual history.
http://www.yecheadquarters.org/flat_earth.html