PDA

View Full Version : A question

acm
Mar 17th 2011, 03:12 AM
Hello, I am new to the Bible, Jesus our savior and also here as well. I have many, many, many questions, but will leave it at one for now. I have read the New Testament twice now and still cannot find where it explicitly says Christians are allowed to eat (unclean) meat such as pork as it says in detail to not eat in the Old Testament? Can somebody explain some rationale as well in regard? Thank you

Slug1
Mar 17th 2011, 03:23 AM
Hello, I am new to the Bible, Jesus our savior and also here as well. I have many, many, many questions, but will leave it at one for now. I have read the New Testament twice now and still cannot find where it explicitly says Christians are allowed to eat "unclean" meat such as pork as it says in detail to not eat in the Old Testament?God pointed out the fact concerning eating of meat in a vision for us all to understand that any meat can be consumed. This can be found in Acts chapter 10.

Also, Jesus stressed that anything going "into" a person's mouth does not defile them, only what comes "out" of their mouth can defile them. This can be found in Matthew 15.

These are two area's/scriptures that come to mind.

Also, in James 3, the scriptures talk about the tongue... so the scriptures from Acts 10 and Matthew 15 can be divided by these scriptures. in James 3, all the beasts, birds, etc of the world are referred to as "tamed"... this means we can do with them as we will and that means, if we want to eat them, no problem.

So, this should help you begin your study of the Bible concerning this topic.

Welcome to the board, God bless you!

Ezer Kenegdo
Mar 17th 2011, 03:58 AM
1Ti 4:4 For every creature of God is good, and nothing to be refused, if it be received with thanksgiving:
1Ti 4:5 For it is sanctified by the word of God and prayer.

Rom 14:14 I know, and am persuaded by the Lord Jesus, that there is nothing unclean of itself: but to him that esteemeth any thing to be unclean, to him it is unclean.

Rom 14:20 For meat destroy not the work of God. All things indeed are pure; but it is evil for that man who eateth with offence.

jayne
Mar 17th 2011, 04:28 AM
Hi, acm .... I'm jayne. :wave:

If I were you I would read over the entire chapter of Acts 15.

There were a lot of Jews who had converted to a belief in Christ who still wanted to keep the Old Testament Law, particularly circumcision, and insisted that Gentiles who became saved converted to Judaism first, then Christianity.

Paul and Barnabas tried to tell them that they were wrong, but to no avail. The even went to Jerusalem and had this same argument with some Pharisees who had been saved.

Paul and Barnabas finally hashed this out in a heated debate, as the Bible says, with Peter. Peter finally sees the light and tells the Jews that were trying to add the Law to salvation this:

"Why are we (saved Jews) trying to put such a yoke (burden) on these Gentiles who are being saved? Our ancestors couldn't keep the law and neither could we. In fact we are saved by grace just like they are."

You could have heard a pin drop the Bible says. Everybody shut up and stopped arguing. Then Paul and Barnabas began to tell those saved Jews all the wonderful things that God was doing among the Gentiles. He even reminds them of scripture where God said that He would even call the Gentiles by His Name.

Then James makes a motion that they should tell these Gentiles three things that they should do nor not do, NOT to make themselves saved, but because they are saved. It isn't a mandate, but an encouragement. The three things are:

Don't eat meat offered to idols.
Don't eat things strangled or still it's own blood.
Stay away from sexual immorality.

David Guzik gives a good commentary on these three things and why they were singled out. Remember, not to save anyone or to accompany salvation, but just some guidelines as to how to behave.

CLICK HERE (http://www.blueletterbible.org/commentaries/comm_view.cfm?AuthorID=2&contentID=7968&commInfo=31&topic=Acts) (scroll down to appropriate verse)

Then, they wrote a letter to the Gentiles and Paul, Barnabas, Judas, and Silas delivered the letter and its message to those newly saved Gentiles and their churches.

They were not be in bondage to the Law.

Also, read the entire book of Galatians again very carefully. Paul was having trouble with the churches there and their trying to make the Law a prerequisite for salvation or at least equal to salvation.

It was really just ONE law from the whole Law - circumcision. Galatians is a very, very STERN letter from Paul admonishing these people that the law can do absolutely nothing to make you saved or to maintain your salvation.

Here are some excerpts of what Paul said in Galatians about the Law.

"23 Now before faith came, we were held captive under the law, qimprisoned until the coming faith would be revealed. 24 So then, rthe law was our sguardian until Christ came, tin order that we might be justified by faith. 25 But now that faith has come, we are no longer under a guardian, ...."
[Galatians 3:23-25]

"If ye be led by the Spirit, ye are not under the law"
[Galatians 5:18]

"11 When Cephas came to Antioch, I opposed him to his face, because he stood condemned. 12 For before certain men came from James, he used to eat with the Gentiles. But when they arrived, he began to draw back and separate himself from the Gentiles because he was afraid of those who belonged to the circumcision group. 13 The other Jews joined him in his hypocrisy, so that by their hypocrisy even Barnabas was led astray.
14 When I saw that they were not acting in line with the truth of the gospel, I said to Cephas in front of them all, “You are a Jew, yet you live like a Gentile and not like a Jew. How is it, then, that you force Gentiles to follow Jewish customs? 15 “We who are Jews by birth and not sinful Gentiles 16 know that a person is not justified by the works of the law, but by faith in Jesus Christ. So we, too, have put our faith in Christ Jesus that we may be justified by faith in[d] Christ and not by the works of the law, because by the works of the law no one will be justified."
[Galatians 2:11-16]
.................................................. ..

" 1 It is for freedom that Christ has set us free. Stand firm, then, and do not let yourselves be burdened again by a yoke of slavery.
2 Mark my words! I, Paul, tell you that if you let yourselves be circumcised, Christ will be of no value to you at all. 3 Again I declare to every man who lets himself be circumcised that he is obligated to obey the whole law. 4 You who are trying to be justified by the law have been alienated from Christ; you have fallen away from grace."
[Galatians 5:1-4]
.................................................. ...

Raybob
Mar 18th 2011, 10:23 AM
Hello, I am new to the Bible, Jesus our savior and also here as well. I have many, many, many questions, but will leave it at one for now. I have read the New Testament twice now and still cannot find where it explicitly says Christians are allowed to eat (unclean) meat such as pork as it says in detail to not eat in the Old Testament? Can somebody explain some rationale as well in regard? Thank you

If you are new to the bible, then PRAISE JESUS! If you don't mind downloading a free program to your computer, go to e-sword.net and download "e-sword". It's a super bible program with search functions. You can search for words like "eat", then all passages with that word will be there. You can also download many other translations, dictionaries, commentaries, and other things that all are integrated so you can read one passage, then click a different translation and see the same passage in a different translation. There are also web sites with those search functions. Really simplifies studying the bible, IMO.