PDA

View Full Version : IMPORTANT Webnet77 Service upgrades

bdh
Mar 5th 2011, 04:39 PM
We are in the process of upgrading all servers from single point of failure drives to RAID 10 (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nested_RAID_levels#RAID_10_.28RAID_1.2B0.29). In order to do that, we need to move your website from the server it is presently on, to a new server with a RAID 10 setup. This will be completed over the course of the next 1-2 months as RAID servers become available.

What is the advantage/purpose of RAID?

RAID 10 (the RAID variant we have decided to use) uses two or more physical disk drives to store identical copies of data. Put simply, your Website is stored in real time across multiple drives and if one fails, nothing happens. A single point of failure can no longer cause your site to be offline.

Why is this being done?

Over the last 10 years, we have (fortunately) had very little down time. However, statistical analysis reveals that of the downtime we have had, almost all of it can be attributed to hard drive failure.

If a drive an a RAID array fails, it is simply replaced and the system will automatically rebuild it from one of the good drives and you won't even know there was a problem (whereas before, the server would need to be taken offline for a day or more to replace the drive and then to restore backups - a slow and tedious process. To make matters worse, backups were often days old causing loss of email and sometimes even the latest website data - especially true on message boards, blogs etc)

Will it cost more?

Yes, plenty. But us, not you - RAID hardware is expensive and pretty much doubles the cost of a server: at least double the drives required, expensive RAID controller, more power resulting in higher running costs, bigger cases for all the drives requiring in more floor space, more heat requiring larger AC units, the list is long. The good news is, it won't cost you anything. This is on us.

What do you need to do?

We will move all sites. There is only one thing you need to do -- make sure your PHP code on your site is up to date and that it is PHP 5.3.x ready.

If you built your site using FrontPage or Dreamweaver, Word, Notepad or anything else that uses plain HTML (not PHP), you are safe and don't need to upgrade anything.
If you are on the titus server, you are already running PHP 5.3.4 so you should have no problems. All other servers are running PHP 5.2.x and applications like WordPress, Joomla, Mambo, Drupal, SMF, PHPBB ... basically anything that runs PHP, must be upgraded to the latest version or it probably won't work correctly after the move. If you are not sure, please ask here and we will check for you.

FrontPage Sites

If you use FrontPage extensions, there is a strong possibility the move will temporarily break them. Your site will still work fine, but FrontPage (or Expressions) won't be able to publish to your site. However, it's easy to fix. (Once again once your site is moved and you are not sure what to do, just ask here and we'll do it for you):

Login to your control panel
Find the link to FrontPage Extensions

Click re-install FrontPage extensions.

Fantastico AND Softaculous

Previously we offered either Fantastico or Softaculous. New servers will have both. We recommend you try to use Softaculous only as at the time of writing it supports many more scripts than Fantastico and is a lot more secure in the way it does the installation.

Softaculous also has the following advantages over Fantastico:

More secure installs
Very helpful demo system - you can test drive any script without having to install it
It can update fantastico scripts (use the synchronize icon on the top right first to import into Softaculous)
Probably the most useful feature is the user review database that allows you to instantly read (or add your own comment) on any script.
At last count, Softaculous installs close to 180 different scripts. Way more than Fantastico.
Softaculous has several unique scripts. On that comes to mind is a video library script similar to YouTube.

One server has already been upgraded to RAID (two weeks ago) and the sites moved. The next move is scheduled to commence on Saturday March 26, 2011. Those affected have been emailed (on Saturday March 5).

Those receiving an email will receive a link to this thread. Please bookmark it as we will provide progress updates closer to the time here only.

If you have any questions before, during or after the migration, please post them here.

Please see later in this thread here (http://bibleforums.org/showthread.php/221850-Webnet77-Service-upgrades?p=2648183#post2648183) for most recent updates.

Slug1
Mar 5th 2011, 08:44 PM
Hooah !

amazzin
Mar 5th 2011, 08:44 PM
Only you!!!! Geshhhhhh

Hooah !

Slug1
Mar 5th 2011, 08:46 PM
Only you!!!! GeshhhhhhHehehe :lol:

bdh
Mar 26th 2011, 06:53 AM
Migration of the titus server has begun. Should you try to access your site while it is being moved, results will be unpredictable. We anticipate migration will continue throughout today and tomorrow.

Slug1
Mar 26th 2011, 12:58 PM
Thanks bdh... I'll check my mail client after you are done.

bdh
Mar 26th 2011, 05:44 PM
I just checked and your site has already been moved (and everything seems to be working fine) and your Personal control panel updated with the new details. We go alphabetically and yors starts with "a" so it was one of the first :)

If you ping it and it pings to 205.251.139.10, your DNS has updated.

bdh
Mar 27th 2011, 09:59 AM
The move of all sites on the "titus" server to "ruth" has been completed.

Please check the following

Front Page Extensions

If you use Front Page extensions, they most likely got broken in the move. To fix, you need to

a. login to your control panel and find the link to front page extensions.
b. Click it and on the next page you will see an option to re-install them.

Do that and it should fix it.

Be careful of multiple "index.xxx" files

If you have multiple "index" files, make sure you delete all but the one you use. For example, if you have an index.htm, index.html an index.php and an index.shtml the one that will be shown on this server is index.php. If you delete the index.php, index.html will be shown. This can get really confusing so make sure you only have one "index.xxx" file.

STATS programs

Stats programs (AWSTATS and Webalizer) are switched OFF by default. If you had them on before, cPanel should remember that and make the settings the same on the new server but it does not hurt to check:

To enable either or both AWSTATS or Webalizer:

a. Log into your control panel
b. Under "Logs", find the link to "Choose Log Programs"
c. On the next page, enable AWTATS (and/or Webalizer) by checking the boxes next to each of your domains
d. Click "Save" when done.
e. Wait 24 hours and your stats will appear.

PHP 5.3 Compatible

The server you were on before was already running PHP 5.3.x so you should be fine. However, if for some reason you see messages on your site like "_____ command depreciated", the most likely cause is the PHP code on your site is too old to run with PHP 5.3.x. To fix it, upgrade your PHP application to the latest version.

sallymander
Mar 27th 2011, 12:37 PM
So I have been doing a complete rework of my joomla site, www.homeschoolcrusaders.net in a separate folder /joomla15. The main site is up, but when I try to open up the front or back end of the /joomla15 site, i get this error: Database Error: Unable to connect to the database:Could not connect to database
As of last night at 11pm it was working properly.
I looked in the configuration.php file but didn't see anything there to change the server. What do I do??

Thanks so much!
Sally

**UPDATE** it started working. Thank you Jesus! :-D

bdh
Mar 27th 2011, 01:08 PM
I'm guessing it was just your DNS that needed to catch up.

Anyone else having this problem: here's a guide to flushing your local DNS resolver cache for different operating systems: http://www.techiecorner.com/35/how-to-flush-dns-cache-in-linux-windows-mac/

Kahtar
Mar 28th 2011, 04:40 PM
I tried to log in to my cPanel today, and it no longer recognizes me, so I can't access any of my sites.
I accessed them 2 days ago with no problem.

Slug1
Mar 28th 2011, 04:46 PM
I tried to log in to my cPanel today, and it no longer recognizes me, so I can't access any of my sites.
I accessed them 2 days ago with no problem.Did you change the URL from titus to ruth?

bdh
Mar 28th 2011, 05:33 PM
Did you change the URL from titus to ruth?

...That's what I was going to say :D

I accessed them 2 days ago with no problem.

Slug is correct - your control panel URL has changed (for secure login). For regular login it is still http://cpanel.Whatever-your-main-domain-is.com (note it must be your main domain. It does not work on add-on domains or parked domains).

Kahtar
Mar 28th 2011, 06:28 PM
This is the link I was using: https://titus.tld0.net:2083/
So the titus needs to change to ruth. anything else need to change?
The regular login worked btw.

Slug1
Mar 28th 2011, 06:34 PM
The regular login worked btw.That's all I did and it worked like a charm.

Kahtar
Mar 28th 2011, 06:45 PM
Okay, I tried it. It worked. Thank you.....:)

bdh
Mar 28th 2011, 06:52 PM

If you don't use mail on any of your domains, then you have done everything you need to do otherwise it depends on whether you get your email via regular POP/SMTP or via Secure (SSL) POP/SMTP.

If you use regular POP/SMTP

Nothing to do or to change.

If you use Secure (SSL) POP/SMTP

Your incoming and outgoing mail-server (in your mail client like Outlook or Eudora etc) would have been set to titus.tld0.net. That needs to change to ruth.tld0.net

Kahtar
Mar 28th 2011, 07:30 PM
Looks like I'm all good at this point. I'll have to take the time to look at the new toys in a while.