PDA

View Full Version : Best books on Biblical Discernment

watchman 2
Mar 18th 2011, 10:43 PM
Someone asked me about discernment of false teachers and devils found in some movements and I have recommended the following books which in my POV are the best of the best in the area of Biblical Discernment.

The Truth War
The Jesus You Cant Ignore
Who are you to Judge?

Any that I missed? I have many many books on this subject so I just chose the best. I want to make sure that I do not confuse apologetics with Discernment as they are different. So the authors of books I would endorse would be different.

John

keck553
Mar 18th 2011, 10:46 PM
Prayer works. It really does.

watchman 2
Mar 19th 2011, 12:58 AM
Prayer works. It really does.

Yes indeed it does. But you missed the question in your response.

Firefighter
Mar 19th 2011, 04:40 AM
Biblically, discernment is a gift of the Holy Spirit, it is not something you can learn nor can it be taught. Any book that does not start off with that, definitely should not make it on your list. Your best two weapons are the gift of discernment and the Word of God.

notuptome
Mar 19th 2011, 12:51 PM
Biblically, discernment is a gift of the Holy Spirit, it is not something you can learn nor can it be taught. Any book that does not start off with that, definitely should not make it on your list. Your best two weapons are the gift of discernment and the Word of God.
The word of God is the descerner of the thoughts and intents of the heart. Heb 4:12-13 It is the Holy Spirit that leads us into the truth in the word of God. The natural man cannot receive these things because they are Spiritually descerned.

For the cause of Christ
Roger

episkopos
Mar 19th 2011, 04:15 PM
There is spiritual discernment...but biblical discernment? One cannot understand the bible correctly without spiritual discernment.

Do you mean bible interpretation perhaps?

But again it is the bible that interprets us.

Could you explain more about what you mean?

Slina
Mar 19th 2011, 06:43 PM
Based on the books you mention, I assume by biblical discernment you mean recognizing what's wrong in false movements within Christianity or possibly in the secular realm as well. I've always figured that simply being familiar with what the Bible teaches would help with a lot of that, while books on specific movements are useful if it's something you're running into a lot. If you pretty well know what the Bible actually says, you'll generally have no problem noticing if something isn't quite right since it just won't jive with what you know of the Bible's teachings. Same reason bankers and cashiers catch counterfeit bills based on their knowledge of the look and feel of the real thing (and believe me, bills that are different stand out pretty well when you've been handling the real thing all day).

For specific books though, I'd think that would depend on what movements or religion you're concerned about. I could dig up the names of a couple good ones on Roman Catholicism for example, but I'm not sure if that's what you have in mind.

watchman 2
Mar 19th 2011, 08:23 PM
Based on the books you mention, I assume by biblical discernment you mean recognizing what's wrong in false movements within Christianity or possibly in the secular realm as well. I've always figured that simply being familiar with what the Bible teaches would help with a lot of that, while books on specific movements are useful if it's something you're running into a lot. If you pretty well know what the Bible actually says, you'll generally have no problem noticing if something isn't quite right since it just won't jive with what you know of the Bible's teachings. Same reason bankers and cashiers catch counterfeit bills based on their knowledge of the look and feel of the real thing (and believe me, bills that are different stand out pretty well when you've been handling the real thing all day).

For specific books though, I'd think that would depend on what movements or religion you're concerned about. I could dig up the names of a couple good ones on Roman Catholicism for example, but I'm not sure if that's what you have in mind.

No there is a difference between discernment and apologetics. I did not recommend she buy The Roman Catholic Controversy, Kingdom of the Cults, Whats the difference or some other apologetic book, as she is not dealing with a daughter whom is caught in a cult, or a false religion.

She ordered all 3 of the books I mentioned and I told her to start with Who are you to Judge which is the best. The book does not fixate allot on names and specific details as it just outlines a Biblical view of discernment. This makes the book a timeless masterpiece, and not a dated work like what some others have produced. The Jesus you cant ignore is a commentary and a detailed look at the life of Christ and how he responded to false teachers. After I read the book I had a more expanded scope of the life of Christ in dealing with false teachers. The author wrote the book for application, and did a very good job. The book is not some seminary level Christology book that is boring and hard to understand. The Jesus you Cant Ignore will spark you up, just as it did me.

This woman has a daughter whom will not hear the truth, and is fellowshipping in a Emerging Church that does not teach the Bible (not a surprise among emerging churches). She has a open mind to the truth, and I have suggested that she grow in discernment.

John

Servant89
Mar 19th 2011, 08:30 PM
Here is a hint. Read the Bible, figure out what is the will of God. Then do his will. After you start doing his will, God will give you understanding to get his true doctrine.

Jn 7:17 If any man will do his will, he shall know of the doctrine, whether it be of God, or whether I speak of myself.

Here is the same hint again:

2 Cor 3:13 And not as Moses, which put a vail over his face, that the children of Israel could not stedfastly look to the end of that which is abolished:
14 But their minds were blinded: for until this day remaineth the same vail untaken away in the reading of the old testament; which vail is done away in Christ.
15 But even unto this day, when Moses is read, the vail is upon their heart.
16 Nevertheless when it shall turn to the Lord, the vail shall be taken away.

Surrender to God first, then God will give you discernment and remove the vail that keeps you from seeing clearly.
Shalom

TrustGzus
Mar 20th 2011, 12:44 AM
The Discipline of Spiritual Discernment (http://www.amazon.com/Discipline-Spiritual-Discernment-Tim-Challies/dp/1581349092) by Tim Challies.

watchman 2
Mar 20th 2011, 01:12 AM
The Discipline of Spiritual Discernment (http://www.amazon.com/Discipline-Spiritual-Discernment-Tim-Challies/dp/1581349092) by Tim Challies.

I was not aware of that one. Thanks!! Its got an endorsement by MacArthur and looks interesting. Not sure how it would compare to Who are you to Judge by Lutzer which I have argued is the best book on discernment. Have you read both?

watchman 2
Mar 20th 2011, 01:13 AM
Sometimes I wonder if people even read my post before they respond.

Here is a hint. Read the Bible, figure out what is the will of God. Then do his will. After you start doing his will, God will give you understanding to get his true doctrine.

Jn 7:17 If any man will do his will, he shall know of the doctrine, whether it be of God, or whether I speak of myself.

Here is the same hint again:

2 Cor 3:13 And not as Moses, which put a vail over his face, that the children of Israel could not stedfastly look to the end of that which is abolished:
14 But their minds were blinded: for until this day remaineth the same vail untaken away in the reading of the old testament; which vail is done away in Christ.
15 But even unto this day, when Moses is read, the vail is upon their heart.
16 Nevertheless when it shall turn to the Lord, the vail shall be taken away.

Surrender to God first, then God will give you discernment and remove the vail that keeps you from seeing clearly.
Shalom

TrustGzus
Mar 20th 2011, 04:24 AM
I was not aware of that one. Thanks!! Its got an endorsement by MacArthur and looks interesting. Not sure how it would compare to Who are you to Judge by Lutzer which I have argued is the best book on discernment. Have you read both?No, I have not.