PDA

View Full Version : U.S. cities that could disappear...........

Diggindeeper
Jun 19th 2011, 11:54 PM
Scientisits (Yes, scientists. Not Prophets!) are saying that at least 10 heavily populated cities could be wiped off the face of the earth. Is your city one of them? This is a slide show with written facts below each picture.

10 U.S. Cities That Could Disappear Tomorrow |

http://xfinity.comcast.net/slideshow/news-10citiesthatcoulddissappear/?cid=hero_media

IMINXTC
Jun 20th 2011, 12:02 AM
Xfinity is a pretty good site. Thanks.

bdh
Jun 20th 2011, 06:43 AM
The more I hear and read of these things the more it becomes apparent that "scary news" is no more about car bombs and serial killers but about industrial-scale disasters like those mentioned. Mega-scale issues that would put a modern day Jack the Ripper story on page 4 of newspapers. When one realizes this, it becomes evident that we are living in unique times and that the earth itself is in revolt. A battle we are ill-equipped to deal with and one we may yet discover we had a hand in creating.

tango
Jun 20th 2011, 09:01 AM
Scientisits (Yes, scientists. Not Prophets!) are saying that at least 10 heavily populated cities could be wiped off the face of the earth. Is your city one of them? This is a slide show with written facts below each picture.

10 U.S. Cities That Could Disappear Tomorrow |

http://xfinity.comcast.net/slideshow/news-10citiesthatcoulddissappear/?cid=hero_media

Interesting what it had to say about the Canary Island volcano resulting in a tsunami that would swamp NYC. Last I heard the estimate was that it would swamp the entire east coast, wiping out entire states.

So, for example, Florida would be submerged totally, Pennsylvania would be gone and some estimates reckoned the wave would head half way across Ohio before petering out.

Uncle Bud
Jun 20th 2011, 01:17 PM
Wouldn't the Canary Islands only cause local problems? It would be like laying a rock the size of a baseball or maybe a basketball in one end of an olympic size swimming pool and letting it sink, the other end of the pool would even be affected. Since the Islands are already on water, it wouldn't even be like dropping the rock from above the water.

I'm skeptical about predictions, even from scientists.

mattlad22
Jun 20th 2011, 02:24 PM
Wouldn't the Canary Islands only cause local problems? It would be like laying a rock the size of a baseball or maybe a basketball in one end of an olympic size swimming pool and letting it sink, the other end of the pool would even be affected. Since the Islands are already on water, it wouldn't even be like dropping the rock from above the water.

If you want a very small scale example of what would happen youtube videos on glacial chunks breaking off the shelves and falling into the water.

tango
Jun 20th 2011, 03:33 PM

We're not talking about a rock the size of a basketball, we're talking about many billions of tons of rock. That much water displaced almost instantly has to go somewhere, and "somewhere" means west.

Warrior4God
Jun 20th 2011, 04:05 PM
We're not talking about a rock the size of a basketball, we're talking about many billions of tons of rock. That much water displaced almost instantly has to go somewhere, and "somewhere" means west.

While I agree with your statement, I can't help but wonder if some of these "doom and gloom" analyses are exaggerated. Perhaps it's not intentionally done, but it makes me wonder how they come up with the results of the damage that would occur if these events did happen. I mean, how do they know for sure that a wall of water would be 200 feet tall and race across the ocean at 500 mph and obliterate most of the East Coast of the United States if a tsunami occurred off some African island? Also, what's the point of these bits of information? It's not like anything can be done to avoid the damage from any of these things if they are going to occur.

teddyv
Jun 20th 2011, 04:14 PM
One could read up on the case in Alaska years ago where a wave generated by a landslide into a bay sent three fishing boats anchored for the night right over the land and into the open ocean. Here's a link to that event at Lituya Bay: http://www.extremescience.com/zoom/index.php/earth-records/20-biggest-wave

Hunter121
Jun 20th 2011, 04:15 PM
I'm glad I don't live on the new madrid fault line in Tennessee, I'm middle.

teddyv
Jun 20th 2011, 04:28 PM
Actually reading through the list only a few cities would actually be "wiped off the map" - just more hyperbole. A big earthquake in Memphis would be bad, but it's not like everyone will simply move away after the fact. A chemical poisoning would be horrible, but again, it's not like the city is going to disappear. As far as Philadelphia, one word: dykes.

tango
Jun 20th 2011, 05:59 PM
While I agree with your statement, I can't help but wonder if some of these "doom and gloom" analyses are exaggerated. Perhaps it's not intentionally done, but it makes me wonder how they come up with the results of the damage that would occur if these events did happen. I mean, how do they know for sure that a wall of water would be 200 feet tall and race across the ocean at 500 mph and obliterate most of the East Coast of the United States if a tsunami occurred off some African island? Also, what's the point of these bits of information? It's not like anything can be done to avoid the damage from any of these things if they are going to occur.

Sure, it's entirely possible they are overstated, and as you say they are the kind of things that we know might wipe us all out but we can't do anything about it.

We could figure that the east coast is vulnerable to a monster tsunami and evacuate people west, in which case we'd just see a whole swathe of the US abandoned for probably minimal benefit while putting more people in the path of some other danger.

It's a bit like the signs warning of falling rocks. What exactly are you supposed to do with that piece of information? If a rock falls from above it's not as if you get to do much about it before you go to meet your maker.

moonglow
Jun 21st 2011, 02:53 AM
I guess none of you watch the History channel on a regular basis..the scientist regularly speculate on there how the earth (not cities) but the earth will meet its doom. These are just speculations too. I used to watch because first I like the special effects they use...but after awhile it gets pretty gloomy and depressing and makes you feel like what's the point of living when we are all doomed to die in some horrible way? They covered the planet being hit by asteroids, the sun going nova, Gamma-ray bursts that would fry the planet in an instance...my person favorite because it would happen so fast you wouldn't even know you were dead. I don't watch those shows anymore...too depressing.

CTaT8rjJVOc

The bible tells us is Christ that holds all things together...so actually its amazing these things haven't happened...being a very, very small planet in a massive universe helps. We aren't a big target by any means.

God bless

Uncle Bud
Jun 21st 2011, 01:49 PM
Right, but I'm not talking about a basketball sized rock in the Atlantic, but in a swimming pool. Thats the scale that came to mind.

canvasjockey
Jun 21st 2011, 03:18 PM
:eek: Yikes! I did not expect to see Tucson (wildfire) on there - weird timing!

Arizona is on fire, including the Monument fire less than an hour south of us, though ironically nothing in or near Tucson (so far). I'm worried about the fourth of July - I don't think they'll allow any professional firework displays, but this is the first Independence Day that it's legal to buy fireworks in AZ, they're front and center in every grocery and drug store in town. They've banned use of them in the city, and now probably the county as long as there's a fire danger - but they're still for sale and I'm pretty sure that some people will ignore the ban. Yippee.

tango
Jun 21st 2011, 04:10 PM
Right, but I'm not talking about a basketball sized rock in the Atlantic, but in a swimming pool. Thats the scale that came to mind.

If you displace hundreds of billions of gallons of water they have to go somewhere, so the result is a tsunami. Just like if you shook a stone slab at the bottom of a swimming pool it wouldn't make much difference but if a tectonic plate shakes at the bottom of the ocean it does.

Uncle Bud
Jun 23rd 2011, 01:05 PM
I think the tsunami would weaken the further west it goes, though.

tango
Jun 23rd 2011, 04:15 PM
I think the tsunami would weaken the further west it goes, though.

I'm not an expert in tsunamis (anyone who is feel free to correct me here), as I understand it the wave is very small as it moves through the deep water (perhaps a metre or so) but as it reaches shallower water it surges.

I'm pretty sure that major earth tremors in the middle of the Pacific can bring very nasty consequences many hundreds or thousands of miles away.

mattlad22
Jun 23rd 2011, 04:31 PM
I'm not an expert in tsunamis (anyone who is feel free to correct me here), as I understand it the wave is very small as it moves through the deep water (perhaps a metre or so) but as it reaches shallower water it surges.

I'm pretty sure that major earth tremors in the middle of the Pacific can bring very nasty consequences many hundreds or thousands of miles away.

Im not an expert either but as you have said is exactly wha i have been taught regarding them.

teddyv
Jun 23rd 2011, 05:05 PM
The energy in a tsunami would be reduced slightly as the wave front expands away from the source, since the wave front is getting a larger and larger radius. I'm sure one can actually reasonably calculate the decrease in energy. Certainly in the recent Japanese quake, the coast of Japan received a pretty major tsunami, Hawaii got about a 6 foot wave and there was something close to that on the US westcoast (I think someone was actually killed at Crescent City, CA).

Another key component is the geometry of the beach. Again in Japan, the worst was in these low lying estuary/river valley where the incoming wave would just flow up the land. Rock bottoms to beaches would create enough drag and use up some of the effective energy. Given a big enough wave, this may not really effect the outcome that much.

Faithful One
Jun 24th 2011, 03:13 AM
:eek: Yikes! I did not expect to see Tucson (wildfire) on there - weird timing!

Arizona is on fire,

Hi CJ;
That is interesting that you brought that up. Yesterday the Holy Spirit began leading me into a study of the amount of damage that will be caused by FIRE in the last days before Christ's return.

As terrible as the Arizona fires are, it is apparently nothing compared to the horror from the fires that are to come.
Its going to be far more damaging than most people expect, certainly more than I expected before studying this :
Specifically, Joel speaks about the destruction upon the earth due to fire:

" Alas, for the day! for the day of the Lord is at hand, and as a destruction from the Almighty shall it come.
....how do the beast groan, the herds of cattle are perplexed because they have no pasture.
....for the FIRE has devoured the pastures of the wilderness, and the FLAME has burned all the trees of the field.
The beasts of the fields cry also unto thee : for the rivers of waters are dried up, and the FIRE has devoured the pastures of the wilderness." Joel 1:15-20

I began to realize that this will not be a local event , but apparently, FIRE is part of the curse that shall devour the earth in the very last days due to the inhabitants breaking God's laws, and the fire shall result in massive deaths worldwide:

Isaiah has something interesting to say in that regard:
" Behold, the Lord maketh the earth empty, and maketh it waste, and turneth it upside down , and scatereth the inhabitants thereof.....
....The land shall be utterly emptied, and utterly spoiled, for the Lord has spoken this word. The earth mourns and fades away, the world languishes and fades away, the haughty people of the earth do languish. The earth also is defiled under the inhabitants thereof, because they have transgressed the laws, changed the ordinance, and broken the everlasting covenant.
Therefore hath the CURSE devoured the earth....therefore the inhabitants of the earth ARE BURNED, and FEW men are left." (Isaiah 24:1-6)

WOW! Now that is scary! :eek:

This probably corresponds to the time of the sounding of the first trumpet judement in Revelation. 8 :
"The first angel sounded, and there was hail and FIRE, mingled with blood, and they were cast upon the earth; and the third part of the trees was burned up, and all the green grass was burned up"

Yikes!:help:

Praying for you guys in Arizona...:pray:

Uncle Bud
Jun 24th 2011, 01:27 PM
It was a tsunami that got us off the island in 1978 if you've seen the movie (after I found a metal disk from a satelite).

http://i183.photobucket.com/albums/x141/rewriter42/aa/RescueFromGilligansIsland4.jpg?t=1242405866

Faithful One
Jun 24th 2011, 01:35 PM
It was a tsunami that got us off the island in 1978 if you've seen the movie.

http://i183.photobucket.com/albums/x141/rewriter42/aa/RescueFromGilligansIsland4.jpg?t=1242405866

Nice rig.
Where's the "No Smoking" sign??

Uncle Bud
Jun 24th 2011, 01:38 PM
The Skipper forgot to put it up. Glad I cooked the fish though and hut caught fire, that's how the Coast Guard spotted us.