PDA

View Full Version : Is it ok to listen to other music?

john_316
Sep 26th 2004, 07:46 PM
Is it ok to listen to other music other than christian music? I serached throw the bible and didn't find much. Does anyone know the answer to this question?!please answer

Gwen

Avegen
Sep 26th 2004, 07:52 PM
I think the music is okay as long as it doesn't have sinful nature to it, like swearing or sinful messages (i.e., beating people up, s*x, et cetera). Ever heard the song "Peanut Butter Jelly Time"? I don't think that's sinful... it just goes on and on about peanut butter and jelly... But stuff from people like Marylin Manson or Godsmack or whatever, you don't need to be listening to that trash.

Jer
Sep 27th 2004, 12:20 PM
I agree with that ^ but also have something else to add. If you find yourself attracted to a singer or band and/ or are starting to turn them into a God then it would be wise to stay away from them as well.

Charlie the man
Oct 16th 2004, 11:35 AM
Personally, I listen to stuff like Metallica, Megadeth, AC/DC, Guns N' Roses, etc. I even have some of their CDs. On that subject briefly, I have 6 Metallica, 3 Megadeth, 3 AC/DC, and 3 Guns N' Roses. I'd elaborate on which ones, but I'm already slipping off-topic.

In my opinion, I think it's perfectly fine to listen to whatever you want, as long as the songs don't have satanistic content in the lyrics. If you have a CD with a satanistic song on it for example, just don't listen to the song. And though I don't care much for them, music videos are fine as well as long as they don't have any trash in 'em.

childofthelord
Oct 16th 2004, 03:07 PM
For me personally, I haven't listened to much other than christian music lately. I just don't get the same feeling from the music i used to prefer. I was an avid staind, linkin park etc. fan. I still like their music n all, but when i decide to listen to the radio or a cd, i always seem to end up listening to christian.

Go figure.

But I agree that it is not wrong as long as you are strong enough in your faith that those songs dont influence you to do any unchristian things or think unchristian thoughts! If you are at a weak point in your faith, i suggest finding some christian music that speaks to you!! I have found that being a very musical person, it is a good way for me to stay in the right path and get encouragement!

GOD BLESS

life_boy
Oct 16th 2004, 05:13 PM
You wanna hear something interesting: I don't really know what "Christian music" is! I mean, is it music made by Christians, lyrics that have Christian content, songs that sound worshipful, songs that worship God explicitly in the lyrics, songs that have "godly chords," albums released on a label that is advertised as "Christian," albums that can only be bought in a "Christian bookstore," etc., etc., etc.? To get to the point, I don't think there is any clear cut line between the secular and the sacred besides that which we put on it ourselves. Is it more godly to listen to Michael W. Smith or Radiohead? Well, to be honest, I never listen to Michael W. Smith but Radiohead is one of my favorite bands.

The important thing is mainly to be conscious of what you are listening to and the affect it has on you...in other words, being discerning. We all have different struggles and different things that cause us to stumble. Examine what those things are and figure out how your life is effected by those things. Music can be a stumbling block for some and certain types of music can be also. But, we're all different. Along with those different struggles, and personalities, God gave us all different tastes, not as a way to torture us out of not enjoying what we enjoy (by forcing us to listen to music only released by Dove Records or something like that), but by letting us enjoy this life that he has given to us. The thing we have to watch is that our focus remains too carnal, too much on the everyday and not as focused on the eternal.

Anyway, I say all that to eventually say, listen, but listen with discernment. Discernment has often become a catch-all phrase for stopping something that we do once we realize it has something wrong with it. I don't think that is a complete definition of discernment (although that aspect is very much a part of it). Many times, I think, discernment is simply being able to recognize something as a falsity and can then find the truth in the scriptures and relate the song, artist, album back to it. Sometimes we feel called or moved by the Holy Spirit to do away with certain aspects of our lifestyles and musical choices, but this doesn't look the same for everyone. Music is a very powerful medium of expression and therefore it is also an easy connection between people with similar musical interests. More than likely, God has given you specific musical tastes for a purpose. We are given freedom in Christ, but with that freedom, we have the responsibility to keep our focus and to listen to his guidance in regards to every aspect of our life.

thecorch
Oct 16th 2004, 06:24 PM
I think that music is something that all Christians struggle with. What should we listen to? What shouldn't we listen to?

Personally, I think that Christians should recognize one thing above all others when choosing what music they'll listen to: If you buy an album you're supporting (at least to some degree) the artist who made the album. I think that it's escapism to say that if you have an album with a satanic song on it that you should just skip over that song. If you're buying the record you're supporting that band and their satanic beliefs; you're supporting their drug habits and sinful lifestyles.

I believe that as Christians we should use discretion in the music that we listen to. We have to consider what the music says, what are the messages? Does it talk about sinful things all of the time? Or is it neutral? A band like Jimmy Eat World, while they're not Christians, don't talk about a lot of sinful things.

Remember, what goes in will come out.

Also, I think that you should recognize that there's music made by Christians that isn't Christian music. A band like Copeland or Underoath (I'm trying to draw on different genres) while all of their songs don't sing about Jesus all of the band members are Christians and are very serious about their beliefs.

I'll leave you with this thought, that can be applied to a million different areas of your life: Don't ask how close you can get to the world, but how close you can get to God.

Pray for guidance in deciding what kind of music to listen to. And if you need any suggestions I'm a college student who's obsessed with good music; I'm sure I can recommend some good bands to you.

Cheers.

krazy_4given_1
Oct 18th 2004, 09:00 PM
This is just my opinion but, I think its ok. I think its 'bad' when you start looking too much into it, and start believing or trying what it is talking about (Considering it is something bad, that is.) But, if you're not listening to it to get ideas or to become that, and just listening to it because you like the music, I think its fine.
Its just like T.V or movies. They say they're OK even when they have violence and drugs and what not (What many songs talk about.) in them. :D

kdub
Oct 20th 2004, 06:57 PM
can't go wrong with most country music. if you like that sort of thing.lol

alphatan
Oct 25th 2004, 10:12 AM
What was Satan do in the heaven before betrayed GOD?

Satan was a archangel and leaded a worship team in the heaven, what does it mean? It mean satan was pretty good in music.. he know all kind of music..

Don't you think satan will use music to influence us? Satan will let go any chances?

Satan will use anything to influence us, he will use anything to keep us away from GOD.

We might say it won't happen as long as we "discretion" about it, it will be ok. Is this true? Let us think carefully.

How many times, we do thing with discretion but still fall into temptations?

shalom..
alpha

Katatonic
Oct 25th 2004, 11:40 AM
can't go wrong with most country music. if you like that sort of thing.lol

I beg to differ ;)

Satan was a archangel and leaded a worship team in the heaven, what does it mean? It mean satan was pretty good in music.. he know all kind of music..

:confused

Blue Tide
Oct 25th 2004, 08:35 PM
Hey Everyone,

I believe that Christian music should uplift, inspire, and help us in our walk with the Lord. If it doesn't, what difference does it have from the non-Christian music? I personally never hear anything I would like to listen to come out of a non-Christian singer. Christian music has a meaning and actually the true meaning of life. So, I believe it sounds better, since the singers are singing from their heart, and inspired by Jesus. If they are not glorifying Jesus in their music, I believe they have fallen short of their goal. That's my two cents. :D

God Bless

Josiah

alphatan
Oct 27th 2004, 08:55 AM
Mat 4:7 Jesus said to him, "Again it is written, 'You shall not put the Lord your God to the test.'"

I agreed with Blue Tide, listen to christian music are going to uplift, inspire our spiritual. In fact it also can help our spiritual grow.. and to worship GOD all the times.

shalom..
alpha
- Follow HIM -

kranich
Oct 27th 2004, 04:39 PM
Is it ok to listen to other music other than christian music? I serached throw the bible and didn't find much. Does anyone know the answer to this question?!please answer

Gwen

It is OK to do anything that does not bring dishonor to God. Basically- chose your music wisely.

Doxology
Oct 27th 2004, 04:49 PM

Don't you think satan will use music to influence us? Satan will let go any chances?

Excuse me?

Gwen
Good question, personally I dislike christian music. And I can't find a verse in the Bible that says bad music is wrong. I used to listen to groups from Psychopathic Records (insane clown posse, twiztid, ect) when I was younger, and I still have like 20 CDs from them. I don't listen much anymore, but if I wanted to, I don't know what's wrong with it. I'd like some scripture that fights against bad music.

hermbros
Oct 27th 2004, 07:29 PM
Excuse me?

Good question, personally I dislike christian music. And I can't find a verse in the Bible that says bad music is wrong. I used to listen to groups from Psychopathic Records (insane clown posse, twiztid, ect) when I was younger, and I still have like 20 CDs from them. I don't listen much anymore, but if I wanted to, I don't know what's wrong with it. I'd like some scripture that fights against bad music.

You're right, there will be no scripture saying "Thou shalt not listen to Insane Clown Posse or any band from Psychopathic Records." However, I believe what the other members are saying is that some music may influence your train of thought or actions. ie. Heavy Death Metal core music making you angry or Rap music influencing swearing, drugs or worshipping money. But if you can listen to these types of music and keep your head straight and not have it influence you then I see no problem.

I personally do not listen to much christian music (my mom has it on much of the time though), but I try not to listen to any real hateful music either. I personally love listening to techno and rap because I can groove to the beats etc. but that does not mean I go on drug trips or swear fests (well I try not to) and it doesn't bring me further away from the Lord.

Blue Tide
Oct 27th 2004, 08:34 PM
Hello Matt,

Could I please ask you a question? :)

Do you believe that murder,lying, stealing, and swearing are wrong?

Doxology
Oct 27th 2004, 10:26 PM
Hello Matt,

Could I please ask you a question? :)

Do you believe that murder,lying, stealing, and swearing are wrong?
Yes, but listening to somone else TALK about those things isn't a sin..

Well, it's not a sin till God shows me it is.

Blue Tide
Oct 27th 2004, 10:35 PM
Philippians 4:8-9
Finally, brethren, whatever things are true, whatever things are noble, whatever things are just, whatever things are pure, whatever things are lovely, whatever things are of good report, if there is any virtue and if there is anything praiseworthy--meditate on these things. The things which you learned and received and heard and saw in me, these do, and the God of peace will be with you.

Nehemiah 12:46
For long ago, in the days of David and Asaph, there had been directors for the singers and for the songs of praise and thanksgiving to God.

Ephesians 5:19

Speak to one another with psalms, hymns and spiritual songs. Sing and make music in your heart to the Lord, always giving thanks to God the Father for everything, in the name of our Lord Jesus Christ.

:D

sdf
Oct 27th 2004, 11:12 PM
Personally, I believe that when the Scripture says to "sing and make melody in your heart", that it literally means to sing and make the melody in your heart, not on an insturment. The original Greek word used meant "to sing". I find it interesting that for the first 500 years of the exsistence of the NT church, there was music, but no insturments. Today's Christian music has wonderful lyrics, but is also being offered upto the Lord with mechanical insturments. In the words of Charles Spurgeon, "I'd rather pray by a mechanical insturment than worship by one." I know that it was accepted in the OT, but lot's of things changed when Christ rose from the dead and I believe that the way we are to make music is one of them. When we sing and make the melody in our heart, not on a insturment, we are worshipping and praising the Lord with our heart, which is also our soul. Hence, "worship in truth and in spirit". Therefore, I have a problem with praising the Lord with any kind of insturmental additives.

Asto the original question, I feel that as long as the song does not have sinful lyrics or the music does not tempt you into any un-Godly actions, then you must use your own judgement. Paul taught that somethings were sinful for one while the same thing was not sinful for another. But you must never use that as a license to commit a sin!!!

Ok, I am going to run and hide now because I know most all of you are fixing to start throwing things at me! LOL

Blue Tide
Oct 27th 2004, 11:38 PM
Ok, I am going to run and hide now because I know most all of you are fixing to start throwing things at me! LOLThere is this big rock right here. :lol:

Therefore, I have a problem with praising the Lord with any kind of insturmental additives.
What if we are praising Him from our heart with our instruments? :)

Katatonic
Oct 28th 2004, 12:15 AM
Personally, I believe that when the Scripture says to "sing and make melody in your heart", that it literally means to sing and make the melody in your heart, not on an insturment. The original Greek word used meant "to sing". I find it interesting that for the first 500 years of the exsistence of the NT church, there was music, but no insturments. Today's Christian music has wonderful lyrics, but is also being offered upto the Lord with mechanical insturments. In the words of Charles Spurgeon, "I'd rather pray by a mechanical insturment than worship by one." I know that it was accepted in the OT, but lot's of things changed when Christ rose from the dead and I believe that the way we are to make music is one of them. When we sing and make the melody in our heart, not on a insturment, we are worshipping and praising the Lord with our heart, which is also our soul. Hence, "worship in truth and in spirit". Therefore, I have a problem with praising the Lord with any kind of insturmental additives.

Asto the original question, I feel that as long as the song does not have sinful lyrics or the music does not tempt you into any un-Godly actions, then you must use your own judgement. Paul taught that somethings were sinful for one while the same thing was not sinful for another. But you must never use that as a license to commit a sin!!!

Ok, I am going to run and hide now because I know most all of you are fixing to start throwing things at me! LOL

THAT is a huge call. Rocks are at the ready ;)

alphatan
Oct 28th 2004, 03:22 AM
I think some ppl had misunderstand me, I am not saying "cannot" listen to other music but only christian music. It is your choice not mine so i cannot stop you but what I trying to tell you is that music is a powerful tool which is easy control our mind and mood.

Whatever we do should please GOD.

stephenm1
Oct 28th 2004, 03:53 AM
there is alot of great christian music. i have about 2000 christian songs. not all of them are great, but they are so uplifting. i listen to radio cuz its clean. but all that swearing sometimes bothers me. im 19 and its easy to access all that music. if its playing in my friends car, thats one thing. but i definately try to listen to christian music. some of those words are just what i need to hear and they give me peace and a willingness to know God better. if u wouldnt listen to it with God sitting next to u then dont do it, cuz hes listening too. and quite frankly if i have to hear one more time about how many girls or guns someone has, im gonna drive myself off a bridge.:B

Blue Tide
Oct 28th 2004, 04:21 AM
Yes, but listening to somone else TALK about those things isn't a sin..

Well, it's not a sin till God shows me it is.
The reason I asked you this is I don't know why you would want to listen to, and support music the promotes the very things you know are wrong, and God hates. :)

These six things the LORD hates,
Yes, seven are an abomination to Him:
A proud look,
A lying tongue,
Hands that shed innocent blood,
A heart that devises wicked plans,
Feet that are swift in running to evil,
A false witness who speaks lies,
And one who sows discord among brethren.

Proverbs 16-19

Katatonic
Oct 28th 2004, 01:11 PM
The reason I asked you this is I don't know why you would want to listen to, and support music the promotes the very things you know are wrong, and God hates. :)

I think that there is a very distinct line between singing about something and promoting something, a line that many Christians fail to recognise. For instance, many of the bands I listen to would have themes that centralise around death and depression, without actually promoting a lifestyle that is negative or in any way harmful. It is extraordinarily rare you will find a band whose lyrics are speaking in the imperative sense about things like that.

I think it is a good rule of thumb to keep away from any bands that seem to be promoting, instead of just observing or exploring.

Blue Tide
Oct 28th 2004, 08:37 PM
My main point is basically off this scripture.

Philippians 4:8-9
Finally, brethren, whatever things are true, whatever things are noble, whatever things are just, whatever things are pure, whatever things are lovely, whatever things are of good report, if there is any virtue and if there is anything praiseworthy--meditate on these things. The things which you learned and received and heard and saw in me, these do, and the God of peace will be with you.

I believe as Christians we need to fill our selfs with good things and not things the can bring us down or depress us. :D

God Bless

Josiah

JesusFreak0927
Oct 31st 2004, 03:24 AM
I believe music is a gift that God gave us to praise Him and we should use it just for that. I used to listen to a lot of music of the world(all about sex, drugs, and living the life of the rock n roll idol). While I was listening to this "music" I found myself falling away from God until eventually I rarely prayed, read my bible, or went to church.... God was in my life but I was not listening to Him. It was not until a friend of mine died who I had went to church with and had not seen for a while. I started going back to church and God told me I needed to turn around and start living the life He gave me right. That very day I took 90 percent of CDs to a used CD store and got rid of them. I have since then been listening to only Christian music, I mean I have kept a few of my other CDs but most of time if I put them in I listen to about half a song and put something else in. Since I have started this I have not been swearing, my temper has been way down, and I just feel all around better about myself. I do not mean to ramble so I will end it with this: God gives us free will to chose what we want to listen to, some of it He approves, some He does not. Use your own discrestion.

Love in Christ,

Joe

Prayin_saint
Oct 31st 2004, 01:59 PM
I know that when I'm with my non-Christian friends and listening to their music I get to feeling just so... dirty and filthy... After dance class (where we listen to non-christian music) I have a strong temptation to swear (which I hate to hear swearing/vulgar/crude terms ....so that's saying somethng!) I feel so horribly just... wrong. But I notice that once I pop in an Acappella, , DcTalk, Newsboys, Relient K or Audio A cd I feel so much better and can have fun boppin around to lyrics that put honor where honor is due. Some of my favorite experiences have been going to concerts (I've actually been to three newsboys concerts within the last year and a half.) It is such an awesome thing! This last time I went to a concert, I brought a friend with me... and she loved it! She said it was so much better than the ones she goes to for other sorts of music, my sisters friends said the same.

Another thing and I'll be done... (I'm loving this extra hour today! But I still need to get ready for chuch!) At my summer camp, Uplift, I was hanging out with some girls in one of the dorm rooms and we were chatting, having junk food and all... and an older girl, Johnna, was listening to some of her music. She was doin her little head sway thing and then started 'singing' (see, it was rap ;) ) along with the song. I listened to her and was horrified. I stared... the other girls started listening and they were horrified, too. Johnna looked up, suprised... then said, 'oh... oops. uh... different song.' she switched the song and started to sing... then stopped... then switched songs... then switched songs again.... after she went through her whole mp3 player she realized that she really should just turn the music off, 'cause she had no songs which she could sing to in front of Chrisitians...

I always look at the lyrics to songs I have (christian and non, I love to learn the words so I can sing along) Lyrics.com and other such places are great...you won't just 'discover' bad words or bad messages later on if you look ahead. Censorship is key here... what we spend our time thinking about and singing about should be thing that praise the Lord,(as Blue Tide said) and it says a whole lot about us, too. We're called to be different.
Some things to think on, my friends! :hug: s all around!
Sarah
<><

Blue Tide
Nov 1st 2004, 10:56 PM
dirty and filthy...
That sums it up right there, that's how I feel with all things of this world, I feel sick inside, dirty and filthy.

I always look at the lyrics to songs I haveMe too. :lol: Actually, I do it before I buy an album to make sure the group lines up with what the Bible says. ;)

God Bless :hug:

Josiah

Therefore, if anyone is in Christ, he is a new creation; old things have passed away; behold, all things have become new.
2 Corinthians 5:17 (NKJV)

pmttrucker86
Nov 16th 2004, 07:26 AM
ok people here is what i say

i myself listen to alot of music that is not christian based . i am a huge fan of pink avril lavin and gretchin wilson. but i listen to quite a few christian bands as well. alot of times i cant tell the difference unless rob zombie or icp come on. i also have friends who are not christian and never placed a foot in church before in there lives. i can play my pillar cd while we are working on a car and they cant tell it is christian eithier. i believe if you are carful of the music then you can weed yourself through pretty well. as for icp, the bible may not say to never listen to them but if we are to live with him inside us could you really picture jesus bangin his head with the beat of icp?:hmm:

Gods pure love
Nov 16th 2004, 10:44 PM
Why do you want to listen to music that is not glorifying God?

Isn't that the point of music, isn't that the point of life.

I know it is hard at times to seperate ourselves from the world and what we once enjoyed of it, but if it's not gloryfying God and is not edifying in His ways, then it's useless, we need to turn all our lives over to serving God, in serving God is the purity, the meaning of life, you can't do this listening to worldly music.

If it's God's Word that goes in then your heart will purified by His Word, and then what comes out is what you've been given of God, but if what goes in is of the world, then isn't what comes out going to be also?

If you listen to worldly music, then isn't it because you enjoy it, but the point of the music is not to gloryfy God, but is most likely to gloryfy man in many worldly ways, you may even have respect for the unGodly singer, then of course the question is why have you respect and think someone cool who is unGodly, not of God.

The things of God we to live by, this is our new bread of life, the world can only feed us of the world, but God truly nourishes us by what is truly edifying in Him.

David danced and sung to God, gloryfying God, what do you think he would have thought of someone singing about themselves, and even in unGodly ways gloryfying unGodly living?

Katatonic
Nov 16th 2004, 11:34 PM
Why do you want to listen to music that is not glorifying God?

Isn't that the point of music, isn't that the point of life.

I know it is hard at times to seperate ourselves from the world and what we once enjoyed of it, but if it's not gloryfying God and is not edifying in His ways, then it's useless, we need to turn all our lives over to serving God, in serving God is the purity, the meaning of life, you can't do this listening to worldly music.

If it's God's Word that goes in then your heart will purified by His Word, and then what comes out is what you've been given of God, but if what goes in is of the world, then isn't what comes out going to be also?

If you listen to worldly music, then isn't it because you enjoy it, but the point of the music is not to gloryfy God, but is most likely to gloryfy man in many worldly ways, you may even have respect for the unGodly singer, then of course the question is why have you respect and think someone cool who is unGodly, not of God.

The things of God we to live by, this is our new bread of life, the world can only feed us of the world, but God truly nourishes us by what is truly edifying in Him.

David danced and sung to God, gloryfying God, what do you think he would have thought of someone singing about themselves, and even in unGodly ways gloryfying unGodly living?

So are you saying we aren't allowed to respect non-Christians?

Gods pure love
Nov 17th 2004, 12:14 AM
So are you saying we aren't allowed to respect non-Christians?Allowed, there's no not allowed to do anything, you can do as you want the same as anyone, my view, all things are done to glory of God to walk in His righteousness.

Act 10:34 Then Peter opened [his] mouth, and said, Of a truth I perceive that God is no respecter of persons:
Act 10:35 But in every nation he that feareth him, and worketh righteousness, is accepted with him.

Man is only man as you and me, God is the only thing to be sought for, only His ways can do as any good.

Respect popstars and film stars and sports stars, why would you, they are men like you and me, and sinful men, love them is something different.
Respect authority, parents, even government, your boss or teacher, but this respect is so you are not rebellious.

But respect of a person, who deserves respect only God, see the love and purity in a person, of which only comes from God.
Everyman needs God, all have sinned, the love for you fellow man, the love that can save our souls, purify our hearts, is of God in walking in His ways, taking heed to His Word, righteousness, true pure goodness is only of God.

We were lost without God, we sought respect of persons, we wanted man to respect us, of which led us in many prideful sinful ways, well in my case anyhow.
We want to look cool in front of others, in things that are of no importance, if we have our hearts right with God, only then are we someone, and even then we are not to be prideful in it, being self righteous and looking down on others.
We are all sinners, but only Gods love can save us, and in the love of God we are called to walk in, the world will try to drag us into many things, and entice our respect of things that are not Godly, even in people that are are not of God.
But no film star, no sports star, pop star whatever, none of them have anything if they have not the love of God.

What is there to be respected, that someone is good at a sport who has men cheering at them as if they are a god someone to be respected.
What about their glamourous lifestyles, care for no one attitude, take their pleasure in the wealth of the world, in the fame and respect of themselves by the world.
Is this what you want, do you desire the life of an unGodly man rich in the worlds respect and wealth, or do you desire the life of a man of God in purity in heart not desiring the vain glory of the world, and it's vain riches, but desiring the pure love of God in humility of heart.

crazycheetah
Nov 17th 2004, 12:40 AM
My 2 cents after putting some more thought into it: Honestly, I can rarely stand most christian music. Why? It's too happy. Yes, I know the common answer to that right away. "No wonder you're depressed all the time!" Well... music, in my opinion, is more than just singing about God and what the bible says. It's an art. And as an art, it has a vast array of what it can hold. Honestly, most of the music I listen to now-a-days is instrumentals and vocals that I think sound good (generally falls into Rock and Metal, with an occasional showing up of Blues, Jazz, etc.) with lyrics that I can relate to. If that means that I listen to a lot of music that fits into what some would call "depressive" than so be it. It's just of my opinion that I get bored with music all together when I can't relate to the lyrics and it doesn't have instrumentals that I can do stuff to.

Now, by doing stuff to, I mean... ok, I like to dance, head bang, if it's in a concert, moshing, or just instrumentals that are relaxing to listen to with vocals that are fun to sing with.

Honestly, I walk around at school from time to time listening to secular music such as Linkin Park. Now, I've been told that they're bad to listen to because the lyrics are rather... well, not happy, that's for sure. However, I'm not a very happy person, and I don't want to be listening to music with lyrics that I have no hope in relating to. And so goes away all of the worship music I have, and I'm left with a select few including secular stuff, with the likes of 12 Stones, POD (for a couple of their songs), Stavesacre, and a few others (and to earn brownie points :lol: what I can of Edify... still trying to get a hold of the CD, but the little I have is holding me off until then, heh). Those 3 are christain (though some say POD isn't really christian at all...) but I also find that their lyrics don't really talk about God as much some times, as much as they just talk about life from more of a christian stand point (at least the songs I listen to most of the time).

Now, honestly, I've purposely also picked up music where I knew the band members and many others claimed that it was all demon inspired. Now... I wouldn't suggest just anyone listening to that... but there's reasons why some would listen to it. Mine's for a couple: 1. Want to know that side of the story so that I can better fight it; 2. Know what it is so that I know what someone who listens to it a bunch is on about. I've been told that it's not a good idea to go through with it for those reasons... and for many it's probably really not, but for me it's strengthened my faith. I couldn't stress it enough, though, that some will take a shock to their faith by listening to it, so no, it's not good for probably many to be listening to it.

My point in summary: I think you can listen to anything that doesn't get in the way of your faith. At best, things that lead you to praise and worship God are there. However, that doesn't have to be even just your general "happy go lucky" broohaha with "Praise God!" or "God is Holy!" in every song. For some, they need that. And for those, they should stick to it. But then there's others who can listen to even this demon inspired music (which, personally, I would still think it should only be done in extreme moderation, and with more prayer) . So, I think it's all case sensitive. It depends on who you are, and what seperates you from God--which I, personally, believe is not 100% the same for every person.

Love ya!

xSTEADFASTx
Nov 17th 2004, 09:34 PM
-slips in-

I really don't know whats worse. In one had at church we sing "I could sing of your love forever" and other great songs that we fall short of following what we say. "I 'am the sacrifice; heres my life"...its interesting to say the least some of the things we sing sometimes. I 'am not advocating that its wrong; I just dont feel sometimes I can sing those songs. Personaly I feel it a personal discression for you to listen to what you do.

What comes into a man doesnt defile him; but what comes out...

Gods pure love
Nov 17th 2004, 11:30 PM
What comes into a man doesnt defile him; but what comes out...

don't you think this is a little out of context?

This meant about those who ate with unwashed hands, and the food going into a mans belly.

Music, T.V.(or films) and even video games have influenced people to kill.

If the world through T.V., music or video games teach you things are o.k. even moral, even loving, the world who watches and listens really does listen and what they take in teaches them in it's ways, it's a fact the t.v, media, music, those in the lime light from such things, they influence people.

Blue Tide
Nov 18th 2004, 03:10 AM
It amazes my how many people have posted saying that it's okay to listen to death metal, or worldly music, if I doesn't effect your faith. One question comes to mind, how do you know it isn't?

We all must be careful in our actions, not to give the devil any opening to influence , or deceive us.

Be sober, be vigilant; because your adversary the devil walks about like a roaring lion, seeking whom he may devour.

1 Peter 5:8

crazycheetah
Nov 18th 2004, 04:10 AM
how do you know it isn't?

To that, it could be asked how do you know listening to all "worship" isn't effecting your faith either? However, for me, most music has some effect on me. Whether it's my faith, or just some thoughts, it's there. In the case of what I listen to, it relaxes me and actually gets me more focused on God. Yes, even the secular stuff I listen to a bunch does that to me. It might not make sense how hearing "Everything you say to me takes me one step closer to the edge and I'm about to break" could make me focused on God, to you, but it does, and I can explain why. It's simply because a lot of times I feel that exact same way, and I find myself going to God with my thoughts like that. If anything, because of that, it's bringing me closer to God, because it focuses me on God and gets me talking with him in a deeper manner.

For others, I can't speak. However, that's me, and I still stand by my beliefs that some do need to even listen to nothing but hymns. If everything else creates a stumbling block in their faith, then so be it, they need to stay clear of it. And, because of that, I need to avoid playing most of what I listen to so that they can hear it. When I'm only around people that can handle the music I listen to without stumbling, though, there's no reason for me not to listen to it.

Love ya!

Blue Tide
Nov 18th 2004, 04:56 AM
If music is not to Jesus, who, or what is it to?

God Bless :)

Josiah

xSTEADFASTx
Nov 18th 2004, 06:00 AM
True it was about food. My error. Art is art.......is it not? Does your TV stay on TBN? It's like this; the same thing I tell people about tattoos and piercings: personal convictions; if you feel convicted by listening to secular; then don't; if you don't feel then thats there progrative.

xSTEADFASTx
Nov 18th 2004, 06:02 AM
Name a type of music that doesn't bring emotion more then anything else? People worhsip more during a keychange then they do the whole song 9/20's also..people tend to dance when theres a song played about dancing...so in a sense; is it the reason we dance from worship; or is it just the song?

Gods pure love
Nov 18th 2004, 11:52 PM
True it was about food. My error. Art is art.......is it not? Does your TV stay on TBN? It's like this; the same thing I tell people about tattoos and piercings: personal convictions; if you feel convicted by listening to secular; then don't; if you don't feel then thats there progrative.
Art is art, but no one knows what art is, and have you seen what get's passed for art today, you can do anything and call it art, the more weird the better.

No i don't watch TBN, i watch very little TV a bit of news, and do watch the odd documentry if it has some purpose in my walk with God, i have watched TBN i think, well i have watched some of the american Christian channels, and there's much of it that saddens me.

Personal conviction, it's a poor excuse today, everyone uses it, those who call themselves homosexuals Christians use it, for they know others have been saved from this sin.

The Word is preached so we do learn so we are convicted, so we walk more with God and less by the things of the world.

You can use this personal conviction with anything, the common excuse today is aslong as i'm not hurting anyone else it's o.k.
So by this teaching, same sex is seen as o.k. even loving, wicca is seen as o.k. ,and even demon inspired music, and so much more is creeping into Christianity.

We aren't called to walk in the footsteps of the world in their things, we are called to walk in the footsteps of Yshua.
Yshua would only sing to God, would only respect God, would only encourage the ways of God, would only take delight in the pure psalms and songs from the pure in heart praising God reaching out to God.

Worldly music sings of the world, praises things of the world, lifestyles of the world, what the world sees as love who reject God, encourages self pride and righteousness in everyman their own ways.

Do you say if you're not convicted do what pleases you, i say see what pleases God, do what pleases God in His ways, they are the true fullfillment of life, it is the true meaningful pleasure of love, not selfish vain pleasures in things the world praise, but walking in the love of God, to the praise of God and seeing the pure true and only righteousness which is of His ways, to His glory, for only He above can show us the true way, and it's not the vain pleasures of the world, but from a pure heart following God in selfless love, righteousness and humility for man, forgiveness, reaching out to our fellow man, showing them the perfect love of God.

I don't see the music of the world has a part in this, i only see it dragging people from Gods ways.
Dancing, singing, music is to praise God, these things should only be done to the praise of God, not man.
If you only dance to music, as you say it's the music you dance to, the music you worship, and even those playing and singing it.

Music can be deceiving today, and i see some thinking Christian music is the thing that touches them, you have these modern Christian bands and it's seen as a music ministry, but if the music is praised and not God then i think they've got it wrong.
Music can be used to praise God, but music of itself is nothing ,but it can be used to praise gods, praise man, to dance and flirt in night clubs, for people to get their messages across in gansta rap ect.

It's not about dancing to the beat of the music, it's about dancing to praise God, the music is to play sweet melodies to God, to be used with the songs, it's not the music we are to have our hearts on but God, the music is only a form of praise, just like dancing or singing.

xSTEADFASTx
Nov 19th 2004, 05:49 AM
I 'am not advicating vulgarity; and second; I have a good head on my shoulders. True somethings may be weird to others; as I can see the beauty in a well played distorted guitar aswell to the smooth playing of a violin. Some people may only hear vocals and growls; but the words have depth! I tend to stay away from stuff I feel I shouldnt listen to. For instance; I really like a band called Thursday; they arent christain; arent vulgar; and have just beautiful scenerys written in words. Everything isnt wrong; and everything isnt as we would like to see it.
When it comes to the statements about personal convictions; I'am sure theres things you feel comfortable with that I could never.So thats kind of interesting...

Gods pure love
Nov 19th 2004, 11:58 PM
I 'am not advicating vulgarity; and second; I have a good head on my shoulders. True somethings may be weird to others; as I can see the beauty in a well played distorted guitar aswell to the smooth playing of a violin. Some people may only hear vocals and growls; but the words have depth! I tend to stay away from stuff I feel I shouldnt listen to. For instance; I really like a band called Thursday; they arent christain; arent vulgar; and have just beautiful scenerys written in words. Everything isnt wrong; and everything isnt as we would like to see it.
When it comes to the statements about personal convictions; I'am sure theres things you feel comfortable with that I could never.So thats kind of interesting...
You can have the greatest head on your shoulders, i'm not sure what that means though, are you saying your clever and sensible in the world, or great and strong in Faith?

Being wise in the world is nothing, and in Faith greater men than me and you have fallen.

I only say this out of concern for you and the world today, there is much, so much that can lead us astray.
You can listen to the world in all their deep words, beautiful poetry, their own rightoeus opinions, but if they are not of God, they know not truth or beauty.

The world says beauty is eye of the beholder, but the truth is beauty is the hand of God, reached out to everyone.

Everyone sees their own beauty and righteousness by their own mind, but Gods way, Gods beauty, is something far greater.

It's not about personal conviction, it's about the conviction of God's love, we see His pure, perfect love, through His son, in His complete life, His words, His teachings, the pure sacrifice He made for us the sinner.
We are to be born again, our walk is no longer to be of the world, the man of old is crucified, and the world and lusts and affections of it.
We are to walk in the Spirit of God, led by a new greater desire of our heart.

It's not my way, or yours, that we are to live by, it's not a personal way that we of ourselves choose how to serve God, for then it is our way.
But it's God's way we are to serve, His way for our hearts, we can't choose it the way we desire, we give our lives to God, it's His way we want to serve, His love is the pleasure of our hearts, His way is love, the true love.

crazycheetah
Nov 20th 2004, 12:47 AM
:hmm: I felt like I should say this....

Personally, honestly, I find that I can rarely listen to lyrics that are distinctly mentioning God every time you turn around. The only time I can is at church, and then I find myself in prayer more than I find myself listening to the music. It's actually rather simple why, for me, too. My hearts not in it most of the time, and I usually can't get my heart into something that bores me, as a lot of christian music does. Knowing this, I'm convinced that it's better for me to listen to stuff that I can focus on, and it puts my focus on God than that stuff that puts my focus on not wanting to listen to it. And, as I said before, even the secular selection that I have does that for me.

Now that, also, is different for many people. I'm aware of that. I respect those people's needs for the different music. However, this is the path that I need to take with what I listen to in order to truly worship God in spirit.

As for the dancing, again, I can't speak for anyone else, but for me, yes, I'm dancing according to the beat etc. of the music when I do it. The difference between what I'm doing and what you'd call worshipping the music, however, is that I do it with a heart of worshipping God by doing it. Others may and will find that it's not that easy for them, but despite some people's thoughts, people DO differ on those things. For me it's easy to worship God by dancing according to the music. For some it's easy to worship God by just sitting there. For others, it's hard. (By the way, I know people that fit into the other 2 I just said.)

Love ya!

Blue Tide
Nov 20th 2004, 02:13 AM
I find that I can rarely listen to lyrics that are distinctly mentioning God every time you turn around.
Don't you want to hear all you can about the one who saved you from death, and gave you life? :pp

Why should we listen to music from where we came from, where we were saved out of? Jesus has given us a new life. Jesus is Life, the world is death.

Therefore, if anyone is in Christ, he is a new creation; old things have passed away; behold, all things have become new. Corinthians 5:17

Therefore if the Son makes you free, you shall be free indeed. John 8:36

For the wages of sin is death, but the gift of God is eternal life in Christ Jesus our Lord. Romans 6:23

And the world is passing away, and the lust of it; but he who does the will of God abides forever. 1 John 2:17

God Bless

Josiah

xSTEADFASTx
Nov 20th 2004, 05:07 AM
Theres some people that can handle a setting and or area others can't for example theres two pastors the go to p[o]rn conventions and go where the church is afarid to. How does thie protain to music? It's this; I feel that I can handle what I listen to. I dont listen to anything that degrades the trinity; nor anything exceedingly vulgar. True; theres nothing more beautiful then the love of God. People like Henry David Threou; Ralph Waldo Emerson; and other great poets; there work is so amazing. You can appreicate it for what it is and not be "astry". I love to do graphic arts; I made my av myself. It may not be directly; "christain" but it's nothing thats gunna seperate me from God.

Gods pure love
Nov 20th 2004, 05:14 AM
Personally, honestly, I find that I can rarely listen to lyrics that are distinctly mentioning God every time you turn around. The only time I can is at church, and then I find myself in prayer more than I find myself listening to the music. It's actually rather simple why, for me, too. My hearts not in it most of the time, and I usually can't get my heart into something that bores me, as a lot of christian music does

I don't want to seem like i'm judging you in anyway, please hear my words out of the love they are intended.

I think you're lacking here in that your heart is not in it.
Wouldn't you like your heart to be in it, to be fullfilled with all that praises God, or would you rather this other music?
I think you said you can relate to this other music more, not sure if you meant demon inspired music or not, but i'm sort of guessing that sort of depressive music you can relate to, in that maybe your heart feels the same as the message in the music.

Maybe it makes you feel low in that you can call on God, maybe in saddened mind, i don't know tell me if i've misunderstood.

What i'm thinking is, you are relying on this music to put you in a state of mind where you think you can be closer to God, and this may be one of sorrow, in that your music is about.

I can understand Godly sorrow, but this is not the music you are listening to, read the Psalms, the Bible, this talks of Godly sorrow.
Take a listen to this testimony of Nicky Cruz, the love of God convicts him, a man of pure evil, voilence and hatred in heart.
He broke down in tears, a vicious gang leader.

http://www.sermonindex.net/modules/mydownloads/viewcat.php?cid=335

You don't have to praise God in songs, i can understand that, but it's not that you don't like music, for you say you do, only not really Godly music.
I really think you need to see that the love of God is the answer, the cure of all things.

This is the love we are to live by, not just by word, but by heart, this love is what can truly save, it can save souls.

Please if you can, take a listen to that audio, it really does show how the most vicious of men can be brought to their knees, weeping, seeing, feeling the love of God.
This is the love that all men need to hear, all this world today in it's evil needs to hear.

I know most of the world today can relate to evil as voilence, but the other evils in heart is ignored.
Porn, adultery, covetousness, rebelliousness, pride, they are not seen as evil today, they are seen as a normal part of man, pride is even encouraged as a good quality today.

What did Paul say:
Co 6:9 Know ye not that the unrighteous shall not inherit the kingdom of God? Be not deceived: neither fornicators, nor idolaters, nor adulterers, nor effeminate, nor abusers of themselves with mankind,
1Co 6:10 Nor thieves, nor covetous, nor drunkards, nor revilers, nor extortioners, shall inherit the kingdom of God.
1Co 6:11 And such were some of you: but ye are washed, but ye are sanctified, but ye are justified in the name of the Lord Jesus, and by the Spirit of our God.

Gal 5:19 Now the works of the flesh are manifest, which are [these]; Adultery, fornication, uncleanness, lasciviousness,
Gal 5:20 Idolatry, witchcraft, hatred, variance, emulations, wrath, strife, seditions, heresies,
Gal 5:21 Envyings, murders, drunkenness, revellings, and such like: of the which I tell you before, as I have also told [you] in time past, that they which do such things shall not inherit the kingdom of God.
Gal 5:22 But the fruit of the Spirit is love, joy, peace, longsuffering, gentleness, goodness, faith,
Gal 5:23 Meekness, temperance: against such there is no law.
Gal 5:24 And they that are Christ's have crucified the flesh with the affections and lusts.
Gal 5:25 If we live in the Spirit, let us also walk in the Spirit.
Gal 5:26 Let us not be desirous of vain glory, provoking one another, envying one another.

According to Pauls words not mine, most of this world, including many Christians today will not inherit the kingdom of God.
This is a very sad thing, we need to help one another encourage one another, in the ways of the Spirit, i don't know you crazycheetah, but from your posts on this thread i don't think you are exactly walking in the Spirit, i don't think i do as i should either.
There is a love this world needs, it's no evil, it's love. pure righteousness, everything in Gods Word is there for our good, we seem to think today God wants to keep us from good things, That was the thought the serpent put in Eves mind.
God wants to give us all, to walk in the most perfect true rewarding way of life, and this is not about money or riches of the world, this is about the treasure of God, the riches of the heart.
God doesn't want to free us from anything good, but from the evil, even the fruitless things of the world, the empty vain things.

Things that have no part in our Spiritual growth, they shouldn't even be an issue, in God we are to long to serve.
I undertsand you say this type of music helps you worship God, how does it help you show others His love.
How many by the help of this music have you had weeping repenting before God.

As i said even though i'm not that sure i got it right, but if this music sort of brings you in a sorrowful spirit, then i think you are being deceived.
I don't think this demon inspired music can bring you closer to God, but if the music is demonic, then it's inspiration will be what it brings you closer to.

Please a give a thought for what i've said in the spirit it was intended.

crazycheetah
Nov 20th 2004, 06:59 AM
:hmm: I'm going to avoid commenting on some of that, because I think this sums it up: I've accepted Christ as my Lord and Saviour, and give him my life. Anyway, as for the music: It's not that I'm listening to it to get in that depressed mood, but rather that I'm already there, and listening to music that has the same bottom-line emotions helps me express those emotions to God (I really have no other reason to listen to any music other than just for enjoyment, which really still only comes to me when I'm worshipping God by listening/singing/dancing/etc. to it). Now learning more about Him and all of that is great, but christian music, in general, doesn't teach me anything more than what I've already heard, and it's all emotions that I don't really have that much (most specifically happy emotions--not to say that I don't take joy in God, because I do a lot, but instead saying that I'm just not happy much). Therefore, I get bored, and my my heart becomes no longer into worshipping God with that music. However, listening to the music that I do listen to, it's generally emotions that I have, and it doesn't bore me like that--keeping me focused on worshipping God.

Now as to why I'm depressed... I don't know, honestly. All I know is that I've asked God on multiple occasions to heal me of it, and He has continuously told me "Not yet" (though he has given me a vision to promise that it is in his plan somewhere). So, instead of moping around with it, I use it to worship God. If that's a sin, then I'm completely confused on what sin is, and so is pretty much everyone else I know (that was supposed to be nice sarcasm... didn't sound like it came out the best, to me, so I figured I'd clarify). :P

oh yeah, and I don't listen to the supposed demon inspired music much. I've only done that a few times to see what that side of the story is, and then with prayer.

Love ya!

Blue Tide
Nov 20th 2004, 08:32 AM
I noticed from your prevous posts that you are listening to this music mostly because of the lac of Christian Metal, Hard Rock. There is actually quite a large selection of Christian Metal, you should look them up sometime. :) I know, Christians don't have as much of a music selection as worldly music, but that is the sacrifice we must take for following Christ. Actually, if you ever head on over to Mardels book store, you would be amazed by the selection. I do know what you are trying to say, by hearing them say how sad they are, it makes you think about what Jesus helps you out of. But, that's not right, should I go out and smoke a few smokes, to think how Jesus is better than this. Jesus said to him, "It is written again, "You shall not tempt the LORD your God."'

God Bless

Josiah

Gods pure love
Nov 20th 2004, 10:49 PM
Theres some people that can handle a setting and or area others can't for example theres two pastors the go to p[o]rn conventions and go where the church is afarid to. How does thie protain to music? It's this; I feel that I can handle what I listen to. I dont listen to anything that degrades the trinity; nor anything exceedingly vulgar. True; theres nothing more beautiful then the love of God. People like Henry David Threou; Ralph Waldo Emerson; and other great poets; there work is so amazing. You can appreicate it for what it is and not be "astry". I love to do graphic arts; I made my av myself. It may not be directly; "christain" but it's nothing thats gunna seperate me from God.
Pro 3:5 Trust in the LORD with all thine heart; and lean not unto thine own understanding.
Pro 3:6 In all thy ways acknowledge him, and he shall direct thy paths.
Never mind how harmless you think these things are, your heart is not on the Lord, your heart is on these things.

As Christians we are to live more and more by the Lord, we are growing, reborn learning to walk, as children, growing mighty in His ways, our heart is to be filled more and more with His ways.
What's evil and not it doesn't come into it anymore, that's if you live by the law, we now live by the heart, and our heart fullfilled and being led by the love of God, His ways, no others.
I know none of us are perfect, but it's His ways we are to encourage each other in, not use the excuse well no ones perfect so it's o.k. not to be fully serving God, Yshua said be perfect even as your Father in heaven is perfect.
Now that's a lot to live up to, but truly is the way we should be walking, and we should be wanting to walk, any other way only distracts us from the true way.

crazycheetah
Nov 21st 2004, 12:02 AM
I noticed from your prevous posts that you are listening to this music mostly because of the lac of Christian Metal, Hard Rock. There is actually quite a large selection of Christian Metal, you should look them up sometime.
I do know what you are trying to say, by hearing them say how sad they are, it makes you think about what Jesus helps you out of. But, that's not right, should I go out and smoke a few smokes, to think how Jesus is better than this. Jesus said to him, "It is written again, "You shall not tempt the LORD your God."'...

First of all, I wasn't really, personally, meaning the music type. I listen to a lot of Chritian Metal/Hard Rock (12 Stones, Stavesacre, POD, Pillar, etc. are considered such). However, what I was saying is that most lyrics of christian music is... well, cheesy, too happy for me, and just plain stupid. What I do listen to the most, however, is different. Here's some Stavesacre lyrics:

Rivers Underneath by Stavesacre (from album Speakeasy)

Somehow stumbled my way home, stood inside the doorway
Staring blind through rooms I knew were missing more than the paintings on the walls
It's hard to call this home, I'm more that just alone
Have I been passed by and left behind again

I feel it pulling me
It's heavy

No desire to wonder why the answers have so long escaped me
But the arms are open wide to rivers underneath the surface
Follow with the tide ease into the cooler water
Farewell and all goodbyes to the shoreline

I'll see you when I see you

Silhouette against the storm romantic standing at the edge
a mystery, now a tragedy left to calloused mourners long grown cold
his story goes untold and no one ever knows
It just disappears beneath the fears he's carried

And I feel them pulling me
Heavy

Remember when we...?
Did you see that...?
Don't forget this moment ever
We belong
this is home
I've missed you so
For now and always
I cannot recall
My life before this

I feel it pulling me
It's heavy

No desire to wonder why the answers have so long escaped me
But the arms are open wide to rivers underneath the surface
Follow with the tide, outside ease into the cooler water
Farewell and all goodbyes to the shoreline

That's my style of lyrics. It has bottom line emotions in it that I can relate to. Which leads me into the next portion of your post. I'm not reminded of what Jesus is doing for me or whatever, directly. I simply relate to the music, and use it to help me express myself to God. The poetry I write is much like those lyrics above, but more often than not I need to know that someone somewhere is feeling the same way as me. By just hearing someone say that there is somewhere means nothing to me. I've heard that more times than I could ever count. What I need to hear is someone expressing the same feelings. And by hearing that, I praise God... sounds wierd, but even for those feelings (because he uses it to teach me).

I hope that makes sense...

Love ya!

Blue Tide
Nov 21st 2004, 02:31 AM
Yes, I do know what you mean, the majority of Christian music in my opinion, doesn't seem heart felt. However, there are some really great groups out there, from Contemporary, to Metal. I was wondering, have you ever tried Skillet? :)

In the dark with the music on,
Wishing I were somewhere else.
Taking all your anger out on me.
Somebody help.
I would rather rot alone then spend a minute with you.
I'm gone, I'm gone.

And, you can't stop me from falling apart
'Cause my self-destruction is all your fault.

Chorus:
How could you, how could you,
How could you hate me
When all I ever wanted to be was you?
How could you, how could you,
How could you love me
When all you ever gave me were open wounds?

Downstairs the enemy sleeps,
Leaving the T.V. on.
Watching all the dreams we had turn into static.
Doesn't matter what I do.
Nothing's gonna change - I'm never good enough.

And, you can't stop me from falling apart
Cause my self-destruction is all your fault.

(Chorus)

Tell me why you broke me down
And betrayed my trust in you.
I'm not giving up, giving in
When will this war end?
When will it end??

You can't stop me from falling apart
'Cause my self destruction is all your fault.

(Chorus)

xSTEADFASTx
Nov 21st 2004, 05:42 AM
Skillet is just amazing. I love hardcore; esp. Norma Jean; The Chariot;Showbread; Underoath; Saviour Machine [well thats gothic]; He Is Legend. Its great stuff.

Catullus
Nov 23rd 2004, 12:29 AM
If it's a problem to listen to music obsessed with sex & drugs, what am i to do with mozart?

memyselfandI
Dec 27th 2004, 11:27 PM
I think its fine, as long as the music isn't filled with objectionable material and lyrics. If it's got a parental sticker on the CD cover steer-clear! lol! Other than that, itís fine. :P

dherlein
Jan 2nd 2005, 08:10 PM
Personally, I stick to just about all Christian Music

Better Safe than sorry,
David

Six_Sixty
Jan 4th 2005, 02:01 AM
Now as to why I'm depressed... I don't know, honestly. All I know is that I've asked God on multiple occasions to heal me of it, and He has continuously told me "Not yet" (though he has given me a vision to promise that it is in his plan somewhere). So, instead of moping around with it, I use it to worship God. If that's a sin, then I'm completely confused on what sin is, and so is pretty much everyone else I know (that was supposed to be nice sarcasm... didn't sound like it came out the best, to me, so I figured I'd clarify).
crazycheetah I am having trouble understanding as to why God has delayed to heal you of depression.

Psalms 34:17-18
The righteous cry out, and the Lord hears them; he delivers them from all their troubles. The Lord is close to the brokenhearted and saves those who are crushed in spirit.

Psalms 147:3
He heals the brokenhearted and binds up their wounds.

I have a bit of a story to tell you. Before I came to Christ I was living heavily in the world. I was very depressed and suicidal. I didn't care about anybody or anthing. I finally came to know Jesus Christ and have a personal relationship with him. But I still was very depressed. I did not want to be, but I couldn't figure out why I was still depressed since I had been delivered of a lot of things in my life. I prayed and asked God to show me why I was depressed. I had no reason for being so. God convicted me later on about my music. I used to listen to Secular rock, heavy death and speed metal. The holy spirit flased a verse into my mind while I was listening to my music.

Matthew 12:30
"He who is not with me is against me.."

I had to take a step back and evaluate the kind of music I was listening to. Should I be filling myself up with music that stands against what Christ stands for? Can I be friends with the world and love God? I tried everything to keep the music I listened to and loved. But every excuse I came up with why I could still listen to it had no chance against what God said. I was convicted. I looked deeper at the music and asked myself. What is this music about and does it glorify God? No, it didn't. Be honest with yourself, take a look at what your filling your mind up with. If you are honestly following Christ, you must let go of the world, Pick up your cross and follow Christ. I finally got rid of all my secular cd's, I broke every single one to show God how serious I was about the commitment I made to him. After I did that I prayed and asked God to forgive me and heal me. He did. It might not be God holding off on healing your depression. It might be you holding on to it. You might say but the music I listen to is not bad... I like to listen to linkin park and when I sat back and thought about what the message of their music was, it was depression, other music promotes anger, suicide, immorality, greed, lust. The list goes on and on. I cannot find any excuse on justifying secular music if you are genuinly going to follow Christ. But that's me. Well I would love to hear your comments. God Bless.

graceful bliss
Jan 8th 2005, 09:39 PM
In the words of my friend Nathan Cochran, "So many of these guys just try to look like a worship band...but they just don't act like it behind stage. I hate it."

Music, at least the sound of it, is competely neutral. I believe bands such as Zao (pre-break up) and .hopesfall. prove that you can take a certain sound and make it a "Christian" song. What a Christian should and should not listen to all comes down to the lyrics and not the sound. Is all secular music bad? I certainly hope not because I am not apt to give up my Coldplay or U2 anytime soon. We have to keep in mind though, just because something has Christian lyrics doesn't mean that it's a Christian song or a song that we should listen to. I think something claiming ot be Christian should be held up to a much higher standard. If it is theologically off, then why are we listening to it. One worship song out there has the words, "Jesus, I will never let you go". Well, can we let Jesus go? Do we have that power? Of course not! :) So it depends on the lyrics on if a Christian should listen to it or not.

Personally, honestly, I find that I can rarely listen to lyrics that are distinctly mentioning God every time you turn around. The only time I can is at church, and then I find myself in prayer more than I find myself listening to the music. It's actually rather simple why, for me, too. My hearts not in it most of the time, and I usually can't get my heart into something that bores me, as a lot of christian music does
Well take comfort in the fact that many Hebrews prior to Christ and after Christ would not invoke the name of God too often as to not use it in vain. I do understand what you are saying where they just constantly mention God. At times it can get annoying and, in my mind, is disrespectful. So many Christian bands focus on all the positive aspects of life but fail to ignore that even Christians struggle and at times cannot worship God. You also mentioned dancing with a heart of worship but not to worship music. Do not worry, you're in good company, David did the same thing. :)

memyselfandI
Jan 8th 2005, 09:45 PM
YES! I feel it is alright to listen to different kinds of music, not all music though; especially those with crude lyrics and innuendos. Just be selective.

danmacdonald2
Aug 23rd 2005, 04:08 PM
Listen to everything. Filter out the bad and absorb the good

peptoebizmall
Aug 25th 2005, 11:05 AM
I think it's perfectly ok.

meredith338
Aug 29th 2005, 09:36 PM
there are alot of songs out there that obviously aren't wrong to listen to i mean look at the hampster dance eh? it's stupid song lol that sings of a bunch of silly nothingness lol! but i guess since most everything has been said on this thread i'll say this. i find listening to christians music and by christian music i mean "songs and their lyrics that edify me spiritually and edify my spiritual life," but like i say most times it's not going to dam you. it's a question of devotion a personal choice and it's your own walk with the lord. you choose how far you're going to let god take you. how close do you want to be to god? or do you just want get by?
*smile* god asks for all or nothing. it's not lukewarm he's after but the a fire for him. people who are willing to throw their lives at his feet and say god i know i'm unworthy and impure, but lord use me. fashion me into the person you created me to be, correct me, guide me, fellowship with me. take my hands, my eyes, my feet, take my mouth and tongue and let them speak your truth. In everything i do let it glorify you. lord take everything. be willing to accept correction from god. be willing to let god purge your life. going from not such a bad lifestyle and letting god bring you to a new phenominal level and walk with him. it takes sacrifice what will u sacrifice to be that close to goD?
gosh look at this.. even i'm starting to feel convicted.
well time to bring this to a close
god bless you all
meredith

YoungLink
Sep 13th 2005, 10:46 PM
Excuse me?

I Thessalonians 5:22
Abstain from all appearance of evil.

I don't think there is anything wrong with listening to non-Christian music, but just avoid things that you know are sending/glorifying a wrong message.

nixon4211
Sep 13th 2005, 11:16 PM
There are a lot of bands out there that have Christians that play music. It is like a Christian doctor, Christian construction worker, or whatever. I used to listen to Metallica, Korn and all that stuff and now I listen to as I lay Dying, Emery, Norma Jean. They are all Christians. I think it is just a matter of how the Holy Spirit convicts you. If He doesnt want you to listen to secular music and if you really listen to Him then He will let you know. Just ask Him.

meredith338
Sep 16th 2005, 07:12 AM
just because you claim to be christian doesn't mean you are living a chrisitian lifestyle or in this case the people who are christian in those bands. and that is what christian is all about being a light to a dying world. this doesn't mean since the person playing the music claims to be christian that they're music is ok and is sending a good and healthy message out to the world or even more importantly to the people listening to their music

Armistead14
Sep 17th 2005, 05:19 AM
I am against most rock and rap music, because it is impure. I have no problem with music, non-christian, that doesn't promote evil, such as violence, women as ho;s, ect. Why would you want to put that into your mind.

I think God likes music and can enjoy decent non-christian music. But, I see nothing pure or good in the music out there today and what it promotes.

Amadeus
Sep 20th 2005, 02:59 PM
I sort of agree with Armistead. When I was a kid, I was heavily into bands like Led Zeppelin, Beatles, Deep Purple, the Doors, Jefferson Airplane, etc. Although this type of rock music is relatively tame compared to the popular music of today, it still celebrates drug abuse and promiscuous sexual activity. I'm not actually "anti-rock n roll", but I left that stuff all behind when I found Christ.

But, as for today's popular music, I would recommend to a Christian (or anyone else for that matter) to steer far clear from it. I'd never even heard of "Insane Clown Posse" before, until finding them on this thread. I googled them, and read through some of their lyrics. Their songs make Black Sabbath and Led Zeppelin look like choirboys; I don't see why anyone who belongs to Jesus would want to listen to that stuff.

sajowers
Sep 20th 2005, 11:21 PM
http://bibleforums.org/images/smilies/kiss.gif I don't think it's generally the beat or the style of music that's wrong, it's usually the lyrics. Music is truly a gift of God. My husband is a music minister and we like most kinds of music. Any good thing can be misused. As Christians we should have discernment to recognize when something is displeasing to God.

god_guided_guy
Nov 18th 2005, 05:35 AM
you would be amazed...the lord speaks through songs. It can be a song of any nature.. For me it was a song with no words at all just humming. It's called Boadacia by enya. Very moving for me.

T-Bone
Nov 18th 2005, 04:48 PM
I personally love listening to techno and rap because I can groove to the beats etc.

Your avatar suggests that you listen to Iron Maiden

Adrian
Nov 24th 2005, 05:19 PM
In essence, there is nothing wrong with anything - including music - provided that it is not described as sin by the Holy Bible.

However it is interesting to note, that somewhere in the New Testament we are told not to involve ourselves with trivial, meaningless things in life, but rather to focus on the work of Jesus Christ.

Take a look at http://www.christianaction.org.za/articles.htm#MEDIA

There are some excellent articles on the media VS Christianty.

A
:note:

Katatonic
Nov 29th 2005, 08:56 PM
as I lay Dying

Y.E.S.

Possibly my favourite band of all time.

millerrod
Nov 30th 2005, 02:26 AM
I think Jesus would like Big and Rich they flip there guitar over at the end of there songs and it says Love Everybody

Bright One
Dec 5th 2005, 06:04 PM
I think that you can listen to music other than Christian music, I listen to a band called Simple Plan (usually when I'm down or angry, because they are very whiny and have got the whole angsty-no-one-understands-me attitude down really well :p) and I listen to some hip hop and alternative stuff. You just have to be careful with what you allow into your mind. Some things just shouldn't be allowed in, like Black-Eyed Peas, while an extremely cool-sounding band, they have some REALLY bad lyrics...I like some of the Goo Goo Dolls music,
'and I'd give up forever to touch you, cause I know that you'd feel it somehow!' It's just so sweet! I love the mushy gushy loves songs...I have no clue why.
I'd suggest looking through the lyrics before listening to something new, look it up online or if the cd has a lyrics thing, just skim through it, make sure it's nothing trashy or something that might influence you in a negative way.

xSTEADFASTx
Dec 8th 2005, 02:46 AM
I listen to alot; good bad; and in-different. It's music; and I dont allow it to control me.

StInKy_T
Dec 19th 2005, 11:48 PM
Excuse me?

Good question, personally I dislike christian music. And I can't find a verse in the Bible that says bad music is wrong. I used to listen to groups from Psychopathic Records (insane clown posse, twiztid, ect) when I was younger, and I still have like 20 CDs from them. I don't listen much anymore, but if I wanted to, I don't know what's wrong with it. I'd like some scripture that fights against bad music.[/quote]

There is only on thing i disagree about that. Some music like insane cowl posse can put you in a bad mood and make you angry. It can also give you some ideas. I'm not saying that everyone does stuff casue they listen to it but My brother si a goth and he has a alot of friends that listen to insane clown Posse and either kill someone or themselves. It just worries me sometimes and I agree with you in some ways like i dont only listen to Christian i like Eminem and stuff like that but the songs that talk about killing people i dont listen to becasue its out there and it does influence people. I think you should read this book called "I Dont Listen to the Lyrics" It's by Phill Chalmers. It has helped me alot with my choices but if you dont want to hear about that read his other book "Fifty" It has a little about that but mostly its about how God relates to our evryday lives i hope this helps you and go with God

jo_jo_aussie
Oct 12th 2006, 03:09 AM

Gwen
I don't think there is anything wrong with listening to non-Christian music, however it depends. It depends on the content of the song. Like for example 'christina aguilera's DIRTY song' for example, or 'robbie williams RUDEBOX!'. they are inappropriate cause they are about bad things, like drugs, sex, wild parties, etc etc. However, 'black eyed peas WHERE IS THE LOVE', etc, or 'delta goodrams INNOCENT EYES', are acceptable, because even though they aren't Christian songs, they aren't 'bad' as such. What we hear and see influences us, if you hear all trash your gonna think trash and act trash, but if you listen to good stuff, you will think and act good. Its simple! Jo

ariel_jesus237
May 17th 2008, 07:17 PM
You wanna hear something interesting: I don't really know what "Christian music" is! I mean, is it music made by Christians, lyrics that have Christian content, songs that sound worshipful, songs that worship God explicitly in the lyrics, songs that have "godly chords," albums released on a label that is advertised as "Christian," albums that can only be bought in a "Christian bookstore," etc., etc., etc.? To get to the point, I don't think there is any clear cut line between the secular and the sacred besides that which we put on it ourselves. Is it more godly to listen to Michael W. Smith or Radiohead? Well, to be honest, I never listen to Michael W. Smith but Radiohead is one of my favorite bands.

The important thing is mainly to be conscious of what you are listening to and the affect it has on you...in other words, being discerning. We all have different struggles and different things that cause us to stumble. Examine what those things are and figure out how your life is effected by those things. Music can be a stumbling block for some and certain types of music can be also. But, we're all different. Along with those different struggles, and personalities, God gave us all different tastes, not as a way to torture us out of not enjoying what we enjoy (by forcing us to listen to music only released by Dove Records or something like that), but by letting us enjoy this life that he has given to us. The thing we have to watch is that our focus remains too carnal, too much on the everyday and not as focused on the eternal.

Anyway, I say all that to eventually say, listen, but listen with discernment. Discernment has often become a catch-all phrase for stopping something that we do once we realize it has something wrong with it. I don't think that is a complete definition of discernment (although that aspect is very much a part of it). Many times, I think, discernment is simply being able to recognize something as a falsity and can then find the truth in the scriptures and relate the song, artist, album back to it. Sometimes we feel called or moved by the Holy Spirit to do away with certain aspects of our lifestyles and musical choices, but this doesn't look the same for everyone. Music is a very powerful medium of expression and therefore it is also an easy connection between people with similar musical interests. More than likely, God has given you specific musical tastes for a purpose. We are given freedom in Christ, but with that freedom, we have the responsibility to keep our focus and to listen to his guidance in regards to every aspect of our life.

Amen, your post really has helped me and cleared some things. I was having this talk with a fellow brother in Christ about Christian artists and we were talking about how we must ask for discernment from God and His Holy Spirit, because music can open doors to demons and we can be easily fooled by Satan into believing we are serving God and praising God. But I will ask the Lord for more discernment and thanks to Him giving me strength of spirit I have been able to get rid of all the secular music I illegally possessed before, now all that's left is instrumental Hip Hop and I am looking to get into some Christian Hip Hop that really glorifies the Lord Jesus Christ and pleases Him. Pray for me as well.

JesusMySavior
May 17th 2008, 09:34 PM
As a musician, I have a lot of secular influences. Mine are mainly in 90s music (Smashing Pumpkins being my favorite band). What I've noticed though is that even though their lyrics aren't necessarily bad and they don't cuss excessively, their attitudes about music and stage and everything being "I don't care, screw it all" etc sometimes kicking over mic stands and being obscene is really not feeding me at all.

That and the fact that I tend to fall in love with certain bands sometimes (being as how I'm a passionate music nut) and start to become a tad obsessed (watching videos on youtube a lot, reading articles, etc).

On one hand you can say, they're some pretty cool influences music-wise that I can use in my writing for our band to help others who like the same music to see it in a Christian fashion.

On the other hand it's a fine line between writing for God and writing because you want to be like the band. I struggle with that a lot as I'm kind of finding out now.

I find the best way for me to write for God and to do what I love is to take my previous influences, meld them into what I write - but listen to only praise and worship music that's about JESUS. Not about record sales or how cool we can look or how we call ourselves a Christian band but outwardly we're like the world. Worship music that glorifies GOD.

So I guess that's my .02. :blush:

JesusMySavior
May 17th 2008, 09:45 PM
There is only on thing i disagree about that. Some music like insane cowl posse can put you in a bad mood and make you angry. It can also give you some ideas. I'm not saying that everyone does stuff casue they listen to it but My brother si a goth and he has a alot of friends that listen to insane clown Posse and either kill someone or themselves. It just worries me sometimes and I agree with you in some ways like i dont only listen to Christian i like Eminem and stuff like that but the songs that talk about killing people i dont listen to becasue its out there and it does influence people. I think you should read this book called "I Dont Listen to the Lyrics" It's by Phill Chalmers. It has helped me alot with my choices but if you dont want to hear about that read his other book "Fifty" It has a little about that but mostly its about how God relates to our evryday lives i hope this helps you and go with God

If you have the time, please open your Bible and read Ephesians 4. This might shed some insight on "secular" things.

We have put off the old and put on the newness of Christ.

Ekeak
May 18th 2008, 02:50 AM
Romans, Chapter 12
002:And be not conformed to this world: but be ye transformed by the renewing of your mind, that ye may prove what is that good, and acceptable, and perfect, will of God.

Ekeak
May 18th 2008, 02:52 AM
Romans, Chapter 12

002:And be not conformed to this world: but be ye transformed by the renewing of your mind, that ye may prove what is that good, and acceptable, and perfect, will of God.

It's talking about reading the bible and praying, but Christians, can you not apply this to what you listen to as well?

VeryConfused
May 18th 2008, 02:24 PM
Let everything that has breath praise the LORD. Praise the LORD! Psalm 150:6