PDA

View Full Version : My Daiy Bible Study - Chronicles(2)

Frances
Apr 3rd 2011, 04:50 PM
1 Chronicles

Quote:- (Henry H. Halley)”Jewish tradition has it that Ezra was the author. Frequent reference is made to other histories, annals and official archives. Thus it is seen the author had access to journals, diaries and public records that are not now known. Chronicles was concerned primarily with the kingdom of David and bringing his line down to date.

1 Chronicles 1-9

What does the text say? - Quote:- (Henry H. Halley)”. . . . Chapters 1-9 These genealogies seem to have had for their immediate object the resettling of the land according to the public records. Those who had returned from the Captivity were entitled to lands formerly held in their own families. . . . land could not be sold in perpetuity out of the families (Lev. 25) the central interest of this genealogy is tracing the descent of David’s line . . . . these, and similar, genealogies are the skeletal framework of the Old Testament – the thing that binds the whole Bible together and gives it unity and makes it history and not legend.

Application? – Do I regard all of the Bible as history? Do I regard the parts I don’t agree with as legend? Am I really trusting ‘ the Word made flesh’ (John 1:1-5) if I choose not to believe what He caused to be written?

Frances
Apr 5th 2011, 03:52 PM
1 Chronicles 10

What does the text say? – The Philistines fought the Israelites, who were retreating, and killed many men including Saul’s sons, Jonathan, Abinadab(Jeshui) and Malchishua. They continued after Saul; when he was wounded by an arrow Saul told his armour-bearer to kill him to save him falling into Philistine hands, but he would not. Then Saul deliberately fell on his own sword and died, and his armour-bearer did the same. When the Israelites who lived in the valley realised Saul was dead they fled from their cities, and the Philistines occupied them. When the Philistines went to strip the dead of anything of value to them, they found Saul and his sons on Mt. Gilboa. They took Saul’s head, his armour and his sword; they put his armour in the temple of their gods and fixed his head in the temple of their god Dagon. When the people of Jabesh Gilead heard what had happened they went and fetched the bodies of Saul and his sons and buried them under a tamarisk tree, then fasted for 7 days. Saul had died because of his unfaithfulness to the Lord (1 Sam.13:8-14) and because he had consulted a Medium (1 Sam.28:7-8). So David became king of Israel.

Application? – Do I try to take over tasks the Lord has given to others? Do I turn to those opposed to the Lord in times of trouble? I cannot stop the Lord knowing everything I do, think and say. When I anger the Lord my family will suffer as well as myself. Do I ensure the leaders I follow are obedient to the Lord? if not I may suffer because of their unfaithfulness to Him.

Frances
Apr 6th 2011, 05:04 PM
1 Chronicles 11

What does the text say? – all the Elders of Israel went to David at Hebron, acknowledging that, even when Saul was king, it was David who led the army, and God had said he would be the leader of Israel. David made a covenant with them and they anointed him king over Israel. David went to claim Jebus(Jerusalem) but the Jebusites rejected him. He took the fortress of Zion. David’s nephew, Joab, was made commander of the army as he was the first to attack the Jebusites. David lived in the fortress of Zion, a city was built round it which was known as the City of David. The mightiest warrior in David’s army was Jashobeam the Hashmonite, who killed 300 men in a single battle; next was Eleazar who stood alone with David in the middle of a field and beat back the Philistines. On one occasion when David was near the cave of Adullam, and the Philistines were occupying Bethlehem, he said he wished he could have some water from the well by the gate of Bethlehem, so 3 mighty men broke through the Philistine lines, drew some water and took it to David. David refused to drink it, and poured it on the ground as an offering to the Lord. Joab’s brother, Abishai, led 30 of David’s men, and once killed 300 men in a single battle. Another of David’s mighty warriors killed a lion in a pit on a snowy day, and David made him the captain of his bodyguard, David also had other special warriors who are named.

Application? – Do I recognise those the Lord makes leader, as opposed to those who have designs on leadership? Do I stand up for the Lord whatever the cost may be? Will my name be remembered in heaven for good or bad deeds?

Quote:- (Henry H. Halley)”The water course by which David’s men gained entrance to Jerusalem (2 Samuel 5:1-10) was discovered in 1866, it is a sloping tunnel with steps cut down through solid rock, from the top of the hill to the Ghion spring . . . giving access within the walls to a water supply. The hill was surrounded by a wall 24 ft. thick.

Frances
Apr 7th 2011, 04:43 PM
1 Chronicles 12+13

What does the text say? – 339,600 fighting men went to Hebron to make David the king of Israel, and stayed with him for 3 days – the necessary food and drink having been contributed by each of the tribes. There was joy throughout all Israel.
David suggested they gathered all the people and fetched the Ark from Kiriath Jearim. At the appointed time the ark was put on a new cart (but Lev. 4:15) which Ahio and Uzza drove. All the Israelites accompanied it with music and singing. When they came to Childon’s (Nachon’s) threshing floor the oxen stumbled so Uzza put out a hand to steady the Ark. God was angry with Uzza for touching the Ark, and he died there ( the Ark should have been carried on it’s poles). David was angry, and afraid of God, so wouldn’t take the Ark any further, so it was put in the home of Obed-Edom and Gittite, where it remained for 3 months; and the Lord Blessed Obed-Edom and all he had.

Application? – The Lord knows the name or each person who is faithful to Him. The Lord expects His Word to be obeyed however long ago that Word was given. Do I obey what the Word of the Lord reveals of His Will? If I don’t read all of God’s Word I may miss some vital piece of information that could be a matter of life and death for me.

Frances
Apr 8th 2011, 05:27 PM
1 Chronicles 14+15

What does the text say? – King Hiram of Tyre sent stonemasons, carpenters and cedar-wood to build David’s houses, for he married more wives and they bore him 13 sons as well as daughters, in Jerusalem. David went to meet the Philistine army; when they raided the valley of Rephaim David asked God if he should attack them, and He said ‘Yes’, so David went and defeated them. The Philistines had abandoned their gods, so David had them burnt. When the Philistines raided the valley again David asked God if he should attack them; and God said David must lead his army to circle round behind the Philistines and wait for God’s signal to attack. David obeyed the Lord and won a great victory. David prepared a place for the Ark of God and pitched a tent for it. He had learned his lesson and so insisted the Levites must carry the Ark . The leaders from the whole country were gathered at Jerusalem; David assembled the Priests and Levites who would be involved and told them to sanctify (consecrate) themselves. The Levites carried the Ark by it’s poles, as Moses had commanded, and they were accompanied by instruments and singers. When the procession arrived at Zion, David’s wife Mical saw him playing music and dancing to the Lord, and despised him.

Application? – If I think that because the Lord has made me a leader, and given me victories, I am above His Law I will come to grief (David’s polygamy, which was normal for pagan kings of that time, led to 2 Sam 13.) When I have asked the Lord for Guidance once, do I assume it will always be the same in similar circumstances? Or do I have the sense to ask each time, knowing a different strategy may be necessary sometimes? Do I learn from the times I disobey the Lord’s Word and He disciplines me? Or do I make the same error of judgement again? Do I despise those who worship the Lord exuberantly? Will the Lord discipline me because of what He sees in my heart?

Frances
Apr 9th 2011, 03:39 PM
1 Chronicles 16-18

What does the text say? – the Ark was put in the tent prepared for it, Burnt and Peace offerings were made, then David gave everyone there bread, meat and raisins. He appointed some Levites to praise the Lord with music and song then gave Asaph, the chief musician, a song (Ps.105:1-15) to sing; and appointed Obed Edom and 68 other Levites to be gatekeepers. There were also priests at Gibeon to burn offerings to the Lord each morning and evening, and with them were those chosen to give thanks to the Lord ‘for His Love endures forever’. David decided to build a Temple for the Ark, but the Lord said he must not build it, but, after he had died, his son would build it, and He would establish David’s dynasty forever. David praised the Lord. After that David attacked the Philistines and took some of their towns; he defeated Moab, so they paid him tribute; he defeated the king of Zobah, capturing 1,000 chariots, 7,000 charioteers and 20,000 foot soldiers. When the Syrians arrived to help king Hadadezer of Zobah David’s army killed 22.,000 of them and the Syrians became David’s subjects and paid him tribute. The Lord made David victorious wherever he went. David took gold and a lot of bronze - later Solomon used it in the Temple. When Toi, king of Hamath, heard of Hadadezer’s defeat he sent David much silver, gold and bronze, which David dedicated to the Lord, together with what he had taken from the other nations. Joab commanded David’s army and Jehoshaphat was his historian. David’s sons were his chief ministers.

Application? – Do I consult the Lord prior to making decisions? Do I ever do something before the Lord wants it to be done, and when sufficient preparations have not been made? Do I thank the Lord sufficiently for the Blessings He has given me?

Frances
Apr 10th 2011, 06:58 PM
1 Chronicles 19+20

What does the text say? – King Nahash of Ammon died and his son Hanum became king. David sent ambassadors to Hanum to commiserate regarding the death of his father. Hanum’s advisors said David’s ambassadors must be spies, so they were sent away, having first been shaved and their garments cut off at their buttocks. When he heard of the insult David told the men to wait in Jericho until their beards had grown before going back to Jerusalem. When the Ammonites realised they had offended David they hired 32,000 chariots and horsemen from Mesopotamia. When David heard of this he sent Joab and his army to meet them, they chased them away and returned to Jerusalem. The Syrians sent for reinforcements. David led an even greater Israelite army against the Syrians, killing 47,000 men before the remainder surrendered to David and became his servants. In wars with the Philistines 3 giants were killed or enormous size and strength.

Application? – Could I ever mistake other people’s intentions? Would I do well not to do anything hastily, but to ensure all my facts are correct first? Do I treat others with the compassion I would appreciate if I was in a similar position? Have I realised I am always in a spiritual battle, and act accordingly?

Frances
Apr 11th 2011, 04:41 PM
1 Chronicles 21+22

What does the text say? – David sent Joab to take a census of all Israel. Joab replied that doing so could offend the Lord, but David insisted. There were 100,100,000 fighting men, but because Joab did not agree with David taking a census he didn’t include the tribes of Levi or Benjamin. God was displeased about the census so punished Israel; David pleaded with the Lord, so He gave him a choice regarding his punishment. The choices were either 3 years of famine, 3 months of being defeated by their foes, or 3 days of plague. David chose the plague, trusting in God’s Mercy. 70,000 men died before the Lord stopped the angel of death when he was over Arunah’s threshing floor. David built an altar to the Lord there after buying it for 600 shekels of gold. The Lord God sent fire for the sacrifice – so David decided that was where the Temple must be built. From then on David offered sacrifices there instead of going to Gibeon, because he was afraid of the angel’s sword. David began gathering materials for the Temple Solomon would build when he was king – hewn stone, iron for nails, bronze, cedar wood, silver and gold. David told Solomon he had prayed for him, asking that the Lord would give him wisdom and understanding to rule Israel, and told Solomon that he must be careful to obey all the Lord’s rules and regulations, and to do all that the Lord wanted him to, then he’d have no need to be afraid or dismayed, but he would prosper. David also commanded all the leaders of Israel to help Solomon.

Application? – am I aware that my sins will cause me distress in some way. Does what I give to the Lord cost me something. Although the Lord may want someone else to do what I’d like to do for Him, I can still make preparations that will be helpful to them. Do I thank the Lord sufficiently for those who have made preparations for me to serve the Lord? Do I help to build Christ’s Kingdom on earth by telling others of the Salvation He offers?

Frances
Apr 12th 2011, 04:58 PM
1 Chronicles 23-29

What does the text say? – David made Solomon king of Israel. There were 38,000 Levites above 30 years of age – of those 6,000 were officers and judges and 24,000 looked after the work of the Temple ie. 4,000 were gatekeepers, 4,000 musicians to praise the Lord, the rest were divided into groups whose duty was to help the priests, who were also divided into groups and their duties apportioned, and there were also other state officials. David gathered all the leaders of the people, he told them the Lord had chosen Solomon, one of his many sons, to succeed him as king and to build the Temple, and they must all obey the Lord so that they could continue to live in the land He had given them. David also told Solomon to worship and serve the Lord with a willing heart and mind, for if he forsook the Lord, He would reject and forsake Solomon forever. David gave Solomon the plans for the Temple and it’s surroundings, and specifications for items to be used in worship including the weight of gold or silver for each – even for the solid gold meat-hooks to be used for the sacrificial meat – which he said had been given to him by the Lord. David told Solomon to be strong and courageous knowing the Lord God would be with him. David told the assembled people he had willingly given silver, gold, bronze, iron and precious stones for the House of the Lord. David praised the Lord and the people anointed Solomon king again. David had reigned for 40 years, when he died Solomon reigned in his place.

Application? – Have I ensured that I have made adequate preparations for the work I do for the Lord to continue after I die? Are younger members of my family aware that the Lord will forsake them if they don’t worship Him with a willing heart and mind?

Frances
Apr 13th 2011, 05:21 PM
2 Chronicles 1+2

What does the text say? – Solomon led all the leaders of Israel to the Tabernacle (the place to meet with God) at Gibeon where he sacrificed 1,000 burnt offerings on the bronze altar, and asked God for the wisdom and knowledge to govern wisely. God replied that because Solomon had not asked for things for himself, but for his people, he would receive what he had requested and also wealth and fame. Solomon eventually had 1,400 chariots and 12,000 horses and built cities to house them. Horses and chariots were both imported and exported, silver and gold became as plentiful as stone. Solomon had 70,000 labourers to quarry stone and 3,600 foremen to build the Temple, and sent to Hiram, king of Tyre, for a master craftsman to work with silver, gold, bronze and iron, who was a skilled engraver, he also asked for cedar, Cyprus and algum wood; for which he promised to pay with wheat, barley, oil and wine. Hiram agreed to his request, promising to cut the timber in Lebanon and float it along the coast of the Mediterranean to Joppa. Solomon discovered there were 153,600 aliens in the land, so they became his labour force.

Application? – Do I sacrifice all my desires, that displease the Lord, before asking Him for anything? Are my prayers for myself or for others? Is it really my desire to glorify the Lord in all I do?

Frances
Apr 14th 2011, 03:52 PM
2 Chronicles 3+4

What does the text say? – Solomon built the temple 90ft x 30ft plus a 30ft deep vestibule and surrounded by a courtyard, on Mount Moriah where the Lord had appeared to David on Arrunah’s threshing floor. The inside of the Temple was overlaid with pure gold and precious stones. The Most Holy Place was 30 ft deep and overlaid with 23 tons of fine gold, and also the upper areas too. 2 cherubim with outstretched wings were carved and overlaid with gold for the Most Holy Place; they stood side by side with one of their wings touching the wall and the other touching the wing of the other cherubim – their combined wingspan was 30ft. Across the entrance to the Most Holy Place an embroidered linen curtain was hung. There were 2 bronze pillars at the entrance to the Temple. A bronze altar was made 30ft x 30ft x 15ft high, and a 3 inch thick bronze basin 15ft across, 7.5ft deep and 45ft in circumference was made to go on the backs of 12 bronze oxen – it held about 16,000 gallons of water, which was put in the courtyard near the south east corner of the Temple. 10 gold lampstands, 10 tables and 100 bowls were made to go in the Temple. The doors of the courtyard were overlaid with bronze. All the necessary washbasins, shovels, and bowls, and ash buckets etc. were made. All the bronze was cast in clay moulds in the Jordan valley between Succoth and Zarethan.

Application? – Have I fulfilled the Godly desires of my parents? Is my life building something beautiful for the Lord? Is everything done to the best of my ability, or could I spend more time and/or energy on any small thing?

Frances
Apr 15th 2011, 05:27 PM
2 Chronicles 5-7

What does the text say? – Solomon had completed all the requirements of the Temple, and all the leaders were assembled to bring the Ark to the Temple. Innumerable cattle and sheep were sacrificed and the feast continued for 7 days. The Ark was put under the wings of the cherubim in the most Holy Place, it’s carrying poles could be seen from the sanctuary. Nothing was in the Ark except the 2 stone tablets Moses had placed there at Horeb. As the priests and Levites praised the Lord the temple was filled with a cloud. Solomon stood on the bronze platform then knelt down and praised the Lord for keeping His covenant with those who obey Him with all their hearts, he prayed that when the Lord disciplined His people, in a variety of ways, He would Forgive them so that they would fear and obey Him. When Solomon finished praying fire came down from Heaven and consumed the sacrifices, and the Glory of the Lord filled the Temple. Then Solomon and all the people offered sacrifices to the Lord. 22,000 bulls and 120,000 sheep were sacrificed. The singing in praise of the Lord was accompanied with instruments David had provided. Solomon consecrated the middle court in front of the temple for sacrifices as there was not room for them all on the bronze altar. The feast continued for 7 days. On the 8th day a sacred assembly was held. That night the Lord appeared to Solomon and said “If My people who are called by My will humble themselves and pray and seek My face, and turn from their wicked ways, then I will hear from heaven and will Forgive their sins and Heal their land . . . “ and He told Solomon that if he worshipped other gods He would send His people away from His land.

Application?- Do I praise the Lord sufficiently for all He has done for me, and enabled me to do? Do I enjoy Christian celebrations but then forget the Lord in my daily life? Do I humble myself and pray to discover the Lord’s Will, or think my ‘intelligence’ and ‘experience’ is sufficient? Have I turned from all Sin?

Note:- Solomon’s Temple stood for 400 years (970-589BC)

Frances
Apr 16th 2011, 03:47 PM
2 Chronicles 8+9

What does the text say? – After 20 years, when Solomon had built the Temple and his own house, he re-built the cities Hiram had given him and settled his people there, he also built cities for his horses and chariots, and many other things throughout his empire, using the descendants of those left in the land after Israel took it over as forced labour. Solomon offered sacrifices for Sabbaths, and all the Festivals that Moses had commanded. Solomon did not deviate from David’s commands regarding the priests and Levites. Hiram sent Solomon ships with experienced sailors to work with Israeli sailors and they went to Ophir for about 17 tons of gold. When the queen of Sheba heard of Solomon’s wisdom she went to Jerusalem with many attendants and camels loaded with spices, gold and precious jewels; and was overwhelmed by all she discovered. Solomon gave her all she asked for. Each year Solomon received about 25 tons of gold, apart from the revenue from merchants, traders and the kings and governors of the provinces. He made 200 large shields of pure gold weighing 15lbs and 300 smaller ones weighing 7.5 lbs, and put them in the Forest of Lebanon, he also made a very large throne overlaid with gold and inlaid with ivory; it had 6 steps of sandlewood, each having a carved lion at each end, and a footstool of solid gold. All of Solomon’s cups were solid gold as were all the utensils in his palace. Every 3 years his ships returned loaded with gold, silver, ivory, apes and peacocks. All those who visited Solomon gave him things of value eg. gold and horses. Solomon ruled all the kings from the Euphrates to Egypt. After reigning for 40 years Solomon died and his son Rehoboam became king..

Application? – Do I use my wealth wisely and to Glorify God?

Frances
Apr 17th 2011, 04:18 PM
2 Chronicles 10+11

What does the text say? – When Rehoboam was proclaimed king in Shechem Jereboam returned from Egypt, and went with the leaders of Israel to see Rehoboam to ask for the heavy taxes to be reduced. Rehoboam rejected their request, accepted the advise of his friends and said the taxes would be increased instead. Most of Israel turned away from Rehoboam, and when he sent officials to gather taxes they were stoned, but Judah and Benjamin remained faithful to him. Rehoboam gathered an army of 180,000 to fight for his kingdom, but God said the disagreement was His doing, so they didn’t fight Jereboam. Rehoboam fortified 15 towns in Judah and Benjamin that were under his control. All the priests and Levites left their lands and went to Jerusalem from the rest of Israel. Jereboam appointed priests for the pagan shrines he set up, and all the people faithful to the Lord went to Judah. Rehoboam had 18 wives and 60 concubines who bore him 28 sons and 60 daughters; he made his son Abijah the leader of his brothers, and gave responsibilities to his other sons in the fortified towns/cities.

Application? – Do I ensure that any demands I make of others are reasonable from their point of view? Could my dissatisfaction with my situation be God’s way of moving me somewhere else? Would I give up my income to go to where I can freely worship the Lord?

Frances
Apr 18th 2011, 06:45 PM
2 Chronicles 12-14

What does the text say? – Rehoboam forsook the Lord and His Law and all his people disregarded the Lord too; so in the 5th year of his reign the Lord allowed Shishak, king of Egypt, to take fortified cities in Judah and attack Jerusalem with a very large army, including Lubim, Sukkim and Ethiopean troops. Then Rehoboam and all the leaders of his kingdom humbled themselves and turned back to God, so He did not let them be destroyed but let them be Shishak’s servants, to enable them to discover how much better off they were being servants of the Lord. Shishak took all the treasures that were in the temple and the king’s palace. There were many wars between Rehoboam and Jereboam. When Rehoboam had reigned for 17 years he died and his son Abijah became king of Judah. Abijah reigned for 3 years before Jereboam declared war on Judah, but the Lord God helped Abijah as he, and his people, turned to Him and relied on Him whereas the people of Israel worshipped idols. Abijah took 3 Israelite cities and their villages from Jereboam. Ahijah married 14 wives and fathered 22 sons and 16 daughters; when he died his son Asa became king. Asa commanded Judah to be true to the Lord God and he removed all the places of pagan worship, so the Lord gave the land rest from war until the Ethiopians came against Judah. Asa prayed to the Lord and He enabled Asa and his army to win the battle, even though the Ethiopean army was much larger. The Judeans returned home with a lot of plunder.

Application? – Have I learned yet that if I’m true to the Lord, and rely on Him, He will protect me – but if I turn away from Him I will be defeated in the most important areas of my life?

Frances
Apr 19th 2011, 04:51 PM
2 Chronicles 15

What does the text say? – The Lord sent Azariah to Asa, Judah and Benjamin to tell them the Lord would be with them while they were with Him, but if they turned away from Him He would turn away from them – for a long time Israel had been without the true God, without teaching about Him and Law, but when they had turned to Him in their troubles He’d helped them. Asa removed the idols in the land. When he had been king 15 years people from other tribes went to Jerusalem because they knew the Lord was with Asa. There was a celebration when 700 bulls and 7,000 sheep were sacrificed, and the people made a Covenant to seek the Lord with all their heart and soul. Asa de-throned his mother(grandmother?) because she had an Ashera pole erected, but he did not have the places of pagan worship removed. There was peace for 35 years of Asa’s reign, then Basha of Israel invaded Judah, so Asa sent gold and silver from the Temple to Ben-Hadad king of Syria asking for a treaty between them – so Ben-Hadad invaded Israel. At that time the Lord sent Hanani to Asa to tell him that as Asa had not relied on the Lord he would have wars. Asa put Hanani in prison and oppressed some of the people. In the 39th year of his reign Asa’s feet became diseased yet he didn’t go to the Lord for help but to physicians, and died 2 years later.

Application? – Do I always ask the Lord for answers to my problems, or other people? Could the Lord have turned away from me because I have turned away from Him? Might my problems be due to un-Godly leadership in my country? Has my dedication to the Lord, and determination to always put Him first, diminished over the years?

Quote:- (Henry H. Halley) “Asa’s long reign (912-872BC) overlapped 7 kings in the northern kingdom . . . a great wave of reform and prosperity swept the land. . . “

Frances
Apr 20th 2011, 04:30 PM
2 Chronicles 16

What does the text say? – Asa’s son Jehoshaphat became king. The Lord was with him because he followed the example of his father’s former years, and did not worship pagan gods but removed their shrines and the Ashera poles from Judah, and obeyed the Lord God. He sent priests and Levites to all the cities of Judah to teach the people the Law of the Lord. The surrounding nations took Jehoshaphat valuable gifts so he became increasingly powerful; he married Ahab’s sister and became his ally. When Ahab asked Jehoshaphat to go to war with him against Ramoth Gilead Jehoshaphat agreed, but asked Ahab to enquire from the Lord first. Ahab’s prophets agreed that they should go to war, however Jehoshaphat wanted to consult a prophet of the Lord. Michaiah was sent for. He said a lying spirit had beein the mouths of Ahab’s prophets to persuade him to go to war. Micaiah said he had seen the armies of Israel scattered across the mountains without a leader, so Ahab had him imprisoned and decided to go to war in disguise, though Jehoshaphat wore his royal robes. Ahab was wounded by an arrow shot at random , and died at sunset. The Lord protected Jehoshaphat even though he wore his royal robes.

Application? – Have I realised the foolishness of having a partner who is not a Christian, even if they are related to me? Am I learning all I can of the Lord and obeying Him? Do I teach others the Truth of the Lord as found in Scripture – which may not be the same as I have been told by others.

Frances
Apr 21st 2011, 05:35 PM
2 Chronicles 17-20

What does the text say? – Asa’s son Jehoshaphat became king. The Lord was with him because he followed the example of his father’s former years. He did not worship pagan gods but obeyed the Lord God, he removed the pagan shrines and Asherah poles from Judah and sent priests and Levites to all the cities of Judah to teach the people the Law of God. The surrounding nations took Jehoshaphat gifts so he became increasingly powerful, he married Ahab’s relative and became his ally. When Ahab asked him to fight against Ramoth Gilead with him Jehoshaphat agreed, and asked Ahab to enquire from the Lord that day. Ahab’s prophets agreed that they would win the battle. Jehoahaphat wanted to hear from the Lord God, so Michaiah was sent for. He said he’d seen their army scattered on the mountains, and the Lord said they had no master; he had also seen a spirit telling the Lord he would put lies into the mouths of Ahab’s prophets so that Ahab perished. Ahab had Michaiah put in prison. The kings led the army into battle but Ahab wore disguise while Jehoshaphat wore his royal robes. Ahab was killed by an arrow shot at random that penetrated the joints in his armour, and the Lord protected Jehoshaphat. Jehu went to meet Jehoshaphat and said it was not right for him to love and help the enemies of the Lord; as a result the Lord was against him, even though he had removed idols from the land and was seeking God. Then Jehoshaphat encouraged the people to return to the Lord and told the judges their judgement must glorify God. After this the Moabites and Ammonites went to fight against Jehoshaphat, and the Syrians were on their way too, so Jehoashaphat proclaimed a fast and the people went to Jerusalem to pray to the Lord. The Lord told them, through Jahaziel, they must not be afraid or dismayed because the battle was not theirs but God’s; they would not need to fight but just to position themselves then stand and see the salvation of the Lord. Next day those praising the Lord and singing went ahead of the army, and found their enemies had killed each other. Jehoshaphat and his men spent 3 days gathering all the spoils. Then the Lord gave the people of Judah peace. After this Jehoshaphat allied himself with Ahaziah, king of Israel, to make and sail ships, but Ahaziah was wicked so the Lord destroyed the ships. Jehoshaphat reigned 25 years pleasing the Lord, but he didn’t remove the pagan shrines.

Application? – Have I discovered the foolishness of partnering anyone who is not a Christian? Am I learning all I can of the Lord and what He requires of me? Do I teach others from His Word? When I am concerned about anything do I fast and pray to the Lord? Do I prepare for battle while taking the Lord at His Word? After a life of faithfulness to the Lord might I be in danger of making an ungodly alliance?

Frances
Apr 22nd 2011, 03:01 PM
2 Chronicles 21

What does the text say? – When Jehoshaphat died his son Jehoram became king; his 6 brothers had been give fortified cities and wealth by their father. Before long Jehoram killed his brothers and disregarded the Lord – his wife was the daughter of Ahab and Jezebel. The people were encouraged to worship other gods. Elijah wrote to Jehoram telling him that all his family would have serious afflictions and he would have a serious intestinal disease that would kill him. Judah was invaded by the Philistines and Arabians who took all the king’s wives and sons except the youngest, Jehoahaz(Ahaziah/Azariah). Jehoram reigned for 8 years before he died in agony, then his son Azariah became king. His mother was Athaliah who encouraged him to worship other gods. Ahab’s family were his advisors; he even went to war against Syria with Joram, king of Israel, he also fought with Joram against Jehu, and was killed. When Athalia realised her son was dead she killed all the royal heirs except baby Joash, who was hidden by his sister in the Temple for 6 years while Athalia reigned. In the 7th year Jehoida, the priest, secretly arranged for Joash to be crowned king in great security. When Athalia heard the people praising the king she went to the Temple; the guards took her into the palace and killed her. Then Jehoida made a covenant between himself, the people and the king that they would be the Lord’s people. Then they all went and destroyed the temple of Baal and killed the priest; and they put Joash on the Throne.

Application? – Have I made what provision I am able for my family while I am alive? Have I harmed any of my family in any way? If my advisors do not serve the Lord they will draw me away from Him. Am I protecting the rightful leader of my people? Have I made a covenant to always serve the Lord? Am I always true to my word?

Frances
Apr 23rd 2011, 03:55 PM
2 Chronicles 24+25

What does the text say? – Josiah was 7 years old when he became king of Judah, he reigned for 40 years. While Jehoida was guiding him Josiah pleased the Lord. after he had been king some time Josiah decided to repair the Temple, but the Levites hadn’t collected the necessary funds, so he had a chest made which was put in the Temple for contributions. At the end of each day the chest was emptied, the money was used for Temple repairs and necessary utensils. Jehoida died when he was 130 years old and his son Zechariah took his place. The leaders of Judah persuaded Josiah to worship idols instead of the Lord, and wouldn’t listen to prophets the Lord sent. After Zechariah was killed by the Josiah’s command the Lord delivered Judah to the Syrians, then Josiah’s servants killed him. Then his 25 year old son Azariah became king and pleased the Lord – but not wholeheartedly. When he was established as king he executed the officials who had killed his father. He hired 100,000 warriors from Israel to go to war with his army but he was told the Lord would let him be defeated if the Israelites joined his army, so sent them home; but while Judah was at war with the Edomites the Israelites raided several towns between Beth-horon and Samaria, killing 3,000 people and taking much plunder. Amaziah took idols home from the war with the Edomites which made the Lord angry. Amaziah went to war against Israel and was defeated, the Israelites took all the things of value from the Temple and palace, and also hostages to Samaria. 15 years after king Jehoash of Israel died, Azariah’s people conspired against him and killed him.

Application? – My love for the Lord (or lack of it) will influence other people. Do I wholeheartedly please the Lord? or is my worship of Him no more than a habit? Could I have been led from the Lord in some way? Do I treat the Lord’s servants badly? Will the Lord punish me for disregarding Him, or will I truly repent? If I don’t ask the Lord’s advise before making decisions I may well suffer, even if I try to correct my error later. Have I turned against those who’ve given me Godly advise? I cannot escape the Lord’s righteous Judgement.

Frances
Apr 24th 2011, 04:56 PM
2 Chronicles 26-28

What does the text say? – 16 year old Uzziah(Azariah) became king of Judah instead of his father Amaziah, and he reigned for 52 years. As long as Uzziah sought guidance from the Lord he prospered; God helped him in the wars with the Philistines, Arabians, Ammonites and Menuites, and he became very powerful. Uzziah had an army of 307,500 men led by 2,600 officers, all of which were provide with shields, spears, helmets, body armour, bows, sling-shots, and various devises to shoot arrows and large stones. When Uzziah became powerful he also became proud , which led to his downfall, for he burnt incense in the Temple. Azariah, the High Priest and 80 other priests confronted the king with his sin, he was furious and then leprosy appeared on his forehead. Uzziah was a leper, living in isolation, until he died, and his son Jothan was in charge of the kings affairs.. When Uzziah died 25 year old Jotham became king and reigned for 16 years in Jerusalem. Jotham became mighty because he pleased the Lord, but the people were corrupt. When he died his son Ahaz became king, and he worshipped the Baals instead of worshipping the Lord God. God allowed him to be defeated by Syria, Israel, Edom and Philistia even though he sent all the Temple treasures to the king of Assyria he did not help him as Ahaz was continually unfaithful to the Lord. Ahaz even shut the Temple and used the articles in it to make altars to burn incense to other gods. When he died his 29 year old son Hezekiah became king.

Application? – Have I become proud of my own ability without realising the Lord gave that ability and He can, just as easily, take it away? Every good thing I have done is the Lord’s gift to me, do I thank Him sufficiently for those Blessings? Who, or what, do I worship? If I am faithful to the Lord He will enable me to win battles against evil. Am I faithful to the Lord when I am in distress or do I turn to other gods?

Frances
Apr 25th 2011, 06:14 PM
2 Chronicles 29

What does the text say? – Hezekiah reigned for 25 years and pleased the Lord, as David had done. He opened the Temple and repaired the doors, then assembled the priests and Levites and told them to clear out the Temple - it took them 16 days to cleanse and consecrate everything. Hezekiah gathered the leaders of Jerusalem in the Temple and sacrificed 7 bulls, 7 rams, 7 lambs and 7 male goats for a Sin offering, for the kingdom, the sanctuary and for Judah, while the Levites worshipped the Lord with cymbals, trumpets, stringed instruments and harps, and the singers sang until the burnt offerings were finished. The Levites sang the Lord’s praises in the words of David and Asaph. Then ‘as many as had a willing heart’ took animals to sacrifice, there were 70 bulls, 100 rams and 200 lambs. As the Levites had been more diligent in sanctifying themselves than the priests they helped the priests that were sanctified n the work.

Application? – Jesus Christ offered Himself for my Sin – have I accepted His sacrifice? Am I diligent in ensuring there is no sin separating me from the Lord? is there anything I need to repent of? Am I willing to sacrifice what I want and do for whatever the Lord’s Will for me is? Do I clear all the rubbish out of my life to purify my worship of the Lord?

Frances
Apr 26th 2011, 05:20 PM
2 Chronicles 30 - 32

What does the text say? – Hezekiah sent messengers to all in Israel inviting them to celebrate the Passover in Jerusalem in the 2nd month, but the messengers were mocked in Israel. However, some people did go to Jerusalem. Hezekiah prayed for those who had not sanctified themselves but wanted to please God. After the 7 days of joyful celebration and feasting the people decided to continue for another 7 days. Hezekiah gave 1,000 bulls and 7,000 sheep and the officials gave 1,000 bulls and 10,000 sheep and goats. There had not been anything like it since Solomon’s time.
After the celebration of Passover the people went and broke all the pagan images and altars throughout Judah, and also in Benjamin, Ephraim and Manesseh. Hezekiah organised the priests and Levites into groups in a rota to offer sacrifices and to worship and give thanks to the Lord, he also contributed animals for daily sacrifices and required the people to contribute for the support of the priests and Levites, so they could devote themselves to the Law of the Lord. The people took their tithes to the Temple, where store-rooms were prepared for them and men were appointed to distribute the tithes fairly to the priests and Levites who were consecrated to the Lord. After this Sennacherib, the king of Assyria, went to make war against Judah. Hekekiah ordered the springs of water be stopped and the broken sections of wall were repaired, also a 2nd wall was built outside the 1st; he also had weapons and shields made. Hezekiah told the people to be strong and courageous, not afraid or discouraged for they had the Lord God to help them in their battles. While Sennacherib was besieging Lachish he sent men to tell the people of Judah they would not survive because their God was not strong enough to rescue them. The Assyrians talked of Almighty God as though He had no more power than pagan gods. Hezekiah and Isaiah prayed and the Lord sent an angel who killed all the Assyrian leaders(2 Kings 19:35), so Sennacherib retreated to his own land, where his sons killed him. When Hezekiah became ill the Lord answered his prayers, but he was proud and only averted calamity by becoming humble. Hezekiah was wealthy and constructed a great many things, including a tunnel to bring water into Jerusalem from Ghion spring. When ambassadors came from Babylon God tested him – and he failed the test. When Hezekiah died his 12 year old son Manasseh became king.

Application? – Do I encourage others to worship the Lord? Am I willing to go far from home to worship Him? What am I doing to stop pagan worship in my land? Do I provide 10% of my income for God’s work? Faithfulness to the Lord does not guarantee no difficulties, but it does mean He will help fight battles. Do I fully trust the Lord in all things? Do I ask the Lord for His specific help in difficult situations? How do I show my gratitude for the Blessings He has given me? Will I suffer because of my pride, or will I humble myself before the Lord? If God withdraws from me to test me my attitude will ensure the outcome.

Frances
Apr 27th 2011, 06:57 PM
2 Chronicles 33+34

What does the text say? – Manasseh reigned for 55 years. He displeased the Lord by rebuilding the places for un-Godly worship of all kinds, even desecrating the Temple by putting altars for pagan worship there; he sacrificed his sons to Molech, practiced witchcraft and consulted mediums and spiritists. His ways were evil and he encouraged his subjects to be more evil than the nations the Lord had driven out of the land. The Lord spoke to Manasseh and his people but they would not listen, so he brought the Assyrians who took Manasseh to Babylon. When he was in great distress Manasseh turned to the Lord God, and He brought the repentant king back to Judah, then Manasseh knew that the Lord is God, so removed all pagan worship from the land and brought the people back to the Lord. When Manasseh died his 22 year old son Amon became king but only reigned 2 years sacrificing to all the idols his father had made; his servants killed him. The people made his 8 year old son Josiah King, and he reigned for 31 years. When Josiah was 16 he bagan to seek the Lord and 4 years later began to purify Judah, Manasseh, Ephraim, Simeon and Naphtali of all unGodly worship, then he ordered the Temple to be restored. Hilkiah, the priest, found the Book of the Law and gave it to Shaphan who read it to Josiah, who realised the people had not been keeping the Law, so sent representatives to Huldah, the prophetess, to consult the Lord. The Lord said He was going to bring calamity on the land because of the evil done, but because Josiah desired to please Him there would be peace during his lifetime. Then Josiah made the people cleanse the land of all idols, and diligently serve the Lord God.

Application? – Do I need to change my lifestyle to escape the Lord’s discipline? Would I be wise to examine the way of life I learned from my family? If there is anything in my home that was dedicated to an idol, of any sort, I would be wise to get rid of it – whatever it’s monetary value. What am I doing to encourage other people to worship the Lord?

Frances
Apr 28th 2011, 04:48 PM
2 Chronicles 35

What does the text say? – Josiah announced that the Passover would be celebrated and the lambs killed on the 14th day of the 1st month. Josiah gave 3,000 cattle and 30,000 sheep and goats, the leaders of the people gave 2,600 sheep and 300 cattle and the chief Levites gave 5,000 sheep and 500 head of cattle. The animals were slaughtered, the priests sprinkled the blood on the altar, then the Levites skinned them, the burnt offerings were removed, then the people roasted the animals and the holy offerings were boiled. The priests were working from morning to night; the musicians, and gatekeepers had their Passover prepared for them by other Levites. All the people of Judah and Israel in Jerusalem celebrated the Passover and Feast of Unleavened Bread for 7 days. This Passover took place in the 18th year of Josiah’s reign. After that, when Josiah had finished restoring the Temple , king Necho of Egypt led his army to fight at Carchemish on the Euphrates so Josiah led his army to fight against them. Necho sent messengers to Josiah saying God had told him to make haste to his destination, and if Josiah insisted on fighting he would be fighting against God. But Josiah did not heed God’s warning from Necho and was mortally wounded, and died.

Application? – Do I remember the ways the Lord has Blessed my ancestors in the past and encourage others to remember as well? Do I regularly celebrate the death and resurrection of Jesus Christ, on my behalf? Do I do things for the Lord but not heed His Word to me? Could I be in danger of losing the Life the Lord offers because I don’t recognise His messenger?

Quote:- (Henry H. Halley) “When Josiah (639 – 608BC) was 26 the finding of the Book of the Law gave great impetus to the most thorough reformation Judah had known, but the people were, at heart, idolaters; for the long and wicked reign of Manasseh had just about obliterated God from their thinking. Josiah’s reforms delayed, but could not avert, the fast approaching doom of Judah. . . . The Scythinan invasion . . . greatly weakened Assyria . . . . Josiah, as a vassal of Assyria, felt it was his duty to attack Pharoah, at Meggido, and was killed.”

Frances
Apr 29th 2011, 04:58 PM
2 Chronicles 36

What does the text say? – When Josiah died his 23 year old son Jehoahaz became king (608 BC) and reigned for 3 months before King Necho, took him to Egypt, and made his 25yer old brother Eliakim king, changing his name to Jehoiakim. Jehoiakim displeased the Lord for 11 years (608 – 597 BC) before Nebuchadnezzar took him to Babylon and his 8 year old son, Jehoiachin, became king. About 3 months later he was taken to Babylon with things of value from the Temple. Then Zedekiah, Jehoiakim’s 21 year old brother became king and reigned for 11 years; he did not turn back to the Lord when confronted by Jeremiah and he also rebelled against Nebuchadnezzar . the people and their leaders worshipped idols and defiled the Temple. The Lord had compassion on His people and sent messengers to them, but they mocked them and took no notice of what the Lord said. The Lord sent the Babylonians who took everything from the Temple, then burnt it and the palaces, and took the people who had not been killed to Babylon; they were there until Persia came to power 70 years later. In the 1st year of Cyrus, king of Persia, he made a proclamation, saying the Lord God had commanded him to rebuild the temple in Jerusalem, and any of the Jews could go to do the work.

Quote:- (Henry H. Halley) – “Jehoiakim was placed on the throne by Pharoah. After 3 years he was subdued by Babylon (Dan. 1:1). Then he served the king of Babylon 3 years, then revolted. The king of Babylon came and bound him in chains, but ere he left the city he died or was killed, and buried as an ass(Jer. 22:18-19; 36:30). He was conceited, hardhearted and wicked, the exact opposite of his father Josiah. He sought repeatedly to kill Jeremiah (Jer. 26:21; 36:26). Jehoiachin reigned 3 months was taken to Babylon where he lived at least 37 years. Zedekiah . . . .a weak king . . . Nebuchadnezzar put out his eyes and took him to Babylon(Jer. 52:11) This was the apparent end of David’s kingdom.