PDA

View Full Version : Fresh quake triggers tsunami warning in Japan

moonglow
Apr 7th 2011, 03:49 PM
http://www.cnn.com/2011/WORLD/asiapcf/04/07/japan.quake/index.html?hpt=T1&iref=BN1

Tokyo (CNN) -- A 7.4-magnitude earthquake struck Japan on Thursday, triggering a tsunami warning for one prefecture.

Workers evacuated the Fukushima Daiichi nuclear plant following the quake, the Tokyo Electric Power Co. said. Tokyo Electric said it has communication with the plant and the power is still on. There were no immediate reports of damage, it said.

The quake's epicenter was off the coast of Miyagi in northeastern Japan, the Japan Meteorological Agency said.

Public broadcaster NHK reported a tsunami warning for Miyagi prefecture, saying people in that area should evacuate away from the shore to a safe place.

NHK also reported a tsunami advisory for Iwate prefecture, saying a tsunami is expected to arrive in coastal regions there as well. rest at the link.

I tell you I fear for these people...:(

catlover
Apr 7th 2011, 05:17 PM
I read this and I also saw where Mexico had a pretty big quake. If wonder if our forum needs to have a separate thread just for earthquakes and such as this seems to be happening more than usual. !

Jeanne D
Apr 7th 2011, 05:41 PM
Oh no, not again! I'm praying for those poor people. :(

Jeanne

Hunter121
Apr 8th 2011, 03:05 AM
I read this and I also saw where Mexico had a pretty big quake. If wonder if our forum needs to have a separate thread just for earthquakes and such as this seems to be happening more than usual. !

I know it's all really bad, but have you wondered maybe god is punishing Japan, since their major religion is hinduism and buddahism, although I'm sure the righteous were shown mercy.

RR van Wyk
Apr 8th 2011, 05:18 AM
I know it's all really bad, but have you wondered maybe god is punishing Japan, since their major religion is hinduism and buddahism, although I'm sure the righteous were shown mercy.

Then the whole world should be punished. And maybe Christians even more so, for knowing the truth, but not always following it as they should.

bdh
Apr 8th 2011, 01:26 PM
Then the whole world should be punished. And maybe Christians even more so, for knowing the truth, but not always following it as they should.
Not exactly what one wants to hear but uncomfortably true!

moonglow
Apr 8th 2011, 02:59 PM

Very true. The bible shows us in the OT when God judged a nation He usually didn't use natural disasters...and He usually had a prophet warning them long in advance to change their ways. Nothing like that happened in Japan..no prophets warning ahead of time and sadly I am sure Christians died in those quakes too. In all major quakes or other natural disasters there is no evidence of Christians being spared. Christian churches are often destroyed along with other religions gathering place too!

Anyway I did some looking again as to whether their is an increase in quakes for not and am finding conflicting stories on it...here is one:

Are Mega Earthquakes on the Rise?
Becky Ham, Inside Science News Service (http://www.livescience.com/13632-mega-earthquakes-increasing-japan-indonesia.html)

The devastating 2004 Indonesian tsunami, with its death toll of as many as 250,000 people, was caused by the first magnitude-9.0 earthquake since 1967. A succession of smaller but still destructive tremors in Haiti, Chile, and New Zealand — surpassed by this year's magnitude-9.0 quake in Japan — has some researchers wondering whether the number of large earthquakes is on the rise.

An earthquake represents the abrupt release of seismic strain that has built up over the years as plates of the Earth's crust slowly grind and catch against each other. Giant earthquakes live up to their fearsome name. The biggest ever recorded was the magnitude-9.5 Chile earthquake of 1960. It accounts for about a quarter of the total seismic strain released worldwide since 1900. In just three minutes, the recent quake in Japan unleashed one-twentieth of that global total according to geophysicist Richard Aster at the New Mexico Institute of Mining and Technology in Socorro.

The Indonesian quake "reinvigorated interest in these giants," said Aster, who is also president of the Seismological Society of America. The Chile and Japan earthquakes — along with a magnitude-9.2 quake in Alaska in 1964 — also triggered catastrophic tsunamis.

After a lull in large quakes in the 1980s and 1990s, we may now be in the middle of a new age of large earthquakes, Aster added.

Read the rest at the link...basically they don't know. Its a watch and wait thing.

Now this next article is interesting because the author says there have been no increase in earthquakes and posts graph's from the government earthquake site to prove it...read the comments at the end of the article though...:hmm:

http://www.structuralgeology.org/2011/03/more-earthquakes-now-end-world.html
Are there more earthquakes in our days? Is the end of the world here?
Rocked by Jorge en 20:49
Not even 24 hours have passed since the deadly 8.9 Mw earthquake in Honshu, Japan, and already conspiranoics, cranks and even some broadcasters are opening the door of the panic room in the internet: Are we having more earthquakes now than some years ago? Is the end of the world approaching? Is Gaia trying to get rid of us?

The answer to all these questions is a big NO.

I saw on my home page this morning five new earthquakes hit Arkansas again..these are small ones and their is a debate its due to the drilling for natural gas there. Right now of course I can't find the article..will post it when I can.

Meanwhile here is the history of major earthquakes in the past..I think reading this and comparing it to our time is important before people jump to the conclusion that earthquakes are getting worse...they were very bad in the past too.

History of Great Earthquakes (http://www.pdc.org/iweb/earthquake_history.jsp)

Every year thousands of earthquakes occur around the world that are strong enough to be felt by people. Of these, only a few hundred are of sufficient size to produce significant damage, and fewer still are large enough to cause substantial damage. Below is a U.S. Geological Survey (USGS) list of some of the most devastating earthquakes recorded around the world dating back to 1755. click link to see the chart and scroll down to read in more detail..pictures showing damage to building in the past are also on there.

Oh one of those listed from the past is Japan:

Tokyo-Yokohama, Japan, September 1, 1923
Magnitude 8.3; 143,000 people killed.
The 1923 earthquake was one of Japan's worst natural disasters. The ground shook for five minutes as the Sagami Bay Fault ruptured. Thousands of buildings collapsed and a tsunami measuring 36 feet (11 meters) struck the coast. Most destructive of all were the resulting fires. A massive firestorm swept through Tokyo, destroying two thirds of the city's remaining buildings and burning thousands. A commemoration service is held annually in Tokyo on the anniversary of the catastrophic event.

God bless

RevLogos
Apr 8th 2011, 05:05 PM
For the last few years, around March, I download the USGS earthquake database back to 1973 and look for trends. This year's analysis is at the link below. It is a set of PowerPoint slides converted to PDF. You are welcome to have a look.

As of January this year I do not see any trends that indicate something supernatural is going on. There are some interesting things though.

I suspect that if and when God decides to make a move (literally), people won't be coming to me looking for subtle statistical trends. It will be manifestly obvious.

http://members.cox.net/revolvr/Earthquake%20Analysis%202011-Feb.pdf

Be advised the file is about 6 megs.

HisLeast
Apr 8th 2011, 07:42 PM
I know it's all really bad, but have you wondered maybe god is punishing Japan, since their major religion is hinduism and buddahism,

Ahhh the Friends of Job. Always there when you need 'em.

Job's friends were convinced that his calamity was due to sin. Job professes his innocence and his friends grow angry with him for withholding a confession. They hold a theology where bad things only happen to bad people, and good people only experience good things. Remember how God responded? Job 42:7-9 Not only were they chastised by God himself, but also commanded to make heavy sacrificial offerings. Even after sacrifices its left up to Job to pray for the forgiveness of his friends.

The God of the Bible is sovereign. When the wicked receive blessings and the righteous suffer, we will not understand and have NO BUSINESS questioning God. Job 38:2 is clear: "Who is this that obscures my plans with words without knowledge?". In other words "Just what do you know about being God?". God tells Job's friends "I am angry with you because you have not spoken the truth about me". What wasn't true? The idea that bad stuff happens to bad people and good stuff happens to good people according to our myopic human perspective.

Judge God's motives at your own risk, but when you do, please make sure you're as far away from me as possible.

Equating calamity with sin destoys fellowship and credibility
The church is an untrustworthy ally in times of need. If my church declares authoritatively that Haiti was devastated because of devil worship from generations ago, and that Japan was devastated for similar reasons, what can I expect from the church when a precious son is dying an agonizing cancerous death? What can I expect from the church when a dear daughter is date raped or a spouse is mangled in a car wreck? What can I expect from the church when the pain & grief threaten to suffocate me? The only thing one can expect, is to be told how richly you deserve such torment.

This is why when other Christians ask me how I am, I say "Just fine thank you".

although I'm sure the righteous were shown mercy.
Not at all. By all accounts Christian communities within Japan have suffered along with the rest. Their plight will be ignored though, since the base assumption is only evil people are affected by disaster, therefore those affected must be wicked.

RabbiKnife
Apr 8th 2011, 07:44 PM
Disciples wanted to know whose sin resulting in the man being born blind, or in the death of the guys that the tower fell on.

Jesus basically told them to grow up.

moonglow
Apr 9th 2011, 12:31 AM

Job's friends were convinced that his calamity was due to sin. Job professes his innocence and his friends grow angry with him for withholding a confession. They hold a theology where bad things only happen to bad people, and good people only experience good things. Remember how God responded? Job 42:7-9 Not only were they chastised by God himself, but also commanded to make heavy sacrificial offerings. Even after sacrifices its left up to Job to pray for the forgiveness of his friends.

The God of the Bible is sovereign. When the wicked receive blessings and the righteous suffer, we will not understand and have NO BUSINESS questioning God. Job 38:2 is clear: "Who is this that obscures my plans with words without knowledge?". In other words "Just what do you know about being God?". God tells Job's friends "I am angry with you because you have not spoken the truth about me". What wasn't true? The idea that bad stuff happens to bad people and good stuff happens to good people according to our myopic human perspective.

Judge God's motives at your own risk, but when you do, please make sure you're as far away from me as possible.

The church is an untrustworthy ally in times of need. If my church declares authoritatively that Haiti was devastated because of devil worship from generations ago, and that Japan was devastated for similar reasons, what can I expect from the church when a precious son is dying an agonizing cancerous death? What can I expect from the church when a dear daughter is date raped or a spouse is mangled in a car wreck? What can I expect from the church when the pain & grief threaten to suffocate me? The only thing one can expect, is to be told how richly you deserve such torment.

Not at all. By all accounts Christian communities within Japan have suffered along with the rest. Their plight will be ignored though, since the base assumption is only evil people are affected by disaster, therefore those affected must be wicked.

Excellent post again, clearly showing the massive and dangerous flaws in this kind of thinking...not too mention it just doesn't line up with the bible at all. BAD things happen ALL the time to the righteous in the bible...David complains about it in his palms ...yet he always ends it knowing eventually, justice will be done...even if it takes until judgement day.

Every disciple of Jesus with the exception of one...died a horrible death..killed for their faith. They weren't protected from that..though protected until it was their time to die. Sometimes I wonder when Christians say things like this..it must be the wrath on God on these people, if they have even read their bibles. Not too mention the huge lack of compassion it shows and yes leads people to think turning to the church in times of crisis would be the worse thing they should do being told they must have sinned and deserved this suffering....how awful. :cry:

Luckily in most churches all I have found IS compassion. Compassion for Haiti in not just prayers but sending aide to them, in sending missionaries to help...our church is in the process of raising money to send people over this summer to help out. Many are praying for those in Japan rather then judging them. And when people have gotten sick in our church (or even people we just hear about) or hurt or dying from cancer....people are there for them in every way they can be. I have no idea what those do that think bad things can't happen to good Christian people..if they help or not because I have never been around them. Only see these few on the net. So I would go to the church if something happened to a loved one of mine because I do trust my church...thank God for good churches out there.

God bless

moonglow
Apr 9th 2011, 12:31 AM
For the last few years, around March, I download the USGS earthquake database back to 1973 and look for trends. This year's analysis is at the link below. It is a set of PowerPoint slides converted to PDF. You are welcome to have a look.

As of January this year I do not see any trends that indicate something supernatural is going on. There are some interesting things though.

I suspect that if and when God decides to make a move (literally), people won't be coming to me looking for subtle statistical trends. It will be manifestly obvious.

http://members.cox.net/revolvr/Earthquake%20Analysis%202011-Feb.pdf

Be advised the file is about 6 megs.

Thanks for that...very interesting indeed. :)

God bless

Hunter121
Apr 10th 2011, 07:27 PM

Wow, thanks for this post, I was being just like jobs friends (except Elihu), although I doubt japan was being tested.:P

mattlad22
Apr 10th 2011, 08:49 PM

8) Jesus even returns again to the subject when talking about the calamity of the the collapsed towers. He explains they didnt die because they were wicked but died because they were in the tower.
He does go on to confirm the sad part though by telling everyone that without the salvation of the Son likewise to those people all will perish the same.

Ah ic Rabbi has already, simularly posted about the towers 8)