PDA

View Full Version : Praying Jews cause a 'prayer scare' on a plane

moonglow
Mar 15th 2011, 07:49 PM
http://religion.blogs.cnn.com/2011/03/15/airline-apologizes-for-plane-prayer-scare/?hpt=T2

Airline apologizes for plane prayer scare

By Eric Marrapodi, CNN Belief Blog Co-Editor

Alaska Airlines has apologized for a weekend incident in which three Orthodox Jewish businessmen triggered security concerns by conducting a prayer ritual on board a flight to Los Angeles.

The men began praying out loud in Hebrew shortly after takeoff on Flight 241 from Mexico City. Flight attendants alerted the flight deck, which then called the tower and alerted law enforcement. When the plane arrived at Los Angeles International Airport, it was met by the FBI, Customs and Border Protection and airport police.

The men were questioned, their bags searched, and it was determined they were not a threat according to the FBI.

skipping down

Flight attendants instructed everyone to stay seated with their seatbelts fastened as the aircraft flew through turbulence shortly after takeoff. The three passengers disregarded repeated requests, however, and stood up several times to retrieve objects from their luggage in the overhead bin that the crew had never seen, including small black boxes fastened with what appeared to be black tape. The crew learned after the plane landed that these were tefillin boxes worn during the prayer ritual.

The men prayed aloud together in a language unfamiliar to the crew while wearing what appeared to be black tape and wires strapped to their forearms and foreheads and wires on their chests. Their actions and behavior made some other travelers and the crew uneasy. The three passengers responded, but provided very little explanation, to a flight attendant’s questions about the tefillin boxes and what they were doing.

Later in the flight, two of the three passengers visited the lavatories together while the third waited in the aisle and continually looked around the cabin and toward the flight deck door. Flight attendants thought he appeared anxious, as if he were standing guard.

I can understand why that would make people nervous...I don't understand why the men didn't explain what they were doing...or why this couldn't wait until they landed? But its good to educate people on this.

God bless

Fenris
Mar 15th 2011, 08:03 PM
Not the first time it's happened either.

These are "Tefillin", the "phylacteries" mentioned in the NT. They are worn by Jewish men over the age of 12. They are put on every day except saturday and holidays. They are usually worn during the morning prayers, although technically they can be put on any time during daylight to satisfy the requirement.

Here's a picture of a soldier in the IDF praying with his Tefillin on.

http://t1.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcStFDoX526zgrLAVOaA87EDvhBK6kv6Q usJNMa7xq_Xk-eouiEcQw

I've put them on at airports but never on a plane. Since they can be worn any time during the day, unless someone is on a 16+ hour flight and has no choice, it makes sense not to frighten the other passengers and crew.

Jeanne D
Mar 15th 2011, 09:25 PM
We were flying back from overseas to the states. There was a group of what I think were Hassidic (sp?) Jews standing in a circle conducting prayers.

No one thought a thing of it. I guess times have changed.

Personally that wouldn't bother me.

Jeanne

GitRDunn
Mar 15th 2011, 11:41 PM
Praying normally wouldn't bother me, but it was wrong of the men to disregard the flight attendants during the turbulence and considering the description of the situation, I can't blame their reaction since the men didn't explain what they were doing. Why they didn't just explain is beyond me, it would have saved everyone a lot of worry, time, and effort.

Not the first time it's happened either.

These are "Tefillin", the "phylacteries" mentioned in the NT. They are worn by Jewish men over the age of 12. They are put on every day except saturday and holidays. They are usually worn during the morning prayers, although technically they can be put on any time during daylight to satisfy the requirement.

Here's a picture of a soldier in the IDF praying with his Tefillin on.

I've put them on at airports but never on a plane. Since they can be worn any time during the day, unless someone is on a 16+ hour flight and has no choice, it makes sense not to frighten the other passengers and crew.
What is the origination of these "Tefillin"? Are they mentioned somewhere in the OT or is it something Jewish men have come up with on their own?

NewInHim
Mar 16th 2011, 02:40 AM
What is the origination of these "Tefillin"? Are they mentioned somewhere in the OT or is it something Jewish men have come up with on their own?

I believe it stems initially from Deuteronomy:

"Hear, O Israel: The LORD our God, the LORD is one. You shall love the LORD your God with all your heart and with all your soul and with all your might. And these words that I command you today shall be on your heart. You shall teach them diligently to your children, and shall talk of them when you sit in your house, and when you walk by the way, and when you lie down, and when you rise. You shall bind them as a sign on your hand, and they shall be as frontlets between your eyes. You shall write them on the doorposts of your house and on your gates. ~ Deuteronomy 6:4-9

I'm guessing that the practice developed over time as this verse was interpreted, and that it was codified at some point by rabbis.

moonglow
Mar 16th 2011, 02:41 AM
Praying normally wouldn't bother me, but it was wrong of the men to disregard the flight attendants during the turbulence and considering the description of the situation, I can't blame their reaction since the men didn't explain what they were doing. Why they didn't just explain is beyond me, it would have saved everyone a lot of worry, time, and effort.

I think its when they worn those 'boxes' on their foreheads with the ten commandments in them when they prayed which started in the OT yea.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tefillin#Torah_related_sources

The obligation of tefillin is mentioned four times in the Torah: twice when recalling the The Exodus from Egypt:

And it shall be for a sign for you upon your hand, and for a memorial between your eyes, that the law of the Lord may be in your mouth; for with a strong hand did the Lord bring you out of Egypt.
—Exodus 13:9

And it shall be for a sign upon your hand, and as totafot between your eyes; for with a mighty hand did the Lord bring us forth out of Egypt.
—Exodus 13:16

and twice in the shema passages:

And you shall bind them as a sign upon your arm, and they shall be as totafot between your eyes.
—Deuteronomy 6:8

You shall put these words of mine on your heart and on your soul; and you shall tie them for a sign upon your arm, and they shall be as totafot between your eyes.
—Deuteronomy 11:18

God bless