PDA

View Full Version : Really? No parking on the grass!

Amos_with_goats
May 13th 2011, 10:27 PM
A woman in Iowa just got an $835 dollar parking ticket.

I listened to the video where they interviewed the official
who talked of her offense... it seems to me that this is
an over-reach.

Was the government right in this fine?

Was this an example of abuse of power?

Story here; (http://www.wdam.com/story/14639208/woman-gets-835-parking-ticket)

COUNCIL BLUFFS, IA (KETV/CNN) A woman received an $835 parking ticket while attending her son's all-day baseball tournament.
"My ticket is for $750, plus an $85 court fee, which makes it $825," said Laura Sherman....

...Council Bluffs Assistant Attorney Don Bauermeister says that's the problem, and the $15 tickets just did not solve it.

...."We've got signs," Bauermeister said. "Respect the signs, right?"

moonglow
May 14th 2011, 03:04 AM
Oh...I bet I know what was going on. ALOT of parents were parking on the grass so they didn't have to walk as far to watch their kids play in these sports games. (they do it here too). The problem is eventually it kills the grass and then you have a big muddy mess and then it washes away soil..it erodes and it would cost the city alot to fill it in and try to maintain it. Apparently they had signs and this has been an ongoing problem for a long time. I think jumping from a 15$ fine to a $750 is outrageous though. I would have gone from 15$ fines to 30..if that didn't work then up to 50...just raise it a little over time until people quit parking on that grass. They went way, way overboard I would say!

teddyv
May 14th 2011, 03:19 AM
Maybe it was, you know, "grass".

TomH
May 14th 2011, 03:24 AM
Around here, especially during OSU football games,parking on campus without a permit is a no- no.

Solve the problem? Allow all the towing companies to have free reign. Don't have to call it in, just take it to the impound. You get your towing fee out of the fine.

If you don't mind paying about $200.00 and getting a ride to impound, you can park anywhere you want.

(about $15.00 will get you into remote parking AND a ride to and from the stadium.)

Vhayes
May 14th 2011, 03:32 AM
I would be interested to know if the city had announced an increase in the fines. Also if the "no parking" signs had a dollar figure on them.

But hey, if the woman thinks she THAT important - that she can park in an area designated No Parking - then I have no problem at all with the fine.

Amos_with_goats
May 14th 2011, 03:35 AM
.... I think jumping from a 15$ fine to a $750 is outrageous though. I would have gone from 15$ fines to 30..if that didn't work then up to 50...just raise it a little over time until people quit parking on that grass. They went way, way overboard I would say!

I agree.

When I listened to the video, the Assistant Attorney used came off as an arrogant dictator to me, and the fine seems like the action of one.

Hunter121
May 14th 2011, 04:21 AM
Must be premium grass :)

TomH
May 14th 2011, 04:30 AM
Must be premium grass :)

Nah, jst sophisticated turf wars.

Amos_with_goats
May 14th 2011, 04:31 AM
I would be interested to know if the city had announced an increase in the fines. Also if the "no parking" signs had a dollar figure on them.

But hey, if the woman thinks she THAT important - that she can park in an area designated No Parking - then I have no problem at all with the fine.

I agree that folks have a way of believing the rules apply to everyone else... and if it were the second offense that was silly high I could go along with it...

... seems over the top to me.

Vhayes
May 14th 2011, 04:33 AM
It made the news Now everyone knows just what it will cost them.

preachinjail
May 16th 2011, 03:12 AM
I say BRAVO!!!

I get so sick of arrogant people who seem to think it is ok to fudge on the "little" rules.

BRAVO to this city!!!

Bravo!!!

Now maybe the nag will think twice about "little" rules.

JMO

BrianW
May 16th 2011, 12:42 PM
From the story:

There are about a dozen "No parking on the grass" signs located on 34th Avenue, the main road leading into the complex. There's another "No parking on the grass" sign in the parking lot where Sherman parked.

The lady's side of it?:

"My ticket is for $750, plus an $85 court fee, which makes it $825," said Laura Sherman.

Sherman admitted passing over open spaces, driving over the curb, and parking on the grass Sunday at the Council Bluffs Recreation Complex.

"I looked, I didn't see any signs that said, ‘No parking on the grass,'" Sherman said. "It's, you know, disappointing."

I agree with preachinjail. Bravo to the city. Sometimes examples must be made and they had the gut's to do it.

"We've got signs," Bauermeister said. "Respect the signs, right?"

Right.

RabbiKnife
May 16th 2011, 12:46 PM
Math is apparently as difficult as sign reading.

episkopos
May 16th 2011, 12:49 PM
Math is apparently as difficult as sign reading.

There are 3 kinds of people in the world. Those who can do the math and those who can't!