PDA

View Full Version : British Christian couple may not foster due to beliefs about homosexuality

NewInHim
Mar 5th 2011, 05:14 PM
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/religion/8353512/Foster-parent-ban-extreme-distress-of-anti-gay-Christians-over-ruling.html

Foster parent ban: 'extreme distress' of 'anti-gay' Christians' over ruling

A Christian couple, Eunice and Owen Johns, have spoken of their “extreme distress” after they were banned from becoming foster parents because of their faith-based opposition to homosexuality.

http://img64.imageshack.us/img64/1183/fost1837346c.jpg

The Telegraph
By Tim Ross, Religious Affairs Editor 7:15AM GMT 01 Mar 2011

The couple said they felt excluded for holding “normal, mainstream, Christian views” and had been willing to “love and accept any child”.

“All we were not willing to do was to tell a small child that the practice of homosexuality was a good thing,” the couple said after losing their case at the High Court.

During the 1990s, the Pentecostal Christian couple from Derby provided foster care for nearly 20 children.

But following the introduction of equality laws, they were blocked from fostering in 2007. Social workers said the couple’s belief that homosexuality is wrong meant they were not suitable to look after a child aged between five and eight.

On Monday two High Court judges backed Derby city council by ruling that homosexual rights “should take precedence” over the rights of Christians in fostering cases.

Mr and Mrs Johns, aged 62 and 65 respectively, said they were “shocked and disappointed” by the judgment.

Mrs Johns told The Daily Telegraph: “It is just one more blow for us. It seems a dark day for Christians.”

During the case, the Equality and Human Rights Commission, an official watchdog, suggested that the couple could attend a “re-education” programme, according to Mrs Johns.

“Why do we need to be re-educated? Because we believe that homosexuality is not right?” she said. “We said we would sit down and talk to the child to find out where it is coming from.

“They said, 'No, you would have to tell the child it is all right to be homosexual because there are too many children that are confused with their sexuality.’ We thought, yes, but at eight?”

Their case was handled by Lynda Williams, a social worker, who assessed Mr and Mrs Johns in June 2008, after the council invited them to reapply to become foster parents. The national shortage of carers stands at an estimated 10,000.

In her 48-page report on the couple, Miss Williams described them as “well-meaning” and “kind and hospitable people who would always do their best to make a child welcome and comfortable”.

However, she concluded: “Mr and Mrs Johns’ views on same sex relationships, which are not in line with the current requirements of the national standards, and which are not susceptible to change, will need to be considered when the panel reaches its conclusion.”

Lord Justice Munby and Mr Justice Beatson ruled that social workers were right to take the couple’s religious views into account. Under the current rules on fostering, introduced by the Labour government, councils and fostering agencies should ensure that children “are provided with foster care services which value diversity and promote equality”.

Foster carers should “recognise and address” the child’s needs, including in terms of their sexuality. Homosexual rights campaigners welcomed the ruling.

Ben Summerskill, the chief executive of Stonewall, the lesbian, gay and bisexual charity, said: “We’re delighted that the High Court’s landmark decision has favoured 21st century decency above 19th century prejudice.”

The Christian Legal Centre reacted to the judgment with dismay and warned that “fostering by Christians is now in doubt”.

doug3
Mar 5th 2011, 06:54 PM
Another example of the increasing marginalization and growing persecution of Christians in the UK :( (reflecting what is happening in other countries). Thank you for sharing this.

moonglow
Mar 6th 2011, 03:10 AM
But following the introduction of equality laws, they were blocked from fostering in 2007. Social workers said the couple’s belief that homosexuality is wrong meant they were not suitable to look after a child aged between five and eight.

On Monday two High Court judges backed Derby city council by ruling that homosexual rights “should take precedence” over the rights of Christians in fostering cases.

I am just dumbfounded..this doesn't even make any sense. Homosexually rights over the right of a child to have a good home is basically what its saying. And inspite of the HUGE shortage of foster care homes, they would keep children from this and probably many others simply over there views. wow! How insane is that?

I don't know how many five to eight year old's go around wondering if they are gay? I mean seriously? Considering less them 4% of the population is gay..this would be extremely rare.

Ben Summerskill, the chief executive of Stonewall, the lesbian, gay and bisexual charity, said: “We’re delighted that the High Court’s landmark decision has favoured 21st century decency above 19th century prejudice.”

er...who's being prejudice against whom here? :hmm:

During the case, the Equality and Human Rights Commission, an official watchdog, suggested that the couple could attend a “re-education” programme, according to Mrs Johns.

Wasn't that term used by Hitler for certain concentration camps? :eek:

So glad I don't live there but I will be on my knees praying for the UK cause its doing downhill fast..its very frightening for those living there. :( Praying for this couple too!

God bless

Ashley274
Mar 6th 2011, 06:49 AM
I heard about this on TV and was stunned and yet not by how messed up this world is anymore. Well, OK it always was but this is just WRONG

AndrewBaptistFL
Mar 6th 2011, 08:01 PM
Those poor people....but glory to God because of them! You know they could have just lied so that they could adopt a child, but nope. Praise God!

Athanasius
Mar 6th 2011, 08:12 PM
One more reason I love the UK, but will probably never move there :(

Warrior4God
Mar 10th 2011, 12:06 AM
I'm telling everybody here something. Mark my words. Homosexuals claim they want to be treated "equally" to heterosexuals and for homosexuality to be considered just as valid as heterosexuality. That's total garbage. Homosexuals, and their supporters, whether they'll admit it or not, want homosexuality to be treated by society as preferable to heterosexuality. Being gay is better than being straight. Gay is normal and straight is an abomination. People who believe this are so spiritually deceived and living in total darkness. They are reprobates. Sorry. That's blunt, I know.

Jeanne D
Mar 10th 2011, 01:46 PM
Woe to those who call evil good, and good evil;
Who substitute darkness for light and light for darkness;
Who substitute bitter for sweet and sweet for bitter! Isaiah 5:20

Jeanne

RabbiKnife
Mar 10th 2011, 02:14 PM
I'm sure the kids in the government run institution appreciate being protected from a lack of diversity.

RabbiKnife
Mar 10th 2011, 02:15 PM
Pondering....

Would we be OK with homosexuals (I'm talking openly flaming in your face homosexuals) being foster parents?

teddyv
Mar 10th 2011, 11:34 PM
Pondering....

Would we be OK with homosexuals (I'm talking openly flaming in your face homosexuals) being foster parents?

I would wonder if a flaming in-your face homosexual would want to be a foster parent? I would hope, short of a stunt, someone willing to take on a foster kid is aware that their personal desires have to take a back seat, or at least be curbed. I'm sure one could argue either way, since I think we've all come across stories of straight folks that somehow were allowed to be foster parents. Sorry that's a bit muddled and doesn't really answer the question.

Not quite fitting to the idea, but I have met one gay couple (men, and not flaming) who have adopted two native Indian kids. I have to admit that those kids will probably have a better, more stable environment than being left on the reserve.

Dani H
Mar 11th 2011, 02:41 AM
Why do we still act surprise if the world acts like ... well, the world??

Phish
Mar 11th 2011, 03:35 AM
Next stop is re-education for all parents who oppose anti-g*y agenda

matthew7and1
Mar 12th 2011, 02:00 PM
I'm sure the kids in the government run institution appreciate being protected from a lack of diversity.

I'm sure they find it far preferable to having any semblance of a normal home environment...
"What do you want for Christmas, Little Orphan Tommy?"
answer A:
"a culturally diverse atmosphere where where I can flourish without any semblance of a belief system, please!"
answer B:
"a family"

hmmmmmmmm

daughter
Mar 12th 2011, 03:03 PM
It's looking increasingly unlikely that Bible believing Christians will have the right to adopt. And I fear that once this precedent is settled in the public consciousness society will move on to check "thought crimes" amongst families who are related to one another. The day could come when Social Services could investigate a family and remove their children if the parents didn't tow the pc line on issues like homosexuality, abortion, etc.
And it was asked, can openly gay, ie flaming couples adopt. The answer is yes. I know a few such families in the UK. Two lesbian, one male homosexual. Nobody's checking to see if they're presenting heterosexuality as a positive life style.

Athanasius
Mar 12th 2011, 03:11 PM
Homosexuals, and their supporters, whether they'll admit it or not, want homosexuality to be treated by society as preferable to heterosexuality. Being gay is better than being straight.

Have you been reading Plato? ;)
(In other words, this is nothing new. Even in Plato, where homosexuality is viewed as contrary to nature, it is still set in an extremely positive light when pederastry is in view. And what better than an all male army that loves each other? I get the feeling this is the 'return to norm'.)