PDA

View Full Version : John's 7 spirits of God in Rev. VS Paul's 'one Spirit' ???

Diggindeeper
Feb 22nd 2011, 07:49 AM
In Revelation, the '7 Spirits of God' are mentioned 4 times, found here:

Rev. 1:4
And unto the angel of the church in Sardis write; These things saith he that hath the seven Spirits of God, and the seven stars; I know thy works, that thou hast a name that thou livest, and art dead.

Rev. 3:1
And unto the angel of the church in Sardis write; These things saith he that hath the seven Spirits of God, and the seven stars; I know thy works, that thou hast a name that thou livest, and art dead.

Rev.4:5
And out of the throne proceeded lightnings and thunderings and voices: and there were seven lamps of fire burning before the throne, which are the seven Spirits of God.

Rev.5:6.
And I beheld, and, lo, in the midst of the throne and of the four beasts, and in the midst of the elders, stood a Lamb as it had been slain, having seven horns and seven eyes, which are the seven Spirits of God sent forth into all the earth.

And yet, there is this:
Ephesians 2:18
For through him we both have access by one Spirit unto the Father.

Ephesians 4:4
There is one body, and one Spirit, even as ye are called in one hope of your calling

I'm a little stumped here in the difference for the '7' and the '1' and how do we reconcile the two? Has anyone studied this extensively?

PneumaPsucheSoma
Feb 22nd 2011, 08:31 AM

And out of the throne proceeded lightnings and thunderings and voices: and there were seven lamps of fire burning before the throne, which are the seven Spirits of God.

And I beheld, and, lo, in the midst of the throne and of the four beasts, and in the midst of the elders, stood a Lamb as it had been slain, having seven horns and seven eyes, which are the seven Spirits of God sent forth into all the earth.

And yet, there is this:

There is one body, and one Spirit, even as ye are called in one hope of your calling

I'm a little stumped here in the difference for the '7' and the '1' and how do we reconcile the two? Has anyone studied this extensively?

There are several traditional possibilities:

• The Seven Spirits in Isaiah 11:2
Implausible, since there aren't really seven spirits. The pluralized list following the Spirit of the Lord seem to describe that one spirit.

• Seven Angelic Beings
Possibly the ones listed in Rev. 8:2 or 15:1. Possibly including Gabriel (Luke 1:19).

• Seven Annointed Men or Messengers
Possibly various annointed messengers to the 7 churches.

• The Seven Virtues of God
Courage, Justice, Temperance, Fortitude, Faith, Hope, Charity.

• The Complete Perfect One Holy Spirit
Symbolically referred to as 7, since 7 is the number of completion and represents perfection.

I hold to the last on this list. The perfect Spirit, who gave us the 5FM in Eph. 4 for the perfecting of the saints.

Diggindeeper
Feb 22nd 2011, 08:55 AM
Thanks! This gives me some thoughts to research. I REALLY do appreciate it. One question though, the seven virtues of God, would that be the same as attributes?

And also, I'm thinking about Rev. 5:6...that one is really a puzzler to me and somehow does not fit with the others. It seems it is speaking about Christ Jesus. And yet, it says the 7 spirits of God were "sent forth into all the earth", which would also mean to all 7 continents.

Strange, as much as I read the Bible, I'm mad at me for not wondering about this sooner. But perhaps it just was not the right time for me. I really do intend to search this out more and I sincerely appreciate your help! This does give me some good places to start my study.

PneumaPsucheSoma
Feb 22nd 2011, 09:34 AM
Thanks! This gives me some thoughts to research. I REALLY do appreciate it. One question though, the seven virtues of God, would that be the same as attributes?

And also, I'm thinking about Rev. 5:6...that one is really a puzzler to me and somehow does not fit with the others. It seems it is speaking about Christ Jesus. And yet, it says the 7 spirits of God were "sent forth into all the earth", which would also mean to all 7 continents.

Strange, as much as I read the Bible, I'm mad at me for not wondering about this sooner. But perhaps it just was not the right time for me. I really do intend to search this out more and I sincerely appreciate your help! This does give me some good places to start my study.

The virtues are from dunamis (G1411), which is inherent power, like that which went out of Him when the woman with the issue of blood touched the hem of His garment. It comes from the root that means able; it's His inherent abilities.

I hold that it represents the seven-fold Spirit. Hepta (G2033) is also used as such.

• The Spirit of Justification (1Corinthians 6:11)

• The Spirit of Sanctification (2Thessalonians 2:13)

• The Spirit of Life (Romans 8:2)

• The Spirit of Truth (John 14:17)

• The Spirit of Wisdom (Ephesians 1:17)

• The Spirit of Deliverance (Matthew 12:28)

• The Spirit of Prayer (Romans 8:26)

dan p
Feb 22nd 2011, 07:56 PM

And yet, there is this:

Hi diggindeeper , and this is what I see in Revelation .

The Seven spirits of God ( Rev 3:1 ) are angels ( Psa 104:4 ) , and the reference looks back to Rev 1:4 and 1:16 .

The seven stars are the same angels , for the word " and " in Greek can also be translated " even ' such that verse ONE can read , " He that hath the seven spirits of God , EVEN the seven stars ."

Christ is the speaker , and He possesses these seven angels to carry out His purpose . These are the angels to the seven Churches , in Rev 1:20 .

Please notice that Thyatira , is NOT a Church until the future and for that reason many felt that Revelation was not inspired .

#1 , First the Body of Christ is NOT found in Revelation .
#2 , The Revelation has to do with Tribulation and the Purging of the Nation of Israel .
#3 , The first 3 chapters are the History of the Nation of Israel as the Song of Solomon reveals , and has nothing to do with the Body of Christ ,

A , The Eph 4:4 passage written by Paul has to with the Dispensation o9f the Grace of God , ONLY .

B , Paul is the only one that speaks about the ONE BODY , ONE sPIRIT , One Lord , One Faith , and ONE BAPTISM fot the Age of Grace .

C , The Gospels are about Israel .

D , And Repentance and Baptism are allotted to Israel , only , dan p

Diggindeeper
Feb 23rd 2011, 02:00 AM
Well, looks like I have some sorting out to do! Back to my study and research........

Butch5
Feb 23rd 2011, 02:10 AM

And yet, there is this:

Hi Digging Deeper,

The way I understand it is that the seven Spirits are really seven aspects of the Spirit of God.

jeffweeder
Feb 23rd 2011, 04:02 AM
Their is one body/ Church of Christ, not 7, and one Spirit of God that is meant to fill all.

Revelation use of numbers are symbolic. The phrases, times time and half a time, 42 months, 1260 days are never used in the Epistles as well.