PDA

View Full Version : Benny Hinn

Shut_out2
Jan 5th 2003, 04:40 PM
Do you think Benny Hinn (sp?) is truly a man of God?

menJesus
Jan 6th 2008, 03:29 PM
Yes, I do. He is not a perfect man, but then, who is?

No one, aside from Jesus...

David Taylor
Jan 6th 2008, 04:03 PM
No. Avoid his teachings.
He is a false prophet who has become rich in the unbiblical Word-of-Faith movement, having Mislead thousands away from both sound teaching and their hard earned money.

charlatan, shister, shake-oil peddler, who preys on the naive and gullible.

Pray for his repentance, and his turning away from deceiving others for profit, but avoid anything he says.

Here are some more indepth christian Apologetic website to help you be inform of his misleadings:

http://defendchrist.org/false_teachers.html
http://www.apologeticsindex.org/h01ag.html
http://www.deceptioninthechurch.com/hinn-01.htm
http://www.equip.org/site/c.muI1LaMNJrE/b.2708261/k.BCC0/DP069.htm

HisGrace
Jan 6th 2008, 04:11 PM
Al lot of accusations about his being a false prophet is hearsay.

Benny Hinn has provided a house in Mexico and the Philippines for needy children, plus care and funding for Calcutta's Mission of Mercy Hospital in India.
http://www.bennyhinn.org/missions/

9Marksfan
Jan 6th 2008, 04:30 PM
I agree with David Taylor - the man is one of the most dangerous heretics on the planet - his many false teachings and practices are not hearsay but are well documented. Even if he has provided for the poor, the Scriptures say we should not let our left hand know what our right hand is doing - ie we should keep quiet about out good works - the fact that his website brags about them to make him look good says it all.

Don't be deceived.

Jeanne D
Jan 6th 2008, 04:32 PM
I don't know whether Benny Hinn is a man of God or not. I just know that he disturbs me, so I don't watch him.

Jeanne:confused

losthorizon
Jan 6th 2008, 05:19 PM
If you are one who criticizes Mr. Hinn, please be advised that if he ever finds a “Holy Ghost machine gun” you may be in great danger. He is a man whose gospel is “another gospel” and his many aberrant teachings should be avoided and rejected. Test the spirits…
"You know, I've looked for one verse in the Bible -- I just can't seem to find it -- one verse that says, `If you don't like 'em, kill 'em.'' I really wish I could find it! ...Sometimes I wish God would give me a Holy Ghost machine gun. I'd blow your head off!" ~ Benny Hinn

“I place a curse on every man and every woman that would stretch his hand against this anointing. I curse that man who dares to speak a word against this ministry” ~ Benny Hinn

divaD
Jan 6th 2008, 06:03 PM
I don't mean to be rude to anyone, but sometimes I wonder when people claim that Benny Hinn is a man of God, if these people are even Christians themselves? One would think, that men and women truly living by the Spirit of God, wouldn't be fooled by such obvious wolve's in sheep's clothing, such as Benny Hinn.

Athanasius
Jan 6th 2008, 06:15 PM
Avoid, avoid, avoid, avoid, avoid.
He's a man of a god alright, but which one?

minnesotaice
Jan 6th 2008, 06:17 PM
I also have tapes of things he has said as a preacher and I heard him during a sermon saying that Jesus himself would appear on stage at a certain revival meeting. Jesus in the flesh. Didn't happen. I have also heard him say on tape that the book of Job shouldn't be in the bible.

karenoka27
Jan 6th 2008, 06:22 PM
Always beware when someone uses money as a blessing for obedience to God..Benny Hinn says:
its not the money that really concerns God, its your total obedience. The greatest danger that Christians face now, according to Hinn, is disobedience against God by not contributing financially to the coming harvest of God with your seed money! You must be willing to give your all, in order to demonstrate your true obedience. In fact, Benny revealed that God is even now healing those who call in their contributions to TBN. But this is not selling healing for money, he says, it is God blessing those who are truly obedient and worthy to receive his coming unusual anointing!

It's interesting to me that "god" wants everyone's obedience in giving money to go to hinn.

kayte
Jan 6th 2008, 06:39 PM
No. Avoid his teachings.
He is a false prophet who has become rich in the unbiblical Word-of-Faith movement, having Mislead thousands away from both sound teaching and their hard earned money.

charlatan, shister, shake-oil peddler, who preys on the naive and gullible.

Pray for his repentance, and his turning away from deceiving others for profit, but avoid anything he says.

Here are some more indepth christian Apologetic website to help you be inform of his misleadings:

http://defendchrist.org/false_teachers.html
http://www.apologeticsindex.org/h01ag.html
http://www.deceptioninthechurch.com/hinn-01.htm
http://www.equip.org/site/c.muI1LaMNJrE/b.2708261/k.BCC0/DP069.htm

:agree: Can't say it any better than that.

Mograce2U
Jan 6th 2008, 07:05 PM
The story of Simon the Sorcerer (Acts 8) comes to mind, or Ananias & Sapphira (Acts 5). Benny for some reason has chosen to align himself with them rather than with Zacheaus - who was willing to restore 4-fold all that he had stolen. A covetous heart smoothed over with flattering words born of hypocrisy, ought to be easily recognized by those who have the Holy Spirit. He is bent to deceive the body of Christ and even his good works are tainted. True benevolence born of the Holy Spirit is not used as a marketing tool to gain more money for earthly riches and fame. The devil's children do "good works" also, but when the heart is not right with God, this is the result one can see. If covetousness is present, then the wrath of God is still abiding upon them because their hearts have not been made right with God. That they are religious is to be expected, for they think they can use God to serve themselves. It is the heart of an idolator, which their covetousness reveals is the case. Which is why you can know them by their fruits - because they stink.

Clifton
Jan 6th 2008, 08:47 PM

Hard to tell ... As the Tanach (OT) shows, some people become men of God and go off the deep-end.

The "Christian-beloved" Tertullian (2nd Century) that graced us with his writings ended up joining The Montatists[sp?], which was deemed as an heretical bunch.

Clifton

Saved7
Jan 6th 2008, 08:57 PM
All I know is whenever there has been a false teacher or a false teaching that has tried to work it's way into my life...the Holy Spirit causes me such discomfort when I listen to the false stuff that I HAVE to turn away from it.
I turn the channel EVERY time benny hinn is on tv. I get knotts in my stomach and feel sick every time I hear him preaching. This is my gift of discernment, the Lord has trained me well in heeding His leading in this.

HisGrace
Jan 6th 2008, 09:45 PM
It is not only Benny Hinn that these sites are after. I find that many of these websites list every Christian preacher they can possibly think of, which tells me that they have a biased agenda in mind, making excuses with such disclaimers as -

A listing on the Apologetics Index web site does not necessarily mean that its publisher or anyone else connected with Apologetics Index perceives the group (movement, ministry, organization, and/or related individuals and entities) to be a cult (or cultic), to practice coercive or destructive tactics, or to be in violation of any law. It simply means that Apologetics Index has information on the group (movement, ministry, organization, and/or related individuals and entities) and/or has received inquiries from current and former members, their family, professionals, the media, or the general public.

Where links have added to quotes and other third party material, the original author and/or publisher do not necessarily agree with the information linked to.

If the information is not deemed to be 100% accurate, this is deception. God and the Bible deals only with the absolute truth. I don't go into these sites for any information. To me they have just as much ethics as The National Enquirer.

mouse
Jan 6th 2008, 11:28 PM
I saw Benny Hinn in 2006 when he came to Sydney. I had a good time during worship, but I had no idea about his track record. Of course I agree with you, HisGrace, that a lot of these reports where they expose people are biased, but after looking at those sites and watching some videos on YouTube and hearing some of his claims for myself, well, it's really made me think.
I donated what I had in my pocket at the time, which was only like $2 or $3. Ever since then I get letters asking for more (once they actually sent me a KJV Bible), but I've never given any more because I don't HAVE any money to give (I'm a jobless student).

One thing that does, and always has, bothered me is these preachers/ pastors and their seeming obsession with money and finances. God does not want to make us materially rich; if anything, He would be more inclined to make us poor. The fixation on finances disturbs me a LOT.

HisGrace
Jan 6th 2008, 11:41 PM
I don't find them fixated with finances, more than necessary. After all, they don't have sponsors like Wendy's or American Express, etc. and it takes millions to televise their ministries. If you go into their sites, you will notice that they do extensive missions and outreach work. They give away a lot.
Have you ever counted the number of commercials there are in an hour of secular TV? It is up in the 20's or so.

Partaker of Christ
Jan 7th 2008, 12:06 AM
All I know is whenever there has been a false teacher or a false teaching that has tried to work it's way into my life...the Holy Spirit causes me such discomfort when I listen to the false stuff that I HAVE to turn away from it.
I turn the channel EVERY time benny hinn is on tv. I get knotts in my stomach and feel sick every time I hear him preaching. This is my gift of discernment, the Lord has trained me well in heeding His leading in this.

Same here!
I don't need to read all the reports about him on the net or elswhere.
There are many others also who I also feel a sickness when I see them.

minnesotaice
Jan 7th 2008, 01:25 AM
I don't find them fixated with finances, more than necessary. After all, they don't have sponsors like Wendy's or American Express, etc. and it takes millions to televise their ministries. If you go into their sites, you will notice that they do extensive missions and outreach work. They give away a lot.
Have you ever counted the number of commercials there are in an hour of secular TV? It is up in the 20's or so.

I see your point, however, with all due respect, there is a difference between God placing things on people's heart to give to a certain ministry based on the good things it is doing for people. There is nothing wrong with people giving to ministries that they believe in.

However, with some of the Rich Televangelists, including Mr. Hinn, they don't just ask for money to do ministry, they say that God will bless you 10 times more if you give to them. They also say that you will be healed and blessed if you give to THEM. God heals and blesses who he chooses to, and it is NOT based on giving to a particular ministry. This is very wrong when ministers do this and people who are desperate fall prey to this. I personally know several who have been broke because of giving to these ministries.

minnesotaice
Jan 7th 2008, 01:28 AM
I see your point, however, with all due respect, there is a difference between God placing things on people's heart to give to a certain ministry based on the good things it is doing for people. There is nothing wrong with people giving to ministries that they believe in.

However, with some of the Rich Televangelists, including Mr. Hinn, they don't just ask for money to do ministry, they say that God will bless you 10 times more if you give to them. They also say that you will be healed and blessed if you give to THEM. God heals and blesses who he chooses to, and it is NOT based on giving to a particular ministry. This is very wrong when ministers do this and people who are desperate fall prey to this. I personally know several who have been broke because of giving to these ministries.

I just wanted to add to this that if they need money, they should be upfront about what they are going to do with it and let people decide if they want to give or not. Mr. Hinn has been featured on Dateline and other shows where investigations have found factual paper trails of what is done with the money people give. Thousands of dollars per night on a hotel room, million dollar mansions, big jets.... Why doesn't he come out and say that some of the people's money will be spent on his lavish lifestyle and some on ministry. Why try and hide what you are going to do with it. If people want to then give their money, it is at their own risk. The deception of it really bothers me personally. To be fair, it is not just Mr. Hinn who does these things.

Mograce2U
Jan 7th 2008, 02:09 AM
It is not only Benny Hinn that these sites are after. I find that many of these websites list every Christian preacher they can possibly think of, which tells me that they have a biased agenda in mind, making excuses with such disclaimers as -

A listing on the Apologetics Index web site does not necessarily mean that its publisher or anyone else connected with Apologetics Index perceives the group (movement, ministry, organization, and/or related individuals and entities) to be a cult (or cultic), to practice coercive or destructive tactics, or to be in violation of any law. It simply means that Apologetics Index has information on the group (movement, ministry, organization, and/or related individuals and entities) and/or has received inquiries from current and former members, their family, professionals, the media, or the general public.

Where links have added to quotes and other third party material, the original author and/or publisher do not necessarily agree with the information linked to.

If the information is not deemed to be 100% accurate, this is deception. God and the Bible deals only with the absolute truth. I don't go into these sites for any information. To me they have just as much ethics as The National Enquirer.You don't need to believe what they say about the research they have done, you can just listen to these guys yourself. They make no bones about guaranteeing you financial success if you first give to them. Notice that covetousness is what they spread as they appeal to people's greed. And the testimonies they promote all make similar claims to support their doctrine.

Caveat emptor!

Addendum:
I used to be a member of Pat Robertson's 700 club. And before I gave him a dime, I sent for his tax return - which he offered to provide. In those days (the early 90's) I thought he was quite upfront and honest in that he did not have a lot of spurious stuff in his return. I once called his prayer hot-line and a very kind gentlemen spent 3 hours with me on the phone without asking me for a dime. My point is that discernment is needed. When I called Marilynn Hickey's number, you could not speak to anyone until you made a financial committment.

jeffreys
Jan 7th 2008, 03:48 AM
You don't need to believe what they say about the research they have done, you can just listen to these guys yourself. They make no bones about guaranteeing you financial success if you first give to them. Notice that covetousness is what they spread as they appeal to people's greed. And the testimonies they promote all make similar claims to support their doctrine.

Caveat emptor!

Addendum:
I used to be a member of Pat Robertson's 700 club. And before I gave him a dime, I sent for his tax return - which he offered to provide. In those days (the early 90's) I thought he was quite upfront and honest in that he did not have a lot of spurious stuff in his return. I once called his prayer hot-line and a very kind gentlemen spent 3 hours with me on the phone without asking me for a dime. My point is that discernment is needed. When I called Marilynn Hickey's number, you could not speak to anyone until you made a financial committment.

Good points.

My question is this: Would Benny Hinn be doing what he's doing if it wasn't making him absurdly rich? No, he would not.

In addition, his theology and doctrine are complete lies. God does NOT promise us that He'll make us rich, if we obey Him. And He certainly does NOT promise us that He'll make us rich if we send money to Benny Hinn!

It's a lie, and Benny Hinn is a false prophet - plain & simple!

th1bill
Jan 7th 2008, 05:52 AM
All of his prophecies have been lies. Since God never lies, no, he's a false prophet.

mouse
Jan 7th 2008, 07:16 AM
I don't find them fixated with finances, more than necessary.

Sorry, I wasn't clear (my fault). I didn't mean Benny Hinn specifically in that comment, I was more referring to a general mentality I've encountered. Your experiences may be different from mine, of course.

9Marksfan
Jan 7th 2008, 10:25 AM

If the information is not deemed to be 100% accurate, this is deception. God and the Bible deals only with the absolute truth. I don't go into these sites for any information. To me they have just as much ethics as The National Enquirer.

Nothing wrong with that disclaimer - very wise, actually!

To shut your eyes and call these sites "deception" and yet consider Benny Hinn to be a man of God, falsely accused, when there is widespread footage of him pronouncing false prophecies and the most damnable heresies just defies credulity.....

HisGrace
Jan 7th 2008, 06:35 PM
I turn the channel EVERY time benny hinn is on tv. I get knotts in my stomach and feel sick every time I hear him preaching. This is my gift of discernment, the Lord has trained me well in heeding His leading in this.Are your sure you weren't influenced by pre-conceived seeds of bias before you turned him on the TV?

I am a Spirit-filled Christian, and although I don't watch Benny Hinn too often, I have heard some powerful Bible-based sermons, especially a couple, and my discernment led me to confirm that they were God-anointed messages. To me there should be heresy hunters hunting the heresy hunters, because a lot of their 'discernment' is misled by outside influences..

VerticalReality
Jan 7th 2008, 06:52 PM
I don't know much about Hinn or his motivations, but I can say that I have heard a couple of his sermons that weren't anything I would disagree with really. Of course, those messages weren't anyting to do with the prosperity gospel and so on either. I don't agree with that, and I do see a lot of that stuff from Hinn and others on TBN, but that doesn't make me want to go ahead and throw them all under a bus and label them heretics or false prophets.

Now, I can already see in this thread that one person specifically has already taken the word of someone else and spread that same fallacy here about Hinn. Many people go around saying that Hinn told everyone on television that Jesus would physically manifest on stage during one of his "crusades". However, the truth here is that Hinn didn't say this was something God told him. He said in that show that this was something some other person had told him. He didn't say that he heard it from God or that he was vouching for the accuracy of what he was told. He simply said that this was what another person told him. Should he have said what he was told? I wouldn't have done that. Anyone should know that such a thing isn't going to happen. However, by reading Scripture and its definition of a false prophet, I wouldn't place this label on Hinn because of that. He didn't make the "false prophecy" . . . someone else did. Now, he may have made other false prophecies, but as far as this one is concerned you can't really place the blame on him because he never stated that he got such a thing from God.

What I do advise is that everyone should listen to a person's teachings themselves and compare it with Scripture. I WOULD NOT go to these websites that are dedicated heresy hunters because every one of them I have seen have been extremely biased and some just flatout slanderous. I mean just use the Spirit within, and don't take the words of another man as absolute truth. I can name you countless baptist churches that I could go to tomorrow and they would probably all tell me that those pentecostals were nothing but a bunch of flaky fruitcakes who are heretics that don't understand the Scriptures. However, I could tell you many pentecostals that I respect, and there are MANY that I could say beyond a shadow of a doubt that they are born again, Spirit-filled children of God. People ought to be very careful and not be so quick to speak evil of another.

HisGrace
Jan 7th 2008, 07:23 PM
Now, I can already see in this thread that one person specifically has already taken the word of someone else and spread that same fallacy here about Hinn. Many people go around saying that Hinn told everyone on television that Jesus would physically manifest on stage during one of his "crusades". However, the truth here is that Hinn didn't say this was something God told him. He said in that show that this was something some other person had told him. He didn't say that he heard it from God or that he was vouching for the accuracy of what he was told. He simply said that this was what another person told him. Great post VerticalReality! This is exactly the sort of thing I am trying to bring to light. There is a falsehood going around that says that Benny Hinn spoke to Kathryn Khulman over her grave, when indeed the truth is he had a vision, while he was sleeping, where she made a brief appearance and walked off into another room. He says it was at this time that he knew he would be going into the healing ministry. You can see numerous sites where they claim he was into necromancy. This is a total falsehood. I read his true version some time ago.

jeffreys
Jan 7th 2008, 07:31 PM
What I do advise is that everyone should listen to a person's teachings themselves and compare it with Scripture. I WOULD NOT go to these websites that are dedicated heresy hunters because every one of them I have seen have been extremely biased and some just flatout slanderous. I mean just use the Spirit within, and don't take the words of another man as absolute truth. I can name you countless baptist churches that I could go to tomorrow and they would probably all tell me that those pentecostals were nothing but a bunch of flaky fruitcakes who are heretics that don't understand the Scriptures. However, I could tell you many pentecostals that I respect, and there are MANY that I could say beyond a shadow of a doubt that they are born again, Spirit-filled children of God. People ought to be very careful and not be so quick to speak evil of another.

I'd agree that Benny Hinn might preach some Biblical sermons - accidentally or intentionally. But I will say with absolute certainty that his Health & Wealth Gospel is nothing short of anti-Christian and anti-Biblical. In addition, he's become an ultra-rich multi-millionaire as a direct result of preaching those lies.

I don't need to go to some heresy-hunting website to see that. :)

David Taylor
Jan 7th 2008, 07:36 PM
You can see numerous sites where they claim he was into necromancy. This is a total falsehood. I read his true version some time ago.

I can speak to this one first hand.

I was flipping channels some years ago, and there was a show that was discussing Hinn's false prophecies. I can't remember if it was the John Ankerberg Show, or some other Christian apologetic show.

However, they were playing clips of stuff from TBN that was false teachings and false prophesies.

They played about a 5 minute clip of Hinn, where he was telling Paul Crouch (If I remember correctly), that he was feeling a very strong annointing of God at the moment, and that there were some families in Latin America who were watching, and who had loved ones who had just died.

Hinn told them that if they would simply bring their loved ones into the room with the TV, and lay the dead hands of their corpses on the TV, so that they touched it, then he was going to pray on their behalf, and raise them back from the dead. Hinn very boldly made this claim, right in front of my eyes, and prayed the prayer, and matter-of-factly afterwards said that there were many dead now returned to the living because of his anointed prayer. Then he and Paul proceeded to ask for money for TBN. They were having one of their yearly telethon rallies.

Now this is a first-hand example, and not something that 'some heretic hunter' is falsely pushing around.

From that point forward, Hinn and Crouch both went to my 'do not believe list'.

VerticalReality
Jan 7th 2008, 07:42 PM
But I will say with absolute certainty that his Health & Wealth Gospel is nothing short of anti-Christian and anti-Biblical. In addition, he's become an ultra-rich multi-millionaire as a direct result of preaching those lies.

However, there's probably millions of Christians out there who are definitely born again and children of God that believe things that are anti-Christian and anti-biblical. As a matter of fact, I don't know you personally, but I'd be willing to guarantee that there's many things you believe that I would find to be anti-Christian or anti-biblical. Does that then make you a false prophet? I don't believe it does. I just think it means that you are deceived in certain areas. Could it not be possible that Hinn is just deceived in what he has been taught? Do you think that all those who believe his teachings and follow his ministry are also false prophets or are they just deceived like he is?

I don't need to go to some heresy-hunting website to see that. :)

That was exactly my point.:)

HisGrace
Jan 7th 2008, 07:52 PM
They played about a 5 minute clip of Hinn, where he was telling Paul Crouch (If I remember correctly), that he was feeling a very strong annointing of God at the moment, and that there were some families in Latin America who were watching, and who had loved ones who had just died. I have heard it said that people in Africa and other Third-world countries have seen many mighty miracles because of their great faith. They have seen many weird happenings through witchcraft, so they are very open to the very unusual once they become Christians.

Brother Mark
Jan 7th 2008, 08:04 PM
I have heard it said that people in Africa and other Third-world countries have seen many mighty miracles because of their great faith. They have seen many weird happenings through witchcraft, so they are very open to the very unusual once they become Christians.

But what seems to be offensive is the tying of miracles to fund raising.

VerticalReality
Jan 7th 2008, 08:21 PM
But what seems to be offensive is the tying of miracles to fund raising.

If anyone charges for a miracle or healing you should definitely question that nonsense. How are you going to charge someone for something God is doing? That's wrong.

Brother Mark
Jan 7th 2008, 08:27 PM
If anyone charges for a miracle or healing you should definitely question that nonsense. How are you going to charge someone for something God is doing? That's wrong.

Correct. It was just such a thing that got Elisha's servant in trouble when he took payment from Naaman for the healing of Naaman's leporacy.

Pilgrimtozion
Jan 7th 2008, 08:30 PM
Correct. It was just such a thing that got Elisha's servant in trouble when he took payment from Naaman for the healing of Naaman's leporacy.
Now that is an interesting case in point indeed...

Brother Mark
Jan 7th 2008, 08:32 PM
Now that is an interesting case in point indeed...

Amen! It is a scary thing to think the grace of God can be sold or bought or used for improper financial gain. When people have tried to do such things in scripture, really bad things have happened to them. Elisha's servant is one example. I think there are some examples in Acts as well but I can't remember them at the moment.

Pilgrimtozion
Jan 7th 2008, 08:36 PM
Of course, Ananias and Sapphira in Acts 5 are an example as well as Simon the sorcerer in Acts 8. But Naaman is a striking example in particular because it contrasts Elisha, who wants no money for the whole ordeal, with Gehazi, who is eager to receive payment for what God has done. In a way, Gehazi uses God's miracle as a means of acquiring gain...and that seems to be the core of the issue.

Jesus-Is-Real
Jan 7th 2008, 08:51 PM
Amen! It is a scary thing to think the grace of God can be sold or bought or used for improper financial gain. When people have tried to do such things in scripture, really bad things have happened to them. Elisha's servant is one example. I think there are some examples in Acts as well but I can't remember them at the moment.

Of course, Ananias and Sapphira in Acts 5 are an example as well as Simon the sorcerer in Acts 8. But Naaman is a striking example in particular because it contrasts Elisha, who wants no money for the whole ordeal, with Gehazi, who is eager to receive payment for what God has done. In a way, Gehazi uses God's miracle as a means of acquiring gain...and that seems to be the core of the issue.

Hi there Pilgrimtozion and Brother Mark,

Here's another thing about money in Acts, but not about getting but giving it to purchase the gift of God:
Acts 8:18-24

18 And when Simon saw that through laying on of the apostles' hands the Holy Ghost was given, he offered them money,

19 Saying, Give me also this power, that on whomsoever I lay hands, he may receive the Holy Ghost.

20 But Peter said unto him, Thy money perish with thee, because thou hast thought that the gift of God may be purchased with money.

21 Thou hast neither part nor lot in this matter: for thy heart is not right in the sight of God.

22 Repent therefore of this thy wickedness, and pray God, if perhaps the thought of thine heart may be forgiven thee.

23 For I perceive that thou art in the gall of bitterness, and in the bond of iniquity.

24 Then answered Simon, and said, Pray ye to the Lord for me, that none of these things which ye have spoken come upon me.
__________________________________________________ ___

We tend to want to follow on with Christ but we seem to forget about our own works of our flesh which, through the Spirit of God, needs to be put to death. Myself included.
When we don't do these things, daily in our lives at times, we sometimes justify our works of the flesh as being Spiritual. :o

Not in exactly that Samaria setting but I'm sure God can show me where, at times, I've been just like this same Simon from Samaria, believing but still having evil thoughts in the heart. Father in Heaven, help us all.

Peace,
Connie

Brother Mark
Jan 7th 2008, 09:07 PM

This is exactly correct. Gehazi used God's grace for improper financial gain. He accepted payment and ended up with Naaman's disease. It is, as you say, a striking example and one that put Godly fear in my heart when I first heard it.

HisGrace
Jan 7th 2008, 10:19 PM
How do you think Jesus and the disciples survived? They even had a treasurer to handle their funds - Judas. Judas would dip into the funds, so there must have been enough left over after he helped himself to the treasury.

9Marksfan
Jan 7th 2008, 10:36 PM
How do you think Jesus and the disciples survived? They even had a treasurer to handle their funds - Judas. Judas would dip into the funds, so there must have been enough left over after he helped himself to the treasury.

Not sure I follow your point - but that fact certainly didn't excuse his pilfering!

HisGrace
Jan 7th 2008, 10:42 PM
Not sure I follow your point - but that fact certainly didn't excuse his pilfering! The point is THEY HAD MONEY.:o
According to a lot of posters, accepting money is evil.

VerticalReality
Jan 7th 2008, 10:43 PM

I don't think anyone is saying that it isn't biblical for ministers to accept material compensation for preaching the gospel and laboring for the church. However, I don't think Jesus or the apostles charged the captive for setting them free. The apostle Paul never said, "Hey, sow into my ministry and I'll be sure to pray for your healing."

No no, the apostle Paul healed in the name of Jesus, preached the gospel to those who needed to hear it, and if the church gave him a gift, well . . . so be it.

jeffreys
Jan 7th 2008, 10:59 PM
However, there's probably millions of Christians out there who are definitely born again and children of God that believe things that are anti-Christian and anti-biblical. As a matter of fact, I don't know you personally, but I'd be willing to guarantee that there's many things you believe that I would find to be anti-Christian or anti-biblical. Does that then make you a false prophet? I don't believe it does. I just think it means that you are deceived in certain areas. Could it not be possible that Hinn is just deceived in what he has been taught? Do you think that all those who believe his teachings and follow his ministry are also false prophets or are they just deceived like he is?
Frankly my friend, I find that to be rather offensive. :o

Further, there is a HUGE difference between believing something that isn't Biblical, and making millions of dollars by lying to bellievers. HUGE difference.

9Marksfan
Jan 7th 2008, 11:14 PM
The point is THEY HAD MONEY.:o
According to a lot of posters, accepting money is evil.

When it's in the $$$$millions bracket like Benny Hinn's turnover, it sure is obscene!

Jesus didn't have lots of money - he had very little indeed - he actually had to borrow a coin to use for an illustration about paying taxes to Caesar!

The Scriptures teach us that the love of money is the root of all kinds of evil - and Benny Hinn sure loves his money!

Brother Mark
Jan 7th 2008, 11:20 PM
When it's in the $$$$millions bracket like Benny Hinn's turnover, it sure is obscene!

Jesus didn't have lots of money - he had very little indeed - he actually had to borrow a coin to use for an illustration about paying taxes to Caesar!

The Scriptures teach us that the love of money is the root of all kinds of evil - and Benny Hinn sure loves his money!

This is where I think people get out of line. How much money a man has doesn't show if he loves it or not. God made Abraham rich and Job and David and Solomon and... I could go on and on.

Does Binny Hinn love money? Man sees on the outside but God sees the heart. That isn't for us to decide flippantly.

jeffreys
Jan 7th 2008, 11:26 PM
This is where I think people get out of line. How much money a man has doesn't show if he loves it or not. God made Abraham rich and Job and David and Solomon and... I could go on and on.

Does Binny Hinn love money? Man sees on the outside but God sees the heart. That isn't for us to decide flippantly.

There is a vast difference between a man who has worked hard - as a farmer, for instance (much like Abraham) - and a preacher who has made millions of dollars by lying to believers, convincing them to send him millions of dollars under the pretense that God will make them financially rich if they do so.

Brother Mark
Jan 7th 2008, 11:30 PM
There is a vast difference between a man who has worked hard - as a farmer, for instance (much like Abraham) - and a preacher who has made millions of dollars by lying to believers, convincing them to send him millions of dollars under the pretense that God will make them financially rich if they do so.

Absolutely. Why not focus on his lies instead of calling him a liar? Let's talk about his doctrine and show where he is wrong. No need to be in the name calling business.

1 John was written about false teachings, yet no one was named. So let's get back to his teachings.

jeffreys
Jan 7th 2008, 11:33 PM
Absolutely. Why not focus on his lies instead of calling him a liar? Let's talk about his doctrine and show where he is wrong. No need to be in the name calling business.

1 John was written about false teachings, yet no one was named. So let's get back to his teachings.
A preacher who makes millions of dollars by teaching lies is, frankly, a liar. Sorry for the bluntness, but Benny Hinn is a liar.

The Health & Wealth Gospel he preaches is a lie.

minnesotaice
Jan 7th 2008, 11:43 PM

HISGRACE:

Respond to this quote.

9Marksfan
Jan 8th 2008, 12:07 AM

I agree - although short of him actually coming out and saying "Listen folks, I really LOVE money!", I think it's as obvious as can be by the opulent and lavish kind of lifestyle he lives that wealth is really, really important to him. I concur with jeffreys' comments.

But back to the lies - as well as his Prosperity Gospel, what do you make of David Taylor's eyewitness account of him telling the people to put the hands of the dead people on the TV screen so that they would be resurrected - and then claiming that it had actually happened (did it?!?!) - and then asking for money! I mean - how false can you GET?!?!?!

He has also gone on record as saying that he is a mini-God and that there are nine persons in the Godhead - do you need more?

RoadWarrior
Jan 8th 2008, 12:17 AM
My dear (now departed) aunt, my mother's youngest sister, had a handicapped granddaughter. The child was paralyzed from the neck down and was kept alive by the strenuous efforts of her family.

My aunt loved Benny Hinn, and believed that her precious granddaughter could be healed by him. The family made the journey to go to his services.

When they arrived at the door, the ushers very quickly turned them away and would not even let them enter.

My aunt was devastated and disillusioned.

jeffreys
Jan 8th 2008, 12:19 AM
What I find very interesting, and very misleading, about this Prosperity Gospel is this...

I am a very, very rich man!

And it has nothing to do with finances, and how much money I make each year.

jeffreys
Jan 8th 2008, 12:20 AM
My dear (now departed) aunt, my mother's youngest sister, had a handicapped granddaughter. The child was paralyzed from the neck down and was kept alive by the strenuous efforts of her family.

My aunt loved Benny Hinn, and believed that her precious granddaughter could be healed by him. The family made the journey to go to his services.

When they arrived at the door, the ushers very quickly turned them away and would not even let them enter.

My aunt was devastated and disillusioned.

Go figure!

The ushers knew that this was a person who actually was handicapped, and that no mind-control or emotional hype was going to make this girl walk.

So they denied her entry.

The angry part of me wants to think there's a special slow-roast corner in Hell awaiting Benny Hinn. :mad:

RoadWarrior
Jan 8th 2008, 12:26 AM
Go figure!

The ushers knew that this was a person who actually was handicapped, and that no mind-control or emotional hype was going to make this girl walk.

So they denied her entry.

The angry part of me wants to think there's a special slow-roast corner in Hell awaiting Benny Hinn. :mad:

:hug: Thank you Jeffreys.

Some time ago I looked up the word "disillusioned" and decided it was a very good word. It is not comfortable to be disillusioned about something we believed, but it is VERY GOOD for us. It means that we were believing in something which was not true, something that was an illusion. When we are disillusioned, the illusion is stripped away and we realize it was false. Now we have a chance to find out what is true - unless of course we love illusion and just move on to a different falsehood.

I pray that many more people will be disillusioned about all the false teachers.

Jn 3:19 And this is the condemnation, that the light has come into the world, and men loved darkness rather than light, because their deeds were evil. 20 For everyone practicing evil hates the light and does not come to the light, lest his deeds should be exposed. 21 But he who does the truth comes to the light, that his deeds may be clearly seen, that they have been done in God." NKJV

Brother Mark
Jan 8th 2008, 01:27 AM
A preacher who makes millions of dollars by teaching lies is, frankly, a liar. Sorry for the bluntness, but Benny Hinn is a liar.

Back your accusations up with facts. Tell what he preaches and dispense of it doctrinally.

threebigrocks
Jan 8th 2008, 03:06 AM
What about seperating the flesh from the spirit, and what suits each?

I Corinthians 9

6Or do only Barnabas and I not have a right to refrain from working?

7Who at any time serves as a soldier at his own expense? Who plants a vineyard and does not eat the fruit of it? Or who tends a flock and does not use the milk of the flock?
8I am not speaking these things according to human judgment, am I? Or does not the Law also say these things?
9For it is written in the Law of Moses, "YOU SHALL NOT MUZZLE THE OX WHILE HE IS THRESHING " God is not concerned about oxen, is He?
10Or is He speaking altogether for our sake? Yes, for our sake it was written, because the plowman ought to plow in hope, and the thresher to thresh in hope of sharing the crops.
11If we sowed spiritual things in you, is it too much if we reap material things from you?
12If others share the right over you, do we not more? Nevertheless, we did not use this right, but we endure all things so that we will cause no hindrance to the gospel of Christ.
13Do you not know that those who perform sacred services eat the food of the temple, and those who attend regularly to the altar have their share from the altar?
14So also the Lord directed those who proclaim the gospel to get their living from the gospel.
15But I have used none of these things And I am not writing these things so that it will be done so in my case; for it would be better for me to die than have any man make my boast an empty one.
16For if I preach the gospel, I have nothing to boast of, for I am under compulsion; for woe is me if I do not preach the gospel.
17For if I do this voluntarily, I have a reward; but if against my will, I have a stewardship entrusted to me.
18What then is my reward? That, when I preach the gospel, I may offer the gospel without charge, so as not to make full use of my right in the gospel. 19For though I am free from all men, I have made myself a slave to all, so that I may win more.

What I see here is a man who is indeed called by God to take the gospel to whomever and wherever necessary, whether they are given financial means to do so or whether they need to earn their own to do the work they are called to. When we are confronted by someone who will do God's work no matter what - no matter how large or small or in the red the coffers get - that is who is deserving. Those who set aside the flesh, who will take the financial assistance to get them enough food to not starve, including their family. Just prior to this quote, it speaks of them being very able to take a wife with them. Wife meant of course marriage and children, Lord willing.

However, Paul saw the benefit to remain single so as to be as effective as possible for the gospel. He denied the flesh in so many ways. The gospel was his only focus.

All the big names aside - how many of our local preachers, pastors and ministers are willing to be like Paul? How many are doing right by their true calling to serve the Lord and would do anything at all to continue doing so, even if it meant taking on another job outside of ministry to keep on? Even if it meant meagerly caring for his family in order to pay to keep the lights on in the church?

It's not just a big name that may be irresponsibly carrying out biblical stewardship. They are just a bigger, easier target.

HisGrace
Jan 8th 2008, 03:31 AM
When it's in the $$$$millions bracket like Benny Hinn's turnover, it sure is obscene! Did you not read his missions page? He gives LOTS too. Someone said that he was bragging. He is simply letting us know where much of the money goes .

Jesus didn't have lots of money - he had very little indeed - he actually had to borrow a coin to use for an illustration about paying taxes to Caesar! If Jesus had a treasury he wouldn't have to borrow money. The theory is that he didn't want to dip into the ministry funds to pay taxes. He was simply paying taxes so that the temple tax collectors would not be offended.

VerticalReality
Jan 8th 2008, 03:35 AM
Frankly my friend, I find that to be rather offensive. :o

Further, there is a HUGE difference between believing something that isn't Biblical, and making millions of dollars by lying to bellievers. HUGE difference.

I'm sorry you find it offensive, but it's not meant to be. Look at it this way, there are many doctrines out there that certain denominations hold to that I just don't believe are biblical. That doesn't mean I believe they aren't Christian or I believe they are false prophets. It simply means that I believe their particular views on some things are, as you say, "anti-Christian" or "anti-biblical". The chances are good that the same would apply to you if I picked apart everything you believe. Shoot, my previous pastor was a great man, and I truly respect him, but there are even things that he believes that I do not agree with. Don't take offense. Just realize that we are not perfect and we do not have perfect understanding. There are things that we all do not have full revelation on. Thank the Lord that He is patient with us and reveals his truths step by step.

jeffreys
Jan 8th 2008, 03:37 AM
Back your accusations up with facts. Tell what he preaches and dispense of it doctrinally.

I already did.

The Health & Wealth Gospel he preaches is a false Gospel. John 13:1-17 should be enough to expose this self-serving, multi-millionaire send-me-your-money preacher as a false prophet and liar. In addition, neither Jesus nor any of the disciples nor NT writers EVER made any sort of promise that God would make Christians financially rich. Period.

Beyond that, we could easily move on to the lies about healings...

VerticalReality
Jan 8th 2008, 03:39 AM

But again, how do you know he's lying and not just deceived? If he truly believes what he's preaching then is he lying? There are many Christians who believe that a person is required to be baptised in order to be saved and make it to heaven. They preach this with all of their heart and with much passion. Still, I think they are mistaken in their belief. However, they truly believe it. Therefore, if they preach it they are not now liars because of it. It's just something they believe.

jeffreys
Jan 8th 2008, 03:40 AM
I'm sorry you find it offensive, but it's not meant to be. Look at it this way, there are many doctrines out there that certain denominations hold to that I just don't believe are biblical. That doesn't mean I believe they aren't Christian or I believe they are false prophets. It simply means that I believe their particular views on some things are, as you say, "anti-Christian" or "anti-biblical". The chances are good that the same would apply to you if I picked apart everything you believe. Shoot, my previous pastor was a great man, and I truly respect him, but there are even things that he believes that I do not agree with. Don't take offense. Just realize that we are not perfect and we do not have perfect understanding. There are things that we all do not have full revelation on. Thank the Lord that He is patient with us and reveals his truths step by step.

As I said earlier, there's a world of difference between being "incorrect" about end-times scenario, and flagrantly lying to people saying, "God will make you financially rich if you send ME your money!"

HUGE difference.

jeffreys
Jan 8th 2008, 03:42 AM
But again, how do you know he's lying and not just deceived? If he truly believes what he's preaching then is he lying? There are many Christians who believe that a person is required to be baptised in order to be saved and make it to heaven. They preach this with all of their heart and with much passion. Still, I think they are mistaken in their belief. However, they truly believe it. Therefore, if they preach it they are not now liars because of it. It's just something they believe.

Do you believe that God will give you a new yacht if you send Benny Hinn a bunch of money?

If you don't, then you too believe Hinn to be a liar. You may not admit it with your tongue, but you confess it with your wallet. If you haven't sent him a wad of "seed faith" money, you are saying by your actions that he's lying. :hmm:

The man is in the same league with Robert Tilton. He's just a little better at it.

VerticalReality
Jan 8th 2008, 03:47 AM
Do you believe that God will give you a new yacht if you send Benny Hinn a bunch of money?

No. Just like I don't believe that God will reject me if I don't have time to get baptised by water. However, some folks will teach that. Are they liars or just deceived?

If you don't, then you too believe Hinn to be a liar.

I have no evidence that says he's a liar. I have evidence that says he's deceived.

You may not admit it with your tongue, but you confess it with your wallet. If you haven't sent him a wad of "seed faith" money, you are saying by your actions that he's lying. :hmm:

No, I'm saying by my actions that I don't believe he is biblically accurate. I don't believe many things that those involved with the CoC practice, but that doesn't mean that I think they are liars.

jeffreys
Jan 8th 2008, 03:50 AM
No. Just like I don't believe that God will reject me if I don't have time to get baptised by water. However, some folks will teach that. Are they liars or just deceived?

I have no evidence that says he's a liar. I have evidence that says he's deceived.

No, I'm saying by my actions that I don't believe he is biblically accurate. I don't believe many things that those involved with the CoC practice, but that doesn't mean that I think they are liars.

What, pray tell, does this thread have to do with baptism? And why are you continually dragging it into this discussion?

You've already admitted, by your actions or lack thereof, that you don't believe Benny Hinn. Enough said.

RoadWarrior
Jan 8th 2008, 03:51 AM

Hi VR,

I'm just curious as to why you keep saying he is deceived. If that beautiful child in your arms (in your profile photo) happened to become paralyzed from the neck down, would you take him to Benny Hinn for healing?

VerticalReality
Jan 8th 2008, 03:51 AM
As I said earlier, there's a world of difference between being "incorrect" about end-times scenario, and flagrantly lying to people saying, "God will make you financially rich if you send ME your money!"

HUGE difference.

I don't think there's a difference. I know many people that are truly born again that definitely believe the prosperity gospel. I believe they are seriously deceived, but I don't believe they're liars and going to hell for it or anything. What makes them different than someone like Benny Hinn? All I know about Benny Hinn is that he appears to believe something that is unbiblical like many other people I know. I don't believe they're going to hell because of this deception, so why should I believe that about Hinn without something more?

VerticalReality
Jan 8th 2008, 03:54 AM
What, pray tell, does this thread have to do with baptism? And why are you continually dragging it into this discussion?

You've already admitted, by your actions or lack thereof, that you don't believe Benny Hinn. Enough said.

I'm using it as an example that just because I don't believe everything someone preaches does not mean I think they are liars. I thought that was clear. Why are you getting so agitated here? Am I your enemy?

I've admitted by more than just my actions that I don't believe Benny Hinn. I've admitted as much with my spoken word as well. However, that still does not mean I believe he's a liar. I believe there's a huge difference between someone who is a liar and someone who is deceived. I don't have any evidence that shows Hinn is a liar or a false prophet, and until I do, I'm going to hold my tongue and not speak evil against someone who could very well be a child of God. All I'm doing is setting myself up for judgment by doing something like that.

jeffreys
Jan 8th 2008, 03:54 AM
I don't think there's a difference.

If you don't think there's a difference, there's absolutely no point in continuing this discussion.

Go ahead and send several thousand dollars to Benny Hinn. Try to take a cripple to him to get healed.

But I will be doing neither of those things, because I've not been deceived by him, nor by his false teachings.

VerticalReality
Jan 8th 2008, 03:56 AM
Hi VR,

I'm just curious as to why you keep saying he is deceived.

Because for all I know he very well could be.

If that beautiful child in your arms (in your profile photo) happened to become paralyzed from the neck down, would you take him to Benny Hinn for healing?

No. I know many Spirit-filled folks, including myself, that are very capable of praying for him if such an occasion arises.

VerticalReality
Jan 8th 2008, 03:58 AM
If you don't think there's a difference, there's absolutely no point in continuing this discussion.

Okay then. God bless!:)

RoadWarrior
Jan 8th 2008, 04:16 AM
No. I know many Spirit-filled folks, including myself, that are very capable of praying for him if such an occasion arises.

VR, I hope that you never have to be tested in that way! But please try to understand what it is like for people like my aunt, who see the displays of "healings" on tv and believe in them, believe in Benny Hinn. Consider what it feels like to have your hopes so high, and to have them dashed to pieces by being shunted aside at the door and told to leave.

Consider that Benny Hinn knows clearly and obviously that he is not truly healing people, that he is only pretending to heal people. Yes there is deception, but from what I have seen, he is the one doing the deceiving, not being deceived. His "healings" that he displays so grandly are not healings at all, but they are a sham - a lie.

Why would you continue to defend such a man, who does so much harm to vulnerable hurting people?

jeffreys
Jan 8th 2008, 04:19 AM
VR, I hope that you never have to be tested in that way! But please try to understand what it is like for people like my aunt, who see the displays of "healings" on tv and believe in them, believe in Benny Hinn. Consider what it feels like to have your hopes so high, and to have them dashed to pieces by being shunted aside at the door and told to leave.

Consider that Benny Hinn knows clearly and obviously that he is not truly healing people, that he is only pretending to heal people. Yes there is deception, but from what I have seen, he is the one doing the deceiving, not being deceived. His "healings" that he displays so grandly are not healings at all, but they are a sham - a lie.

Why would you continue to defend such a man, who does so much harm to vulnerable hurting people?

One of the worst things these charlatans & hucksters do is place the blame for the "lack of healing" on the person who needs to be healed. If they cannot keep a truly crippled person out of their healing meeting, they'll just claim that the person didn't have the faith to be healed.

In this deception too, Benny Hinn is a liar. I feel very badly for the people who are deceived by him, but I have absolutely no pity for the man himself.

diffangle
Jan 8th 2008, 04:27 AM
Here's a video clip of Hinn serving one of his employees(who died that night) heroin...

http://youtube.com/watch?v=MTN70eW8Guc

jeffreys
Jan 8th 2008, 04:36 AM
Here's a video clip of Hinn serving one of his employees(who died that night) heroin...

I've Googled for any information on this, and really haven't found anything. If it's not true, there was (is?) a gigantic lawsuit coming!

Is this factually true?

RoadWarrior
Jan 8th 2008, 04:51 AM

That was shocking enough, but while I was there, I watched the Dateline video and a couple others.

Thanks Diff, for sharing that.

I am at a loss to know how anyone could speak out in defense of this man.

VerticalReality
Jan 8th 2008, 04:55 AM

I'm not "defending such a man". The evidence I have is the evidence I have. There are many people I could condemn off the testimony of others, but that isn't very responsible of me. I have no personal knowledge of Hinn's lies. Therefore, I'm not going to jump on the "Bash Hinn" bandwagon. From what I have seen there's nothing to call him a false prophet, especially in light of what Scripture says about a false prophet. I cannot and will not say any healings are false if I don't have personal knowledge that they are. I'm just not going to do it. The only thing I can do is base what I believe off what I have personally seen and heard from Benny Hinn himself. I've already seen one person in this topic that I know for a fact has spread information about Hinn that isn't true. I'm not saying this to offend you. I'm simply saying that I'm not going to form my belief based around the testimony or experience of someone else.

diffangle
Jan 8th 2008, 05:00 AM
I've Googled for any information on this, and really haven't found anything. If it's not true, there was (is?) a gigantic lawsuit coming!

Is this factually true?
I just did a google search for Benny Hinn heroin and came up with this...

http://www.pfo.org/nuscandals.htm

Here's all the sites that came up under that search...

http://www.google.com/search?sourceid=navclient&ie=UTF-8&rls=DGUS,DGUS:2006-25,DGUS:en&q=benny+hinn+heroin

watchinginawe
Jan 8th 2008, 05:01 AM
My aunt loved Benny Hinn, and believed that her precious granddaughter could be healed by him.Misplaced faith. I'm not sure that would be Benny's fault though. Thanks for sharing the account.

God Bless!

diffangle
Jan 8th 2008, 05:04 AM
Here's another "gospel" message that shocks me coming from his wife...

http://youtube.com/watch?v=2jhw_5ye8Qo

Do you think Yahushua or any of the Apostles ever preached about a Holy Ghost enema up the rear end? :o :eek:

RoadWarrior
Jan 8th 2008, 05:08 AM
I'm not "defending such a man". The evidence I have is the evidence I have. There are many people I could condemn off the testimony of others, but that isn't very responsible of me. I have no personal knowledge of Hinn's lies. Therefore, I'm not going to jump on the "Bash Hinn" bandwagon. From what I have seen there's nothing to call him a false prophet, especially in light of what Scripture says about a false prophet. I cannot and will not say any healings are false if I don't have personal knowledge that they are. I'm just not going to do it. The only thing I can do is base what I believe off what I have personally seen and heard from Benny Hinn himself. I've already seen one person in this topic that I know for a fact has spread information about Hinn that isn't true. I'm not saying this to offend you. I'm simply saying that I'm not going to form my belief based around the testimony or experience of someone else.

OK, let me get this straight. You don't have personal knowledge of his sins, so you don't believe that he is a sinner. He has not lied to you, so you don't believe he lies. Yet you have someone right here, a Christian sister, who tells you a personal story, and that does not influence you? You are still willing to take his side? Dear VR, this is not bashing. This is telling the truth. Why would you not want to know the truth?

Why, in the face of the truth, do you still pretend that this man is worth your choosing his side against the millions of people whose money he has taken, whose dreams he has stolen, whose faith he has destroyed?

I can only say it is no wonder that there are so many who are turning to hatred of Christianity. We allow snakes and wolves to stand up and represent us and say it is ok. We allow deception and theft and fraud and yes lies, in the name of Christ to continue, and say we don't care.

Jn 3:19 This is the verdict: Light has come into the world, but men loved darkness instead of light because their deeds were evil. 20 Everyone who does evil hates the light, and will not come into the light for fear that his deeds will be exposed. 21 But whoever lives by the truth comes into the light, so that it may be seen plainly that what he has done has been done through God." NIV

VerticalReality
Jan 8th 2008, 05:25 AM
OK, let me get this straight. You don't have personal knowledge of his sins, so you don't believe that he is a sinner.

What does someone sinning have to do with this? Because he sins I should call him a false prophet and condemn the man to hell? How many other men and women am I going to have to do the same thing with based upon these standards? Are you not someone who sins from time to time? What does that tell us really?

He has not lied to you, so you don't believe he lies.

I don't know anything accept what I have heard from him. I have never heard him tell a lie just as I have never heard you lie about anything to me. Should I judge you as a liar anyway?

Yet you have someone right here, a Christian sister, who tells you a personal story, and that does not influence you?

No it doesn't. Again, I'm not going to base what I believe around the testimony or experience of someone else. I know you just as well as I know Benny Hinn, so why should I take your word about his character or his position with God simply based upon something you claim took place? Just because you say so? I'm honestly not trying to offend you, but this is the plain truth of the matter.

You are still willing to take his side? Dear VR, this is not bashing. This is telling the truth. Why would you not want to know the truth?

By saying that I'm not going to judge a man by the claims of others, this means I'm "taking his side"? I'm simply refusing to condemn someone based upon second hand account.

Why, in the face of the truth, do you still pretend that this man is worth your choosing his side against the millions of people whose money he has taken, whose dreams he has stolen, whose faith he has destroyed?

Where's the truth? I should just settle with the notion that the truth lies with you because you say so? Why would that be responsible of me to do so? And Hinn can't take anything from anyone. People freely give him their money. As for faith, I agree with watchinginawe . . . it is simply misplaced.

I can only say it is no wonder that there are so many who are turning to hatred of Christianity. We allow snakes and wolves to stand up and represent us and say it is ok. We allow deception and theft and fraud and yes lies, in the name of Christ to continue, and say we don't care.

Honestly, if Christians would spend more time preaching the gospel and witnessing to the lost instead of poking and picking apart other folks, it wouldn't really matter what any "snakes and wolves" are doing. I think Christians today should place their focus on what we have been called to do instead of spending our time analyzing other people. There's too many people out there that need to hear the gospel to worry about this nonsense.

RoadWarrior
Jan 8th 2008, 05:35 AM
Honestly, if Christians would spend more time preaching the gospel and witnessing to the lost instead of poking and picking apart other folks, it wouldn't really matter what any "snakes and wolves" are doing. I think Christians today should place their focus on what we have been called to do instead of spending our time analyzing other people. There's too many people out there that need to hear the gospel to worry about this nonsense.

:giveup: VR, if you truly believed what you wrote in that paragraph, you would not have wasted your time in this thread.

VerticalReality
Jan 8th 2008, 05:41 AM
:giveup: VR, if you truly believed what you wrote in that paragraph, you would not have wasted your time in this thread.

Why should I not believe it? Where should my focus lie? Should I worry about my neighbor who doesn't know the Lord and how the Lord may be able to use me in reaching this person, or should I worry about running around my town trying to find all the preachers I disagree with so I can accuse them of heresy and demand they step down from their position? What's my call? What have I been commissioned to do? How am I being a positive and godly influence on my community? Is it by calling for the heads of televangelists everywhere or is it by reaching out to those in my community who need to see the love and light of Christ shine through in the darkness they are living in? My call is to set the captive free. It's not to go around accusing people of things that I have no firsthand knowledge of.

VerticalReality
Jan 8th 2008, 05:43 AM
Anyway, folks . . .

I'm done for tonight. We'll catch up with you all later on after I get some rest. God bless!

9Marksfan
Jan 8th 2008, 10:53 AM
Did you not read his missions page? He gives LOTS too. Someone said that he was bragging. He is simply letting us know where much of the money goes .

That was me - his whole approach is focussed on him, not the LORD. NO ONE needs that kind of lavish lifestyle - it truly is obscene and if you can't see that, you've been infected with the Prosperity Gospel too!

If Jesus had a treasury he wouldn't have to borrow money.

But why did he ask for a coin, then?

The theory is that he didn't want to dip into the ministry funds to pay taxes.

That is complete nonsense! He taught people to render to Caesar what is Caesar's and to God what is God's! Are you suggesting he was looking for a way to get out of paying taxes to Caesar?!?

He was simply paying taxes so that the temple tax collectors would not be offended.

No - he was doing so because it was right to do so - the Roman authority, for all their wickedness, was there by God's command and all should submit to rulers and authorities - that's what Jesus did and that's what He commanded people to do too. And that's what Benny Hinn should do too, when there's a government investigation into his financial affairs - why is he being so secretive about it and saying things like "The LORD told me not to"? Completely unbiblical! The man thinks he is a law unto himself!

And what about all that "Holy Ghost machine gun" nonsense?!? And placing a curse on anyone that "comes against" his ministry?!?

minnesotaice
Jan 8th 2008, 11:18 AM

I believe he is both lying and being deceived. I have watched programs where people have been interviewed who have come on stage to be healed. Many of them were not and pretended to be to be on tv. Benny's assistants know this. They know who to get up there. He has also been asked repeated times to account for his lavish expenses and he dodges the question and will not expose his personal finances, much of which come from the ministry. Hey, why not just release his financial statement and what he spends ALL of the ministry money on and admit that many of the people on his stage do NOT get healed. That would be honest.

minnesotaice
Jan 8th 2008, 11:23 AM

I am that person you speak of. I have the cassette tapes with his voice saying that Jesus would manifest on stage, we are all little Gods and the book of Job should not be in the bible. Those are things he said.

By the way, you keep referring to yourself as "Spirit Filled". do you think others are not if they haven't done the ritual you believe causes one to be Spirit Filled?

diffangle
Jan 8th 2008, 02:07 PM
I believe he is both lying and being deceived.

True...

2Th 2:10 (http://www.blueletterbible.org/cgi-bin/popup.pl?book=2Th&chapter=2&verse=10&version=kjv#10)And with all deceivableness of unrighteousness in them that perish; because they received not the love of the truth, that they might be saved.

2Th 2:11 (http://www.blueletterbible.org/cgi-bin/popup.pl?book=2Th&chapter=2&verse=11&version=kjv#11)And for this cause God shall send them strong delusion, that they should believe a lie:

2Th 2:12 (http://www.blueletterbible.org/cgi-bin/popup.pl?book=2Th&chapter=2&verse=12&version=kjv#12)That they all might be damned who believed not the truth, but had pleasure in unrighteousness.

mcgyver
Jan 8th 2008, 02:16 PM
First, I'm not really concerned that he has a lot of money...I have yet to see a Brinks Truck following a Hearse to the Gravesite....

What I am vitally concerned with is the same thing that Paul, John, and Christians throughout the ages have been concerned with: The message of the true Gospel, and exposing that "gospel" that is false. Jesus Himself warned us against false prophets, false Christs, and false teaching....Wolves in sheep's clothing who would deceive many. The Scripture goes as far as to declare them Anathema in the book of Galatians...Christ said in that day He would say to them "depart from me, you workers of iniquity"...

So what does Hinn declare/teach (just a couple of quotes)?

"When you say, 'I am a Christian, you are saying, 'I am mashiach' in the Hebrew. I am a little messiah walking on earth, in other words That is a shocking revelation.... May I say it like this? You are a little god on earth running around." (Benny Hinn Praise-a-thon TBN November 6, 1990)

"Christians are "Little Messiah's and "little gods" on the earth. Thus [Encouraging the audience]...say "I am a God-man.." TBN 1990

"If you have attacked me, your children will pay for it." TBN 1998

...never, ever, ever go to the Lord and say, "If it be thy will..." Don't allow such faith-destroying words to be spoken from your mouth. When you pray "if it be your will, Lord," faith will be destroyed. Doubt will billow up and flood your being. Be on guard against words like this which will rob you of your faith and drag you down in despair.

Benny Hinn (Rise & Be Healed! p. 47-48)

"Holy Spirit said something to me and I had to go like a mad man and looking in the Word. He says, ‘God’s original plan is that the woman was to bring forth children out of her side.’ What? You know that there is nowhere in the Bible but where God gives birth out of His side. Jesus gives birth to the church out of His side. Adam gives birth to his wife out of his side. It was sin that turned the thing around. And it was sin that transformed her flesh and her body." (Transcribed From A Message Given By Benny Hinn, Paw Creek Ministries)

Now...Has anyone heard him publicly recant?

Say he was wrong?

VerticalReality
Jan 8th 2008, 02:23 PM
I believe he is both lying and being deceived. I have watched programs where people have been interviewed who have come on stage to be healed. Many of them were not and pretended to be to be on tv. Benny's assistants know this. They know who to get up there. He has also been asked repeated times to account for his lavish expenses and he dodges the question and will not expose his personal finances, much of which come from the ministry. Hey, why not just release his financial statement and what he spends ALL of the ministry money on and admit that many of the people on his stage do NOT get healed. That would be honest.

Okay. I can't vouche for any of that as I've never seen it. I'm simply basing my opinion off what I have witnessed.

VerticalReality
Jan 8th 2008, 02:32 PM
I am that person you speak of. I have the cassette tapes with his voice saying that Jesus would manifest on stage

You will have to provide this evidence before I will believe it. I personally saw the videotaping of these comments by Hinn and he never stated that he personally received from God that Jesus Christ would manifest physically on stage. He specifically stated in the video I watched that a lady told him this. He stated that the lady told him that Jesus Christ would physically manifest on stage at one of his crusades. Hinn, from all I've heard, has never claimed to be a prophet, and he never claimed in this particular video that he received any of that from God. Do I believe he was deceived in regards to this? Absolutely! However, that doesn't indicate a false prophet as far as Scripture is concerned, IMO.

,we are all little Gods and the book of Job should not be in the bible. Those are things he said.

I wouldn't deny that these are false teachings, but I could list you many false teachings from folks I believe are saved. They are simply deceived. However, they do not deny Christ as Savior.

By the way, you keep referring to yourself as "Spirit Filled". do you think others are not if they haven't done the ritual you believe causes one to be Spirit Filled?

I'm confused . . .

What ritual would that be?

VerticalReality
Jan 8th 2008, 02:36 PM
True...

2Th 2:10 (http://www.blueletterbible.org/cgi-bin/popup.pl?book=2Th&chapter=2&verse=10&version=kjv#10)And with all deceivableness of unrighteousness in them that perish; because they received not the love of the truth, that they might be saved.

2Th 2:11 (http://www.blueletterbible.org/cgi-bin/popup.pl?book=2Th&chapter=2&verse=11&version=kjv#11)And for this cause God shall send them strong delusion, that they should believe a lie:

2Th 2:12 (http://www.blueletterbible.org/cgi-bin/popup.pl?book=2Th&chapter=2&verse=12&version=kjv#12)That they all might be damned who believed not the truth, but had pleasure in unrighteousness.

Personally, I believe that this passage of Scripture is speaking of those in the last days who are living in a state of apostasy and have rejected Jesus Christ as Savior. As far as I know Hinn has never done this, so IMO this passage of Scripture does not accurately apply to him.

diffangle
Jan 8th 2008, 02:46 PM
Personally, I believe that this passage of Scripture is speaking of those in the last days who are living in a state of apostasy and have rejected Jesus Christ as Savior. As far as I know Hinn has never done this, so IMO this passage of Scripture does not accurately apply to him.
What are the last days? How do we know we're not in them? Verse 7 says, "For the mystery of iniquity doth already work". Also...

1Jo 2:18 (http://cf.blb.org/search/getBible.cfm?b=1Jo&c=2&v=18&version=KJV#18)Little children, it is the last time: and as ye have heard that antichrist shall come, even now are there many antichrists; whereby we know that it is the last time.

VerticalReality
Jan 8th 2008, 02:47 PM
What are the last days? How do we know we're not in them? Verse 7 says, "For the mystery of iniquity doth already work". Also...

1Jo 2:18 (http://cf.blb.org/search/getBible.cfm?b=1Jo&c=2&v=18&version=KJV#18)Little children, it is the last time: and as ye have heard that antichrist shall come, even now are there many antichrists; whereby we know that it is the last time.

I personally believe we are in them and that is why you see many folks today rejecting Jesus Christ as Savior and attempting to exalt themselves as being greater than God.

diffangle
Jan 8th 2008, 03:03 PM
I personally believe we are in them and that is why you see many folks today rejecting Jesus Christ as Savior and attempting to exalt themselves as being greater than God.
What about the quote from Hinn's book that Mcgyver posted...

...never, ever, ever go to the Lord and say, "If it be thy will..." Don't allow such faith-destroying words to be spoken from your mouth. When you pray "if it be your will, Lord," faith will be destroyed. Doubt will billow up and flood your being. Be on guard against words like this which will rob you of your faith and drag you down in despair.

Benny Hinn (Rise & Be Healed! p. 47-48)

and...

"When you say, 'I am a Christian, you are saying, 'I am mashiach' in the Hebrew. I am a little messiah walking on earth, in other words That is a shocking revelation.... May I say it like this? You are a little god on earth running around." (Benny Hinn Praise-a-thon TBN November 6, 1990)

"Christians are "Little Messiah's and "little gods" on the earth. Thus [Encouraging the audience]...say "I am a God-man.." TBN 1990

mcgyver
Jan 8th 2008, 03:25 PM
I wouldn't deny that these are false teachings, but I could list you many false teachings from folks I believe are saved. They are simply deceived. However, they do not deny Christ as Savior.

With no offense intended,

"Simply deceived" has become a panacea allowing all forms of heretical teaching (Although I do not believe you intended it in this way :)).

The question becomes: "Which Christ do they Not deny as savior?"

For Example,

The LDS church proclaims Jesus as savior, but their Jesus is NOT the Jesus of the Bible.

The Jehovah's Witnesses say that Jesus is the savior, but their Jesus is NOT the Jesus of the Bible.

We are admonished to hold fast to Biblical Doctrine...The Judaizers of the first century believed that Jesus was messiah; yet taught that the Gentiles must first become Jews before they could become Christians...1 John and Galatians have a LOT to say about that teaching!

So what then does Mr. Hinn say about Jesus and His work?

"He [Jesus] who is righteous by choice said, 'The only way I can stop sin is by Me becoming it. I can't just stop it by letting it touch Me; I and it must become one.' Hear this! He who is the nature of God became the nature of Satan where He became sin!"(Benny Hinn, TBN, 12/1/90).

"Jesus Christ knew the only way He would stop Satan is by becoming one in nature with him...He became one with the nature of Satan, so all those who had the nature of Satan can partake of the nature of God."
Benny Hinn (TBN December 15 1990)

(Not the Jesus of the Bible)

"Had He (Jesus) not offered Himself through the Holy Ghost, He would not be accepted in the eyes of God the Father. Nor would He have endured the sufferings of the cross. Had He not presented Himself through the Holy Ghost, His blood would not have remained pure and spotless. And let me add this: Had the Holy Spirit not been with Jesus, He would have sinned." (Benny Hinn, Good Morning Holy Spirit, (Word, 1991) p.135)

"Now, Jesus endured the cross and looked towards the cross by the power of the Holy Ghost....And here's something that's amazing. Paul! He was kept sinless by the Spirit. Because the Bible says He offered Himself spotless through the Spirit. Watch this, it's right here. "How much more shall the blood of Christ Who, through the eternal Spirit, offered Himself without spot." So had the Holy Ghost not been there, then Jesus would have sinned."?
Benny Hinn (Praise The Lord, TBN, April 24, 1998)

(Is this what the Bible teaches?)

Once again I must ask...Has anyone heard this man repent publicly and recant heretical teaching?

If not, can we in good conscience support, or even overlook such UNBIBLICAL teaching?

jeffreys
Jan 8th 2008, 03:55 PM
Once again I must ask...Has anyone heard this man repent publicly and recant heretical teaching?

If not, can we in good conscience support, or even overlook such UNBIBLICAL teaching?

My stance is pretty simple.

I don't waste a lot of time on Benny Hinn. I don't go off on rants about him, in sermons or lessons. I've got better things to do with my time, and there are more important things for people to hear.

But when asked...

mcgyver
Jan 8th 2008, 04:02 PM

I don't waste a lot of time on Benny Hinn. I don't go off on rants about him, in sermons or lessons. I've got better things to do with my time, and there are more important things for people to hear.

But when asked...

:agree: But when asked....

jeffreys
Jan 8th 2008, 04:07 PM

That whole Health & Wealth Gospel is one of the most pernicious and dangerous lies preached today. It deceives people into thinking of God as a giant ATM, or slot machine. Put your money in, give it a yank, and hope to hit the jackpot.

Pure lies.
Pure lies.

RoadWarrior
Jan 8th 2008, 04:13 PM
Originally Posted by jeffreys http://bibleforums.org/images/buttons/viewpost.gif (http://bibleforums.org/showthread.php?p=1494018#post1494018)

But when asked...

Originally Posted by mcgyver http://bibleforums.org/images/buttons/viewpost.gif (http://bibleforums.org/showthread.php?p=1494026#post1494026)

me too ...

th1bill
Jan 8th 2008, 04:20 PM
That whole Health & Wealth Gospel is one of the most pernicious and dangerous lies preached today. It deceives people into thinking of God as a giant ATM, or slot machine. Put your money in, give it a yank, and hope to hit the jackpot.

Pure lies.
Pure lies.
I appreciate your attitude. When I feel it prudent I give a scriptural assessment and move along. The prolonged discussion of this group of people does only damage because the lost and dying world does, indeed, watch and pay attention to our actions and when we begin to circle like the buzzards over the dying we do not win the lost for Christ. There are just to many good things to dwell on to kick the dying repeatedly. As Christians we are to discern the truth and move on to the mission left for us to complete.

VerticalReality
Jan 8th 2008, 04:25 PM
What about the quote from Hinn's book that Mcgyver posted...

and...

I couldn't comment with any actual knowledge on such an issue. I haven't read the book. However, I'm definitely NOT inclined to accept copied and pasted "quotes" from the internet as the gospel. There have been many heresy hunters known for taking "quotes" from books and altering them to fit their agenda. Again, I do not base what I believe on second hand info. passed along by men. I only believe what I see and hear out of the individual in question and them alone. If folks make a habit of believing everything they hear or read from second hand sources, they would likely end up in a similar situation as those who stood before Pontius Pilate screaming . . . "Crucify Him!"

mcgyver
Jan 8th 2008, 04:27 PM

Pure lies.
Pure lies.

:thumbsup: AMEN, and AMEN

VerticalReality
Jan 8th 2008, 04:30 PM

But when asked...

I can agree with this. However, when asked I can only repeat what I have personally seen or read directly from the source. It would not be responsible of me to help spread second hand info. that I can't confirm to be anymore than gossip meant to slanderize another person.

I have to base my response off first hand knowledge.

mcgyver
Jan 8th 2008, 04:32 PM
I couldn't comment with any actual knowledge on such an issue. I haven't read the book. However, I'm definitely NOT inclined to accept copied and pasted "quotes" from the internet as the gospel. There have been many heresy hunters known for taking "quotes" from books and altering them to fit their agenda. Again, I do not base what I believe on second hand info. passed along by men. I only believe what I see and hear out of the individual in question and them alone. If folks make a habit of believing everything they hear or read from second hand sources, they would likely end up in a similar situation as those who stood before Pontius Pilate screaming . . . "Crucify Him!"

Beloved brother, these are not second hand sources....But those words that he has both spoken and written....Words proceeding from his own lips, as it were....

Please check them for yourself....:)

VerticalReality
Jan 8th 2008, 04:37 PM
Beloved brother, these are not second hand sources....But those words that he has both spoken and written....Words proceeding from his own lips, as it were....

Please check them for yourself....:)

Do you own the books you took those quotes from or did you copy and paste them off the internet? If the latter, you are simply spreading second hand info.

I'm not saying this to offend . . .

I'm simply saying I'm not going to accept information that somebody goes somewhere on the internet to gather and then regurgitate it as truth.

VerticalReality
Jan 8th 2008, 04:43 PM
Look, the fact of the matter here is that Benny Hinn may very well be a false prophet, false teacher, or whatever other name you want to throw out there. This may very well be true of him and his motives.

However, all I'm encouraging here is ethical and moral responsibility. We are not called to spread gossip. We are called to preach the truth. We are not called to eyeball Benny Hinn. We are called by the Lord to focus on those who are being opressed by the enemy.

It would not be ethical or morally upstanding for me to get on this forum and spread nothing but gossip that I've heard from other people. If I have not heard from the mouth of the source himself these sorts of statements, why should I join in on the judging of said individual?

We should all be capable of judging righteously. If someone witnesses first hand that Benny Hinn is what Scripture defines as a false prophet, well . . . by all means get away and don't bother with him anymore.

minnesotaice
Jan 8th 2008, 04:45 PM
I think one thing we can all take from this discussion is that it is vitally important that we assess every teaching against the Entire Word of God. Do I believe that Mr. Hinn says some very helpful and truthful things? Sure, but I do not follow everything he says without going to the Word. It should be that way with all teachers.

If you think about it, we all have our own perceptions, backgrounds and teachings and none of us are 100 percent correct. Especially ministers and preachers.

I think the thing for me is that if we want to give to a ministry, we should give to God with faith that he will bless the ministry. We should never give out of guilt, or because someone promised us something in return. Ministries DO need expenses to run, however they are also to be transparent in what is being done and what money is being spent on. I went to a church for several years and gave lots because I believed in the ministry going on. I even became a member and was told by leadership that as a member, I could ask questions about doctrine, how money was being spent. When the leadership changed and they moved to a different doctrine, several members tried to get their questions answered and they were told that they had no right to question anything. Needless to say, we stopped giving and attending.

Bottom line--Be prayerful about where you give, and give with the right motives.

threebigrocks
Jan 8th 2008, 04:54 PM
There is much here to ponder, but discussion wise I believe there isn't much more that can be profitably said.