PDA

View Full Version : Germany: 365 more sickened in bacterial outbreak

moonglow
Jun 1st 2011, 05:18 PM
http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/eu_contaminated_vegetables_europe

BERLIN The number of people reported sick in Germany from a foodborne bacterial outbreak that has already killed 16 spiked over the last 24 hours, with nearly 100 more people suffering from severe and potentially fatal symptoms, the national disease control center said Wednesday.

Agriculture Minister Ilse Aigner said scientists were working nonstop to find the source of the unusual strain of the E. coli bacteria that is believed to have been spread in Europe on tainted vegetables and where in the long journey from farm to grocery store the contamination occurred.

"Hundreds of tests have been done and the responsible agencies ... have determined that most of the patients who have been sickened ate cucumbers, tomatoes and leaf lettuce and primarily in northern Germany," Aigner said on ARD television. "The states that have conducted the tests must now follow back the delivery path to see how the cucumbers, or tomatoes or lettuce got here."rest at the link

I know we have some people living over seas in these areas...please be careful!

God bless

ProjectPeter
Jun 2nd 2011, 02:21 PM
Here is the statement that is what is going to cost folks dearly and to tie this into something biblical... this is where man has gone now.

In the end this bacteria will likely die out, be replaced by another one, or take its place among the various pathogens that concern us. It may survive, but the fear will fade, the hysteria will lessen, and ultimately it will be science and epidemiology which will predict this bug’s future.

Marc Siegel, M.D. is a professor of medicine and medical director of Doctor Radio at NYU Langone Medical Center. He is a Fox News Medical contributor and author. His latest book is "The Inner Pulse: Unlocking the Secret Code of Sickness and Health."

Read more: http://www.foxnews.com/opinion/2011/06/02/e-coli-outbreak-in-europe-why-now/#ixzz1O80xBWs2

This is where our trust lies any more. And ultimately science and medicine will fail us because without God... no invention of man will help us . The fear will not lessen but only increase... rest assured. Maybe not on this particular issue but perhaps the next (there will be a next) and if not the next... the next after that. But again... chickens are coming home to roost. Our trust is in the wrong place.

moonglow
Jun 2nd 2011, 04:07 PM
By feeding cows grain instead of the grass they are intended to eat, we make their guts more acidic, making it easier for this type of bacteria to thrive. From cow intestines, the bacteria makes its way into manure and on out into our crops and our ground water, where it spreads easily to humans.

This is how I think mad cow disease got started too...they didn't just feed the cows just grain but the ground up remains of other cows that weren't fit for human consumption. That is not natural or normal for a cow to eat either! Maybe one of these days people will learn. Sometimes I wonder why we are so daft...I mean really alot of this stuff is just common sense. But I think it all comes down to money actually...:( But it always costs us more in the long run...case in point..having to treat all these sick people. (not too mention all the lost time at work..the pain and suffering...death) :cry:

God bless

moonglow
Jun 3rd 2011, 02:24 AM
Cases of E. coli from Europe now in US (http://thechart.blogs.cnn.com/2011/06/02/cases-of-e-coli-from-europe-now-in-u-s/?hpt=hp_t2)

Three people in the United States likely have been stricken by the same strain of E. coli that’s killed 16 people in Europe, according to an official with the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention.

Samples from the patients are on their way to a CDC lab in Atlanta, Georgia, for testing, Dr. Robert Tauxe, deputy director of the CDC’s Division of Foodborne, Bacterial and Mycotic Diseases, told CNN. The patients have traveled recently to Germany, and all three have developed hemolytic uremic syndrome, a potentially deadly kidney disease and a complication of E. coli infection.

“We consider them to likely be part of the European outbreak,” Tauxe said. “We’re expecting the strains to arrive here any time now.”

This last part in the article is really unnerving:

Doctors in Europe and the United States do not give antibiotics to patients with E. coli infections, since studies have shown it can actually make the disease worse.

“It seems that antibiotics make the bacteria explode, and the toxins inside get spit out and wreak havoc,” said Dr. Buddy Creech, assistant professor of pediatric infectious diseases at Vanderbilt University School of Medicine.

There’s no other treatment to fight the bacteria.

“All we can do is give patients pain medications or put them on ventilators or dialysis if they need it,” said Dr. Robert Steele, a pediatrician at St. John’s Children’s Hospital in Springfield, Missouri. “We can’t treat the actual problem. We just wait for the body to heal itself.”

“All you can do is monitor patients and hope for the best,” Creech added.

At least this isn't spread from person to person but I sure feel bad for those that have it since there is no treatment for it. Please be in prayer for these people.

God bless

Diggindeeper
Jun 3rd 2011, 02:41 AM
Could this be just another sign of the times?

Matthew 24:6-9
6 And ye shall hear of wars and rumours of wars: see that ye be not troubled: for all these things must come to pass, but the end is not yet.

7 For nation shall rise against nation, and kingdom against kingdom: and there shall be famines, and pestilences, and earthquakes, in divers places.

8 All these are the beginning of sorrows.

9 Then shall they deliver you up to be afflicted, and shall kill you: and ye shall be hated of all nations for my name's sake.

pestilence [ˈpɛstɪləns]
n
1. (Medicine / Pathology)
a. any epidemic outbreak of a deadly and highly infectious disease, such as the plague
b. such a disease
2. an evil influence or idea

Collins English Dictionary – Complete and Unabridged HarperCollins Publishers 1991, 1994, 1998, 2000, 2003

Cornflake
Jun 3rd 2011, 05:03 AM
At least this isn't spread from person to person but I sure feel bad for those that have it since there is no treatment for it. Please be in prayer for these people.
It isn't, but it is. I mean it's not airborne or anything but there have been many e-coli cases and outbreaks spread by someone not washing their hands and preparing food, or kids in pools, or etc. There can be a secondary wave from a food-based outbreak when the infected people spread it.

RevLogos
Jun 3rd 2011, 05:56 AM
It isn't, but it is. I mean it's not airborne or anything but there have been many e-coli cases and outbreaks spread by someone not washing their hands and preparing food, or kids in pools, or etc. There can be a secondary wave from a food-based outbreak when the infected people spread it.

Yes, and they say these kinds of diseases are most often spread by children, I suppose because they don't practice quite as good hygiene.

But they seem befuddled why this disease, spread by consuming raw vegetables, has had little effect on children. I wonder...

Cornflake
Jun 3rd 2011, 06:07 AM
But they seem befuddled why this disease, spread by consuming raw vegetables, has had little effect on children. I wonder...

There may be some way it's attaching that is different or it may have some differing effect on vessels. Usually children are more severely affected, this time it seems adults are faring worse among the affected.

moonglow
Jun 3rd 2011, 03:46 PM
Could this be just another sign of the times?

Matthew 24:6-9
6 And ye shall hear of wars and rumours of wars: see that ye be not troubled: for all these things must come to pass, but the end is not yet.

7 For nation shall rise against nation, and kingdom against kingdom: and there shall be famines, and pestilences, and earthquakes, in divers places.

8 All these are the beginning of sorrows.

9 Then shall they deliver you up to be afflicted, and shall kill you: and ye shall be hated of all nations for my name's sake.

pestilence [ˈpɛstɪləns]
n
1. (Medicine / Pathology)
a. any epidemic outbreak of a deadly and highly infectious disease, such as the plague
b. such a disease
2. an evil influence or idea

Collins English Dictionary Complete and Unabridged HarperCollins Publishers 1991, 1994, 1998, 2000, 2003

I am sure they thought that during the black plague. Actually they did think that because I read a diary found written during that time and they believed the end was upon them. It was truly horrific with a third of the population in Europe dead...bodies literally laying in the streets! On an interesting note one time I was exchanging emails with a well known author that said something that never dawned on me...that the horses in Revelation have always been riding...:hmm: Which is kind of hard to deny since there have always been wars, plagues, famine, death...and salvation in the Lord. (I believe the rider on the white horse is Christ..not the antichrist like many do).

So I don't know..this is pretty bad but its only a small area in the world being affected...so far. On re-reading the Yahoo one they updated and said the out break is decreasing now...though the title says the opposite...:rolleyes:

I remember everyone thinking the bird flu would be the big plague that spread through out the world and not even that many died from it. So all we can do is watch and see. And be in prayer for these people. I know I am not going to be eating any salads! (can't anyway the way my stomach is right now).

Cornflake

RevLogos: But they seem befuddled why this disease, spread by consuming raw vegetables, has had little effect on children. I wonder...
There may be some way it's attaching that is different or it may have some differing effect on vessels. Usually children are more severely affected, this time it seems adults are faring worse among the affected.

Where are you guys reading that at? I re-read through these articles and don't see them saying that..in fact the yahoo one shows a child in the hospital sick with this and said his brother had it too but is better now..that is on their video.

God bless