PDA

View Full Version : Prayers for the dead.

Quickened
Feb 20th 2011, 03:10 PM
I am having a brainfart. I thought i remember Paul mentioning something about not praying for the dead.

But i cant seem to locate it through searching on esword. Could someone point me to the right direction

janitor
Feb 20th 2011, 03:29 PM
He did mention being baptized for the dead (1 Cor.15:29).

Servant89
Feb 20th 2011, 08:14 PM
I am having a brainfart. I thought i remember Paul mentioning something about not praying for the dead.

But i cant seem to locate it through searching on esword. Could someone point me to the right direction

I believe the (non-inspired) book of Maccabees documents people in Israel praying for the dead.

Rich people in the Catholic Church pay large sums of money to have someone offer prayers in the mass for their soul to get out of purgatory.

Psalm 49:6 They that trust in their wealth, and boast themselves in the multitude of their riches;
7 None of them can by any means redeem his brother, nor give to God a ransom for him:
8 (For the redemption of their soul is precious, and it ceaseth for ever.
9 That he should still live for ever, and not see corruption.

Money can not buy a soul out of purgatory or hell. That was the main issue about the indulgencies and the protestant reformation.

Shalom

Diggindeeper
Feb 20th 2011, 08:19 PM
If there is anything to support 'praying for the dead', I haven't found it.

Of course, I understand Catholics pray TO the dead, like Mary and Peter.

But to my way of thinking, it would do no good whatsoever to pray for the dead. Their 'day of salvation' is over, if they died without being in Christ. And for praying TO the dead, they can't help the living!

Servant89
Feb 20th 2011, 10:37 PM

But to my way of thinking, it would do no good whatsoever to pray for the dead. Their 'day of salvation' is over, if they died without being in Christ. And for praying TO the dead, they can't help the living!

Is 8:19 And when they shall say unto you, Seek unto them that have familiar spirits, and unto wizards that peep, and that mutter: should not a people seek unto their God? for the living to the dead?
20 To the law and the testimony, if they speak not according to this word, there is no light in them.

People do not turn to Gods when they die. People can not hear more than one conversation at a time, how can they hear more than one prayer to them?

Shall we go to the dead asking for stuff related to the living?

No.

Shalom

Quickened
Feb 20th 2011, 10:40 PM

Yeah. I think i made a mistake. I originally thought somewhere paul instructed people not to pray for the dead. I think i goofed that with Baptisms for the dead.
I was in a conversation with someone and anything i typed into E Sword produced no results! :lol: