PDA

View Full Version : My Daily Bible Study - Colossians (2)

Frances
Mar 1st 2011, 05:10 PM
Colossians - regarding the Deity and all-sufficiency of Christ.

Colossians 1

What does the text say?- Paul gave thanks to God, the Father of our Lord Jesus Christ, and says he always prays for them, having heard of their faith in Christ and love for all God’s people, which comes from their confidence regarding their expectation of Heaven. The same Good News of God’s wonderful Grace is changing lives all over the world. Paul had heard from Epaphras of the love the Holy spirit had given them for others and asks God to give them the knowledge of His Will, wisdom and spiritual understanding, so their lives will produce good fruit and that they’d grow as they learned more of God, and they’d be strengthened with all His Power to have the endurance and patience they’ll need, and that they’ll be filled with joy; giving thanks to the Father for rescuing us from the kingdom of darkness and transferring us to the kingdom of His Son, who enabled our freedom. Christ is the visible image of the invisible God, He existed before anything was created, for through Him God created everything in heaven and earth, seen and unseen, and He holds everything together. Christ is the Head of the Church, which is His body. Through Christ God reconciled everything to Himself, making Peace with everything in heaven and earth by means of Christ’s blood shed on the cross. This includes you who were God’s enemies, separated from Him by evil thoughts and actions, but has now made you holy and blameless and above reproach in His sight - if you continue to believe the Good News. As Christ suffered so those faithfully sharing the Good New may suffer too. If Christ is in you, you have the hope of Glory. Paul preached about Christ warning and teaching everyone everywhere so he might present them to Him.

Application? – Do I pray regularly for those who are faithful to Christ? Do I encourage others by telling them of the faithfulness of other Christians? Do I pray that fellow Christians will be filled with the knowledge of God’s Will and with wisdom and spiritual understanding? Is my life worthy of Christ, bearing Fruit for Him? Is my knowledge of God increasing? Do I accept God’s Strength to be patient, longsuffering and joyful? Am I continuing to trust the Blood Jesus Christ shed on the cross to enable my Forgiveness? Am I living to please God? Do I rejoice when I suffer for sharing the Gospel and Truth of God’s Word?

Frances
Mar 3rd 2011, 05:19 PM
Colossians 2
What does the text say?- Paul said he had agonised for the Colossian, Laodicean and many other believers, wanting them to be encouraged and knit together by strong ties of love, and to have full understanding of the mysteries of God and Christ, in whom are hidden all the treasures of wisdom and knowledge, and is concerned that they might be deceived with persuasive arguments; he rejoices that their faith in Christ is strong. Just receiving Christ is not sufficient but continuing to follow Him is essential. Roots must go deep into Him and lives must be built on Him, then faith will grow strong in the truth Paul taught and you will abound with thanksgiving. Beware that you are not captivated by empty philosophy and nonsense that come from human thinking and spiritual powers of the world instead of from Christ, for in Him is all the fullness of God in bodily form. You also are complete through your union with Him who is the Head over all rulers and authorities. When you came to Christ your sinful nature was removed, for you were buried with Christ through baptism and raised to new life because you believed in the mighty Power of God. You were dead because of your sins, then God Forgave your sins and made you alive with Christ and destroyed the record of those sins, disarming the spiritual principalities and powers. Do not let anyone condemn you for what you eat or drink or for not celebrating ceremonies or Sabbaths. Do not let anyone condemn you by insisting on self-denial or the worship of intermediaries, saying they have had visions – a result of their proud minds which are not connected to Christ. You have died with Christ, which has freed you from the spiritual powers of the world, so why do you follow their rules? Those rules may seem wise because they require strong devotion, pious self-denial and severe bodily discipline, but they do not help to conquer evil desires.

Application? – Am I concerned about the spiritual welfare of people I’ve never met? Am I concerned that they do not believe human thinking that is opposed to God’s Word? Do I continue to learn more of the Power of each member of the Trinity? When I first trusted Christ to be my Saviour did I repent all Sin, allowing it to be completely cut out of my life? Have I taken part in ceremonies that have had no meaning for me at the time? Do I go through the actions of humility but with no heart-felt humility? Do I adhere to the authority of God’s Word? Or to the doctrines of men?

Quote:- (Henry H. Halley)”a philosopher sees in Christian thinking certain things that fit in with his philosophy, he accepts Christ and calls himself a Christian. But in his thinking certain of his philosophic abstractions are central, and Christ Himself personally is just a shadow in the background . . . but does not seem to have admiration or love for Christ personally.”

Frances
Mar 4th 2011, 05:19 PM
Colossians 3

What does the text say?- As you have been raised to new Life with Christ set your sights on the realities of Heaven where Christ sits at God’s right hand, not on earthly things. You have died to this life and your real life is with Christ in God, so put to death sinful thoughts. Have nothing to do with immorality, impurity, lust and evil desires, and do not be greedy which is idolatry, because of these things the anger of God is coming; you used to do those things but now it is time to get rid of anger, rage, , blaspheme and filthy language and lies and put on your new nature and be renewed as you learn to know your Creator and become like Him. Your nationality does not matter, Christ is all that matters and that He Lives in you. As God chose you clothe yourselves with tender-hearted mercy, kindness, humility, gentleness and patience. Make allowances for each other’s faults and forgive anyone who offends you. You must forgive each other as Christ Forgave you (Matt. 18:21-35). Above all else put on love and let the Peace of God rule your hearts. As a member of one body be thankful and let Christ’s Word, in all it’s richness, rule your lives. Teach and counsel others with the wisdom Christ gives. Sing to God with thankful hearts, and whatever you do or say do it as a representative of the Lord Jesus, giving thanks to God the Father through Him. Husbands, wives and children must live together in harmony, slaves must obey their earthly masters as though working for the Lord. God has no favourites so you will have to pay for the wrong you do.

Application? – Do I always live to please God? Do I allow ungodly thoughts or actions into my life? Removing what displeases God from my life may be very difficult but can be done if I am determined enough. As I have given my life to God through Jesus Christ I must live to please Him. No decisions must be made without the Peace of the Lord in my heart and mind. Wives will willingly obey husbands who demonstrate their love for them in practical ways; and children need encouragement. Is everything I do done to please Christ? If I do wrong I will suffer for it regardless of how many good things I have done.

Frances
Mar 5th 2011, 05:09 PM
Colossians 4
What does the text say?- Slaves must be treated fairly by their masters whose Master is in Heaven. Devote yourselves to prayer with an alert mind and thankful heart, particularly that opportunities, to speak of Christ, will be made and the Message be given clearly. Christians must live wisely among unbelievers making the most of every opportunity, and ensuring their conversations are gracious and attractive as they give the right responses. Tichicus, who Paul has sent with Onisimus, is a faithful minister, brother and servant of the Lord, who will tell what has happened. Aristarchus, who is also a prisoner sends greetings as does Barnabus’ cousin Mark and Justus, the only Jewish believers among Paul’s co-workers. Epaphras, who always prays for those in Colosse, Laodicea and Hierapolis, and Demas and Luke also send greetings. This letter must also be read in Laodicea and to the church that meets in Nympha(s) house, and those in Colosse must also read the letter sent to Laodicea. Aristarcus must be encouraged to fulfil the ministry the Lord has given him. Paul reminds his readers that he is in chains.

Application? – Do I treat those who work for me as I’d like God to treat me? Do I pray regularly thanking God and asking that He will make openings for His Word to be shared with others, and in the best way. Do I make use of every opportunity to share the Gospel? Is my speech always gracious while including a Christian witness where possible? Am I faithful to those who have shared the Word of God with me? Am I a comfort to other Christians? Am I concerned about Christians in other places?

Quote:- (David Pawson) – Epaphras was converted through Paul’s preaching and took the Gospel to his home town, Colosse . So Paul wrote to the church on the basis of the report he had received from Epaphrus . . . his lack of personal knowledge means he has no authority over them, . . . Paul is arguing against all the ideologies of the culture in which Colosse was placed . . . like the New Age it was more of a mood than a distinct faith . . . it could destroy the faith of the church for when the Christian faith is mingled with other faiths the message of Christ is no longer prominent.