PDA

View Full Version : Discussion In Jesus Name I pray

uric3
Jun 14th 2011, 02:34 PM
We were having Bible study yesterday and the person over the study noted the following. If you say a prayer and don't say "in Jesus name I pray" there is no point in saying it and that it was useless.

I for one disagreed with it and noted I didn't think God would not hear our prayer and made note this this phrase is not found in any of the recorded prayers we have in the Bible and is merely a tradition.

Of course this sparked controversy to a degree but curious what are your thoughts on the matter? Does it matter if we include this statement, why or why not?

amazzin
Jun 14th 2011, 02:56 PM
Don't put a bunch of rules on how to pray and what to say and not say. Just speak to God as your Heavenly Father and don't make it some ceremonial thing.

notuptome
Jun 14th 2011, 03:11 PM
John 14:13 Jesus tells us that what we ask for in His name He will do. Now this is not to be seen as a special phrase that assures the prayer will be answered exactly as we have prayed it but it does recognize the source of all our strength. I think it is always a good practice when praying in public to conclude with "in Jesus name" but in private the heart attiude is more important that what we say or how we say it. It is an unfair statement to conclude that if one does not conclude with "in Jesus name" that the prayer is useless. The Holy Spirit will make intercession for us when we are so burdened in prayer that we cannot even utter the words.

For the cause of Christ
Roger

keck553
Jun 14th 2011, 03:47 PM
We were having Bible study yesterday and the person over the study noted the following. If you say a prayer and don't say "in Jesus name I pray" there is no point in saying it and that it was useless.

I for one disagreed with it and noted I didn't think God would not hear our prayer and made note this this phrase is not found in any of the recorded prayers we have in the Bible and is merely a tradition.

Of course this sparked controversy to a degree but curious what are your thoughts on the matter? Does it matter if we include this statement, why or why not?

You're conclusion is the correct one. Fortunately God knows our hearts.

But then again, Jesus is our High Priest and intercessor who can sympathize with us, so personally I respect and acknowledge His position in that regard in my prayers. "In His Name" demonstrates our acknowedgement that He sits at the right hand of the Father. Nothing wrong with that 'tradition.'

VerticalReality
Jun 14th 2011, 04:11 PM
In my view, to say a prayer "in Jesus' name" means you are speaking what has His stamp of approval on it and what is spoken at His direction. It's not some random phrase that we should ritualistically add on to the end of our prayers. I see all sorts of people adding "in Jesus' name" at the end of their prayers who aren't getting what they are asking for. That's because He didn't direct it, and it's not really in His name.

Kahtar
Jun 14th 2011, 04:21 PM
My view: nothing wrong with recognizing His position of authority and so forth. I say it myself. However, for one to say that your prayers are not heard if you DONT say it relegates the phrase to the level of incantation or magic formula, something we see alot of now days. Another is 'I declare and decree', as if saying those specific words somehow legitimizes the prayer. The attitude is you have to say a specific set of words, and say them correctly, or the prayer 'doesn't work', or 'the god doesn't hear', etc. Magic formulas and witchcraft..............

RollTide21
Jun 14th 2011, 04:24 PM

Of course this sparked controversy to a degree but curious what are your thoughts on the matter? Does it matter if we include this statement, why or why not?If we pray in the Spirit, God hears us. The words we say from our mouths are inconsequential. It's our hearts that matter. The Holy Spirit in us testifies of Christ to the Father.

Jude 20
Ephesians 6:18

That said, I do pray "in Jesus' Name". :D

uric3
Jun 14th 2011, 05:24 PM
Thanks for all the comments and thoughts and I agree, I say "In Jesus name I pray" as well I think its a good tradition. However, to say if we don't say it we won't be heard or that we have to say it or "we're doing it wrong" so to speak, now that I disagree with.

BroRog
Jun 14th 2011, 11:23 PM

Of course this sparked controversy to a degree but curious what are your thoughts on the matter? Does it matter if we include this statement, why or why not?I think you have sound reasons for your side.

Hunter121
Jun 15th 2011, 03:55 AM
Don't put a bunch of rules on how to pray and what to say and not say. Just speak to God as your Heavenly Father and don't make it some ceremonial thing.

Exactly dont try to make prayer a ritual with a set of rules you must follow.

David Taylor
Jun 15th 2011, 07:42 PM

Sounds like the person is slipping off into legalism.

What must "I" do to please God....I must offer the secret code, do the secret handshake, say the secret word, etc...

Rather than the intent of the heart; knowing that it what Christ did for us; not any legalistic mantra we do ourselves.

There are many OT and NT prayers offered to God that do not close with the phrase, "In Jesus Name"; and that tells you that it is not a legalistic requirement.

Jesus Himself, when saying the Lord's Prayer to the Father, didn't even choose to end it by saying, "in my name, amen."....so from Jesus' example Himself, we know it isn't a required phrase.

keck553
Jun 15th 2011, 07:44 PM
Jesus Himself, when saying the Lord's Prayer to the Father, didn't even choose to end it by saying, "in my name, amen."....so from Jesus' example Himself, we know it isn't a required phrase.

Oddly, the Lord's prayer is a condensed version of the amidah that was prayed by priests ritualistically three times a day in the Temple.

MoreMercy
Jun 19th 2011, 09:30 PM
I agree with: don't put a bunch of (actually any at all) rules on how to pray.
Father deals with us as individuals, deals or reacts to us where we are at in our walk toward Him, no one but Him meters His mercy.

But, on the other sides defense, when I privately petition Father for something specific, I ALWAYs preface it with: Father if I have any credit with you at all under the blood covering of Jesus your lamb, then I ask _____ in His name.

Father bless, and have mercy on all of us.

Raybob
Jun 20th 2011, 07:56 AM
The phrase "in Jesus name" is almost redundant. Our access to God is only through Jesus. I believe that if someone is a Christian, living for Jesus, they are, by nature, praying to the Father "in Jesus name" without saying those words. If an unsaved Jew or any other non-Christian prays to Father God, they are not praying to God, "in Jesus name".

T W Taylor
Jun 20th 2011, 09:15 PM
It donít say to ask in Jesus name, It says ask in His name.

I read somewhere that the Romans didnít like His name because it ended with an a, and that made it a female name, so they changed it to Jesus.

John 14:13 "And whatever you ask in My name, that I will do, that the Father may be glorified in the Son.
John 14:14 "If you ask anything in My name, I will do it.

TrustingFollower
Jun 21st 2011, 01:20 AM

I agree whole heartedly. Jesus removed the barrier between us and God, so just pray and be in conversation with your heavenly father. This is what both He and our souls desire.

mattlad22
Jun 21st 2011, 01:41 AM
I agree whole heartedly. Jesus removed the barrier between us and God, so just pray and be in conversation with your heavenly father. This is what both He and our souls desire.

I've honestly havent realy ever spent much time in this type of thought at all "in Jesus name" I pray all my prayers in the prayer Jesus gave, always have, its not what you say, God knows exactly what your coming to Him before you do, so ive always prayed "Our Father who art in heaven, ext"

I like many of the responses 8)

TrustingFollower
Jun 21st 2011, 01:52 AM
I've honestly havent realy ever spent much time in this type of thought at all "in Jesus name" I pray all my prayers in the prayer Jesus gave, always have, its not what you say, God knows exactly what your coming to Him before you do, so ive always prayed "Our Father who art in heaven, ext"

I like many of the responses 8)

I was getting at that it is more the relationship we have with God rather than what we say. God does not care if we say the word the right way, He just wants us to talk with Him and be close to Him. If you feel better saying in "Jesus' name" then go ahead and do that. God does not require it nor does He punish anyone who doesn't use those words. Simple have and work towards a closer relationship with out heavenly Father.

mattlad22
Jun 21st 2011, 01:55 AM
I was getting at that it is more the relationship we have with God rather than what we say. God does not care if we say the word the right way, He just wants us to talk with Him and be close to Him. If you feel better saying in "Jesus' name" then go ahead and do that. God does not require it nor does He punish anyone who doesn't use those words. Simple have and work towards a closer relationship with out heavenly Father.

Yep, i was voicing with you, in the same understanding 8)
Which again is spoken in truth through you again in your post.