PDA

View Full Version : Need Advice: WordPress and using Pictures vs. Flash.

ikester7579
Mar 30th 2011, 01:55 AM
I was reading some stuff about how pics really slow down the page loading in WordPress. I use a lot of pics to illustrate as well as evidence. I also have the ability to convert them into flash type pics. They would look the same with no animation. Kinda like when you pause a playing youtube video. That would be a still flash picture.

This also reduces the size without sacrificing quality. And the flash file can load from a sub domain which would speed up load times. Or if there really is no difference, load from a separate folder.

So does anyone think that using flash pics would have an advantage? Or maybe I should experiment by making 2 pages? One with 4 regular pics and text. One with 4 flash pics and text and test to see. As well as put links here to get opinions.

bdh
Mar 30th 2011, 05:08 AM
I was reading some stuff about how pics really slow down the page loading in WordPress. I use a lot of pics to illustrate as well as evidence. I also have the ability to convert them into flash type pics. They would look the same with no animation. Kinda like when you pause a playing youtube video. That would be a still flash picture.

Total size of a page (text, images, css, javascript etc etc) matters big time. However, it only really has negative impact on those with dial-up. People on DSL don't really notice. Take a look at ivman.com -- on the same server as you. It's a wordpress site with some monster pages and for me it loads just fine.

And the flash file can load from a sub domain which would speed up load times. Or if there really is no difference, load from a separate folder.
Makes no difference and only makes your site a nightmare to maintain.

So does anyone think that using flash pics would have an advantage?

Not really. Flash needs JavaScript to make it work and if your visitor has scripting turned off (which my browser has be default), they won't see any images. I'd use normal (PNG) images.

BibleLove
Dec 22nd 2012, 07:00 AM
Also don't forget that Flash doesn't show up on iPhones and Ipads... it actually looks really ugly. My company's website - when viewing on an ipad - looks like a complete disaster.

ikester7579
Dec 27th 2012, 07:30 AM
Also don't forget that Flash doesn't show up on iPhones and Ipads... it actually looks really ugly. My company's website - when viewing on an ipad - looks like a complete disaster.

Thanks that's nice to know. Glad I had not invested in converting to flash. I guess flash videos don;t work on the gadgets either?