PDA

View Full Version : My Daily Bible Study - Job (2)

Frances
Jun 3rd 2011, 05:14 PM
Job 1+2

What does the text say? – God said Job was blameless, he had 7 sons and 3 daughters; he also owned 7,000 sheep, 3,000 camels, 1,000 oxen, 500 female donkeys and employed many servants. Job was the richest person on the area, his sons gave feasts for each other to which they invited their sisters. Job regularly gave sacrifices on behalf of his children in case they might have unknowingly displeased God. God drew Satan’s attention to Job saying he was an exemplary person, Satan replied that it was only because God protected him, so God said Satan could do what he liked but must not harm Job’s body. Satan arranged for all Job’s children to die, his livestock to be stolen, and his servants killed. Even then Job still worshipped God; then God allowed Satan to do anything to Job except kill him. Job had painful boils from head to toe, but refused to say anything against God. 3 of Job’s friends went to comfort him, they sat silently with him for a week.

Application? – Do I accept physical difficulties and pain as tests from God? Do I thank God for every Blessing that alleviates my discomfort? Do I sit silently with those who mourn and are distressed, or do I think I must always offer a solution to their problems?

Quote:- (Rev.David Pawson)”Satan needs God’s permission to attack Job. Satan can’t touch a person who belongs to God unless God gives him permission. In the New Testament, God Promises all believers that they will never be tempted beyond what they can bear, because He controls the Tempter.”

Frances
Jun 4th 2011, 04:19 PM
Job 3-8

What does the text say? – Job spoke of his depression. Eliphaz suggested Job’s reverence for God, and his life of integrity, should give him confidence and hope, knowing that those who are innocent do not have such problems, and Job should commit his ways to God and should be joyful as God corrects him, not despise His discipline for those God wounds He also Heals. Job is not convinced, knowing he has done no wrong, his grief is too painful and he only wants to die, and pleads with God to tell him what he has done to deserve his suffering, and says he would rather die than suffer as he is. Job asks his friends to stop assuming his guilt as all human life is a struggle. Job blames God for making him so miserable. Bildad says if Job was innocent God would ensure his prosperity and health, for He will not reject a person of integrity, and can be relied on to give them consistently good things.

Application? – Am I in despair of regaining good health? Do my friends try to be helpful but go about it the wrong way, because they have never suffered as I do? Do I ever give glib, unhelpful, suggestions regarding other people’s physical or mental pain?

Frances
Jun 5th 2011, 04:57 PM
Job 9-13

What does the text say? – Job acknowledged that God is much wiser and stronger than any man and no one can oppose Him and prosper. Although Job considers himself blameless and his suffering to be caused by God and there is no mediator to encourage him to speak to God fearlessly, he wants God to tell him what he has done wrong and why He rejects him, when Job knows he is not guilty, nevertheless he pleads for a little comfort before he dies. Zophar said Job should be ashamed to mock God by claiming his life has been pure. God’s Knowledge is higher than the heavens, deeper than the underworld, broader than the earth and wider than the sea, and repentance will solve all Job’s problems. Job replied that his understanding was as great as that of his friends and he does not deserve to be mocked by them. Job said what God breaks cannot be rebuilt by anyone else, those imprisoned by Him cannot escape, if He withholds rain the land becomes a dessert, and He can cause a flood; Strength and Wisdom are His; He raises men to power and removes them from it, also He gives and removes understanding. Job says his friends platitudes are as valuable as ashes and their defence of God as fragile as a clay pot. If God kills him Job says he will continue to trust Him but continue to defend his position of innocence knowing God will save him. Job prayed that God would release him and remove his fear and tell him what he has done to displease Him.

Application? – Do I try to find a reason for everything that happens? Jesus Christ is my Mediator if I trust Him. Have I ever asked the Lord to show me if I have displeased Him, and when nothing is revealed still searched for an answer without realising that silence is an answer? Will I continue to trust the Lord whatever pain I’m in or difficulty I face?

Frances
Jun 6th 2011, 04:40 PM
Job 14-18

What does the text say? – Job observed that human beings are frail, our life is short and full of troubles. God has decided how long we will live and says even a tree has more hope, as if it is cut down it sprouts again but a person doesn’t. When man dies he will not awake until the heavens have vanished. If he believed the dead would live again God would call and Job would answer, knowing his sins would be sealed up and covered by God – but instead he has no such hope. Eliphaz said Jobs words condemned him as wise people don’t engage in empty chatter, his friends are as wise as he is, but Job has turned against God for only the wicked suffer pain and poverty. Job accuses his friends of being miserable comforters, if they were in his place and he in their’s he would try to relieve their grief. Job says God hates him and has shattered him and batters him without mercy, even though he has done no wrong – he needs someone to mediate between him and God for he will soon die. Job says his spirit is broken, he is ready to die, he has no hope. Then Bildad said Job must either talk sense or stop talking, only wicked people have the troubles Job does, for they are rejected by God.

Application? – However good my friends are they will let me down sometimes. How many times have I let my friends down? Does my searching for an answer to my friend’s physical, mental, social or spiritual problems cause them unnecessary distress?

Quote:- (David Pawson)”Job’s 3 friends all assume that we live in a ‘cause and effect’ universe . . . and try to force the facts to fit their beliefs. They take refuge in doctrine and try to force it on Job insensitively. . . . great damage can be done if we are not wise . . .The 3 friends speeches are not all bad, and they contain hints of the ultimate answer that God will bring. Job hints at a belief in life after death, but it is hard to tell if this is part of a buoyant mood swing or a settled belief.”

Frances
Jun 7th 2011, 05:12 PM
Job 19-22

What does the text say? – Job asked how long his friends intended to torment him with their reproaches when he had done nothing wrong; but God had wronged him, which had alienated his wife, relatives, friends and servants – even children despised him. In spite of all his troubles Job said “I know that my Redeemer Lives and He shall stand at last on the earth; and after my skin is destroyed, this I know, that in my flesh I shall see God” and he yearned for that time. Then Zophar said he was disturbed by Job’s insults, that from the beginning of time the triumph of the wicked has been short-lived and their gladness vanishes forever and their wealth brings them no joy as God’s anger comes on them. Then Job answered that the wicked don’t die young but enjoy long life and much power, they enjoy their children and grandchildren, their homes are safe and God doesn’t punish them, they are prosperous and die in peace – what his friends say is lies. Then Eliphaz said the Almighty gains no pleasure from Job’s supposed righteousness but Judges him for his hidden wickedness, that if he submitted to God he would be at peace, and God would answer his prayer and defend him.

Application? – do I know that my Redeemer Lives? Do I know Jesus Christ will come to earth again? Do I know that after my body has decayed I will have another body and see God? Do I know the Judgement of God will surely come?

Frances
Jun 8th 2011, 05:12 PM
Job 23-26

What does the text say? – Job expressed the desire to be able to go to God and tell Him how he felt, as he knew that then he would be acquitted. Job said of God “He knows the way I take and when He has tested me I shall come forth as gold” because he had followed God’s Ways, obeyed Him and treasured what He said. Job said God is unique and was terrified of His Power. Some people do wicked things but God does not afflict them; they are used to darkness without God, and though they may seem secure God is always watching them and, in a moment, they will be gone. Bildad said no one could be righteous before God and no person is pure; people are of no more account to Him than maggots or worms. Job asked his friends how they thought they had helped one with no strength or wisdom, what sound advise they had given? God has Created the earth and hung it on nothing, He fills the clouds with water yet they don’t break, He made the horizon and the boundary between light and darkness, He stirs up the sea and breaks up the storm, He adorned the Heavens, His whisper is small and who can comprehend the thunder of His Power?

Application? – God is always ready to listen, and answer, those to whom Jesus Christ is Lord. When God tests me will He find anything worthy of Him? Will He find me walking with Jesus Christ? Am I afraid of the unknown or do I know Jesus Christ is with me however dark and difficult life may get? Do I rebel against God in any way? Do I consider all aspects of a situation before giving any advise? Do I believe God is my Creator or that I evolved from pond-slime?

Frances
Jun 9th 2011, 05:13 PM
Job 27-31

What does the text say? – Job said that though God had made him bitter and taken away what was his by right, he would not say anything that was not true, he would maintain and defend his innocence as his conscience was clear. What hope do the Godless have? They may have children, but they will have untimely ends. Evil people may have money but Godly people will benefit from it, their wealth will vanish. Man knows how to obtain gold, silver, and precious stones, but do they know where to find wisdom and understanding? It cannot be bought, it is worth more than any amount of gold or precious stones like topaz, rubies or sapphires. Wisdom and understanding are hidden by God – He said to mankind that ‘the fear of the Lord is wisdom and to depart from evil is understanding’. Job yearned for times past when he enjoyed life, was respected and surrounded by his children, but now the riff-raff of society mock and taunt him. Job asks God to Judge him fairly, to tell him what he has done wrong, and who he has ignored when they were in need.

Application? – Is my integrity important to me? Do I seek wisdom and understanding from God? Do I value worldly wealth higher than knowledge of God? Do I yearn for the good times I have known in the past? Do I yearn for, what I perceive as ‘good times’? Do I envy those with more of this world’s goods than I enjoy? Do I help those in need or ignore them? Do I comfort those who are distressed?

Quote:- (Henry H. Halley) – “Job grows more confident in protesting his innocence . . . . he contrasts his past prosperity, happiness, honour, respect, benignity, kindness and usefulness with his present cruel suffering . . . . then he specifically denies that he had ever oppressed the poor or been covetous, or had been immoral, or had covered his sins. The only hint of idolatry in the book of Job is in 31:26-28 . . . this is one of the indications of the primitive date of the book . . . “

Frances
Jun 10th 2011, 04:40 PM
Job 32-37

What does the text say? - Eliphaz, Zophar, and Bildad stopped talking as Job considered himself righteous. Then Elihu, a young man who had respectfully listened to his elders gave his opinion – that if Job admit his sin to God, and repent, God would redeem him, his body would become healthy again, and God would restore his good standing in the community. God treats people as they deserve and does not twist justice. If God withdrew His breath all humanity would become dust. No darkness can hide the wicked from God’s sight. He said Job spoke of his righteousness but lacked insight and deserved the maximum penalty because he spoke against God, by asking what use it is to live a righteous life. Sins do not affect God only the perpetrator. It is wrong to say God does not listen and is not concerned. Elihu said he would defend God because he was very knowledgeable. God is always showing people their Sin of pride, if they obey Him all their lives will be pleasant and prosperous, but if they disregard Him they will die from lack of understanding. God is greater than we can understand. God is excellent in Power and abundant in justice.

Application? - Do I respectfully listen to others? Do I consider my thoughts are always right? Am I inclined to give long ‘speeches’ when giving my point of view? Do I repent of disobeying God? Does my righteousness improve what others think of God? Do my sins hurt just myself or other people’s impression of God? Do I listen when God speaks?

Frances
Jun 10th 2011, 04:41 PM
Job 32-37

What does the text say? - Eliphaz, Zophar, and Bildad stopped talking as Job considered himself righteous. Then Elihu, a young man who had respectfully listened to his elders gave his opinion – that if Job admit his sin to God, and repent, God would redeem him, his body would become healthy again, and God would restore his good standing in the community. God treats people as they deserve and does not twist justice. If God withdrew His breath all humanity would become dust. No darkness can hide the wicked from God’s sight. He said Job spoke of his righteousness but lacked insight and deserved the maximum penalty because he spoke against God, by asking what use it is to live a righteous life. Sins do not affect God only the perpetrator. It is wrong to say God does not listen and is not concerned. Elihu said he would defend God because he was very knowledgeable. God is always showing people their Sin of pride, if they obey Him all their lives will be pleasant and prosperous, but if they disregard Him they will die from lack of understanding. God is greater than we can understand. God is excellent in Power and abundant in justice.

Application? - Do I respectfully listen to others? Do I consider my thoughts are always right? Am I inclined to give long ‘speeches’ when giving my point of view? Do I repent of disobeying God? Does my righteousness improve what others think of God? Do my sins hurt just myself or other people’s impression of God? Do I listen when God speaks?

Frances
Jun 11th 2011, 04:55 PM
Job 38+39

What does the text say? –the Lord spoke to Job out of the whirlwind. He asked Job why he was questioning His Wisdom. He asked Job where he was when the earth was created, and who decided it’s size, and what it is fixed to, who decided it’s boundaries? God asked Job if he had ever caused the dawn to come, if he knew where the springs are under the sea, and who made the lightening? Who makes rain fall? Where does dew come from? The Lord said ‘can you direct the movement of the stars? Can you direct the seasons? Can you use the laws of the universe to regulate the earth? Can you make it rain? Who gave intuition and instinct? Who can count the clouds? Can you satisfy hungry lions? Who provides food for the ravens? Do you know the gestation period of wild goats and deer? Who set wild donkey’s free? Can you tame a wild ox and trust it to obey you? Who gives birds wisdom, or keeps it from them? Did you give the horse strength and make them fast and fearless? Do hawks and eagles make nests where you tell them?”

Application? – God has all Power and all Wisdom, I can only gratefully accept what He gives, and trust Him with the present and future. None of the things spoken of could have evolved by chance.

Frances
Jun 12th 2011, 04:07 PM
Job 40-42

What does the text say? – The Lord asked Job if he would discredit Him to try to prove he was right? Was he as strong as God? Could he tame the behemoth? Could he catch Leviathan and tame him? Who has given God anything that must be paid back, when everything under heaven belongs to Him? Job replied that he knew the Lord could do anything, and no one could stop Him; he admitted he was ignorant of many things, and had only heard of God before, but having seen Him Job repented. Then the Lord said He was angry with Job’s friends as they had not spoken accurately about Him as Job had done, so they must make a Burnt sacrifice of 7 bulls and 7 rams, then Job would pray for them and He would accept Job’s prayer on their behalf and not treat them as they deserved. They did as the Lord commanded. Then the Lord gave Job twice as much as formerly; all his brothers, sisters and friends gave him silver and gold. The Lord Blessed Job in the 2nd half of his life with twice as much as formerly; he had 14,000 sheep, 1,000 female donkeys, he also had 7 more sons and 3 more daughters. Job gave his daughters an inheritance with his sons. After this Job lived 140 years and saw 4 generations of his descendants.

Application? – Have I ever said anything against God or questioned His Judgement? Have I ever questioned whether God Created the world and everything in it? Am I determined not to do or say anything to displease the Lord? Will I sacrifice my way for His Way in future? Do I pray for those whose view of God is warped? The Lord only replaced the same number of Job’s children as the older ones were not lost, like everything else, but only separated from him by death(2 Sam 12:23).

Nyamache Josh
Jun 27th 2011, 12:07 PM
Job was an upright man who feared God so much. To that extent he usually offered burnt offerings to the Lord saying that his sons and cursed God in their hearts so he had to do it continually. Then the sons of God came to present themselves before lord and Satan and they had a discussion; where have you come from? And Satan answered, `from going to and fro on the earth, and from up and down on it’. The Lord asked him whether he has considered his servant Job that there is no one like him for he is a blameless, upright, God fearing and he has turned away from evils.