PDA

View Full Version : Is man 3 parts?

-SEEKING-
Mar 3rd 2011, 03:02 AM
Just had an interesting conversation a little while ago in small group. We were actually talking about marriage but a question came up about how God created us. One of the members said that he recently learned that man is only made up of 2 parts and not 3 as God is. I have always learned it as man was 3. Body, Soul & Spirit.

So, what say ya'll?

Servant89
Mar 3rd 2011, 03:14 AM
Just had an interesting conversation a little while ago in small group. We were actually talking about marriage but a question came up about how God created us. One of the members said that he recently learned that man is only made up of 2 parts and not 3 as God is. I have always learned it as man was 3. Body, Soul & Spirit.

So, what say ya'll?

I think the term is either Dichotomy or Trichotomy, for 2 or 3 parts.

There is a group that says that when spirit enters body, that is called a soul. and as such man is made out of two parts. Those like JWs and Mormons believe that. I don't.

Man is 3 parts as 1Th 5:23 teaches. Heb 4:12 shows the soul is different from the spirit.

When man dies, the body always goes down, to dust. The spirit always goes up, to God. But the soul... it depends, is it saved or not saved?

When we get born again, God takes the spirit of man in us and replaces it with the Holy Spirit as Ezequiel prophesied.

Ezek 11:19 And I will give them one heart, and I will put a new spirit within you; and I will take the stony heart out of their flesh, and will give them an heart of flesh:

Ezek 18:31 Cast away from you all your transgressions, whereby ye have transgressed; and make you a new heart and a new spirit: for why will ye die, O house of Israel?

Ezek 36:26 A new heart also will I give you, and a new spirit will I put within you: and I will take away the stony heart out of your flesh, and I will give you an heart of flesh.

Shalom

-SEEKING-
Mar 3rd 2011, 03:23 AM
Thank you for your input Servant.

amazzin
Mar 3rd 2011, 03:37 AM
Yes man is tripartate...Body-Soul and Spirit

-SEEKING-
Mar 3rd 2011, 03:49 AM
Yes man is tripartate...Body-Soul and Spirit

Yeah. That's how I"ve always understood it. Thanks.

TomH
Mar 3rd 2011, 03:56 AM
Add my two cents worth.

Since Adam, who was created Body-Soul-Spirit,

man is born Body-Soul, but absent of Spirit (spiritually dead). Being born again, we receive a living spirit, and are indwelt by the Holy Spirit.

-SEEKING-
Mar 3rd 2011, 03:59 AM
Now THAT makes total sense Tom. That's what I was telling my small group buddy. Thanks for sharing.

Vhayes
Mar 3rd 2011, 04:03 AM
Three parts here as well - although only two till we are born of the spirit.

PneumaPsucheSoma
Mar 3rd 2011, 04:34 AM
"For as the body without the spirit is dead..." -James 2:26

Technically, man IS two parts: body and soul-spirit. The question is whether the soul-spirit is one or two. Hebrews 4:12 says they are distinct enough to respond to the word-sword; and 1Thess 5:23 is clear.

A body cannot live without a spirit (breath) oxygenating the blood (the soul-life of the flesh is in the blood) for the body. (James 2:26 above). During physical life, all three are present. Their condition, however, is related to salvation and sanctification.

A soul is emergent from spirit-body joining. (Gen. 2:7)

-SEEKING-
Mar 3rd 2011, 04:40 AM
Excellent input everyone. Thank you so much. I'm hoping to find some more scriptures that support this. One of the things he mentioned was that he was told that only 2 scriptures in the bible ever mention all 3. That's got to be wrong. There must be more than that.

TomH
Mar 3rd 2011, 04:43 AM
"For as the body without the spirit is dead..." -James 2:26

Technically, man IS two parts: body and soul-spirit. The question is whether the soul-spirit is one or two. Hebrews 4:12 says they are distinct enough to respond to the word-sword; and 1Thess 5:23 is clear.

A body cannot live without a spirit (breath) oxygenating the blood (the soul-life of the flesh is in the blood) for the body. (James 2:26 above). During physical life, all three are present. Their condition, however, is related to salvation and sanctification.

A soul is emergent from spirit-body joining. (Gen. 2:7)

So are you suggesting that all living things must have a spirit?

PneumaPsucheSoma
Mar 3rd 2011, 04:50 AM
Excellent input everyone. Thank you so much. I'm hoping to find some more scriptures that support this. One of the things he mentioned was that he was told that only 2 scriptures in the bible ever mention all 3. That's got to be wrong. There must be more than that.

He's correct. But there's only one scripture that says Jesus loves the Father (John 14:31). How many times does something have to be in the Word to be true?

The spirit and soul are referred to separately many times. Wouldn't that count?

That's one of the more ignorant things I've heard. (No offense.)

CommanderRobey
Mar 3rd 2011, 04:51 AM
The Apostle Paul certainly saw man as being body AND soul AND spirit in 1 Thessalonians 5:23

1 Thessalonians 5:23 And the very God of peace sanctify you wholly; and I pray God your whole spirit and soul and body be preserved blameless unto the coming of our Lord Jesus Christ.

-SEEKING-
Mar 3rd 2011, 04:52 AM
He's correct. But there's only one scripture that says Jesus loves the Father (John 14:31). How many times does something have to be in the Word to be true?

The spirit and soul are referred to separately many times. Wouldn't that count?

That's one of the more ignorant things I've heard. (No offense.)
Great point on John 14:31.

Yes that would certainly count.

I'd have to agree with you. (None taken)

Vhayes
Mar 3rd 2011, 04:53 AM
Here's the way I always understood it.

God breaths His spirit into all living beings upon birth. This is what gives them "life" or animation. It is only upon being born of the Holy Spirit (by choice) that a person has eternal life.

That's basic but there ya have it. I don't even know whether I was "taught" that or if i arrived at it on my own.

-SEEKING-
Mar 3rd 2011, 04:55 AM

(Coughing) Derail alert! (more coughing)

(Seriously where are my cough drops)

PneumaPsucheSoma
Mar 3rd 2011, 04:55 AM

No. We are speaking of man. I just quoted scripture. The reference for life (soul) in the blood is Lev. 17:11.

TomH
Mar 3rd 2011, 04:56 AM
The Apostle Paul certainly saw man as being body AND soul AND spirit in 1 Thessalonians 5:23

1 Thessalonians 5:23 And the very God of peace sanctify you wholly; and I pray God your whole spirit and soul and body be preserved blameless unto the coming of our Lord Jesus Christ.

And were the Thessalonians born again?

PneumaPsucheSoma
Mar 3rd 2011, 04:58 AM

Amen, and So Be It.

PneumaPsucheSoma
Mar 3rd 2011, 05:06 AM
Look at...

Eccl. 3:21
Eccl. 12:7

-SEEKING-
Mar 3rd 2011, 05:07 AM
Look at...

Eccl. 3:21
Eccl. 12:7

Very good. Thank you so much.

TomH
Mar 3rd 2011, 05:10 AM
Then perhaps you can tell me what exactly needs to be born again.

John 3:3
Jesus answered and said unto him, Verily, verily, I say unto thee, Except a man be born again, he cannot see the kingdom of God.

PneumaPsucheSoma
Mar 3rd 2011, 05:16 AM
In Hebrews 4:12, the soul-spirit, joints-marrow can only be divided asunder (separated, partitioned, distributed) by the word.

Marrow produces the blood. The life (soul) of the flesh is in the blood (Lev. 17:11). The joints are the movable members of the body. Joints-marrow refers to body-soul.

The word pierces to the divinding asunder of soul-spirit, soul-body. The soul is separated and distributed from both the body and spirit.

PneumaPsucheSoma
Mar 3rd 2011, 05:23 AM
Then perhaps you can tell me what exactly needs to be born again.

John 3:3
Jesus answered and said unto him, Verily, verily, I say unto thee, Except a man be born again, he cannot see the kingdom of God.

His body and soul and spirit. Adamic death in the body passed to the soul which tainted the spirit. The spirit was separated (thanatos - death) from the life of the Spirit.

I could go on in great detail, but I don't think you'll receive it from me. :-)

TomH
Mar 3rd 2011, 05:31 AM
In Hebrews 4:12, the soul-spirit, joints-marrow can only be divided asunder (separated, partitioned, distributed) by the word.

Marrow produces the blood. The life (soul) of the flesh is in the blood (Lev. 17:11). The joints are the movable members of the body. Joints-marrow refers to body-soul.

The word pierces to the divinding asunder of soul-spirit, soul-body. The soul is separated and distributed from both the body and spirit.

I can understand the gist of your statement.

I simply believe that what separates man from animal is the fact that animals have body and soul (mind), free will.

Adam was pierced to the dividing asunder by the Word. The spirit was separated from body and soul.

We are born again, of the spirit and by the Spirit.

PneumaPsucheSoma
Mar 3rd 2011, 06:22 AM
I can understand the gist of your statement.

I simply believe that what separates man from animal is the fact that animals have body and soul (mind), free will.

Adam was pierced to the dividing asunder by the Word. The spirit was separated from body and soul.

We are born again, of the spirit and by the Spirit.

I think you're saying man is only body-soul until born again; then man receives the Spirit in place of the one that... left the body-soul because it died? I may not be properly tracking.

The body without the spirit is dead (nekros, not thanatos).

There are many who believe that the body-soul are spiritless, awaiting His Spirit at the new birth. They would have to interpret James 2:26 as referring to the second death.

I disagree based on the propagation of souls. A soul is emergently derived from spirit-body joining.

CommanderRobey
Mar 3rd 2011, 07:44 AM
And were the Thessalonians born again?
Those to whom Paul wrote the epistles to were indeed born again. His greeting states that he was writing to the Church that was in God and in Christ Jesus. Also, Paul states that they had turned from idols to serve the living God.

CommanderRobey
Mar 3rd 2011, 07:50 AM
Man has a spirit before Salvation.

Psalms 34:18 The LORD is nigh unto them that are of a broken heart; and saveth such as be of a contrite spirit.

-SEEKING-
Mar 3rd 2011, 10:39 AM
Man has a spirit before Salvation.

Psalms 34:18 The LORD is nigh unto them that are of a broken heart; and saveth such as be of a contrite spirit.

I believe this scripture, though it has the word spirit, is referring more to the attitude of the person. Perhaps?

TomH
Mar 3rd 2011, 02:13 PM
I'm a little rushed for time, but I did want to throw this in before the thread went much further. I'll post later this evening with Scripture supporting my view, but quickly,

Three types of spirits.
Mans spirit
Demonic spirit

Gods Holy Spirit.

If man were born spiritually at birth, his sprit would be corrupt, being born in sin. Therre is a place in mans inner being where a spirit may take up residence.

There are many places in Scripture where man is possessed by evil spirits (demons) that take control of the soul/body.
If man were born spiritually corrupt, I could perhaps buy into him being demon possessed. Either way corrupt is corrupt.

We are said to be born again (I believe this to mean spiritually) but there is no Scriptue that says mans spirit has been reborn, from corrupt to pure, or absent of the original sin.
We are born again, spiritually, from the Father and not of Adam.

After salvation, we are indwelt by the Holy Spirit. He takes up residence in that inner space. If mans spirit were born of Adam (corrupt) the Holy Spirit would not indwell that inner place. Matter, antimatter. One, (corrupted spirit) would be destroyed.

Born again Christians cannot be demon possessed for the same reason.

Salvation, demon possession, Adams original sin, born again, are all of the spirit.

Either corrupted demonic spirit possessed, or born again, from the Father spirit which is seen as righteous (without the inherited sin of Adam) and indwelt by the Holy Spirit.

Final judgment sees lost souls, without spirit, and God sees no righteousness in them.

He sees saved souls with spirits born again, from the Father, and they are seen as righteous.

(Film at eleven)

Thanks

David Taylor
Mar 3rd 2011, 02:20 PM
The difficulty in this topic, and why often many cultic groups spin into bad doctrine with parts of it, is because of the inconsistency of the use of the words.

Sometimes scripture uses the word "soul" to denote the body only, the spirit only, the body-spirit unit, a different immaterial aspect of a person differentiated from the spirit.

Likewise, scripture uses the word "spirit" to denote the 'breathe of life' (lifeforce) within a person, as well as the immaterial personhood (sentient, conscious, aware) part of a person.

Because of these differing uses throughout the scriptures, and the inconsistent uses of those two words, it makes it more difficult to get a clear grasp at times, of what the intent and context of a particular passage is trying to achieve.

Sometimes scriptures comes across making 3 distinctions(material, lifeforce, personality); sometimes it comes across making only two distinctions (material and immaterial). That's where the debate takes over, in trying to determine exactly how the non-material aspects and parts etc...exactly work and inter-react.

PneumaPsucheSoma
Mar 3rd 2011, 03:54 PM
The difficulty in this topic, and why often many cultic groups spin into bad doctrine with parts of it, is because of the inconsistency of the use of the words.

Sometimes scripture uses the word "soul" to denote the body only, the spirit only, the body-spirit unit, a different immaterial aspect of a person differentiated from the spirit.

Likewise, scripture uses the word "spirit" to denote the 'breathe of life' (lifeforce) within a person, as well as the immaterial personhood (sentient, conscious, aware) part of a person.

Because of these differing uses throughout the scriptures, and the inconsistent uses of those two words, it makes it more difficult to get a clear grasp at times, of what the intent and context of a particular passage is trying to achieve.

Sometimes scriptures comes across making 3 distinctions(material, lifeforce, personality); sometimes it comes across making only two distinctions (material and immaterial). That's where the debate takes over, in trying to determine exactly how the non-material aspects and parts etc...exactly work and inter-react.

Exactly. Which is why extensive, specific prayer and fasting is vital when studying the Word. Many views of anything can come from the text, as shown in the modern church landscape.

PneumaPsucheSoma
Mar 3rd 2011, 03:59 PM
I'm a little rushed for time, but I did want to throw this in before the thread went much further. I'll post later this evening with Scripture supporting my view, but quickly,

Three types of spirits.
Mans spirit
Demonic spirit

Gods Holy Spirit.

If man were born spiritually at birth, his sprit would be corrupt, being born in sin. Therre is a place in mans inner being where a spirit may take up residence.

There are many places in Scripture where man is possessed by evil spirits (demons) that take control of the soul/body.
If man were born spiritually corrupt, I could perhaps buy into him being demon possessed. Either way corrupt is corrupt.

We are said to be born again (I believe this to mean spiritually) but there is no Scriptue that says mans spirit has been reborn, from corrupt to pure, or absent of the original sin.
We are born again, spiritually, from the Father and not of Adam.

After salvation, we are indwelt by the Holy Spirit. He takes up residence in that inner space. If mans spirit were born of Adam (corrupt) the Holy Spirit would not indwell that inner place. Matter, antimatter. One, (corrupted spirit) would be destroyed.

Born again Christians cannot be demon possessed for the same reason.

Salvation, demon possession, Adams original sin, born again, are all of the spirit.

Either corrupted demonic spirit possessed, or born again, from the Father spirit which is seen as righteous (without the inherited sin of Adam) and indwelt by the Holy Spirit.

Final judgment sees lost souls, without spirit, and God sees no righteousness in them.

He sees saved souls with spirits born again, from the Father, and they are seen as righteous.

(Film at eleven)

Thanks

That can all be outlined differently. Instead, I will listen.

divaD
Mar 3rd 2011, 04:10 PM
I think the term is either Dichotomy or Trichotomy, for 2 or 3 parts.

There is a group that says that when spirit enters body, that is called a soul. and as such man is made out of two parts. Those like JWs and Mormons believe that. I don't.

Man is 3 parts as 1Th 5:23 teaches. Heb 4:12 shows the soul is different from the spirit.

When man dies, the body always goes down, to dust. The spirit always goes up, to God. But the soul... it depends, is it saved or not saved?

When we get born again, God takes the spirit of man in us and replaces it with the Holy Spirit as Ezequiel prophesied.

Ezek 11:19 And I will give them one heart, and I will put a new spirit within you; and I will take the stony heart out of their flesh, and will give them an heart of flesh:

Ezek 18:31 Cast away from you all your transgressions, whereby ye have transgressed; and make you a new heart and a new spirit: for why will ye die, O house of Israel?

Ezek 36:26 A new heart also will I give you, and a new spirit will I put within you: and I will take away the stony heart out of your flesh, and I will give you an heart of flesh.

Shalom

Since the spirit goes back to God who gave it, and that the soul can go either direction, wouldn't that mean that the spirit was an outside source, and not part of our original makeup? When God made man out of dust, did He also make their spirit out of dust? Was not man already body and soul when made of dust, yet lifeless until God breathed the breath of life into the nostrils? Wouldn't the breath of life be the spirit?
Doesn't this still mean that the soul and spirit are not the same thing?

TomH
Mar 3rd 2011, 04:31 PM
Since the spirit goes back to God who gave it, and that the soul can go either direction, wouldn't that mean that the spirit was an outside source, and not part of our original makeup? When God made man out of dust, did He also make their spirit out of dust? Was not man already body and soul when made of dust, yet lifeless until God breathed the breath of life into the nostrils? Wouldn't the breath of life be the spirit?
Doesn't this still mean that the soul and spirit are not the same thing?

1. Genesis 2:7
And the LORD God formed man of the dust of the ground, and breathed into his nostrils the breath of life; and man became a living soul.

divaD
Mar 3rd 2011, 07:00 PM
And the LORD God formed man of the dust of the ground, and breathed into his nostrils the breath of life; and man became a living soul.

I notice that you have breath of life underlined, but since I can't read minds, I'm not exactly certain of your point? Could you clarify what your point is in relation to? Thanks.

episkopos
Mar 3rd 2011, 08:12 PM
We are made up of 3 parts. Body, soul and spirit.

Marriage is the joining of the flesh not the souls. The souls are God's exclusively. We are not to have soulmates like Adam and Eve were...we are to have Spirit-mates!!!!

TomH
Mar 3rd 2011, 10:33 PM
I notice that you have breath of life underlined, but since I can't read minds, I'm not exactly certain of your point? Could you clarify what your point is in relation to? Thanks.

Formed man of the dust, (body). Breathed the breath of life, (spirit). Became a living soul. (spirit filled soul).

Servant89
Mar 3rd 2011, 10:53 PM
SPIRIT SOUL – BODY ...... If you are tired of hearing man's opinions and want the WORD of GOD on this subject ... Bon Appetite !

1. The spirit of man is not the soul of man.

HEB 4:12 For the word of God is quick, and powerful, and sharper than any twoedged sword, piercing even to the dividing asunder of soul and spirit, and of the joints and marrow, and is a discerner of the thoughts and intents of the heart.

1TH 5:23 And the very God of peace sanctify you wholly; and I pray God your whole SPIRIT and SOUL and BODY be preserved blameless unto the coming of our Lord Jesus Christ.

ISA 57:16 For I will not contend for ever, neither will I be always wroth: for the spirit should fail before me, and the souls which I have made.

2. The spirit of man is always in line with godliness, and that is why it is at war with the flesh. The spirit will always take the side of the Bible, that is how the word of God is capable of separating the spirit from the soul.

GAL 5:17 For the flesh lusteth against the Spirit, and the Spirit against the flesh: and these are contrary the one to the other: so that ye cannot do the things that ye would.

http://t2.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQs7eCzoDtY7oTXzpkXlgu3GBVoGnuuH kzjFYDLgsjQZoZX6vIn
...........SPIRIT - SOUL - BODY

MAL 2:16 For the LORD, the God of Israel, saith that he hateth putting away: for one covereth violence with his garment, saith the LORD of hosts: therefore TAKE HEED TO YOUR SPIRIT, THAT YE DEAL NOT TREACHEROUSLY.

ISA 30:1 Woe to the rebellious children, saith the LORD, that take counsel, but not of me; and that cover with a covering, but not of my spirit, that they may add sin to sin:

PRO 20:27 The spirit of man is the candle of the LORD, searching all the inward parts of the belly.

3. We are all born with a spirit that is different from the soul. The spirit of man is what makes people feel guilty and cautions us not to do wrong (some more than others). Animals do not feel guilty. People do, even those going to hell like Judas, feel guilty.

PRO 24:20 For there shall be no reward to the evil man; the candle of the wicked shall be put out.

JOB 18:5 Yea, the light of the wicked shall be put out, and the spark of his fire shall not shine.

4. When we are born again, God takes the spirit of man that was in us and he gives us his Holy Spirit instead. This was prophesied in the OT and that is why Jesus asked Nicodemus: “You are a teacher in Israel and you do not know this?” John 3:10.

EZE 36:26 A new heart also will I give you, and a new spirit will I put within you: and I will take away the stony heart out of your flesh, and I will give you an heart of flesh.

EZE 36:27 And I will put my spirit within you, and cause you to walk in my statutes, and ye shall keep my judgments, and do them.

5. The Spirit of man (1Cor 14:32) and the body of man (1Cor 9:27) are subject to the soul of man.

1CO 9:27 But I keep under my body, and bring it into subjection: lest that by any means, when I have preached to others, I myself should be a castaway.

1CO 14:32 And the spirits of the prophets are subject to the prophets.

6. The spirit is the light of God in mankind. The spirit sounds an alarm when people commit sin. Animals do not feel guilty of sin. Because the spirit points to God and the flesh points to sin, that is why they are contrary to one another. We need to take heed to our spirit and listen to him.

GAL 5:17 For the flesh lusteth against the Spirit, and the Spirit against the flesh: and these are contrary the one to the other: so that ye cannot do the things that ye would.

MAL 2:15 … Therefore take heed to your spirit, and let none deal treacherously against the wife of his youth.
16 … therefore take heed to your spirit, that ye deal not treacherously.

7. When everyone dies, the flesh of everyone goes to the ground and the spirit of everyone goes to God. The state of the soul (where the soul goes) depends on whether the person is saved or not. But the end location of the body and spirit are fixed.

ECC 12:7 Then shall the dust return to the earth as it was: and the spirit shall return unto God who gave it.

Lk 23:46 And when Jesus had cried with a loud voice, he said, Father, into thy hands I commend my spirit: and having said thus, he gave up the ghost.

Shalom (more coming)

Servant89
Mar 3rd 2011, 10:54 PM
CONT ....

8. Rev 6:9 describes the souls of dead people in heaven (with no bodies, no spirit, but they are conscious and speaking to God).

9. We cannot convert the spirit to think like a devil nor can we change the flesh to think like the spirit. The only think we can convert is the soul. This is done with the Word of God (faith comes by hearing....)

PSA 19:7 The law of the LORD is perfect, converting the soul: the testimony of the LORD is sure, making wise the simple.

The spirit cannot go to hell. What can go to hell are the body and the soul.

ISA 10:18 And shall consume the glory of his forest, and of his fruitful field, both soul and body: and they shall be as when a standardbearer fainteth.

MAT 10:28 And fear not them which kill the body, but are not able to kill the soul: but rather fear him which is able to destroy both soul and body in hell.

The body cannot go to heaven, we will have a new body (spiritual) when we go to heaven because there is nothing good in our body of flesh.

2CO 5:1 For we know that if our earthly house of this tabernacle (our body) were dissolved, we have a building of God (spiritual body), a house not made with hands, eternal in the heavens.
2 For in this we groan, earnestly desiring to be clothed upon with our house which is from heaven:

1CO 15:50 Now this I say, brethren, that flesh and blood cannot inherit the kingdom of God; neither doth corruption inherit incorruption.

ROM 7:18 For I know that in me (that is, in my flesh,) dwelleth no good thing: for to will is present with me; but how to perform that which is good I find not.

GAL 6:8 For he that soweth to his flesh shall of the flesh reap corruption; but he that soweth to the Spirit shall of the Spirit reap life everlasting.

PSA 106:15 And he gave them their request (giving them meat for their bodies); but sent leanness into their soul.

10. There are 3 parts in man (saved or unsaved)

1TH 5:23 And the very God of peace sanctify you wholly; and I pray God your whole spirit and soul and body be preserved blameless unto the coming of our Lord Jesus Christ.

11. A wise man has his spirit on his strong side [his right] and the fool in his left side (the weaker side).

ECC 10:2 A wise man's heart is at his right hand; but a fool's heart at his left.

12. We need to see that the heart, according to the Bible is another name for the spirit of man (used sometimes interchangeable). Just like the physical heart gives life to the body, the spirit gives life to the soul by bringing God’s light to our mind/soul. See how the Bible interchanges these two words and the interchangeability becomes clear.

GEN 45:26 And told him, saying, Joseph is yet alive, and he is governor over all the land of Egypt. And Jacob's heart fainted, for he believed them not.
27 And they told him all the words of Joseph, which he had said unto them: and when he saw the wagons which Joseph had sent to carry him, the spirit of Jacob their father revived:

Did you see above how when he was referring to the heart of Jacob he was talking about the spirit of Jacob? On the next verses, you will see how giving the Holy Spirit to someone is referred in the Bible as giving him another heart. The Holy Spirit is a better, more stronger influence in our lives than our conscience (our spirit). After David was anointed with the Holy Spirit, the Bible says…

1SA 10:9 And it was so, that when he had turned his back to go from Samuel, God gave him another heart: and all those signs came to pass that day.
10 And when they came thither to the hill, behold, a company of prophets met him; and the Spirit of God came upon him, and he prophesied among them.

EZE 36:26 A new heart also will I give you, and a new spirit will I put within you: and I will take away the stony heart out of your flesh, and I will give you an heart of flesh.
EZE 36:27 And I will put my spirit within you, and cause you to walk in my statutes, and ye shall keep my judgments, and do them.

EZE 18:31 Cast away from you all your transgressions, whereby ye have transgressed; and make you a new heart and a new spirit: for why will ye die, O house of Israel?

Shalom

Caleb
Mar 3rd 2011, 11:47 PM
Luke 1:46 And Mary said, My soul doth magnify the Lord,
Luke 1:47 And my spirit hath rejoiced in God my Saviour.

Gen 2:7 And the LORD God formed man of the dust of the ground, and breathed into his nostrils the breath of life; and man became a living soul.

This "breath of life" is life from God, and not the life of God. Jesus said "I am the Life" and it is Him (the Life) that we receive when born anew.

From Gen 2:7, it would seem that we are two part, but the best way I was given to try and understand the three part was, If you take a light bulb, and then add electricity, then you get light.

As God is Spirit, then man needs to commune with God in spirit.
Again Jesus said "I am the Life" and we are to draw from Him who is the Life. The fall of man had separated man (spiritually) from the Life. Though man still has a spirit, it is dead (redundant, cut off) from communion with God who is Spirit.
I believe that man can still commune with other spirits, and that is why you have those who are mediums, and they that commune with familiar spirits etc: But because of sin the spirit of man is separated from God.
This is why we see God predominantly communing outwardly to man in the old testament. He took them by the hand and led them, but for regenerated Christians we are now predominantly led inwardly by the Spirit.

Servant89
Mar 4th 2011, 12:30 AM
Luke 1:46 And Mary said, My soul doth magnify the Lord,
Luke 1:47 And my spirit hath rejoiced in God my Saviour.

That one was out of my radar screen... Good one!!! Thanks !!!

Shalom