PDA

View Full Version : In The Bible

Uncle Bud
Apr 12th 2011, 09:29 PM
I hear many people say if something is not in the Bible, we shouldn't believe it, and I agree. But what if there are examples of something in the Bible? I'm specifically referring to people being told when they will die, such as Hezekiah, Hananiah, and the Rich Farmer (Luke 12).

Or swift judgment such as on Korah and Anannias & Sapphira.

Or of God giving visions of future events.

RabbiKnife
Apr 12th 2011, 09:32 PM
Gilligan, go back to the hut. Your "friend" that is the acknowledged false prophet LIED when he told you that God told him when you would die, and that was years ago, remember?

Now then, if God actually tells you when you will die, then I am quite certain that you will die like God says! But I think that the odds of God actually telling you the date of your death are quite remote...

:D

Uncle Bud
Apr 12th 2011, 09:38 PM
His "explaination" as to why it didn't happen was that I improved on rage issues, especially toward my family, God didn't take me. He gave a seperate message about a head injury if I didn't work on it, but I thought they were two different things.

RabbiKnife
Apr 12th 2011, 09:40 PM
Yeah, and my horoscope says that for an ugly old man I look pretty good.

Uncle Bud
Apr 12th 2011, 09:44 PM
Actually, I wasn't referring to just my friend. My main question was what if there are examples of something in the Bible? I have had people tell me to go only by the Bible. If true, what do I do when the Bible does say something happens sometimes? This only makes things more confusing.

mattlad22
Apr 12th 2011, 09:50 PM
Gilligan, go back to the hut. Your "friend" that is the acknowledged false prophet LIED when he told you that God told him when you would die, and that was years ago, remember?

Now then, if God actually tells you when you will die, then I am quite certain that you will die like God says! But I think that the odds of God actually telling you the date of your death are quite remote...

I agree, im not sure He will say the date, not that He couldnt.

I had a simular dream not long after i believed Jesus is Christ.

Short form.
In my dream i went into a place and spoke with a man for awhile beside a tree, underground.
Then sort of like a rollercoaster, i went through picture's and when that finished ended up with a multitude of people, very few i knew and most i didnt (physical recognition) and I said to one I knew in this life "See the Lord is true"
We were then led to a place I cant even describe, but there was a very large tree in this amazingly beautiful place and i felt, well free.

Anyways from this dream ive always felt i would "go away" before some of the people i recognized later on in the dream and was grouped with. (one of the recognized is less than a year younger than i am)
So in other words, I was kind of being told when i would die, but not specifically to the point.

Now this is what i thought death was before i believed in Christ, i wasnt sure but most likely nothingness.
This dream came to me pretty early in my scripture study and at that time I thought death was instantly I would be led to heaven to be with God.
So yeah i just shared those two last things so you could get a grasp on my mental thoughts in both situations.

Hunter121
Apr 12th 2011, 10:46 PM

I agree, I dont think you should listen to this man, mainly because when god told a prophet, lets say Jeremiah that Babylon would destroy and capture Judah, what happened, Babylon destroyed and captured Judah, so if god told this man when you would die, don't you think you would of died, I mean it is god were talking about, not some bipolar person.

Uncle Bud
Apr 12th 2011, 10:50 PM
That is good to know after the fact. But how are we supposed to know if a message is from God or not before the scheduled time of fulfillment? If someone is told they will be taken home to Heaven by age 47, how are they supposed to know if it's a false prophecy at age 44 ?

Bandit
Apr 12th 2011, 10:51 PM
Yeah, and my horoscope says that for an ugly old man I look pretty good.

Yea, mine said the same thing about you... must be true then!

mattlad22
Apr 12th 2011, 11:09 PM
That is good to know after the fact. But how are we supposed to know if a message is from God or not before the scheduled time of fulfillment? If someone is told they will be taken home to Heaven by age 47, how are they supposed to know if it's a false prophecy at age 44 ?

If your willing, you could pm me the prophecy.

Servant89
Apr 12th 2011, 11:14 PM

AMEN! AMEN! AMEN!

Shalom

Firefighter
Apr 13th 2011, 12:55 AM
Jesus said his sheep knows his voice.

tango
Apr 13th 2011, 01:07 AM
Actually, I wasn't referring to just my friend. My main question was what if there are examples of something in the Bible? I have had people tell me to go only by the Bible. If true, what do I do when the Bible does say something happens sometimes? This only makes things more confusing.

Examples of something in the Bible merely means that God sometimes chooses to work that way. Since God is God, God gets to decide how he works, when he works, and if he does something that he's never done before. It's one of the perks of the job I guess.

In Ezekiel 24 we see God telling his prophet about the impending death of his wife. What can we conclude from this? That Ezekiel was told his wife would be taken from him. It doesn't mean I'm going to be told when my wife will be taken from me, nor that I won't predecease her, nor anything else relating to when we're going to die nor the sequence.

Going back to your friend who told you about the time of your death, if someone claims to be speaking on God's behalf but gets things so badly wrong I wouldn't listen to them any more. A message that says "if you don't repent this is how you'll be punished" is one thing but simply saying something will happen and then coming up with excuses as to why it didn't doesn't sound like very convincing prophecy to me.

On the note of what to believe relating to things that aren't in the Bible. The Bible tells us a lot of good stuff but it's not an exhaustive list of every fact known to man. I've got a broken clock over my fireplace but I doubt you'll find any verses in the Bible to confirm that - the fact it's not stated in the Bible doesn't mean it isn't true.

tango
Apr 13th 2011, 01:09 AM

Partly from the gift of discernment, potentially considering the track record of the speaker, partly from God confirming things through other means.

If God wanted you to know the day you would die in this day and age I suspect he would send a message in a way that made it perfectly clear not only that it would happen but that the person delivering the message was delivering something directly from God.

RabbiKnife
Apr 13th 2011, 01:35 PM
If you knew for certain, 100% sure, that you would die tomorrow, would it change the way you live your life today?

If the answer is "yes," then you need to change the way you live your life today.

Uncle Bud
Apr 13th 2011, 02:26 PM
Partly from the gift of discernment, potentially considering the track record of the speaker, partly from God confirming things through other means.

If God wanted you to know the day you would die in this day and age I suspect he would send a message in a way that made it perfectly clear not only that it would happen but that the person delivering the message was delivering something directly from God.
I thought I had three or four confirmations verifying his message, but I see I was wrong.

moonglow
Apr 13th 2011, 03:29 PM
I thought I had three or four confirmations verifying his message, but I see I was wrong.

Sadly I think too many people get caught up in prophecies and in 'confirming them'...they want to be 'part of the show' not thinking through the conquenses of what happens when they are wrong. The times God, or working through a prophet or disciple, let someone know they or someone else was going to die was very rare and it was only done for a specific reason...very specific reason. There is no reason for most of us...if any at all...to know when we are going to die.

This was obviously false in your case and I think you need to ask yourself why after all these years you haven't been able to let go of this...write it off as being false, stop believing anything this man says or the people that confirmed it and move on. To me that is the important question here...why keep dwelling on it? Its consuming you when you could be doing something more productive with your thoughts and time. You are a very smart guy Gilligan...you do some truly great indepth posts on here but then you eventually end up back on this subject and its stealing your time when you could be posting on other topics and helping people. Remember what the bible says..the devil comes to kill, steal and destroy. One of the things he does best is steal our time...gets us chewing on the same bone over and over again. :cool:

RabbiKnife

If you knew for certain, 100% sure, that you would die tomorrow, would it change the way you live your life today?

If the answer is "yes," then you need to change the way you live your life today.

I agree with this.

God bless

Uncle Bud
Apr 13th 2011, 03:44 PM
It wasn't my friend who gave the other confirmations, they were from other sources who knew nothing about the message. That may be why it's hard to get over it.

1. I had two seperate episodes at church where the song leader picked the number 47 out of both the hymnal AND the chorus book in the same song service. I thought that may have been confirmation.

2. Got many, many phone calls for burial insurance.

3. Sermon at Camp Meeting about death. Happened to be the only day I was there.

4. Funeral home misplaced information and calls back a year later to see if I'm still interested.

moonglow
Apr 13th 2011, 04:02 PM
It wasn't my friend who gave the other confirmations, they were from other sources who knew nothing about the message. That may be why it's hard to get over it.

1. I had two seperate episodes at church where the song leader picked the number 47 out of both the hymnal AND the chorus book in the same song service. I thought that may have been confirmation.

2. Got many phone calls for burial insurance.

3. Message at Camp Meeting about death.

4. Funeral home misplaced information and calls back a year later to see if I'm still interested.

Oh so it was coincidence then, not confirmation from actual people saying you were going to die at age 47. My understanding is it needs to be confirmed by other Christians not just coincidence, though I could see why you would think this and it is kind of creepy...:hmm: But the thing is if your friend hadn't said this...would those things had have any meaning to you if you were more sensitive to the issue? I doubt it.

Its like one time my son and I got out of the doctor's office late in the afternoon and few cars were in the parking lot. Well we noticed three bright red vehicles were all parked close together in the lot so I started making jokes around a red car convention in town. As we drove around all we noticed (suddenly) were all the red cars! It was like wow...maybe there really is a red car convention in town. :hmm: But the thing is those red cars had always been there we just hadn't been paying attention before.

When a person becomes more alert to a certain thing they tend to over focus on it..like with the red cars and with you over focusing on death and the number 47...suddenly it seems to be everywhere.

God bless

crawfish
Apr 13th 2011, 04:03 PM

If you are living like you should, for God every single day in preparation of His coming, it shouldn't matter. :)

tango
Apr 13th 2011, 05:07 PM

Honestly Gilligan, from what you've posted here it seems to me like you've received a message and then actively hunted down anything that might be a confirmation of it. The song leader picking song number 47 is a random occurrence, and getting junk phone calls is stretching a confirmation past breaking point.

If a message like "you'll die when you're 47" were to be confirmed by God I'd expect something a lot more concrete than the number 47 popping up at random and without any context. If other people within the church told you that age 47 would be a very significant time for you that might be a confirmation, but even then for something as significant as a prediction of your death I'd expect someone else completely unrelated to give you a very similar message.

When you're looking for something, anything, to act as a confirmation for a message you've heard it's amazing how many times you'll find things that match. If God is going to deliver a message of any great significance he's not going to leave you playing guessing games.

Bandit
Apr 15th 2011, 12:49 AM

If I knew for sure that I would die tomorrow, there are certain people I know who would receive a serious talking to. (But they would be just as unlikely to receive my words as my chances of dying tomorrow, so why burn those bridges now? If I wait, there is still a small chance that they may come to their senses, and afterwards I might be able to have a much more fruitful conversation with them.)

Thomas White
Apr 15th 2011, 01:15 AM

I'm going to break it down pretty simple... Here it is: We don't know. Sure it could be a real prophecy but does it matter? We live our life in service to the Lord not in the fear of the afterlife. Understand this, the future does not matter. If we live for the future then we miss the power of God in the present. Speculating or whether this is real or not will only result in you missing the chance for God's saving grace because you are so concerned with using human logic to save yourself from a prophecy that may or may not be true.

What it comes down to is that we don't know. Do not be fooled by images of things to come when in the end Jesus is coming either way. That is the only end. May the mercy of God the Father, the peace of our Lord Jesus Christ, and the fellowship of the Holy Spirit be with you!