PDA

View Full Version : SOMALIA

awestruckchild
May 21st 2011, 02:59 PM
Man, I wish I knew how to transfer a story to here but I'm computer illiterate.
Yesterday on Yahoo there was a story : Kept in Chains: Mental Illness Rampant in Somalia.

The story opens telling about a man who is chained to a wall in a hallway with 25 others at a clinic for the mentally ill. He mutters under his breath and spits at everyone. His clothes are torn up and hanging off him. His brother and sister were killed right in frontt of his eyes and then he was tortured. Then he roamed the streets naked, lashing out at anyone who came close.

Some of these people have been kept chained up for more than eight years. At one of the facilities, over 50% of the patients were chained. The doctors recite the Quran to patients hoping it will improve their condition.

They say every time another mortar or gunfire is heard, more people snap. They've had to watch public stonings and hands and feet cut off their family, freinds, neighbors.

One man snapped and his family had to keep him tied to a tree.

This is the Gadarenes. It is absolutely chilling.

quiet dove
May 21st 2011, 03:09 PM
Yesterday on Yahoo there was a story : Kept in Chains: Mental Illness Rampant in Somalia.

The story opens telling about a man who is chained to a wall in a hallway with 25 others at a clinic for the mentally ill. He mutters under his breath and spits at everyone. His clothes are torn up and hanging off him. His brother and sister were killed right in frontt of his eyes and then he was tortured. Then he roamed the streets naked, lashing out at anyone who came close.

Some of these people have been kept chained up for more than eight years. At one of the facilities, over 50% of the patients were chained. The doctors recite the Quran to patients hoping it will improve their condition.

They say every time another mortar or gunfire is heard, more people snap. They've had to watch public stonings and hands and feet cut off their family, freinds, neighbors.

All you have to do is go to that page, click in the address bar which should highlight it, right click while it is highlighted and then in the drop down menu click copy. The copies the URL from the address bar.

Then come here and in your post, click the little world icon with the paper clip, and a box will come up, click in that box and then press ctrl+v and it will paste the URL address in the box, then click ok and walla, article linked

Or you can just copy and past the URL and others can then reverse that copying it in their address bar, you don't have to make it a link

awestruckchild
May 21st 2011, 03:12 PM
Oh dear....
That sounds unattainable for me.

quiet dove
May 21st 2011, 03:30 PM
Oh dear....
That sounds unattainable for me.

Just click once in your address bar, where the URS is the http/:www.. (http://www..)....... , the address will be highlighted then right click and a menu will be there, click on copy. Then come back over here and click in a post and you can right click and get your menu pop out and then click paste, should copy the address in the post, won't be a link but thats ok, I will make a link for you if you want.

Give it a try, the worst that can happen is it wont copy and paste, but no major damage or anything

awestruckchild
May 21st 2011, 03:57 PM
I couldn't find the story again but I tried what you said with a different story in test post section and it worked!
You must be one of those younger people who are born knowing how to make a computer giddy-up!
I can't believe I know how to DO that now!
Thanks!

quiet dove
May 21st 2011, 05:15 PM
I couldn't find the story again but I tried what you said with a different story in test post section and it worked!
You must be one of those younger people who are born knowing how to make a computer giddy-up!
I can't believe I know how to DO that now!
Thanks!

No, young has passed me by at this point.. :cry:

Actually I am very much computer illiterate, I just happen to know how to do the link thing...most of the time... :lol:

Keep trying though and you will learn how to do stuff, there is a forum section for questions at the bottom of the main page, a lot of people here are very good at computer "stuff".

awestruckchild
May 21st 2011, 05:26 PM
You aren't YOUNG????!
But how then did you come by this knowledge that is forbidden to us old people???

quiet dove
May 21st 2011, 05:40 PM
You aren't YOUNG????!
But how then did you come by this knowledge that is forbidden to us old people???

I dunno know, just messing around I guess. Trial and error, and mostly asking folks, they are usually willing to help, sometimes, well often times, the help is over my head, especially when it get to the technical stuff.

I still have no idea about a lot of the new stuff, like what an ipod even is, much less no how to turn it on and make it go....lol. Or whatever plays mp3 stuff, no idea.

awestruckchild
May 21st 2011, 05:48 PM
Well, I think that's just shameful, you runnin' around like a young kid, postin' URL's and what not! And as if that's not bad enough, teaching OTHERS to do it!
Don't even get me started on them ipods. Shameful is what it is!:D

RevLogos
May 21st 2011, 07:29 PM

Every now and then I'll get on Google Earth and look over some city. A while ago I browsed Mogadishu, the main city in Somalia. What a sad sight. It looks like at one time it was a vibrant modern city. But today it appears almost deserted. Few cars, streets dusty, unmaintained, roofs caving in on many buildings and houses. Found a large cathedral there, now just a shell.

Sad to see what years of internal strife and war will do.

bob
May 21st 2011, 09:59 PM
Let me see if I can figure this out...
Kept In Chains (http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20110520/ap_on_re_af/af_somalia_mental_illness)
I think if you quote me it will show the BB code so you can see for yourself, assuming I have any clue what I am doing...

moonglow
May 22nd 2011, 10:28 PM
Let me see if I can figure this out...
Kept In Chains (http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20110520/ap_on_re_af/af_somalia_mental_illness)
I think if you quote me it will show the BB code so you can see for yourself, assuming I have any clue what I am doing...

Thanks!

This is a heartbreaking story for sure...:(

Equipped_4_Love
May 25th 2011, 05:32 AM
Wow, did THIS thread veer off-topic quick.

I would love to hear more discussion about this tragic story!!!

BibleGirl02
May 25th 2011, 08:09 PM
I really feel sorry for Somalia. They are one of the more poor countries in Africa, right? Isn't Somalia the location of one of those horrible famines that occurred in the 1980s?