PDA

View Full Version : What are the characteristics of today's Christian?

Redeemed by Grace
Mar 5th 2011, 06:37 PM
What are the characteristics of today's Christian?

Can anyone list or describe what the qualities are, or the behavior of, or the lifestyle in being, or the works done by today's Christian man or woman?

And if possible, would every Christian hold the same characteristics and then are these characteristics exclusive to the Christian?

episkopos
Mar 5th 2011, 07:21 PM
I think there is a difference between Christians in the wealthy western countries and those of developing countries. A lot of believers in the latter group tend to look to the west in envy of our means and freedoms. But they are blessed in ways we are not. I think they have far less impediments to faith than we do.

I feel we are the church of Laodicea in the west, for the most part. I think we have turned to beliefs rather than a living faith.

The oppressed believers in places like China have a chance for a fuller experience of Christ than we do. I hope they look to Him rather than to us.

notuptome
Mar 6th 2011, 12:07 AM
I'm tempted to say something but the mods would probably have a stroke.

What kind of Christians would you like to describe?

Those who posess Christ are light and salt. Those who pretend are like the world. Modern Christians are shamefully hard to distinguish from worldly sinners except they have learned on the TV how to talk Christian.

Oh my that should be more than enough outta me.

For the cause of Christ
Roger

Butch5
Mar 6th 2011, 12:26 AM

Those who posess Christ are light and salt. Those who pretend are like the world. Modern Christians are shamefully hard to distinguish from worldly sinners except they have learned on the TV how to talk Christian.

For the cause of Christ
Roger

WOW, we are in agreement on something.

Redeemed by Grace
Mar 6th 2011, 01:17 AM

For the cause of Christ
Roger

Hi Roger.... I thing you should go for it and see what happens... :)

There are a lot of posts of late that speak about giving, and ministering, and what one reads and what one does, and how much one prays, and when one prays, and how long they pray and if you don't do like this then you're OK, and if you do this then maybe you are not... and so on.... so I though how about a thread to seek definition from the masses as to what kinda duck that talks like, what kinda duck that looks like, and what kinda duck that walks like -- as a Christian should look, talk and walk like... of today?

So shoot for the stars and let's get the party started. :spin:

ProjectPeter
Mar 6th 2011, 01:34 AM

For the cause of Christ
Roger
You're fine... you know where to draw the line so say away.

ProjectPeter
Mar 6th 2011, 01:38 AM

Can anyone list or describe what the qualities are, or the behavior of, or the lifestyle in being, or the works done by today's Christian man or woman?

And if possible, would every Christian hold the same characteristics and then are these characteristics exclusive to the Christian?

Characteristics are a lot of things from many folk that say they are Christians. Not enough characters available I don't suspect to name the various characteristics of today's "Christian."

Those that are in fact Christian's thus followers of Christ... a good guide to look at would naturally be 2 Peter 1: 1-11. If those traits are there and growing.. most wonderful. If not... we can at least call them fruitless.

Slug1
Mar 6th 2011, 02:04 AM
What are the characteristics of today's Christian? To be in obedience to God.

Can anyone list or describe what the qualities are, or the behavior of, or the lifestyle in being, or the works done by today's Christian man or woman? Be in obedience to God and the qualities, behavior, lifestyle, and works will be of God in/through a person who is Christian.

And if possible, would every Christian hold the same characteristics and then are these characteristics exclusive to the Christian?Being in obedience to God is always exclusive to Christians.

The difference is when one Christian is told by God to go and pray over people for healing, another Christian is given a message and to preach, another to go out into the world or even out onto the street and evangelize, etc, etc, etc...

We look different too, different genders, ages, races, sizes, colors, styles, accents... but in obedience to God, all display in one way or another, all you ask about.

Oh, some of us are not always obedient and then God lifts us up by our ankles, shakes us till we get the corrective point(s) that He's making as we walk and mature (milk to meat) and then He drops us on our head so we don't forget the lesson :rolleyes:.... BE OBEDIENT. Trust God and exercise that faith we are given. He's not gonna tell us to do something He's ALSO not gonna empower us to do.

Christians allow God to do the work as He increases the Kingdom of God, that is the fruit that is bountiful and of God. No limitations because nothing is impossible for God and all He needs are those obedient to Him and the impossible is done.

BroRog
Mar 6th 2011, 02:30 AM

And if possible, would every Christian hold the same characteristics and then are these characteristics exclusive to the Christian?My answer to this would depend on how loosly we define "Christian".

Christian[follower] = a follower of Jesus Christ, one who has a circumcised heart and is being led by the Holy Spirit.

- or -

Christian[religious] = a religious person who attends church each Sunday and affirms the creeds and tenets of the Christian faith, but not necessarily a "Christian" in the sense defined above.

I can't personally vouch for this, but I have been told by those I trust that the Christian[religous] of today fall into two groups: 1) "Pharisee" like or 2) Worldly Christians.

Christian[religious] Pharisee

While these folks affirm that salvation is by grace alone and they affirm all the other tenents of the Christian faith, what they say and what they do are two different things. The Christian Pharisee takes pride in his accomplishments for the Lord. He measures himself against other Christians according to his good works and how well he mimics what a good Christian should look like, according to a conventional standard common among his Christian community. The problem with Christian Pharisee isn't that he practices good works or that he lives an ethical life or that he is charitable with his donations and etc. His problem is that he thinks this makes him better than other Christians. God is more pleased with him than those who fail at such things. Those who do such things, these men think, have fellowship with God, while other Christians don't. This is a challenge and a problem and a temptation to be avoided.

Christian[religious] Worldly
For this section I quote from a paper wrttten by my friend and mentor, Jack Crabtree in his paper Up with Legalism! http://www.mckenziestudycenter.org/theology/articles/legal.html

Things began to change in the '60s, and a new counterfeit began to dominate. This counterfeit was not characterized by legalism and self-righteousness, but by "worldliness." It transformed the gospel. No longer was the gospel a hope for righteousness in the eternal kingdom to come; it was the hope for pleasure, happiness, and success in this world now. What was Jesus sent into the world to do? The counterfeit says He came to give me power to overcome my present problems, to give me every desire of my heart now, and to eliminate the pain and emptiness of my present existence. This counterfeit is insidiously evil, every bit as evil as the Folk Christianity it is replacing--and just as destructive.

Redeemed by Grace
Mar 6th 2011, 02:39 AM
That wasn't so bad after all.... :)

awestruckchild
Mar 6th 2011, 04:54 AM
The christians that I have personally met and come to know and love, for the most part flabbergast me.
They have so many worries and I have very few and I find myself almost constantly wondering why they worry so much about their jobs, their retirement accounts, their health. The majority of them have much more "financial security" than I do, yet they worry so much more about this than I do.
They seem to lose what peace they have so quickly based on what circumstance they come up against. They can't seem to keep from panicking at the least little snag. They don't seem to be able to have deep peace and trust and be able to wait on God or to suffer even the least bit of discomfort by things not being perfect for a time.
They seem to have become stunted or something, in their spiritual growth.
They love Jesus and they say they trust Him completely, but when something goes "wrong", they fall apart and lose all peace.
It is painful to me to watch and I wish I could help them.

Brendac
Mar 6th 2011, 05:03 AM
Oh how I so envy you Awestruckchild! I used to be like that, however, last year was such a disaster with even our pastor walking out on us. I felt like my whole heart had been ripped out and am still battling to recover and so are many others in the church. I will be ever so grateful for some good solid advice here.

ProjectPeter
Mar 6th 2011, 05:07 AM
The christians that I have personally met and come to know and love, for the most part flabbergast me.
They have so many worries and I have very few and I find myself almost constantly wondering why they worry so much about their jobs, their retirement accounts, their health. The majority of them have much more "financial security" than I do, yet they worry so much more about this than I do.
They seem to lose what peace they have so quickly based on what circumstance they come up against. They can't seem to keep from panicking at the least little snag. They don't seem to be able to have deep peace and trust and be able to wait on God or to suffer even the least bit of discomfort by things not being perfect for a time.
They seem to have become stunted or something, in their spiritual growth.
They love Jesus and they say they trust Him completely, but when something goes "wrong", they fall apart and lose all peace.
It is painful to me to watch and I wish I could help them.

When you see them... just remind them to keep on praising Jesus. You'd be surprised how often that gets someone's focus back in the right area.

gringo300
Mar 6th 2011, 09:30 AM
I've often been told that an unsaved person should be able to look at a Christian and tell that the Christian has something good they don't.

While I believe that's true, I also believe, and just as much, that an unsaved person should be able to look at a Christian and tell that the Christian DOESN'T have something BAD that they DO have.

I'm not saying a Christian doesn't still have a sin nature. Unfortunately, a Christian WILL still have a sin nature. BUT if a person says they've gotten saved, and people who knew them before they claim they got saved can't tell a difference, something's wrong.

(Well, I hope that's at least SOMEWHAT on topic for the thread.)

Vhayes
Mar 6th 2011, 03:17 PM
The characteristics of the Christian today as well as in times past should be:
love, joy, peace, patience, kindness, goodness, faithfulness, gentleness, self-control

Dani H
Mar 6th 2011, 03:42 PM
The characteristics of the Christian today as well as in times past should be:
love, joy, peace, patience, kindness, goodness, faithfulness, gentleness, self-control

Yup, a disciple is a disciple is a disciple is a disciple. Jesus is still the same, as are His followers. Which is why the Bible applies today as much as it did 2000 years ago.

notuptome
Mar 7th 2011, 01:24 PM
The key is 2 Cor 5:17 If any man be in Christ he is a new creature old things are passed away and all things are become new.

If there is no newness there is no salvation. If something as big as the devil goes out and something as big as Christ comes in there must be an eternal change.

One hundred years ago when an evangelist came to town and preached in a tent or other venue there would be folks saved and the whole town changed. Bars closed and churches were filled with new Christians needing discipling. (Side issue is the failure to disciple these converts) Men were so convicted of their sin that many became physically ill and literally dove at the altar or mourners bench when the invitation to come for counciling for salvation. Why has the distinction of sin been lost? Why do Christians tolerate sin? Fear of being seen as legalists? Or love for sin in their hearts? It is getting so you cannot tell the Christians from the sinners without a score card. The purity and holiness of the believer is a quality that is scarce in todays modern Christian. All those things we love to argue about like drinking, smoking, rock music, dancing, divorce with remarriage, and women in the pastorate to name but a few. The good old arguments are well worn...nothing in the bible specifically prohibits many of these but the proof is in the pudding. Salt with no savor, light under a basket. There is a cost to be a disciple that many are not even willing to consider.

For the cause of Christ
Roger

Slug1
Mar 7th 2011, 02:07 PM
The key is 2 Cor 5:17 If any man be in Christ he is a new creature old things are passed away and all things are become new.

If there is no newness there is no salvation. If something as big as the devil goes out and something as big as Christ comes in there must be an eternal change.

One hundred years ago when an evangelist came to town and preached in a tent or other venue there would be folks saved and the whole town changed. Bars closed and churches were filled with new Christians needing discipling. (Side issue is the failure to disciple these converts) Men were so convicted of their sin that many became physically ill and literally dove at the altar or mourners bench when the invitation to come for counciling for salvation. Why has the distinction of sin been lost? Why do Christians tolerate sin? Fear of being seen as legalists? Or love for sin in their hearts? It is getting so you cannot tell the Christians from the sinners without a score card. The purity and holiness of the believer is a quality that is scarce in todays modern Christian. All those things we love to argue about like drinking, smoking, rock music, dancing, divorce with remarriage, and women in the pastorate to name but a few. The good old arguments are well worn...nothing in the bible specifically prohibits many of these but the proof is in the pudding. Salt with no savor, light under a basket. There is a cost to be a disciple that many are not even willing to consider.

For the cause of Christ
RogerOnce again Roger.... you failed to include the INTERNET in your list of stuff not prohibited but we all KNOW, it's in the pudding mix.

I'll be honest, once you include the internet in that list you have... then you won't sound so hypocritical.

But then, if you live what you say... then we'd never be able to read what you have to say... on the INTERNET.

Is this the reason the INTERNET isn't on your list??

Or are you trying to say that the INTERNET has nothing to do with the evil in the world today and also is a source for the devil to tempt people into sin.

That as long as a Christian characteristic "use" of the internet can always be "without sin"... then why can't SOME of the concerns on your list be characteristically used/expressed in the sinless manner as well?

I enjoy a beer every once in a while (real beer too, Micro Brewed types), I listen to Christian Rock, I dance with my wife (slow dancing)... for some examples. According to your list... you have ALWAYS lumped me in with all the rest in the pudding because YOUR list "RULES" and is "it on a stick", NEVER faulty and if I don't follow ALL on your list... I'm just one of THOSE OTHER CHRISTIANS who really aren't real Christian because.... shhhhhhh (whispering).... I don't follow "THE LIST".

So why isn't the INTERNET on your list? Except to say... then "you" won't be able to be on the internet anymore because it's on "THE LIST".

I'll be honest... you use a word like "salt" at the end of your post... on the INTERNET. Well, your salt is flavorless just like the rest of us Christians in the pudding mix based on your "LIST".

Blackwood
Mar 7th 2011, 04:34 PM
▪ base their teachings on the Bible
▪ worship only Jehovah and make his name known
▪ show genuine love for one another
▪ accept Jesus as God’s means of salvation
▪ are no part of the world
▪ preach God’s Kingdom as man’s only hope

notuptome
Mar 7th 2011, 09:01 PM
Once again Roger.... you failed to include the INTERNET in your list of stuff not prohibited but we all KNOW, it's in the pudding mix.

I'll be honest, once you include the internet in that list you have... then you won't sound so hypocritical.

But then, if you live what you say... then we'd never be able to read what you have to say... on the INTERNET.

Is this the reason the INTERNET isn't on your list??

Or are you trying to say that the INTERNET has nothing to do with the evil in the world today and also is a source for the devil to tempt people into sin.

That as long as a Christian characteristic "use" of the internet can always be "without sin"... then why can't SOME of the concerns on your list be characteristically used/expressed in the sinless manner as well?

I enjoy a beer every once in a while (real beer too, Micro Brewed types), I listen to Christian Rock, I dance with my wife (slow dancing)... for some examples. According to your list... you have ALWAYS lumped me in with all the rest in the pudding because YOUR list "RULES" and is "it on a stick", NEVER faulty and if I don't follow ALL on your list... I'm just one of THOSE OTHER CHRISTIANS who really aren't real Christian because.... shhhhhhh (whispering).... I don't follow "THE LIST".

So why isn't the INTERNET on your list? Except to say... then "you" won't be able to be on the internet anymore because it's on "THE LIST".

I'll be honest... you use a word like "salt" at the end of your post... on the INTERNET. Well, your salt is flavorless just like the rest of us Christians in the pudding mix based on your "LIST".
What part of this post addresses the OP?

I can add to the list but you have already determined that I am worthless. So kind and loving of you thanks.

While I'm here on this "evil internet" I have my bible open and my online bible running in the background. I will leave the judgment to God.

For the cause of Christ
Roger

Slug1
Mar 8th 2011, 02:29 AM
What part of this post addresses the OP?

I can add to the list but you have already determined that I am worthless. So kind and loving of you thanks.

While I'm here on this "evil internet" I have my bible open and my online bible running in the background. I will leave the judgment to God.

For the cause of Christ
RogerYes... judgement is of God, NOT YOUR LIST!

All I'll say is welcome to the pudding bowl where the rest of us Christian's are because of your list :lol:

Edit... I didn't say worthless, go back and reread all I wrote! I said... that you SOUND hypocritical and I said that because of this, your salt has no flavor.

And NOW you claim you can ADD to the list even MORE?

Please start a new thread and post your ENTIRE list so it can be discussed.