PDA

View Full Version : My Daily Bible Study - Timothy and Titus (2)

Frances
May 9th 2011, 03:59 PM
Timothy was probably written between 64 and 67AD. He and Luke were Paulís two most constant companions.

1 Timothy 1

What does the text say? Ė Timothy had been left in Ephesus to ensure the church leaders only taught the true doctrine that Paul had taught them, and not let them waste time in endless discussions of meaningless speculations. Paulís desire is that all believers would demonstrate love from a pure heart, and genuine faith, but some people just spent their time in meaningless discussions, wanting to be teachers and didnít know what they were talking about. Paul said the Law is good when used correctly for those who are lawless and rebellious, who are ungodly and sinful. Paul thanks God for putting him into the ministry after forgiving his former insolence and blaspheme, because he did it in ignorance and unbelief. Jesus Christ came into the world to Save sinners and used Paul as an example of His great patience with the worst of sinners so others can receive everlasting Life too. Paul instructed Timothy to cling to his faith in Christ and keep his conscience clear. Some have rejected their conscience and their faith has been shipwrecked; Paul named two who he had removed from the fellowship because they blasphemed God.

Application? Ė do I ensure I believe scriptural truth and not fables? Is my faith in Jesus Christ sincere? Do I really understand the difference between Moses Law and Christís principles, that the righteousness of God is through faith in Jesus Christ, not contrary to sound doctrine. Does the Lord consider me faithful? I am a sinner but Jesus Christ is willing to forgive me. Do I wage war with Christ?

Frances
May 10th 2011, 04:42 PM
1 Timothy 2

What does the text say? – Paul encourages his readers to pray for all people, asking God to help them, praying especially for those in authority, interceding on their behalf so that we may all lead quiet and peaceful lives of Godliness and dignity; for Jesus Christ, who gave His life for everyone, is the only Mediator between God and man. Paul wants men in each fellowship to be free from all anger and controversy; and he wants women to wear decent clothing that does not draw attention to themselves, their attraction being in the good things they do. Paul does not let women have authority over men, because ‘God made Adam first and then Eve, and it was not Adam who was deceived by Satan but Eve – but women will be saved through child-bearing, assuming they live in faith and love, silence and modesty’.

Application? – Do I pray for those in authority? Do I pray for people to be Saved? Do I dress appropriately? Eve was deceived but Adam was disobedient, surely the greater Sin? (Gen.2:16-17). As boys were regarded as men at 13years in Paul’s day, should a woman really have no authority over a 13year old boy?

Quote:-(Henry H. Halley) – “Saved through childbearing’ probably refers to the birth of Jesus, who was born of a woman, without the agency of man. Even if Sin did come into the world through woman so did the Saviour.”

Frances
May 11th 2011, 05:04 PM
1 Timothy 3

What does the text say? – To be an Elder is a position of honour so they must be above reproach in every way, as must their families. Elders must not be new believers or the devil may cause them to become proud. In the same way deacons must be well respected and known for their integrity, not heavy drinkers or dishonest, committed to the mystery of faith now revealed, and they must have a pure conscience. Before their appointment they must be closely examined to ensure they are blameless in every way, including having blameless wives who exercise self-control and faithfulness. Those who do well as deacons will be rewarded with respect from others and have increased confidence in Christ Jesus. Paul hoped to be with Timothy shortly but had written in case he was delayed so Timothy would know how leaders should conduct themselves.

Application? – Have I always been blameless in every way? Do I do what I can to ensure only those totally blameless become church leaders, or is their popularity taken into account?

Quote:- (Henry H. Halley)“Verse 16 is thought to have been a fragment of a Christian hymn.”

Frances
May 12th 2011, 05:05 PM
1 Timothy 4

What does the text say? – The Holy Spirit says that in the last times some Christians will turn away from the true faith to follow deceiving spirits and the teaching that comes from demons. They will say it is wrong to do things God created that are for our good; and no food is to be refused if it is received with prayer. If you instruct Christians in this, and reject old wives tales and Godless ideas, you will be a good servant of Jesus Christ. Godliness is profitable for all things as it promises Life now and to come. Because of this Paul works and suffers reproach as he trusts in the Living God who is the Saviour of those who believe. Let no one despise your youth but be an example in word, deed, conduct in life, in spirit, in faith, and in purity; give attention to teaching, to exhortation and to doctrine. Do not neglect the Gifts of the Holy Spirit. Meditate on these things that your progress may be evident to everyone. Keep a close watch on how you live and what you teach. Stay true to what is right for your own Salvation and the Salvation of those who hear what you say.

Application? – Do I believe the Word of God or do I choose to believe something slightly different, and so have turned away from the Lord? Do I ensure what I believe is what is written in God’s Word? Am I willing to be mocked because I believe what is written in God’s Word? Do I look down on youngsters who know the Lord, or realise they may be able to teach me something worthwhile?

Quote:- (Henry H. Halley) – “If ministers today would only give heed to Paul’s advise, the Church would take on new life, and grow by leaps and bounds. Why, O why cannot ministers understand the simple exposition of God’s Word is more desired . . . and more powerful by far, than their finely worked out sermonic platitudes.”

Frances
May 13th 2011, 05:42 PM
1 Timothy 5

What does the text say? –Other believers must be treated with respect as if they were close family members. Honour widows who have no one to support them but those who have children or grandchildren should be supported by them. Paul expects widows to spend all day in prayer, not enjoying themselves. All men must provide for their own families. Only widows over 60who who have only had one husband, have a reputation for good works, have brought up children, taken in strangers, humbly served other believers, helped those in trouble and always been willing to do good, should be supported by the church. Younger widows should not be on the list as their physical desires will overpower their devotion to the church, and they will want to remarry, also they will learn to be lazy and to gossip. Such widows must be the responsibility of relations. Elders who rule well should be respected and paid well. Do not listen to accusations against elders that are not supported by 2 or 3 other witnesses – those who sin should be reprimanded in front of the whole church. Don’t show favouritism to anyone. Never be in a hurry to appoint a church leader, or lay hands on anyone. Keep yourself pure. Drink a little wine to help your digestion.

Application? – Do I treat everyone with respect? Do I spend all my time in prayer? Do I ensure all my relatives, who are widows, are provided for? Do I honour the church leaders and give towards their living expenses? Do I keep myself pure? Do I show favouritism to anyone or treat all believers the same? My stomach objects more to wine than water! Am I known for good or bad things?

Quote:- (Henry H. Halley)”The church had to be extremely careful with it’s women servants, for the women servants of the temple of Diana were prostitutes. . . . Wine was ‘little’ and for medicinal purposes”.

Frances
May 14th 2011, 07:25 PM
1 Timothy 6

What does the text say? – all slaves should show respect for their masters so they will not bring shame on the Name of the Lord and His teaching; if their masters are believers they should work even more willingly. This teaching of Jesus Christ promises a Godly life, and any other teaching comes from arrogance and lacks understanding, having an unhealthy desire to quibble over the meaning of words. This can result in jealousy, slander, division, and evil suspicions – such people are trouble-makers having turned away from the truth. True Godliness with contentment is worth a lot. If we have enough food and clothing we should be content. Those who desire to be rich fall into temptation and many foolish lusts, destitution and perdition, for the love of money is the root of all evil and can cause folk to stray from the true faith in their greediness. This can cause much distress, so you must pursue righteousness, Godliness, faith, love, patience, and gentleness. Fight the good fight of faith and hold tight to Eternal Life. If you do these commands no one will be able to find fault with you. Command those who are rich in this world’s goods not to trust in their wealth that is so unreliable but in the Living God; encourage them to be rich in good deeds, ready to give and willing to share. Avoid discussions with those who have so-called knowledge.

Application? – Do I cause strife by arguing? Am I content with what I have? Do I desire to be rich and so do shameful things that will be my downfall? Do I pursue righteousness, godliness, faith, love, patience and gentleness? Do I fight the good fight of faith in Christ? Do I trust in earthly riches or in the Living God? Do I engage in intellectual ‘scholarship’ about God’s word or accept what it says as truth?

Frances
May 20th 2011, 05:43 PM
2 Timothy 1

What does the text say? – Paul thanks God that his conscience is clear. He remembers Timothy daily in prayer and longs to see him, remembering his genuine faith and that of his grandmother and mother. Paul urges Timothy to store up the Gift of the Holy Spirit that is in him, for God has not given us a spirit of fear but of power and love and a sound mind – so Timothy must not be ashamed to be a Christian but be willing to suffer for Christ’s sake. He reminds Timothy that Christ Saved them, and Called them – not because of what they had done but because of His Grace given before time began and revealed when Jesus Christ, who broke the power of Death, appeared and illuminated the Way to Life and immortality. Paul said God chose Him to be an apostle, teacher and preacher of the Good News, which is why he was in prison. He was not ashamed of being there because he knew Christ and trusted Him to fulfil all His Promises. Paul urged Timothy to keep faithful to Christ; he said everyone in Asia had turned away from him. Paul asked the Lord to be merciful to the household of Onesiporus, who had searched for Paul and was not ashamed to visit him in prison and had also ministered to him in Ephesus.

Application? – Do I serve God with a pure conscience? Do I pray for fellow Christians daily? Do I write to encourage them to keep faithful to the Lord? Am I ever ashamed of God or His Word? Do I go out of my way to visit, and fulfil the needs of those in prisons of body and mind or state?

Frances
May 21st 2011, 05:17 PM
2 Timothy 2

What does the text say? – Paul said be strong in the Grace of Christ Jesus, also in the things heard from him and many witnesses. These things must be taught to faithful people who will teach others as well. You must endure hardship in Jesus Christ’s army – in all armies winning the battle must be put before other concerns. Athletes must keep the rules. Remember that God has Power to raise from the dead. Endure hardship for the Gospel so the chosen ones may obtain Salvation available through Christ Jesus – if we died with Him we shall also Live with Him, if we endure we shall reign with him, if we deny Him He will deny us, if we are faithless He will remain faithful for He cannot deny Himself. Be a good worker who does not need to be ashamed and explains the truth correctly. Avoid worthless talk that only leads to godless behaviour causing folk to leave the path of truth and turn others away too. The Lord knows who are His, and all who belong to Him must turn away from evil. Turn away from anything that stimulates youthful lusts; instead pursue righteous living, love a peace. Enjoy the companionship of those who call on the Lord with a pure heart. Don’t get involved in ignorant arguments. Do not quarrel but be kind to everyone, be able to teach and be patient with difficult people. Gently correct those who oppose the truth then they may repent.

Application? – Do I ensure that what I teach others is true to the Word of God? Am I prepared to be maligned because I tell others the truth of God’s Word? Have I died with Christ, or do my desires or fears take precedence? Am I surprised if I have to endure hardship because I am a Christian? Am I faithless and deny Christ is my Lord? Do I argue unnecessarily? Am I gentle, patient and humble?

Frances
May 22nd 2011, 05:09 PM
2 Timothy 3

What does the text say? – The last days will be stressful because people will love money, boast, blaspheme, despise good, and be proud, disobedient, unthankful, unholy, unforgiving, slanderers, brutal, without self-control, traitors, headstrong, haughty, they will love pleasure instead of God, act in religious ways but deny the Power that could make them Godly; they are always learning but never able to know the truth because they resist it. Timothy had always been careful to follow Paul’s doctrine, way of life, purpose, faith, long-suffering, love, perseverance, and he knew of the persecutions and afflictions that the Lord had delivered him from. All who desire to live a Godly life in Christ will be persecuted. Evil people and impostors will flourish, being deceived and deceiving others, but Timothy must remain faithful to those things he had been taught and know from experience are true. The Holy Scriptures have given the wisdom to receive Salvation through faith in Christ Jesus. All Scripture is inspired by God and can teach us what is true and make us realise what is wrong in our lives, and instruct us in righteousness, being used by God to equip His people to do every good work.

Application? – Do I love myself too much? Do I love money? Do I boast? Am I proud? Do I blaspheme? Am I disobedient? Do I take Blessings for granted? Do I try to please God in all I do and say? Could I be unforgiving? Do I slander others? Am I ever brutal? Do I have sufficient self-control? Do I despise what is good? Am I a traitor to the Lord? Am I headstrong or haughty? Do I love pleasure more than I love God? Do I go to church but not welcome the Power of the Holy Spirit in my life? Do I resist the truth? Do I realise that, as a follower of Jesus Christ, I must expect to be persecuted? Am I ever deceived? Do I deceive others? Do I ensure that all I believe is true to God’s Word? Do I continue to learn more of myself and God by studying His Word?

Frances
May 23rd 2011, 05:56 PM
2 Timothy 4

What does the text say? – Paul solemnly urged Timothy to remember that Jesus Christ will Judge the living and the dead, and so to preach, always be ready to proclaim God’s Word, to patiently correct, rebuke and encourage the people with good teaching. A time will come when people will no longer listen to sound and wholesome teaching but will only listen to those who say what they want to hear, rejecting truth and believing fables. Endure your work of an evangelist and be ready to endure affliction. Paul knew he would soon be killed and knew he had done what he was Called to do, he had kept the faith and knew he would receive the crown of righteousness from the Lord, as would everyone who eagerly looks forward to His coming again. Paul asked Timothy to go to him quickly for only Luke has remained with him and asked that Timothy take his cloak and books, and he wanted Mark to go too. Paul says the Lord is with him, and strengthens him, ensuring the Word is preached, and he knows the Lord will keep him safe for His Heavenly Kingdom.

Application? – Do I share God’s Word with others? Am I always ready to stand up for the Truth? Do I get fed up with those who take no notice when I tell them of Jesus Christ? Do I disregard them or continue to teach of Him? Do I ensure I fulfil the Great Commission? Am I always doing the Work of an evangelist? Do I know the Lord will welcome me into His heavenly Home? Do I long for the Lord to return to earth. Am I surprised when Christians desert me in my time of need? Do I tell others of Jesus at every opportunity? The Lord will give me the strength I need to fulfil His Purposes and keep me safe for His Kingdom.

Frances
May 30th 2011, 05:03 PM
Titus 1

What does the text say? – Paul says he left Titus in Crete to complete the Work and appoint Elders in every city who lead blameless lives. They must only have one wife and be faithful to her, his children must not have a reputation for being wild and rebellious. An Elder must live a blameless life; he must not be self-willed nor quick-tempered, nor drink too much wine, nor be violent, nor dishonest with money, but he must be hospitable, love what is good, live wisely and be just, live a devout and disciplined life, he must have a strong belief in the trustworthy message he was taught, then he will be able to encourage others with wholesome teaching, and convict those who contradict. There are many who insist on circumcision for Salvation; they must be silenced because they are turning whole families away from the truth – for dishonest gain. The Cretans have been called ‘liars, evil beasts, and lazy gluttons’ by one of their own countrymen, therefore rebuke them sharply that they may be strong in faith and stop listening to myths and the commandments of those who have turned away from the truth, denying God by the way they live.

Application? – Have I always been faithful to my spouse? Am I self-willed? Am I quick-tempered? Do I drink too much alcohol? Am I violent in word or deed? Am I greedy for money? Am I hospitable? Do I love only what is good? Do I live wisely? Am I just? Do I live a devout and disciplined life? Am I convinced that the Good News of Jesus Christ is true? Am I able to encourage others with the true Gospel and show those who oppose it where they are wrong? Do I insist on faith in Jesus Christ plus something else (eg. a ceremony or membership of a specific group) for Salvation? Could I be denying Jesus Christ by the way I live?

Frances
May 31st 2011, 05:41 PM
Titus 2

What does the text say? Ė Promote the kind of living that reflects wholesome teaching Ė self-control, God honouring faith, love, wisdom, purity and patience. Always teach the truth so you cannot be condemned. Live in such a way as to make the teaching of God our Saviour attractive in every way. We must live in this evil world with wisdom, righteousness and devotion to God, looking forward to the day when the Glory of Jesus Christ will be revealed. We must be totally committed to doing good deeds.

Application? Ė Does the way I live encourage others to learn more about Jesus Christ and the Salvation He offers? Am I faithful, loving and patient? Do I demonstrate integrity, reverence and incorruptibility?

Frances
Jun 1st 2011, 04:25 PM
Titus 3

What does the text say?- Remind believers to obey the government and it’s officers, and always be ready to do what is good, to speak evil of no one, and avoid quarrelling, to be gentle and be humble – remembering we were once foolish, disobedient, deceived, slaves to lusts and pleasure, and we were malicious and envious. But when the Kindness and Love of God our Saviour towards mankind was revealed He didn’t Save us because of our righteousness but according to His Mercy. He washed away our Sins and gave us New Life through the Holy Spirit, whom He gave us abundantly through Christ our Saviour. Those who have believed in God should devote themselves to doing good and avoid foolish quarrels about aspects of the Law or genealogies. Reject a divisive person after the 2nd warning. When Artimas and Tychicus arrive, come to me at Nicopolis where I will spend the winter. Send Zenas and Apollos on their journey. Encourage the people to continue doing good and to meet urgent needs. Grace be with you all.

Application? – do I keep the law in every way? Do I ever speak evil of anyone? Am I always peaceable, gentle and humble? The Lord has not Saved me because of anything good I’ve done, but because of His Mercy and by the Power of the Holy Spirit. I have been justified by His Grace. God’s Riches At Christ’s Expense will be mine for Eternity (unless I am determined to disregard Him)!! am I always careful to do only good? Do I avoid foolish arguments? Am I ever divisive? Do I meet urgent needs of others?

Frances
Jun 2nd 2011, 04:42 PM
Philemon

What does the text say? – Paul thanks God for Philemon’s love and faith in Jesus Christ, and that his faith will be effectively shared with others. Paul says he’s old and a prisoner, and that Onesimus, Philemon’s runaway slave has become a Christian, so Paul is sending him back to his master (runaway slaves in the roman Empire were crucified) even though he wanted to keep Onesimus with him to minister to him, but not without Philemon’s consent. Paul seems to suggest that Philemon sets Onesimus, his brother in Christ, free. Paul asks that Onesimus gets the same treatment from Philemon that would be given to Paul himself. If there is a debt Paul promises to pay it, and asked that a guest room be prepared for him, and asks for prayer to be released.

Application? - Have I corrected, as far as I am able, anything I did wrong before I became a Christian – however difficult that may be? Have I forgiven everyone who has hurt me? Do I use ‘chains’ of ill health or lack of time as excuses for not sharing the love of Jesus Christ with others?

Quote:- (David Pawson) –“ Paul was simply doing for the slave Onesimus what Jesus had done for him. He was saying to Philemon ‘Jesus paid for you and rescued you and recycled you and sent you back to serve the Father. Now you go and do that to others’. In other words our relationships to others are conditioned by what Christ has done for us. We must recycle people and send them back to the Father. We must be willing to pay the price for them, as Christ paid the price for us.”