PDA

View Full Version : God Isn't So Immediate in Responding Anymore?

Youssarian
May 2nd 2011, 08:53 PM
Something I noticed a couple weeks ago, and it's kind of been on my mind, is how drastically differently God seems to behave in modern times compared to how he did in Biblical times. When you read the Bible, particularly the Gospel, there are all these miracles that are recorded. Of all the healings that Jesus performed, only two of them weren't immediate: I recall the ten lepers healed on their way to the priests, and another one which escapes me. Let's not forget Pentecost either - 120 people and tongues of flame leading to about 3,000 people being saved (Acts 2).

Back in the OT, God also did plenty of miraculous things. These were visible. The sun stopping at Joshua's request; another instance was where it went backwards (for Hezekiah?); God visited Solomon in a dream and overall spoke to him twice; countless instances where God directly spoke to people like David and the prophets and did all sorts of wonders.

Fast forward to today. Where has all of that gone? This doesn't challenge my faith but I do wonder, what has happened to all of these things? If people are being healed, they're keeping awfully quiet about it. Visions and prophecies seem so sparse now...

It sort of doesn't make sense, really. The OT was the time of the Law, before (according to my study Bible anyway) the Holy Spirit was freely given to people. Now, in the time after Jesus's sacrifice and when the Spirit is indeed being given to us freely and lives within us, wouldn't you think that these would remain just as present? In John 14:12 Jesus said to his disciples that they would do greater things than he did because he was going to the Father, presumably to make way for Pentecost. Was that promise intended only for the disciples, or for all of us?

I'm not a Cessationist so I do believe God is still moving in his supernatural ways - healings, speaking in tongues, prophecies, visions, etc. - but it seems that he hasn't been so direct or visible about it. Why have the rapid healings seemingly reduced... why is it that while the prophets of old could clearly tell when God was talking to them, it doesn't seem so direct, as though now instead of using words he has changed to using impressions and gut feelings which aren't as clear as what we read?

Or am I totally missing an answer that Google could give?

keck553
May 2nd 2011, 09:04 PM
Behave? LOL. God's character doesn't change. Even King David had to wait.
Also, the OT is very much corporate - about a nation God Himself brought into being, Israel, whom He called the "apple of his eye." We're not them.
Finally, God finished His work in Jesus. There is no more to be done on His part in respect to prophecy, except return at His appointed time. There is much to do on our part though - be ready.

As far as response to us as individuals, more likely, He is waiting for us.

Servant89
May 2nd 2011, 09:08 PM
Read my testimony http://bibleforums.org/showthread.php/204511-Honeymoon-prayer

and you will see he answers immeditely a lot of times.

When you pray... do you wait for an answer? ... really believing he will answer you? That might help. Also, have you read the entire Bible? Because for those not interested in finding out his REVEALED will, I would be surprised if God will share with them his hidden will.

Prov 28:9 (http://webnet77.com/cgi-bin/bible/bible.cgi?BIBLE=48&BOOK=20&CHAP=28&SEARCH=jesus king lord&Read=Read&FIRST=OK&HV=9) He that turneth away his ear from hearing the law, even his prayer shall be abomination.

Shalom

keck553
May 2nd 2011, 09:13 PM
Read my testimony http://bibleforums.org/showthread.php/204511-Honeymoon-prayer

and you will see he answers immeditely a lot of times.

When you pray... do you wait for an answer? ... really believing he will answer you? That might help. Also, have you read the entire Bible? Because for those not interested in finding out his REVEALED will, I would be surprised if God will share with them his hidden will.

Prov 28:9 (http://webnet77.com/cgi-bin/bible/bible.cgi?BIBLE=48&BOOK=20&CHAP=28&SEARCH=jesus king lord&Read=Read&FIRST=OK&HV=9) He that turneth away his ear from hearing the law, even his prayer shall be abomination.

Shalom

wow, we agree.

smen

LookingUp
May 3rd 2011, 12:08 AM
Behave? LOL. God's character doesn't change. Even King David had to wait.
Also, the OT is very much corporate - about a nation God Himself brought into being, Israel, whom He called the "apple of his eye." We're not them.
Finally, God finished His work in Jesus. There is no more to be done on His part in respect to prophecy, except return at His appointed time. There is much to do on our part though - be ready.

As far as response to us as individuals, more likely, He is waiting for us.I agree with keck here. :-)

Servant89
May 3rd 2011, 10:27 PM
I agree with keck here. :-)

Amen

Jas 4:8 Draw nigh to God, and he will Draw nigh to you.
Mt 13:58 And he did not many mighty works there because of their unbelief.

We limit God with our unbelief, and yet, some seem to blame God for it...

Shalom

LookingUp
May 4th 2011, 12:30 AM
Amen

Jas 4:8 Draw nigh to God, and he will Draw nigh to you.
Mt 13:58 And he did not many mighty works there because of their unbelief.

We limit God with our unbelief, and yet, some seem to blame God for it...

ShalomIs that what keck meant? I must have misunderstood. There are many with faith as big as an ocean and certain prayers are not answered as they would have liked. It doesn't mean their faith is lacking and it certainly doesn't mean God is lacking.

Slug1
May 4th 2011, 12:31 AM
I'm not a Cessationist so I do believe God is still moving in his supernatural ways - healings, speaking in tongues, prophecies, visions, etc. - but it seems that he hasn't been so direct or visible about it. Why have the rapid healings seemingly reduced... why is it that while the prophets of old could clearly tell when God was talking to them, it doesn't seem so direct, as though now instead of using words he has changed to using impressions and gut feelings which aren't as clear as what we read?

I feel ya answered it right here in a way. God has been replaced by a Body of Christ who doesn't believe and this lack of belief is due to the very cessationist doctrine you mentioned. Compounding doctrine, He's replaced by traditions, rituals, that man has designed and compiled into what we call religion and the equation today is a relationship with God is actually... God, through religion, as led by doctrine/tradition/rituals.

When people get back to a relationship with God, through Jesus as led by the Holy Spirit... then what you feel is missing from the Body of Christ, won't be missing anymore.

Christ is missing and God's Spirit is missing because more choose doctrine/tradition/rituals so THUS... no power in most of the Body of Christ today.

Fast forward to today. Where has all of that gone? This doesn't challenge my faith but I do wonder, what has happened to all of these things? If people are being healed, they're keeping awfully quiet about it. Really... you have not been reading many of my posts :lol:

Visions and prophecies seem so sparse now...This may be of interest to you then: http://bibleforums.org/showthread.php/145713-For-the-churches

Slug1
May 4th 2011, 12:47 PM
God is Good!

I received this devo in my email this morning. I guess if it's to be discussed it has to be in here though. Once I read it this morning, it is just more confirmation about what I just posted in this thread to help you understand.

Click >> TGIF - Stop Living By Christian Principles (http://bibleforums.org/showthread.php/225530-TGIF-Stop-Living-By-Christian-Principles?p=2672360#post2672360)