PDA

View Full Version : Matthew 6-27

Patriot
Feb 28th 2011, 12:24 AM
I have a parallel bible and have was reading Matthew 6-27...It says not to worry because it doesnt add to your life, that is the NIV version...In the KJV it mentions adding a cubicle to your stature...Is that the same thing? That sounds more like making you taller or bigger?

-SEEKING-
Feb 28th 2011, 12:36 AM
Yeah. It's pretty much the same things. Basically, worrying does NOTHING.

BroRog
Feb 28th 2011, 12:50 AM
I have a parallel bible and have was reading Matthew 6-27...It says not to worry because it doesnt add to your life, that is the NIV version...In the KJV it mentions adding a cubicle to your stature...Is that the same thing? That sounds more like making you taller or bigger?

The Greek word "helikian" can either be translated "life span", "mature", or "stature". I suspect all three are related to the growth of a child. The older a child gets, the taller he or she becomes. The literal question is, can a man add a foot to his height by worrying about it? Figuratively, the question is something like," Can a man add a year to his life by worrying about it?" What accounts for the various translations is whether the translator thought Jesus was speaking literally or figuratively. But since the answer is the same either way, the point is the same. Just as a man can't make himself taller by worry, he can't make himself live longer by worry, or do anything of any significance by worry, because worry doesn't change a thing as SEEKING has pointed out.

Patriot
Feb 28th 2011, 01:58 AM
Thanks a lot for the responses.